Extremely dangerous cache....how do I get it removed?

Jusl89

Since someone else already accepted his apology, I decided to actually take a look at the cache in question. I discovered a couple of things.

First, TeamAlamo lives in California, not Texas. Go figure.

Second, I can't find the danger associated with this cache. Granted, it's hidden near a cactus, but aren't many, many caches hidden near some sort of prickly or poisonous plant? Heck, the simple searching for caches often requires keeping an eye out for plants or animals that we don't want to have a bad encounter with. I completely disagree that the fact that the cache is near a road makes it dangerous. The road doesn't look terribly dangerous to me and there is easy parking at the church that is a few hundred feet away.

50dcaac0-09d5-43df-9b4f-b3224c1f71b5.jpg

<edit> Note the number of cars on the road.

Edited by sbell111

I've found numerous hides where thorns were hiked through or in the way of the cache in some form. In fact, my own cache is hidden under a thorn bush. The hint specifically says that you may want a stick. There are several sticks laying around so you can push aside the bush and retrieve the cache. Granted I did poked when I placed the cache, but I'm guessing most people that are in anyway familar with the outdoors won't be silly enough to stick their hand right in there without realizing that it's not going to feel very good! :laughing:

The OP must not have spent enough time out in nature! My 3 year old twins have been outside enough to know that thorn bushes and cacti are sharp! :unsure:

The road doesn't look terribly dangerous to me and there is easy parking at the church that is a few hundred feet away.

Wait a minute, isn't that a sidewalk next to the coordinates? The kind made so people can walk along the street out of the way of cars.

So basically the OP is having trouble crossing the street. Someone call him a boyscout for next time he goes caching.

Since someone else already accepted his apology, I decided to actually take a look at the cache in question. I discovered a couple of things.

First, TeamAlamo lives in California, not Texas. Go figure.

Second, I can't find the danger associated with this cache. Granted, it's hidden near a cactus, but aren't many, many caches hidden near some sort of prickly or poisonous plant? Heck, the simple searching for caches often requires keeping an eye out for plants or animals that we don't want to have a bad encounter with. I completely disagree that the fact that the cache is near a road makes it dangerous. The road doesn't look terribly dangerous to me and there is easy parking at the church that is a few hundred feet away.

hmm! at least 3 swimming pools and a tennis court nearby.

someone could drown or get hit in the noggin with a tennis ball. :laughing:

I've found numerous hides where thorns were hiked through or in the way of the cache in some form. In fact, my own cache is hidden under a thorn bush. The hint specifically says that you may want a stick. There are several sticks laying around so you can push aside the bush and retrieve the cache. Granted I did poked when I placed the cache, but I'm guessing most people that are in anyway familar with the outdoors won't be silly enough to stick their hand right in there without realizing that it's not going to feel very good! :laughing:

The OP must not have spent enough time out in nature! My 3 year old twins have been outside enough to know that thorn bushes and cacti are sharp! :unsure:

It's funny you mention thorns. Though you can list it as one of the attributes, we didn't on the one hide of ours that involves a thorny area until someone mentioned it (he wasn't mad, just thought it would be courteous to note it in his log for future finders, which we're OK with). So then I added the attribute (though his log was there as well). I agree that thorns don't automatically make it a "bad" cache, nor even not "kid friendly" because even small kids usually know better.....

I have it on good authority that, not only is the traffic as the pic above indicates, but there are no cactus plants by the cache. This comes from someone who found that cache.

<moderator edit>

There are quite a few cacti in the immediate search area for that cache, but it can be retrieved without impaling oneself. (I have found the cache.) I will agree with you on the traffic issue. I don't remember it being a concern during the search. In the Davis area, I'd worry more about a cyclist barrelling down the bike trail...

Edited by Quiggle
<moderator edit>

If OP is a new guy I'd suspect the later. Unfortunately he assumed the coordinates were correct and it distubed him to know that this new game he discovered had such irresponsible players. Hopefully he can realize the mistake and get back into the game but after taking such a drubbing here I kind of doubt it.

Too bad the second or third post didn't bring up this possibility so OP could make a statement something like, "Maybe I did get the coordinates wrong. I'll go back out and check". Then this topic would have maxed out at about 6 posts instead of 5 pages. (Note to self: If cacher's profile doesn't show a find for the cache it could be that he has the wrong coordinates. Let's ask next time.) I didn't think of that possibility even though I went to his profile page early on.

Edited by Team Sagefox

Just my 2 cents on this topic. It's been very interesting reading...

The first 5 or 6 posts were on topic and everyone was somewhat level-headed...

This post was made "Cache placer has 17603 finds. Person complaining has 1 find." and then all heck broke loose.

I only bring this up because it's been my experience that people tend to get attacked when they post in the forums. Especially if someone may not be up to speed with terminology or is new to the game.

I also think that this is probably a sock puppet account, but I don't think anyone realized that until after the attacks started. Perhaps we can all learn something from how this thread turned out.

This post was made "Cache placer has 17603 finds. Person complaining has 1 find." and then all heck broke loose. ...

Mr. T's post may have been what incited 'all heck breaking loose, but I don't think there was anything wrong with his post. He was merely bringing up the point that a cacher with 17,000 finds may know more about whether a hide is appropriate than a cacher with 1 find.

trackinthebox Jusl89's response was inappropriate and helped break heck loose.

:laughing:

Cache placer has 17603 finds. Person complaining has 1 find.

What a superficial idiot you are. All it takes to increase your find number is to write a "found" note in a cache. I hope you have more mental capacities than this.

Since it was brought up, I may as well respond. I think that Jusl89 calling me a superficial idiot really doesn't go far enough. I spent a good deal of time on the forums last week arguing that "The find count is useless for comparing cachers" So if my post comes across looking like I am comparing the OP and TeamAlamo, I'm not just a superficial idiot, by a hypocrite as well :unsure: I guess the point I was trying to make is that an cacher with as much experience as TeamAlamo would have some idea of what constitutes a dangerous cache and when it is necessary to reveal the dangers. The OP may have 1000 finds, but by using an account that appears to have only one find, I have to question whether they realize that many caches are placed near roads and that some caches are hidden in pointy plants for a reason. I think my other (somewhat rhetorical) question:

Troll? or just someone who had a bad experience geocaching and is looking to get his account banned?

has been answered. Edited by tozainamboku

One more time:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=boardrules

Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

Thanks for your cooperation.

I took a look at the cache. Being so far away - I'll never be in danger :P

It does seem to be in a place that people can get "poked" - I have no idea about fast cars. Should it be removed? Doesn't look like it. However, if I'm ever worried about a cache, I would politely e-mail the owner, outline my experiences, and then (hopefully) the owner would post a short note on the listing saying something to the effect of "watch out for cars, and you may want to avoid bringing children to this cache due to pokey bushes".

It *is* a little sad that the OP's sincere concern has ended up as a non-conversation though. (only in my opinion of course - continue the battle as you see fit)

You could read this

http://www.geocaching.com/about/disclaimer.aspx

Especially the big bold lettered sentence in the middle.

Actually, I think there is a real issue with potentially dangerous caches but in my experience cache owners are very responsive when problems are brought to their attention. If they aren't then you could always log a "needs archiving" and let it progress from there.

I have come across two caches where I felt uncomfortable with the safety aspects. In one case I was the first to search for it and the co-ordinates were wrong. Fine except this one was at the top of a mountain and the co-ordinates listed were for the top of a clif. As it happened I was there on a clear day and could see the danger but it would have been too easy for someone looking for the cache in more normal mountain weather to end up very dead. I noted this in the log and it was fixed very quickly. The cache owner emailed thanking

me and appologising.

In the other case a well respected local cache owner placed a magnetic on the underside of a bridge over a high speed road. The cache itself was safe as it was above the central reservation. My objection was that while searching for it other cachers could quite easily drop something onto cars below. Within days the cache was moved to a safer location.

Let's face it, no one wants to be responsible for causing a serious accident. Often it's just that the cache owner doesn't see the danger when placing the cache. I'd be very interested to hear the outcome if the OP were to raise the issue with the cache owner. Of course that would require him to do so in reasonable terms which doesn't seem too likely.

Wow. this thread is still alive?

Not really. The OP has been shown to have made an egregious error and has been mostly lambasted by many forum regulars and irregulars. A few folks got out of hand, Quiggle and other stepped in, some wrists were slapped, a llama was sighted and the OP has faded back to the sock drawer.

So, I guess it's not really alive... just one of the Nosferatu.

I've found numerous hides where thorns were hiked through or in the way of the cache in some form. In fact, my own cache is hidden under a thorn bush. The hint specifically says that you may want a stick. There are several sticks laying around so you can push aside the bush and retrieve the cache. Granted I did poked when I placed the cache, but I'm guessing most people that are in anyway familar with the outdoors won't be silly enough to stick their hand right in there without realizing that it's not going to feel very good! :P

The OP must not have spent enough time out in nature! My 3 year old twins have been outside enough to know that thorn bushes and cacti are sharp! :D

It's funny you mention thorns. Though you can list it as one of the attributes, we didn't on the one hide of ours that involves a thorny area until someone mentioned it (he wasn't mad, just thought it would be courteous to note it in his log for future finders, which we're OK with). So then I added the attribute (though his log was there as well). I agree that thorns don't automatically make it a "bad" cache, nor even not "kid friendly" because even small kids usually know better.....

I think the thorn attribute is just a heads up to come prepared to deal with thorns, not a warning to avoid them. If I'm hunting a cache and know there will be thorns I won't wera shorts to it but I'll still go.

This post was made "Cache placer has 17603 finds. Person complaining has 1 find." and then all heck broke loose.

I only bring this up because it's been my experience that people tend to get attacked when they post in the forums. Especially if someone may not be up to speed with terminology or is new to the game.

I also think that this is probably a sock puppet account, but I don't think anyone realized that until after the attacks started. Perhaps we can all learn something from how this thread turned out.

I think he did the attacking, the rest was retaliation. I have yet to be attacked by anybody here, I'm starting to feel unloved... (sniff) :P:D

I think he did the attacking, the rest was retaliation. I have yet to be attacked by anybody here, I'm starting to feel unloved... (sniff) :D:P

Sheesh. Not even 300 posts and this newbie thinks his "feelings" really matter.

:P Something is going to kill me sooner or later. That's pretty sobering. It's a 100% chance of a fatality in my future. :D I'm going to die! :P Aaaah! :D Maybe if I stop geocaching. Or...maybe if I stop getting out of bed. ;) Darn it! Why do I have to die?! :D

Oh, well :P I guess I was destined to become a buried cache one day. :D

*monty python voice* Ok So you may die then, cheerio.

The road doesn't look terribly dangerous to me and there is easy parking at the church that is a few hundred feet away.

Wait a minute, isn't that a sidewalk next to the coordinates? The kind made so people can walk along the street out of the way of cars.

So basically the OP is having trouble crossing the street. Someone call him a boyscout for next time he goes caching.

Hey OP!: You are a Boy Scout!

*done*

Geez. Half a million caches out there and you're complaining about one. Just go find another one and let the real cachers decide for themselves. People actually can think for themselves, you know?

If you think it's dangerous, then just write that in the log and let others make up their own minds. If I was caching with little ones and saw a note like that, I wouldn't even try it.

I think you're justified to state your position and warn folks, but as far as removing it? Not your business.

Ok, ok. I got on his case for wearing sandals while cactus caching. So a year later he was doing much better and had socks and shoes on. I'm sure that everyone can breathe a huge sigh of relief now.

8b72d667-2241-41da-be16-cf3fdf00c0c7.jpg

What's with the shorts? :ph34r:

Where's the kilt? :anicute:

It was too heavy to pack. Oh, but that brings up bad images. :laughing:

I found this cache and was accompanied by the owner AND the person who supplied the camo. The OP is probably mad that they couldn't find the good camoed cache

The OP has to be a troll. The cache is about 10-15 south of the bike path in the aerial photo. Yeah, I got jabbed by a spine, but it was my own fault. The only way I could see getting hit while searching for this one is if you were jabbed by a spine and started running around screaming in pain and ran out into the road. There's more danger in getting caought by security in the area than getting hit.

After the OP's time out, do you think he will come back? The best thing about this thread is Torry's top ten list. That pig is a GENIUS.

We had a cache around here that was way way up in a tree on a limb overhanging the river. It was around for years and only a handful of people could get to it to log it. No one ever reported getting hurt. Some others claimed smileys just because they "saw" the container.The owner is absent so can't delete the phoney finds (we believe you have to actually retrieve the container and sign the log to claim a find, but that's not a universally held opinion.) Then a well-meaning noob cacher took it upon himself to move the container to a "safer" location. We told him that that was not the way to handle the situation (again , our opinion)--we sparred in the local forums, then met and shared some beers...(I know the vet told me not to drink, but)... The "safer" location was a tall rotted leaning tree stump by the bank. Yeah, so next a cacher broke that stump and fell into the river--but luckily wasn't injured. The wet cacher and crew rehid it way up in a tree again. Go figure.

I guess what I'm trying to say is danger is in the eye of the beholder...

We recently had a cacher hurt his ankle by tripping over a branch on the ground covered by leaves deep in the woods while searching for one of our caches. He went to the ER but no breaks, thank goodness--but there are inherent dangers to many activities, aren't there?

And what it boils down to, is to use common sense. Lead Dog almost killed himself getting stuck in quick-sand /icy mud while trying to walk to an island cache at low tide--I wasn't with him that time, but he came back without his boots... God Bless him!!!

Happy Turkey day everyone! :P

See you at MWGB 2007!

Okay, so after wading through the pages I decided to brave the fire and post regarding the original question...

I found this describing one cache and I think it has some wonderful points on geocaching safety and common sense:

An easy 1.

You are looking for a micro container. Please replace exactly as found, and make sure the container is properly sealed. TO GET CREDIT FOR THIS FIND YOU MUST EMAIL ME THE KEYWORD THAT IS FOUND AT THE BEGINING OF THE LOG. FAILURE OF ME RECEIVING YOUR EMAIL OF THE KEYWORD, MEANS THAT YOUR LOG ENTRY WILL MEET THE LOG TERMINATOR.

People that do not wish to do a cache because of any danger they might perceive to be present is certainly within their right to not procede. However you do not have the right to try to ruin the enjoyment of others in attempting a find, that is beyond your capabilities, but not beyond theirs. This goes for almost every caching event there is. After all one might run into spiders, snakes, poisonous plants, trips and falls and the list goes on.

Safety First! .......Take a friend, Look out for others, take a cell phone if possible, watch where you're stepping, NEVER UNCOVER ANY CACHE WITH YOUR HANDS OR FEET, USE A STICK! If you feel uncomfortable in doing a cache, for any reason, just walk away!!!

I think the OP has a valid point of asking how an unsafe cache be removed, however one must do some investigating on some of these caches before they are declared as unsafe. One must remember that a cache reviewer has already looked into caches before they are published. Then look at the posts of the caches, the above mentioned cache has many posts which refer to being pricked by cacti, but the cache was so good they thought it was worth the pain. As a parent and a cacher I look into logs and descriptions before going out with my kids, I rarely :) let them jump out of the SUV before looking for cars and or other dangers around. Anyway, I digress. If you consider a cache as unsafe simply e-mail, calmly, the owner of the cache and state your concerns. If nothing comes from that then you can e-mail a local reviewer of the cache area and ask them to investigate it some more. Let them decide if the cache needs to be removed. It is not the responsibility of normal cachers to remove caches, if it is too unsafe for you don't do it and contact the owner.

:mad:

Edited by DSine