Extremely dangerous cache....how do I get it removed?

Jusl89

I want to know the real story here.

seems this is a smurf account intended to try to cause trouble for the cache placer. Maybe just a really dumb guy? (special?)

no, cactus can't hurt you unless you grab them.

no, standing near a road won't hurt you, and roads don't move suddenly.

the cache placement appears to be near a bike trail, there doesn't appear to be mildly dangerous, not to mention extremely dangerous.

Not sure what you are going for here, but if you are truly concerned about the danger, you shouldn't be, that location is much safer than most city sidewalks.

That aint the real story. The real story is that this geocach is a disaster waiting to happen. Realisitically, it is a trap, designed to get people hurt. Think of this: You put a <censored> geocach in the middle of a spikey briar and you tell people to get it. First, you fool them into believing that it is worthwhile to get the cach. Then by doing that you put people in a position where they are likely to sustain physical harm. That is the definition of a trap and traps are set up by sadists and they should be banned.

<Edited by moderator to remove further potty language>

Edited by Keystone

Is it bad that I want people to die looking for my cache, even though I warned them?

You get some sort of points or special award for that, don't you? And I think the rules have something about double points awarded if you can kill someone with a micro.

Maybe leave a live scorpion as the FTF prize in a film canister!

YOu think thats funny? THAT IS DANGEROUS. Children go on these geocaches and have a great time. Yet we have sick deviants like you that try to make this some kind of cuthroat activity. If I wanted to do that I would go join a gladitorial battle with a bunch of sick freaks like you so I could eviscerate all of you fools and stick you up on spikes. Does that entertain you? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

<Edited by moderator to remove potty language.>

I for one am entertained. B) Mostly by this: <Edited by moderator to remove potty language.> :anibad::o

I for one am entertained. B) Mostly by this: <Edited by moderator to remove potty language.> :anibad::o

Yeah, but I can't imagine Keystone's gonna find it entertaining to have to keep doing that...... :D

Edit: I wonder if we can get him to fix the spelling mistakes while he's editing the posts? B)

Edited by IV_Warrior

Yeah, but I can't imagine Keystone's gonna find it entertaining to have to keep doing that...... B)

You know me well. :D But please feel free to continue discussing this very important issue.

Caches are rated according to their difficulty and you should choose those that fit your ability. Don't blame others just because you were unprepared.

If it were me hunting this cache I would have read the previous logs and chosen PPE (snake chaps, gloves, etc.) that would protect me from all the things mentioned in those logs. When I arrived at the destination and saw the heavy traffic I might have decided to come back on a Sunday morning when the road wasn't so busy. There are ways to make caching safer without shutting down listings.

I have passed on many caches because I didn't want to be near heavy traffic, muggles, or any other uncomfortable situation. It's called <gasp> COMMON SENSE!

OOOoOOooo

Can I play Devil's Advocate?

J89-dude will say "then it's common sense NOT to place a cache there in the first place." Just betcha. :anibad:

Edited by Snoogans
You put a geocach in the middle of a spikey briar and you tell people to get it. That is the definition of a trap.

No, these are the definitions of "Trap":

trap:  /træp/ –noun

1. a contrivance used for catching game or other animals, as a mechanical device that springs shut suddenly.

2. any device, stratagem, trick, or the like for catching a person unawares.

3. traps, the percussion instruments of a jazz or dance band.

4. the piece of wood, shaped somewhat like a shoe hollowed at the heel, and moving on a pivot, used in playing the game of trapball.

5. Slang. mouth: Keep your trap shut.

6. Chiefly British. a carriage, esp. a light, two-wheeled one.

–verb (used with object) 14. to catch in a trap; ensnare: to trap foxes.

7. to catch by stratagem, artifice, or trickery.

8. to furnish or set with traps.

9. to engage in the business of trapping animals for their furs.

10. Trapshooting, Skeet. to work the trap.

If someone places a cache in a briarpatch, next to a busy roadway, my first job is to assess the situation. My first step would be to recognise that roads are often used by motor vehicles. My personal experience tells me that getting hit by a motor vehicle can cause injury to my person, so I would tend to pay attention to my surroundings whilst hunting this cache. Assuming the briars aren't of the invisible variety, I'm going to see them during my aforementioned assessment. Since I know they are there, and since I've been painfully poked by thorns in the past, I would take steps to avoid them.

Darwin once opined that a species too stupid inattentive to survive rarely does so. If you are so stupid inattentive that you can't engage in a task which 40+ people somehow survived, perhaps it would be best if you eliminated yourself from the gene pool through natural selection. Life has risks. Geocaching has risks. Statistically you are in much greater danger driving to that cache than you would be in hunting it. I don't need you holding my hand while I cache. Please don't try to get a cache archived simply because you think I can't find it safely.

I have passed on many caches because I didn't want to be near heavy traffic, muggles, or any other uncomfortable situation. It's called <gasp> COMMON SENSE!

OOOoOOooo

Can I play Devil's Advocate?

J89-dude will say "then it's common sense NOT to place a cache there in the first place." Just betcha. :anibad:

You have a good point there. :o

Revised edition:

I have passed on many caches because I didn't feel comfortable near heavy traffic, muggles, or any other situation where I'm not in my element. It's called <gasp> COMMON SENSE! If you don't feel comfortable with a certain cache, go to the next one, and let those who are comfortable with it have their fun.

Maybe leave a live scorpion as the FTF prize in a film canister!

YOu think thats funny?

Abso-fragging-lutely! It's hi-larious!

Yet we have sick deviants like you that try to make this some kind of cuthroat activity.

Deviancy is a function of distance from the center of a bell curve. Look around at this thread. Any guess where you fall on the bell curve? That's right - you're the deviant here. The rest of us A) are capable of assessing a situation for potential danger, :anibad: able to walk away from a cache that we consider beyond our ability or danger threshold, and C) have a sense of humor.

Think about it like this. I could open up an ice cream shop. But my ice cream shop puts razor blades in the ice cream. It's up to you to assesss the risk whether to buy ice cream or not. So you cut your mouth on my ice cream. You go to the police. The police say "Hey buddy, its up to YOU to decide whehther u want to buy ice cream from this guy."

Anyone care to join me for dessert? :anibad:

Happy Caching!

Jeff

no, cactus can't hurt you unless you grab them.

Beg to differ

I agree. I once had a cactus look at me sternly while using harsh language. My self esteme was ruined. :anibad:

I don't know about y'all, but I'm with the OP on this one. I'm getting awfully sick of roadside Cactus Spew. Or should that be Cacti spew?

Darwin once opined that a species too stupid inattentive to survive rarely does so. If you are so stupid inattentive that you can't engage in a task which 40+ people somehow survived, perhaps it would be best if you eliminated yourself from the gene pool through natural selection. Life has risks. Geocaching has risks. Statistically you are in much greater danger driving to that cache than you would be in hunting it. I don't need you holding my hand while I cache. Please don't try to get a cache archived simply because you think I can't find it safely.

Hitler was Darwin's biggest fan, incidentally. I'm not joking.

I don't know about y'all, but I'm with the OP on this one. I'm getting awfully sick of roadside Cactus Spew.

I bet you differ from the OP in at least one important way - you're probably bright enough to decide if a given cache exceeds your comfort zone, and not do it.

Noooooo! No Hitler references. Now Goodwin's law is invoked. Besides, The OP is supposed to bring him up.

Noooooo! No Hitler references. Now Goodwin's law is invoked. Besides, The OP is supposed to bring him up.

Goodwins law?

Could someone bring me up to speed on that one?

Please stick to ice cream analogies. Ice cream analogies are much better than Holocaust analogies when posting on the internet.

Godwin's Law

Edited by tozainamboku

Please stick to ice cream analogies. Ice cream analogies are much better than Holocaust analogies when posting on the internet.

Godwin's Law

Thanks, now that you pointed it out I do recall having heard of it someplace.

I guess that's what happens when us computer illiterates try to keep up with you computer savy types.

Godwin's Law

Thanks Mr. T, my bad for not providing a link. By the way, love your new show on Nick@Nite

I Pity the fool

This cache is much more dangerous, should it not be allowed?

If you don't tell them that they may be killed, yes it should be removed.

You can get a RF burn while operating a HAM radio if you're not careful - BANNED!

You can break a leg while hiking - BANNED!

You can get hurt by using a weapon while re-enacting (pick your time period/war) - BANNED!

You can develope wrist problems playing on a computer - BANNED!

I can go on and on but the point is ALL of these above mentioned hobbies can get you hurt. No one is holding a gun to your head making you go out and get that cache. Others have found it safely. If you really have an issue with it, offer to meet the cache hider and talk to him about it.

Hey, it's a hobby....have some fun!!!!!

Just the other day, I had to use a 2-iron (golf club) to remove a cache from a large patch of cactus. In reality, this cache should have been listed as a "5" for difficulty because noone can use a 2-iron well. I took my chances and pulled off the "shot" but it was touch-and-go there for a minute. If I had sliced/hooked that retrieval, who knows what might have happened!!

Edited by Sherman T. Potter

Jusl89, since you claim to have so many finds, can you list your top 5 favorites so we can assess their degree of danger?

I would ask you to post your favorite hide (and see how dangerous/interesting it sounds), but that would reveal your true identity, which you (understandably) want to hide.

Thanks.

I have found the cache the OP complains about. Our daughter was with us (age 7 at the time.) We parked across the road, but once we had crossed I don't recall the cars really being an issue. Yes, it was a tricky hide. The cactus, naturally, greatly adds to the challenge. Our daughter kept her fingers back and was in no danger. We looked for quite some time before finding it.

I agree this cache may not be for everyone, but I don't agree with archiving. One great thing about caching is that you are free to pass on any hides you don't like.

Y'know... realistically, it's significantly more probable that I will die from a mugger slitting my throat to steal my wallet than get hit by a car while downtown.

Should we ban all of our caches in the city? Perhaps the only caches we should have are no less than 2.5 km from the nearest point of civilization.

But in an easy spot, so you don't get poked by a prickly bush.

Oh, and don't forget to ban any where you have to cross any kind of area that could contain flowers, or any pollin-containing plant. If someone's going to the cache, and they get stung by a bee, and they're allergic to bees... well, then this game is obviously way too dangerous for people.

Also, there should be a rule that when geocaching, you have to wear a helmet at all times. With a face-guard.

[Noooooo! No Hitler references. Now Goodwin's law is invoked. Besides, The OP is supposed to bring him up.

Well, you know... Nazi references seem to be all in vogue in the forums today. I couldn't resist.

Godwin's Law

I was waiting for you to say that. Incidentally, Godwin's law refers to analogies, which are mere symbolic references. That would be saying something like, "you're acting like a Nazi." The statement "Hitler was Darwin's biggest fan," is not of a symbolic or analogous nature, and, hence Godwin's law does not technically apply. One might argue the historocity of the statement, but it was not meant to make a metaphorical or analogous point. Even so, I must admit I just said it to see if I could get my name in a quote box. It's been a while and I'm anxious for attention. :anibad:

Think about it like this. I could open up an ice cream shop. But my ice cream shop puts razor blades in the ice cream. It's up to you to assesss the risk whether to buy ice cream or not. So you cut your mouth on my ice cream. You go to the police. The police say "Hey buddy, its up to YOU to decide whehther u want to buy ice cream from this guy."

Anyone care to join me for dessert? :anibad:

Happy Caching!

Jeff

TOO TOO funny!!!! :o

Not every cache is for every person. If you don't feel safe, skip it and move on to the next one. Just because you don't think it's safe doesn't mean it needs removed from the website.

You are wrong because it DOES need to be removed. Someone could get seriously hurt trying to find this cache, and they wouldn't even know it.

So you are saying I can hide a cache with coordinates that are near train tracks and not tell anyone that a train may come and hit them at any time? You may want to consider changing your policy.

Trains travel on Train tracks? and could come at ay time? :anibad: GASP!!! I never knew. I got to see this train on a train track for myself :o

Not every cache is for every person. If you don't feel safe, skip it and move on to the next one. Just because you don't think it's safe doesn't mean it needs removed from the website.

You are wrong because it DOES need to be removed. Someone could get seriously hurt trying to find this cache, and they wouldn't even know it.

So you are saying I can hide a cache with coordinates that are near train tracks and not tell anyone that a train may come and hit them at any time? You may want to consider changing your policy.

Tracks = Trains, Roads = Cars, Airports = Airplanes, Water = Drowning ,if you don’t like it don’t do it.

Maybe all Geocaching should be banned. You could breathe paint fumes while painting a container or get a papercut while putting the logbook in it, (danger of infection), not to mention the dangers that exist while traveling to the cache location, ie. traffic, muggers, exhaust fumes, falling meteors or space stations, etc.

How many people were hurt looking for this cache??

It's only funny 'til somebody gets hurt,

then it's hilarious!