Caching in Japan

FujiFool

As you might know from our name, we live in Japan, about an hour from Yokohama. Caches in Japan are pretty far and few between and take some planning to find more than one a day. We identified a cluster of six near Yokohama harbor. We prepped quite well with printouts of the web pages, maps, planned train routes, etc. We went out yesterday. We were out for seven hours by train and on foot and were unable to find any of the three we went for. We also spent about $30 in train fare and $20 for a lunch of Japanese spaghetti.

The problem here is that two of the caches were hidden in the most popular and muggle crowded places in Yokohama; Moto-machi shopping street and Yokohama Harbor Overlook. The hiders didn't even bother to hide them in places away from all the activity. For the Harbor Overlook the GPS led us to a lower observation terrace. Look up at the upper terrace and there are 100+ sets of eyes looking down at you while you discreetly try to search. And believe me, Americans cannot be discreet in Japan no matter how hard they try due to Japanese fear of foreigners. All in all a very frustrating day.

I was wondering if anyone else experiences similar challenges due to local conditions or customs?

As you might know from our name, we live in Japan, about an hour from Yokohama. Caches in Japan are pretty far and few between and take some planning to find more than one a day. We identified a cluster of six near Yokohama harbor. We prepped quite well with printouts of the web pages, maps, planned train routes, etc. We went out yesterday. We were out for seven hours by train and on foot and were unable to find any of the three we went for. We also spent about $30 in train fare and $20 for a lunch of Japanese spaghetti.

The problem here is that two of the caches were hidden in the most popular and muggle crowded places in Yokohama; Moto-machi shopping street and Yokohama Harbor Overlook. The hiders didn't even bother to hide them in places away from all the activity. For the Harbor Overlook the GPS led us to a lower observation terrace. Look up at the upper terrace and there are 100+ sets of eyes looking down at you while you discreetly try to search. And believe me, Americans cannot be discreet in Japan no matter how hard they try due to Japanese fear of foreigners. All in all a very frustrating day.

I was wondering if anyone else experiences similar challenges due to local condition or customs?

I think I had about 5 DNFs in Japan, mostly in Kyoto. I spent well over an hour only feet away from a cache before I could get (it was a full size cache attached magnetically to temple). I spent over 4 hours DNFing a single multi in Tokyo, but that was actually fun. You are right though, you would have thought I was godzilla the way people were staring at me, but thats's what you get you are a illogic fascist with a bad attitude.

I've cached in Japan numerous times.

You might want to inquire a station agent about a day pass of some sort. I used day passes for Fukuoka, Hiroshima, Nagoya, and of course Tokyo during my recent trip to Japan. Each one was about 600 yen (less than $6). I'm not too knowledgeable for Yokohama area, but JR (Japan Railways) do offer a day pass "Yokohama Free Kippu" for people starting and ending their journey in Tokyo (between 1000-1500 yen, or less than $15, depending on the starting station) and covers JR stations from Yokohama to Shin-sugita, and the bus "Akaikutsu" that goes between Sakuragicho and Motomachi.

As for caches located in high muggle areas, they risk getting muggled by the "cleaning ladies" who are always cleaning the streets early in the morning. :anibad: Do you carry a camera? Unless you look utterly lost, people should leave you alone, even if they look in your generation direction as you pretend to be a tourist. It also helps if you look like a student, wearing very casual clothes and a backpack. Keep in mind that most muggles walk fast with destinations in their minds, so they might not actually see you - test it out by standing still in middle of a plaza/square and observe how people react to your presence.

Also, you need to stop going to trendy places. :o $20 for a spaghetti is too much. I opt for the convenience store version (450 yen or less than $4, no additional charge for heating it in the microwave) or 700-800 yen max. at more reasonably priced restaurants.

Edited by budd-rdc

Caching in Singapore is similar. The caches here are REALLY well hidden. I tend to check out the cache area first and then go back at night. Although as a woman I do have to be careful that I am not mistaken for a "night worker" !!! The cleaners tend to muggle the caches on a regular basis, thats why they are hidden so well.

There are three of use from Canada planning a trip to Japan. to do the mount fuji virtuals

I did a PQ for japan awhile ago and found there was 982 caches botu when I filtered out the active caches it was only about 400 or so.

We will definatly look into the day pass for JR. can any one recomend a good spot to cache any way. I think we will spend time near Osaka and Toyko , with a trip to do virtual on Mt Fuji.

There are three of use from Canada planning a trip to Japan. to do the mount fuji virtuals

I did a PQ for japan awhile ago and found there was 982 caches botu when I filtered out the active caches it was only about 400 or so.

We will definatly look into the day pass for JR. can any one recomend a good spot to cache any way. I think we will spend time near Osaka and Toyko , with a trip to do virtual on Mt Fuji.

have you been to japan before? have you climbed mount fuji before? i did and i'm looking at my mount fuji walking stick right now. it has a branding from each station on the way up, and the summit. you gotta get one of those.

I'm assuming you removed Okinawa from the PQ (anything south of N 30° latitude) which should make it a bit more manageable.

You need to research right away on JR Rail Pass, which comes in different flavors. For going between Tokyo and Osaka, a standard one or two week pass would suffice. In short, this allows you to travel on Shinkansen (bullet train) with minimal restrictions, and you can laugh at cars and buses on the highways going less than half the speed. :D I use it with impunity when I'm in Japan, and can cover hundreds of miles in a relatively short amount of time without flying.

For intercity day passes, be sure to check other agencies besides JR. I used the streetcar day pass for Hiroshima, and subway ones for Fukuoka and Nagoya. For Tokyo, there are ones for JR only (730 yen), subway only (two separate agencies, about 700 yen each) and a combination for JR, both subway agencies, Toei buses, and the streetcar, for 1580 yen. Osaka has at least 3-4 competing agencies for surface trains, so you'll have to research there (my caching experience in Osaka area is very limited).

Also, plan on obtaining an International Driver's Permit, in case you need to rent a car. Many train stations offer car rentals. For going up Mount Fuji, you'll want the flexibility of driving there, especially if you plan to go off season. I'm assuming you are experienced winter adventurers, since you are on your own until summer.

Edited by budd-rdc

have you been to japan before? have you climbed mount fuji before? i did and i'm looking at my mount fuji walking stick right now. it has a branding from each station on the way up, and the summit. you gotta get one of those.

I actually did when I was in junior high school... about two decades ago. Didn't do the branding at each station (started at Station 5 Kawaguchi-ko side), since I didn't know, or it wasn't available then. I still remember the headache from altitude sickness at the peak, and watching the sunrise between stations 8 and 9. Best part? Running down the mountain via "sunabashiri." :D

I actually did when I was in junior high school... about two decades ago. Didn't do the branding at each station (started at Station 5 Kawaguchi-ko side), since I didn't know, or it wasn't available then. I still remember the headache from altitude sickness at the peak, and watching the sunrise between stations 8 and 9. Best part? Running down the mountain via "sunabashiri." :mad:

i started at station 5 also, i think everyone does or has to. good times.

but i guess i threw the thread off topic.

thanks for the info, We are looking going july 7-13 . and hiking Mt fuji during the week.

Not sure if we will be renting a car? how hard is it to get a international drivers licence?

for my PQ I just picked two points on the japan map. and did a search for caches with in a give radius. It gave me all the active caches for the country.

thanks for the info, We are looking going july 7-13 . and hiking Mt fuji during the week.

Not sure if we will be renting a car? how hard is it to get a international drivers licence?

for my PQ I just picked two points on the japan map. and did a search for caches with in a give radius. It gave me all the active caches for the country.

July 7-13 can still be rain season around Mount Fuji, but you will be ahead of the summer vacation crowds, which is good.

Talk to your local Automobile Association for the Int'l Driver's Permit. I got mine at AAA. I'm sure there's an equivalent in Canada which I assume is where you are from. Driving is not needed to find caches in Japan or go to Mount Fuji, but it's always nice to have the option, just in case. It allows you to improvise, which I did often on my last trip. There are some wonderful caches in the suburbs that will be much easier to visit with a car.

As remarked by another poster, a large number of those caches are in Okinawa prefecture.

I've done some caching in Japan, and would say you could pick up about 10 around the Osaka Loop Line, over one or two days depending on how much of your time you want to dedicate to caching. I also recommend the city of Kobe, both for caching and sightseeing. We found 5 or 6 over the course of a day there.

In Osaka and Kobe, we didn't have the problem described above with caches being hidden in places that were too crowded to allow for stealthy retrieval. Most of the caches, even in city centre areas, were possible to retrieve discreetly.

I seem to remember there was at least one cache, maybe a webcam, near one of the Mt Fuji resort lakes, but it's mostly a cache desert, apart from the Fuji virtuals themselves.

i was stationed in Japan. Misawa Japan to be exact while i was with the 14th Fighter Squadron in the Air Force.

i met my wife thier, she was a dependent at the time. we are planning a trip to go back in the late spring of 2007. the country side was beautiful !!

how is the Geocaching over thier???

i was stationed in Japan. Misawa Japan to be exact while i was with the 14th Fighter Squadron in the Air Force.

i met my wife thier, she was a dependent at the time. we are planning a trip to go back in the late spring of 2007. the country side was beautiful !!