finding caches in mud, leaves, and ivy in oregon

geoplummie

Geoplummie here... a relative newbie who has less than 50 finds under her belt. I usually have no problem finding caches, BUT here in the Portland (Oregon) area I've run into a roadblock (or is that leaf block) and need some advice. :anibad:

With fall weather comes rain, mud and falling leaves; the areas I've been treking through have been no exception! I've found that on my last 4 caches I was unable to locate the hidden treasure. I had my favorite geoteam (wildhair&mate) come up from Idaho to give me a hand, but they were stumped. And before you ask, yes we checked the 'last found' date on the caches log to make sure it was still active.

So... here's the question....How the heck do you find a cache site under a summer's growth of ivy and 2 feet of fallen leaves??? All Tips, hints, clues, and/or suggestions are welcomed.

It's helpful to carry along a trekking pole (collaspible hiking stick) and a pari fo gloves. Sometimes you just have to lift some of those leaves aside and feel around in dark holes behind those vines. Having the right tools along protects your hands from resident crawlies that might not appreciate your gentle exploration! :anibad:

A couple of days ago I did a multi, in some woods near Renton, WA. Lots of wet leaves, mud, and underbrush. (not much ivy at that cache.)

The thing I noticed was, although the leaves and mud make the cache, and waypoints harder to find, they add a certain beauty to the walk that you don't get other times. Before geocaching, I haven't had much reason, since I was a kid, to wander through a lowland woods in late fall. Now I do it a lot.

I agree it does make the cache harder to find, but, as was said before me, use gloves, lots of geosense, and take your time. It also helps to wait a bit at the indicated cache site, while the GPSr settles down. On a nice warm summer day, it's not too bad to be poking around in some bushes and stumps, then find the cache is really 40 feet away on the other side of the trail.

Geoplummie here... a relative newbie who has less than 50 finds under her belt. I usually have no problem finding caches, BUT here in the Portland (Oregon) area I've run into a roadblock (or is that leaf block) and need some advice. :)

With fall weather comes rain, mud and falling leaves; the areas I've been treking through have been no exception! I've found that on my last 4 caches I was unable to locate the hidden treasure. I had my favorite geoteam (wildhair&mate) come up from Idaho to give me a hand, but they were stumped. And before you ask, yes we checked the 'last found' date on the caches log to make sure it was still active.

So... here's the question....How the heck do you find a cache site under a summer's growth of ivy and 2 feet of fallen leaves??? All Tips, hints, clues, and/or suggestions are welcomed.

Greetings and welcome, I know what you speak of. A treking stick to poke around with is useful and the geosense that others have spoken of. The good thing about winter caching here is there seems to be fewer muggles in the parks to watch for.

If you didn't know about it there is a local forums located here:

http://www.pdxgeocaching.com/

We're a friendly lot, stop by and say howdy when you get a chance.

UPDATE FROM GEOPLUMMIE: Thank you all for your responses. Lots of good tips/suggestions.

I should have made myself a little clearer though, I do have a hiking stick that I use to poke around, and gloves are always in my cache napsack....as are wet wipes (ha ha).... I am always hesitant to 'give up the search' on a cache, (I've been known to spend up to an hour in one spot), but the ivy here is rampant.

Geoplummie here... a relative newbie who has less than 50 finds under her belt. I usually have no problem finding caches, BUT here in the Portland (Oregon) area I've run into a roadblock (or is that leaf block) and need some advice. :huh: