Putting a container together

gravechaser

Hi. I (& our kids) have logged over 20 finds so far and decided to place our first cache. We have a good location and it is currently up and functioning. The container is a key-holder with magnets attached that I bought at Wallyworld. This silly thing didn't hold up worth beans! It already had one magnet fall out and the log got soaked over the weekend. I have temporarily fixed it by putting a new log book with 2 very small items inside a new key-holder that I closed inside two zip-locked baggies. Hopefully the baggies will protect it from the elements until I get a new container put together. :anicute:

I need a little help with attaching a nice strong magnet to the inside of a round altoids can. I realize that it will rust and am constantly on the lookout for a waterproof same-size container. What will work best to attach this magnet to the tin? Hot glue? 2 part epoxy? Gorilla glue? What would I use to firmly attach such a magnet to a weatherproof container (once I find one, that is)?

I want to get the baggie protected "box" replaced Thanksgiving weekend so this gives me a few days to get this done but I want to put it together in such a way that the magnet will stay attached.

Also, what other things have been done to camoflage more appropriate waterproof containers? The ones we've found locally are usually sitting on or under things and aren't attached by magnets. We've found ammo cans, Altoids Breath strips (really hate these as they rust & are difficult to open), decon. pods, Gladware containers, Tupperware bowls, Rubbermaid & microware containers...yet other than a light paint job on one, none were camo'd to make them harder finds. I want to make our future ones a bit more challenging than these have been.

We want to put out at least 2-3 more caches locally that are bigger than these little cans but are hampered by camoflaging issues and a prolific cacher who loves cemeteries too. :wub:

I'm experimenting tonight, I used less Gorilla glue than before, plus I found a 2 part epoxy for plasics at my Kragen Auto parts store. (The Checker, Shucks, Kragen chain). I'll post the results tomorrow.

Hi there I did a round altoids tin with magnets to hold it. I used the 2 part epoxy to adhear them to the bottom. But before I mixed the epoxy I SANDED the bottom of the tin so that the epoxy would have something to grab onto.

Now for camo, Look at this thread at the pics to get some inspiration.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=62421

Or I have put most of the pics onto a web page that I made at the following

http://jdavis955.home.comcast.net/CoolCach...tainersPG1.html

Have fun

You will find that the Altoids tin is no more waterproof than the hide-a-key (which you already discovered is a poor cache container).

The previously suggested match box is a good choice. There are also some very small Lock n Locks (.6 cup ones) that will fit in a lot of spots and are pretty waterproof. Another option are these 2oz. Nalgene Straight Jars. Totally waterproof and you can camo them with duct tape, or a plastic spraypaint.

If you get strong enough magnets (like these rare earth magnets) you can put them inside the container and they will still hold well. You just need a little duct tape to hold them in place. Here is an article I wrote on the subject of cache containers for Todays Cacher that might give you some ideas.

As far as comoflaging, camo tape works great. Also using spraypaint in camo colors is a good option. There are plastic paints that will stick to containers like Lock n Locks. ANother method includes smearing the container with a thick glue (Goop glue works well for this) and rolling it in dirt, sand, leaves, or attaching sticks and other detritus.

Hi there I did a round altoids tin with magnets to hold it. I used the 2 part epoxy to adhear them to the bottom. But before I mixed the epoxy I SANDED the bottom of the tin so that the epoxy would have something to grab onto.

Yep, I did the scuffing/sanding too for the one that I used the epoxy on. But only because I read it in the directions. I wish I had thought of it for the Gorilla Glue one too. Duh! But this time both worked out really well. The magnets are on pretty tight and should outlast the containers.

These are film containers the both have the "Offical Geocache" sticker on them. I know that some are posting that these are not very good containers. I'm not Mr Expert here at all, but in thinking of all the things that these containers have been used for (other than film), they might not be as bad as all that. I've found a few of these used as micro containers and most seem to have worked out ok. One however, I found along a dirt road that had been there for a while and was sun bleached and weather worn to the point that it crumbles when handled. That is what one of my experimental film containers will be replacing today unless the owner has aleady done it. Now that is something that the Match container would probably survive better. And actually does seem to be the better all around idea anyway.

You will find that the Altoids tin is no more waterproof than the hide-a-key (which you already discovered is a poor cache container).

Most of the ones of these that I have found so far seem to have been placed so that weather and exposure don't pose much of an issue. So if your going to use one, thats something to keep in mind. Some people put the logs on little plastic bags to protect them but I notice that most of those are pretty trashed relatively fast.

I really liked briansnat's and Rex & Butterfly's posts. I was looking for info on the same thing when I found your post and I'm glad some more experienced cachers jumped in with these tips and links. (Saves me alot of experimenting, lol). Thank you all for the posts and ideas. :)

I need a little help with attaching a nice strong magnet to the inside of a round altoids can. I realize that it will rust and am constantly on the lookout for a waterproof same-size container. What will work best to attach this magnet to the tin? Hot glue? 2 part epoxy? Gorilla glue? What would I use to firmly attach such a magnet to a weatherproof container (once I find one, that is)?

I paint the altoids can 1st. I then have a roll of magnetic stip thats 3inch wide and I'm not sure how long. I cut the magnet to fit the bottom of the can and use epoxy or liquid nail to glue it on. As long as you don't fill the can full of lead, It holds pretty good. If you put the log in a good baggie and close the lid good, It will stay dry. Animals and muggles are my only problem! :huh:

I'm interested in the gluing magnets part of this post too. I tried to Gorilla Glue a good magnet to the bottom of a film canister but the magnet peeled right off. (I might have used too much GG). Does 2 part epoxy work better? :huh:

Did you glue it on the inside or outside?

If you glue the magnet onto the inside no peeling forces will be put on it.

For my first cache, I'm going a little bit more elaborate than "the usual", so to speak. It's not quite done, but it's progress can be seen at:

http://www.zebeth.com/planetzebeth/stuff/g...ing/cache1.html

yeah, I know it looks like crap so far, but it's a first atempt with very limited tools and money, cut me some slack.

Not bad! The only concern that I would have is with the four seasons that your neck of the woods has, it might stick out pretty loud in the summer and winter months.

I wonder if you could "invent" a sock type covering (maybe from a thick fishnet) that you could premake with the different color of leaves for the season and simply change it each season. That might be a fun project to look into this winter for ya! :laughing:

Good Luck and a Good Start!

Edited by Segerguy

Yeah, I've thought about the summer/winter problem. My theory will be to, sorta like you said, but I'll try to get a very light "ghillie suit", but just something mostly draped over it, with suitable colouring, be it whitish, greenish, or yeah... you get the idea.

That, or until I can build those, it'll have the "natural" covering of dusting of snow if available (that, or it either won't be winter accessible, or will just be blatantly obvious due to the packed path leading up to it anyway :laughing:), and in summer I'm hoping that both myself or the cachers will kinda sprinkle naturally dead leaves over it as well.

But yeah... wish I coulda gotten "deader" looking leaves. I'm also debating whether to get a dead-leaf-brown spraypaint and kinda lightly dust the entire cache with it... at least make them look less like fall leaves, more like "been dead for a while" leaves.

I'm interested in the gluing magnets part of this post too. I tried to Gorilla Glue a good magnet to the bottom of a film canister but the magnet peeled right off. (I might have used too much GG). Does 2 part epoxy work better? :laughing:

Try Outdoor Goop. It worked well for me when I needed to glue magnets to the bottom of film cans. BTW, if you are considering using a film can, use one that has the cap that snaps into the can rather than the one that snaps over the can. They are much better at staying dry, although I would still stick the log in a tiny baggie.

canister.jpg

I guess since I started this thread I should at least stick my neck out again. I thought and thought about the altoids tin and even bought a rare earth magnet. Then, just when ready to sand and glue....the tin and magnet disappeared! I looked for 3 days and decided this was a sign that I wasn't supposed to use the little tin. I looked around the kitchen and voila! Rubbermaid oval container with a seriously watertight lid that I NEVER use. Stole my husband's archery camo tape and gave the oval thing a make-over. It's still right next to the thing it was originally attached to but it's harder to see, covered with leaves, and while small it can hold small trade items. The kids picked up a travel bug last weekend and I put it in the new container. While it IS smaller than a decon container it's larger than a band-aid box. I figure I'll give the kids each $2 and tell them to spend it wisely in Wal-mart for items than can all fit in the container.