any got a Serial to USB adapter to work on Garmin

GPS Derek

As the titile states "any got a Serial to USB adapter to work on Garmin"?

My computer only has 1 serial port. My Garmin StreetPilot 3 lost it's port to my Palm Vx that I use for paperless cacheing. I usually update my palm at least once a week so it keeps the port. The SP3 will only be connected ocasionaly for uploading waypoints and routs, maps are done throught the USB card reader.

It was suggested to me that I get a serial to USB connector, which I did. The adapter installed fien (or so it seems) but both the SP3 and my 60cx are not reconized by Mapsource.

Am I missing doing something?

Appreciate any help.

TIA

You need to install the drivers. Look in the package that your cable came in and you should find a small driver disk.

El Diablo

I did the "setup.exe" succusfully... wouldn't that install the drivers?

You should go in the Device Manager of Windows and GO check the COM Port that the USB to serial cable is set to. By default I think it is set at COM 5. You can change it but you should leave it to COM 5 because it is a serial port not often used.

Then You need to specify the same COM port in Mapsource to find the GPS.

You need to install the drivers. Look in the package that your cable came in and you should find a small driver disk.

El Diablo

I did the "setup.exe" succusfully... wouldn't that install the drivers?

I'm not sure. Did you actually install the driver disk? I know when I used this setup it drove me nuts before I found that disk.

El Diablo

Well it's working with your help thank you.

For future searchers, multiply problems all mentioned here applied.

Although I had run the supplied setup.exe it appear not to have installed the drivers. After a trip to the device manager I intalled them. While there I also found I was om COM 6, changed that to COM 2 and did the test. Mapsource found my SP right off.

Thanks again for the help.