Geocoin caching idea

MadBison

Hello

I have some geocoins that I would like to share with other geocachers. As I am in Australia, and had to buy all of these from the USA, there is a fair bit of value in them. I am not ready at this stage to let them roam freely, as I am affraid that they will be "lost". I have read too many stories in these forums of lost and muggled caches/geocoins/TB's.

So my idea is to create a multi part geocache. The first part would be to a microcache, with a piece of paper with a secret word on it.. When the geocacher finds that, they will use geocaching.com to send me a message with that word. I will then send that geocacher the co-ordinates of the cache with the coins.

Any thoughts on this? Is it a good idea or not a good idea.

The way I see it, this gives me a way to track who has been to the cache, and makes it a little harder to find as it is a multi stage cache. It is less likely that these geocachers who go through this process would be a first time cacher who just takes the coins and is never seen again. The potential is still there for a previous cacher to return to the cache at a later stage and take the coins, but this cannot be helped unless I move the cache after each find. Unlikely...

Oh, and the mission of the coins would obviously be to stay in the cache...

The alternative is that I just keep the coins here in the house, which is a bit booring.

Thanks for any suggestions.

That would slow down the anonymous coin thief but eventually they would get the final coords from someone they know and.... And it wouldn't stop a thief from just scoping out the cache to see what was there and then coming back and robbing your cache after some innocent cacher was there, thereby placing the blame on someone else. Unfortunatly, if someone wants to nick your coins, they WILL and outside of keeping them home, there is not much you can do about it. I have several coins out traveling and most are still traveling. Honestly, I think travelers have a better chance at survival than a cache that features coins because they are moving targets. Good luck - fun cache idea anyway! - and just let a few of your less expensive ones go. You might be more suprised than dissapointed.

CF30

Edited by Crowesfeat30

If I were you, I would run this past your reviewer. I do not believe 'code word' caches are allowed. People would have to make two trips to the cache. That would, in turn, make your cache unavailable to all cachers, since some are just passing through. Ask your reviewer before you place it.

As I am in Australia, and had to buy all of these from the USA, there is a fair bit of value in them. I am not ready at this stage to let them roam freely, as I am affraid that they will be "lost". I have read too many stories in these forums of lost and muggled caches/geocoins/TB's.

Hi MadBison

we tend to have less of a problem with coins going missing in Australia. I was very hesitant to put coins out to start with but so far (touch wood) all is well. We put a note with each of our coins and sometimes drill holes in the coins to devalue them from a collectors point of view. Generally we also specify that the coin is to remain in Australia - a lot of Aussies do that to prevent well meaning visitors from uplifting them to less friendly locations.

Give letting one of them go a shot and see what happens - perhaps one of your cheaper ones.