What else do I need?

turjohn

I have never owned a gps before, but after doing some research, I think I have settled on the Garmin 60CSx. I would like to use it for geocaching, hiking/hunting, and maybe some basic car navigation. I have noticed that there is a bunch of extra software out there that I may need to supplement the gps unit. Could someone suggest to me what else I am probably going to want to buy besides the gps unit, software, hardware, etc...? What is the difference between all the software, and what is the best? Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

My two cents (and that is all it is worth)

You will want some detailed maps with the 60C series to get the most out of the unit.

I suggest the CityNavigator which has detailed street maps and which supports auto navigation. The navigation capability of these units is pretty impressive considering they are hand held and portable.

If you spend a lot of time in the back country, especially in the mountains, the TOPO software may be useful to you. If you read through other threads here you will see that a lot of users complain about the lack of detail in the USATopo maps.

I would suggest holding off on buy ANY software until you have used the unit for awhile and decide what you really want to use it for.

I bought the DirectRoute for our Meridian, rarely use the auto-route feature, but I do like the detailed maps.

Also look into buying used software, provided it is compatible with your unit, ask around in the forums for what software works, and wouldn't have any unlock issue if used.

If you will be doing alot of geocaching, you might consider a PDA (used can be bought very inexpensive... under $50 for a Palm m500 or similar) and then with that, check out software for it. I use Cachemate and GSAK. Then you don't have to carry around sheets of paper with the cache info.

like suggested above...use it for a while and decide what you will use it for.

I use mine mainly for caching, driving, hunting, and fishing in no particular order

I already have the Garmin TOPO so I put that on it. It was nice but I also wanted more detailed street info since the 60CSx will do turn by turn routing. So I ordered a 1 GB MicroSD card and CityNavigator 8 for it. You can put both TOPO and CN on the unit but it will only display one at a time (shows CN as default as it is more detailed) , so to view the other you have to go into the menu and hide one of the maps. It only takes a few seconds to switch back and forth. I have the TOPO and street info for all of the west coast, most of the southern, south west, and south east states, plus KS, OK, AR, MO, MS, and the SE US. Maybe just a little under 1/2 of the US I have topo and street info. The 1 GB card holds a lot of info. I would also suggest a USB card reader/writer to transfer that size of map info, it makes it faster.

I already had a Gillson external antenna and I use it in the truck sometime and I already had a power cord for the truck.

Edited by birddog14

You eventually will want City Navgator and since you are a hiker/hunter, Mapsource Topo. Mapsource Topo will give you terrain contour and show detail like streams, rivers, lakes, swamps, etc... that don't appear on City Navigator. Topo also shows most roads, but only the names of major roads. It doesn't do autorouting (turn by turn driving directions to an address or destination) and the maps are sometimes out of date in some areas. MS Topo is based on USGS maps which are often out of date. Of course the terrain doesn't change much, but you may be missing some newer roads.

City Navigator is a very useful product. Road detail is much better than in Topo, but off road detail is practically not existent. City Navigator handles autorouting which I find to be a great feature. You'll never get lost again!

City Navigator also has a database of over 5 million businesses and services, so if you need to know where the nearest hotel, restaurant (by cuisine type), post office, marina, gas station, auto repair shop, shopping mall, etc... are, City Navigator will show you where and give you turn by turn directions there.

Both can be run concurrently and you can switch between City Navigator and Topo as needed. I have a few examples of what each shows on road and off road below so you can have an idea how they look.

The only other things I think you should get are the automobile power supply and the neoprene protective case from Garmin. Its well worth the $19 as it will protect your investment.

City Navigator - off road

3f36c3fc-7a5a-493d-8720-a55eb708dba0.jpg

Mapsource Topo - off road same area

ac14ab86-8a4d-4b4a-a06f-9b65bf6a9eb4.jpg

City Navigator - populated area

cfd9e631-5360-4bd4-8ec8-fd7a45401ad7.jpg

Mapsource Topo - same area

4e678490-0085-4215-9d25-8856d71651d3.jpg

Edited by briansnat

I appreciate all the input. I live in Las Vegas and it is growing so fast that new streets are popping up all the time. Does City Navigator support updates for new maps or do you just have to keep buying the newest version when it comes out?

Also, if all this software is extra, what actually comes with the GPS in terms of street and terrain mapping?

I appreciate all the input. I live in Las Vegas and it is growing so fast that new streets are popping up all the time. Does City Navigator support updates for new maps or do you just have to keep buying the newest version when it comes out?

Also, if all this software is extra, what actually comes with the GPS in terms of street and terrain mapping?

They all say they will provide updates, but most seem to just release a new version and maybe offer an upgrade discount.

Most don't come with any terrain info, and they usually have the major roads and highways listed.

So if I get the City Navigator software and just stick with the 64MB card for now, can I fit, for example, Idaho and Nevada on that card? Can I just load individual states on the card? Any suggestions on who has the best prices for the software?

Thanks again in advance!

You can load individual states on the card, sort of. Many of the map segments don't go by state borders so you might have to get some of one state to get certain sections of another.

Anyway I just checked City Select, and Idaho and Nevada came out to about 25 megs (with small segments of CA, MT, OR, WY and UT). All of Idaho, Nevada, MT, WY and UT came to about 55 megs in City Select. City Navigator should be roughly the same as City Select (which was CN's predecessor).