Question about downloading gpx on ppc

SparkyInCali

I am using a Treo 700wx and am having an issue downloading gpx files from the geocaching website.When I go to a cache page and click on the gpx lnk it prompts me to save but it is an aspx file type.I am using pocket IE on wm5.Is it possible to download the gpx files from the site.I would love to do this when I get a notification for a new cache so I can load the gpx straght into cachemate instead of hand entering evrything.

I have GPXview loaded on my PPC. This is not the latest or greatest software, but it works. All I do is drag and drop it onto my PPC, and when I need to read a cache page I open the program. It looks for the GPX files that are on the PPC. I select the file I want and it opens showing me the cache numbers in alphabetical order. I find and open the appropriate cache and I am at the cache page. It also allows me to list cache numbers by closest as well so once I am in an area I can do that to speed up the process. GPX Sonar will do the same thing with more options.

I am using a Treo 700wx and am having an issue downloading gpx files from the geocaching website.When I go to a cache page and click on the gpx lnk it prompts me to save but it is an aspx file type.I am using pocket IE on wm5.Is it possible to download the gpx files from the site.I would love to do this when I get a notification for a new cache so I can load the gpx straght into cachemate instead of hand entering evrything.

There is a new app out that is really cool. Easy to load, and worked without digging into a bunch of help files. Very intuitive. Go here - http://www.cyancanyon.com/software/smache/. Best thing.....for now it's free. :(

I have tried smache briefly and se gpxsonar on occasion but am satisfaied with cachemate for that type of function but unfortunately thats not what I was trying to ask.What I am doing is viewing the cache page on my browser on my treo much the same as you would view it on your pc.On the gpx link where you would normlly click to download the gpx file on your pc when I click it on pocket internet xplorer it tries to save

as an aspx file

gpxview.JPG

Its actually your BROWSER that is problem.... IT does not know how to handle a .GPX file so it defaults it to a .ASPX file.... Fix is in browser... Results should either be a .GPX or .LOC file if you do fix right.

Sorry I can't give more direct answer, I fixed mine several years ago and don't remember exact procedure.... IT has to do with browsers internal file association options....

Will search for fix, IF I can find it I will post it...

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

ATHF thanks I tried earching the forums but never saw that thread that works good for me.Kind of silly that I didn't try that as I had noticed that the aspx files for a loc or gpx were different sizes I had tried renaming in the save dialog box but never through a file explorer.

Dale Lynn that would be great if you found what you id to fix in the browser.I would suspect it ws changing othing in the registry since I looked and noticed there was no file type of aspx in the keys.I tried to create one but had no ideas what the values would be for the key.

ATHF thanks I tried earching the forums but never saw that thread that works good for me.Kind of silly that I didn't try that as I had noticed that the aspx files for a loc or gpx were different sizes I had tried renaming in the save dialog box but never through a file explorer.

No problem

glad I was able to help.