Gpsmap76CSX

Recently kayaking here in florida in small winding canals gps failed me. Heading/compass reading was not correct or close to an old fashioned compass. The curser on screen would not point to the direction I was headed, it would move sidways, backwards, etc. Next day I calibrated compass which seemed to correct the problem. Still, the cursor does not point in the direction I am going completely. My problem is how the hell can you depend on a GPS and find your way if it doesn't show the way you are headed. Also, why would calibration of compass affect the curser and the rest of the unit showing the correct direction of your heaading? How do others correct this problem if they have no compass on their gps?

Note, never had a problem with curser while driving. Slow speeds bring on the problems. Perhaps I will make a $417.00 door stop.

The unit switches to the electronic compass mode when you are under a user defined speed. If you are over this speed it uses the GPS reciever to track you. It also must be under this speed for a user defined time.

First, make SURE you are using the electronic compas. It can be turned off & on, and will stay off if you turn it off. Press the "page" button and hold to turn it on/off.

Second, goto your menu screen. Select "Setup",then "Heading" icons. Select your "North Reference" to true. Then change the "Switch to compass heading when below" to a speed greater than your fastest paddling ability. Then set the "for more than" to a low time.

Last, on your compass page, make sure you set your compass to "Bearing Pointer" and not course pointer (You should NOT see the row of dots in the compass rose when in Bearing pointer).

Hope this helps. I plan to use my 76CSx when it gets warm enough for me to go kayaking again this spring, I ENVY you! LOL

Recently kayaking here in florida in small winding canals gps failed me. Heading/compass reading was not correct or close to an old fashioned compass. The curser on screen would not point to the direction I was headed, it would move sidways, backwards, etc. Next day I calibrated compass which seemed to correct the problem. Still, the cursor does not point in the direction I am going completely. My problem is how the hell can you depend on a GPS and find your way if it doesn't show the way you are headed. Also, why would calibration of compass affect the curser and the rest of the unit showing the correct direction of your heaading? How do others correct this problem if they have no compass on their gps?

Note, never had a problem with curser while driving. Slow speeds bring on the problems. Perhaps I will make a $417.00 door stop.

I kayak a lot in the city and I have to either turn off "snap to roads" or turn off the compass. I usually turn off the compass because it's easier(hold the page key until the compass toggles).

EDIT I just noticed I am an outsider. This appeares to be a fire fighter only topic.

Edited by John E Cache

The unit switches to the electronic compass mode when you are under a user defined speed. If you are over this speed it uses the GPS reciever to track you. It also must be under this speed for a user defined time.

First, make SURE you are using the electronic compas. It can be turned off & on, and will stay off if you turn it off. Press the "page" button and hold to turn it on/off.

Second, goto your menu screen. Select "Setup",then "Heading" icons. Select your "North Reference" to true. Then change the "Switch to compass heading when below" to a speed greater than your fastest paddling ability. Then set the "for more than" to a low time.

Last, on your compass page, make sure you set your compass to "Bearing Pointer" and not course pointer (You should NOT see the row of dots in the compass rose when in Bearing pointer).

Hope this helps. I plan to use my 76CSx when it gets warm enough for me to go kayaking again this spring, I ENVY you! LOL

But why would the direction arrow on map not show my direction. Also If the compass is not correct, does that affect the rest of the unit? Like when I am on the map page, will the map page be wrong on showing my heading or when pointing to North.

But why would the direction arrow on map not show my direction. Also If the compass is not correct, does that affect the rest of the unit? Like when I am on the map page, will the map page be wrong on showing my heading or when pointing to North.

P.S. That sucks you have to wait for spring........pretty much all year long here, actually late summer it's too hot.

Edited by flfirefighter

Sometimes it thinks you paddling down a road if "snap to road" is on. Paddling under or near a bridge really messes things up.

No, the compass I think is independant. The map page is using the GPS signal to determine your direction, but, you DO have to be moving a little for it to be accurate.

Yeah, I ENVY you FL kayakers!!! LOL. I used to live in Jacksonville FL a little while when I was a kid. Hey, do you post on the paddling.net website???

P.S. This is not a FF only thread (but we do like to band together somewhat, "Band 'O Brothers kinda thing). LOL