2006 Alaska Coinaments Now On Sale...

Ladybug Kids

silverfront.JPGxmasmoose.jpg

xmasmooselights.jpg

"Season's Greetings from Alaska" are offered by this moose that made off with someone's Christmas lights, most likely after gnawing an ornamental tree down to the trunk.

These 39 mm/1.5" proof quality coins are die struck from solid nickel at the Alaska Mint in Anchorage, Alaska. The coins come in a plastic ornament airtight capsule with a red or green ring. The cost per coin is $9.50 per coin mailed within the United States and $10.00 mailed internationally, plus a $1.50 per order (not coin) shipping fee.

A maximum of 475 of these coins will be made, but the actual number of coins minted will depend on the number of coins sold. 250 have been sold as of today via presales or reserved for pickup at an Alaskan Event. The coin will be trackable at geocaching.com and will add the 2006 Alaska geocoin custom icon for your stats page when you log or activate one ak32flag2.gif.

Order your coins from the GeocacheAlaska! Geocoin Webpage. Be sure to indicate your preference for red or green in the Geocaching Account/Red/Green comment box located on the PayPal payment page.

:huh:Happy Holidays!!!:huh:

FROM

GAKwolf1.jpg

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Word on the street here in Anchorage is these coins are AWESOME! Geocache Alaska staffers got to see the first production batch today...

(Note the shipping date - the Alaska Mint is on schedule for shipping well in time for Christmas - Geocache Alaska will probably sell out the balance of coins to Alaskan cachers at the December 6th local Christmas Geofest, so order now if you want one or two for yourself!)

Seems my Xmas Gift is going to be made a reality.

I am so happy to be a part of this coin and the orniment makes me feel so warm and fuzzy looking out on my 3 feet of snow now.

Three feet of snow! We have perhaps three inches and -32° C temperatures. The cold and dark of winter is no fun without snow to play in!

Thanks for your order!

wait so is the front the wolf and the back the moose cause if it is i love the coin

Yes, the front of the coinament features the 2006 Alaska wolf and the back is the moose with lights in his antlers. This coin comes in a "coinament" airtight.

The "regular" 2006 Alaska geocoin has the wolf on the front and Denali with a caching prospector on the back. This coin comes in a regular plastic flip.

See the GeocacheAlaska geocoin page for images of both coins.

Due to some production issues at the Alaska Mint, coinament shipping will not begin until tomorrow (Friday) and we hope to have all orders processed by December 5.

The Christmas coinaments GeocacheAlaska! began distributing this week will have one of two finishes. One is a mirror-like finish similar to the 2006 Alaska bronze and silver coins. The second finish is a matte finish (called "satin" by some coinmakers) applied by a light sandblast. There are about 160 mirror-like finish coins and 240 matte finish coins made to date. Both finishes equally show off the fine details of the coins. Distribution of the two finishes is by random mix.

We chose to go with two finishes because of production problems with the moose die that left a strike mark on many of the coins. We at GeocacheAlaska! considered the strike mark to be an unacceptable flaw given the standard that had been set by our 2005 and 2006 Alaska geocoins. Acquiring new nickel planchets (blanks) and restriking and engraving the coins would have taken two to three weeks. Given the seasonal nature of this coin, we felt it was important to meet our commitment for preholiday delivery and applying the matte finish to the coins to eliminate the strike mark was the only way to beat the calendar without sacrificing quality.

If, upon receipt of your coins, you are unhappy in any way, please contact GeocacheAlaska at coinsales@geocachealaska.org to request a coin exchange or refund. We will pay any additional postage charges for returns and resends. We want to leave the geocaching community feeling good about their experience with GeocacheAlaska! produced coins.

Many orders were mailed on Thursday, November 30th, with a preference given to international orders due to longer delivery times. The remaining orders received to date will be shipped no later than Wednesday, December 5.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Through a stroke of luck I received mine today and it is beautiful !

If you haven't ordered one - go do it now! You won't be disappointed.

Edit to add: You're a class-act for offering to make things right for people who aren't happy (although I doubt there will be any).

Edited by kealia

These are just beautiful, I don't like most coins these days, but wow, absolutely stunning! The moose side is soooo cute. I even showed it to our non caching/coin neighbors (chatting next to the mailbox) and they thought it was gorgeous. If you're reading this and haven't ordered one, do so now, it's the best holiday coin out there imo.

All orders when into the mail last night (December 6). There are about 25 of these coins left.

Update on mirror versus matte finish quantities: 130 mirror-like finish coins and 270 matte. The change is due to a batch of thirty more coins returned that featured the strike mark.

I have 3 of these coins, 2 mirror finish and 1 matte, and i think they look great. I think I like the matte finish better though!! You can see the detail on the coin better IMO without the glare/mirror reflection..

Definitely another example of fine coins/products from the Alaska folks.

All orders when into the mail last night (December 6). There are about 25 of these coins left.

Update on mirror versus matte finish quantities: 130 mirror-like finish coins and 270 matte. The change is due to a batch of thirty more coins returned that featured the strike mark.

Many thanks to Scobey and Oleruns who helped pack this latest batch or orders. Also, thanks to Northwes to ran the envelopes to the post office and to Mrs. Scobey for being the courier from the Mint. It's great to have help on a project like this!

Ok without any doubt I have recieved all my coins including the pin and there is now no doubt in my mind that these coins are absolutely the best in my collection.

Does a snoopy dance, and amazing brake dance just cause I got em and can say this...thank you...

Can't wait for the next coin.

Edited by slippery_1

Ok without any doubt I have recieved all my coins including the pin and there is now no doubt in my mind that these coins are absolutely the best in my collection.

Does a snoopy dance, and amazing brake dance just cause I got em and can say this...thank you...

Can't wait for the next coin.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

We're working on the 2007 design now so it comes out earlier in the year.

We at GeocacheAlaska! hope everyone had a great holiday weekend! May the New Year come in with as much fun as the Christmas holiday weekend featured!!!

A total of 465 2006 Alaska coinaments were made. That quantity is broken down into 225 mirror finish and 240 matte finish coins. We have about thirty (30) unsold coinaments, all in mirror finish (ten red and twenty green rings) since very few (less than ten) of the matte finish coins were returned or exchanged.

The remaining coinaments may still be purchased off the GeocacheAlaska! website.

We also have five (5) one ounce 0.999 silver 2006 Alaska geocoins left. I reported we were done to one of these coins a couple of weeks ago, but found four more in a box this morning.

All other versions of the 2006 Alaska geocoins and geopins are sold out!

To all who purchased one or more versions of the 2006 Alaska geocoins, we extend a heartfelt

:D THANK YOU!!! :P

Edited by Ladybug Kids