CALLING ALL ACD TEAM MEMBERS

CENT5

This is an open invite to all 2005 ACD team members (You know who you are :huh: ) to join me in a true "Cache-n-Dash".

It's well past time we all got together and renew old friendships and forge new ones :D

Please join me in a run to ANC for The 2nd Annual Anchorage Holiday GeoFest '06

I've got passes that expire on the 31st of DEC so lets not let them go to waste :huh:

Tentative itinerary:

Depart Seattle Dec 6th Flt 99 at 10:25 AM

Arrive ANC 1:12PM

Maybe cache a bit (YA THINK?)

Gwennies : 4:30PM (mmmm Reindeer sausage B) ) (It's gonna be dark by then anyway.)

7:00 PM PAAAAARRRTTTTTTTYYYYYYYY :D:huh::lol::D

Depart ANC Dec 7th Flt 98 at 10:41AM

Arrive SEA 3:14PM

Who's in?

If ACD member Lowrider71 cannot go ( I'll make sure he does ) .... dubs on his seat??

LOL I just talked to him on the phone and he's in. BUT!!! I tell you what.

I'll take a total of 10 people (including myself) on the trip. (I've invited Geekgirl to accompany us with reino)

If I can't get the whole ACD crew together. (9 people) You have 1st shot at any open slot.

Hows your schedule?

I have to wonder...

Why post this here instead of contacting everyone directly?...since you know who they all are...just rubbing everyone elses noses in it since we're not invited?

I'm sure this sounds snotty, it's meant to. Not that I would have gone even if given the opportunity, but it just smacks of "neener-neener" situation.

Have fun those that go.

:huh:

I have to wonder...

Why post this here instead of contacting everyone directly?...since you know who they all are...just rubbing everyone elses noses in it since we're not invited?

I'm sure this sounds snotty, it's meant to. Not that I would have gone even if given the opportunity, but it just smacks of "neener-neener" situation.

Have fun those that go.

ROFLMAO Allanon you should know me better than that.

Sorry you feel that way. I have attempted to contacted all the ACD members by all the means I have availalable and was hoping perhaps they would pick it up here.

Edited by CENT5

I have to wonder...

Have fun those that go.

ROFLMAO Allaon you should know me better than that.

Sorry you feel that way. I have attempted to contacted all the ACD members by all the means I have availalable and was hoping perhaps they would pick it up here.

Have to admit, I'm feeling a bit envious and left out too, having seen this very public notice, and that GeekGirl and Reino have made the list. Congrats to them for getting invited into this exclusive club.

Best wishes y'all for a great time! And CENT5 is very generous to do this again, without question, and I look forward to all the threads describing what a great time y'all had. Would be cool to open it up to others through another contest/drawing, tho, if there's ever another opportunity, so others can share the wonderful experience and meet the fun folks in Alaska.

Edited by hydnsek

I have to wonder...

Have fun those that go.

ROFLMAO Allaon you should know me better than that.

Have to admit, I'm feeling a bit envious and left out too, having seen this very public notice, and that GeekGirl and Reino have made the list. Congrats to them for getting invited into this exclusive club.

Best wishes y'all for a great time! And CENT5 is very generous to do this again, without question, and I look forward to all the threads describing what a great time y'all had. Would be cool to open it up to others through another contest/drawing, tho, if there's ever another opportunity, so others can share the wonderful experience and meet the fun folks in Alaska.

To be honest I had hoped to put together something this year. Unfortunately I was unable to do so. This was strictly a spur of the moment deal and I apologize for offending anyone. I was excited to go and to be able to share with others. I cannot possibly take all the persons I would like to along so I do the best I can.

If I remember correctly reino was an ACD member and only got there because Geekgirl could not go. The slots were fully transferable and she did so. My decision was to extend the invite to her for this trip.

Since I can't close the thread would a moderator please do so.

Once again my apologies to those I have offended.

To be honest I had hoped to put together something this year. Unfortunately I was unable to do so. This was strictly a spur of the moment deal and I apologize for offending anyone. I was excited to go and to be able to share with others. I cannot possibly take all the persons I would like to along so I do the best I can.

If I remember correctly reino was an ACD member and only got there because Geekgirl could not go. The slots were fully transferable and she did so. My decision was to extend the invite to her for this trip.

Once again my apologies to those I have offended.

No offense taken, none at all! Just envy. :huh:

I apologize, I don't remember the ACD members, so from your comment about inviting them both along, I assumed neither of them were 'original' members. Thanks for the clarification, and yeah, very cool to let them both go so they can share it this time 'round.

Listen, If I had my druthers I'd haul everyone I know and many I don't along. This post was intended to:

#1 Perhaps get the attention of the 5 ACD members I have not been able to get hold of.

#2 SHARE with the PNW geocaching community something I thought was pretty cool.

This is supposed to be a cool thing, extending our interaction with our friends in Alaska.

I suppose I could have tried to put something together to more involve the PNW community but to be honest I didn't have time. I have an excellent relationship with the ACD team. We have not all gotten together since '05 but have talked about doing things together. This opportunity came up and I grabbed it.

If the original ACD members cannot go I do have a "Short list" of people I will invite. Once again, I cannot possibly make it "fair" or equitable for all persons in the PNW. I do the best I can.

Edited by CENT5

Listen, If I had my druthers I'd haul everyone I know and many I don't along... I cannot possibly make it "fair" or equitable for all persons in the PNW. I do the best I can.

Absolutely true. CENT5 is unmatched for kindness and generosity toward every cacher he has ever met and many more that he has never met. Surely a little forum faux pas can be forgiven by all.

Wow! This is the first I'm hearing of this (I've been out of town for several days, away from our phone and my email account), so I'm so glad it was posted here in the forums. I just popped online to see what was going on these days (I always find it interesting to see what caching trips people have planned, even when they don't involve me...just nosy, I guess!) and here this was. CENT5, I'll email you when I get home later tonight or tomorrow!

Mmmm - BenGeo'en (the only cacher in Whittier!) still can't believe we drove over that bridge... He hates even driving his four-wheeler ATV over it. When Reino just offhand remarked 'It's a rental... ' and drives across :(

With any good fortune the ACD gang might see the Northern Lights this time - if this wicked high pressure system stays in place!

I know how much work the first event entailed and I wouldn't wish an annual workload like that on Cent5.

I'll throw this out for what it's worth. If the first timer's can't go this time around maybe you could let them use the spot as a FTF prize. Then the work's on them, an others could get another chance. If not just go with the alternate's list. Just a thought.

In any case please post pictures and good logs so the rest of us can tag along vicariously!

You da man!

Sure the more the merrier! I just have to convince Mrs. Scobey that you won't keep her awake all night at the Scobey B&B ;):D

Ur a peach Scobey. I promise we won't burn down the house. :P

I've been called a lot of things but peach is a first! :D

I hope y'all like each other cause I just made a count of the "Will Attends" and it is going to be interesting! I have a big house thank goodness but I hope you don't all want to be in the bathrooms at the same time :D

or maybe you do :P

Sure the more the merrier! I just have to convince Mrs. Scobey that you won't keep her awake all night at the Scobey B&B :P:ph34r:

Ur a peach Scobey. I promise we won't burn down the house. :)

I've been called a lot of things but peach is a first! :laughing:

I hope y'all like each other cause I just made a count of the "Will Attends" and it is going to be interesting! I have a big house thank goodness but I hope you don't all want to be in the bathrooms at the same time :ph34r:

or maybe you do :anicute:

Peach??? 19908005-50ce-43d7-9188-cac5e05224a0.jpg

This time next week.....?

Are you guys making this another cache-n-dash or "few here and there with milestones"??

Actually, I have a number of TBs that are trying to travel from state to state. Any chance of having these TBs "visit" Alaska and then come back here?

Any volunteers?

cheers,

Poppa J

This time next week.....?

Are you guys making this another cache-n-dash or "few here and there with milestones"??

Actually, I have a number of TBs that are trying to travel from state to state. Any chance of having these TBs "visit" Alaska and then come back here?

Any volunteers?

cheers,

Poppa J

You can hand them off to me at the Lime Kiln hike.

On another note.

Since our departure has been moved up it seems we will need to fortify ourselves at Gwennies after arrival if thats ok. (Gwennies about 10AM)

Would love to have any AK cachers join us for a bite and the day of caching if anyone can make it.

On another note.

Since our departure has been moved up it seems we will need to fortify ourselves at Gwennies after arrival if thats ok. (Gwennies about 10AM)

Would love to have any AK cachers join us for a bite and the day of caching if anyone can make it.

I would LOVE to join you but I'm on the hook to teach 2 classes that day and can't get free til 3. Darn!!!!!! :D:(

I would LOVE to join you but I'm on the hook to teach 2 classes that day and can't get free til 3. Darn!!!!!! :D:blink:

Well if you'd like to join us after you get free for a bit of pre-event caching we'd love to have you join us. Let us know where and when to meet and we can hook up. :D

So do we have a book mark list of the caches we are going to try to do.... or any direction as far as where all we are going....

I've not done any research other than NorthWes's excellent Bookmark List

I suspect I will pq everything in the ANC basin and we can work through it on the flight up.

I don't know how access is but I suspect Kincaid Park would probably keep us plenty busy though most of the caches there have not been found recently (Most of them last found in October) so they may be snowed in for the season. We must depend, once again, for guidance from our Anchorage brethren. (Any advice would be appreciated.)

We have discussed a few night caches and I see a few have been conquered recently with the braille method being the winning combination. :laughing:

On yet another note it appears the Northern Lights will elude us once again. :laughing:

Aurora forecast

On yet another note it appears the Northern Lights will elude us once again. :laughing:

Aurora forecast

Boo Hoo! :laughing: Oh well, I'll get to see them someday.

I'm still so excited about this trip!

Looks like the temps in Anchorage aren't going to be that much worse than we've been having here.

If we go by the Alaska Mint again can we stop in there? Plaidguy told me he needs help picking out my Christmas present, and there's something in there I've been kicking myself about leaving behind ever since the last trip! No biggie if we aren't in the area and need to skip it.

I am enjoying reading about the plans for the trip and sharing the excitement of those that are going. I will also look forward to hearing all about the fun, seeing the photos, etc., when they return.

I hope that you will keep this on the public forum so that others who wish to vicariously join you will be able to read along -- those that would prefer not to can just skip this thread. :laughing:

I am enjoying reading about the plans for the trip and sharing the excitement of those that are going. I will also look forward to hearing all about the fun, seeing the photos, etc., when they return.

I hope that you will keep this on the public forum so that others who wish to vicariously join you will be able to read along -- those that would prefer not to can just skip this thread. :laughing:

I second that. This is an enjoyable excursion that I wish I could attend, but will settle for as much information/pictures/stories as possible. If you need server space to share photos, lemme know.

Please keep us posted on everything.

So you all haven't figured out a way to keep this amongst your small group instead of a public forum?

It's not here because we haven't figured out a way (duh), it's because it's the most convenient way for those of us who are interested in the topic to keep in touch. This is not a new concept in the forums, as you know, since you participated in the recent WSGA Elections and Hike of the Month topics without complaint. By your logic, the hike-of-the-month pictures should have only been sent to the participants and the WSGA topic shouldn't be here at all since not everyone are WSGA members (and presumably they know who their members are). Many of the topics relate to only a small subset of the general population, but I am glad they are here so the rest of us can enjoy the pictures, stories, etc.

So you all haven't figured out a way to keep this amongst your small group instead of a public forum?

It's not here because we haven't figured out a way (duh), it's because it's the most convenient way for those of us who are interested in the topic to keep in touch. This is not a new concept in the forums, as you know, since you participated in the recent WSGA Elections and Hike of the Month topics without complaint. By your logic, the hike-of-the-month pictures should have only been sent to the participants and the WSGA topic shouldn't be here at all since not everyone are WSGA members (and presumably they know who their members are). Many of the topics relate to only a small subset of the general population, but I am glad they are here so the rest of us can enjoy the pictures, stories, etc.

To each their own and excuse me for commenting or expressing an opinion on something that apparently goes against the grain. I'll go sit in the corner now and try to stay out of your forums. :laughing:

There are more people involved and/or interested in this excursion that can be possibly handled via e-mail. I do not have the addresses of all the people that are interested in joining us in Alaska, nor am I clairvoiant enough to figure out who they all might be.

I see many trips and excursions planned via these forums. The coordination and input from all parties is taken into account and details come to light that affect others outside the "small group".

I enjoy seeing other trips and excursions unfold here even though I cannot join.

Why is this trip any different?

Edited by CENT5

If we go by the Alaska Mint again can we stop in there? Plaidguy told me he needs help picking out my Christmas present, and there's something in there I've been kicking myself about leaving behind ever since the last trip! No biggie if we aren't in the area and need to skip it.

I recommend starting Micro, Multi-Stage, Not Complicated GOcache and seeing where it takes you. From there, there are several downtown/Westchester lagoon caches you all haven't done yet which would make a swing through the Mint a multi-purpose trip.

It's not. :laughing: But as far as I can tell, one geocacher thinks that only small groups that he's involved in or interested in are allowed to post information to a public forum. And what I gather from his response to my post, he's the only one allowed to express an opinion. Anyone else posting an opinion different from his is accused of owning the forum. Or maybe it's just me. :laughing:

Anyways...back to the main topic...I can't wait to see how this trip unfolds!

edited to add: Sorry, Recdiver, that you considered this a personal attack...that's not how I meant it, really! I was just making the observation that there seemed to be a double standard. No attack intended...I was just stating an opinion, like you did. That doesn't make me feel, as you say, superior. It just makes me equal.

Edited by GeekGirl

It's not. :laughing: But as far as I can tell, one geocacher thinks that only small groups that he's involved in or interested in are allowed to post information to a public forum. And what I gather from his response to my post, he's the only one allowed to express an opinion. Anyone else posting an opinion different from his is accused of owning the forum. Or maybe it's just me. :laughing:

Apparently the 5th person in this thread feels as I do however rather than deal with your personal attacks I just will stay out of this thread I'm sure that will make you feel so much more superior.

Actually, it is different, and to be fair to Recdiver, he's not alone. I count four people in this thread who've made similar remarks, some more veiled.

While I am enjoying hearing about the planning (to an extent), there IS a key difference with the other cited events: The Hike of the Month, WSGA events, etc., are open to everyone, which is why they are posted here, so all who are interested can participate. Those who can't or don't want to, can enjoy it vicariously, knowing they had the opportunity to join in if they so chose.

The ACD trips, however, are for a select few - it's by invitation only, essentially a private event. I don't recall another exclusive event for 10 people being so publicized in the forums (but I'm getting senile). Usually, these are better served through a private email group (e.g., a Yahoo group), so that you can freely discuss plans without making others feel left out. (And if the members of this private club want to attend, surely they will pony their emails to the organizer.) Sort of like my former coin club (RIP) - we solicited members here in the forums, but created a Yahoo group for our ongoing communications, so as not to subject the larger community to the internal plans and purchases, since they couldn't participate in getting all the cool coins. :laughing:

Imho, the ideal would be to do your planning and cheering in private (including the Alaskan folks in that), but share the major happenings and pics here afterwards, so we can all see what a good time you had - which we are interested in, you're our pals and we want you to have fun. That approach might be a bit more sensitive to some others' feelings - although definitely, not everyone feels the same way about that, as HC noted.

This is not meant as criticism of CENT5, who is doing a wonderful thing for his pals, but there was a certain insensitivity displayed in a couple folks' replies to Recdiver that I felt deserved a response.

I truly hope your second annual visit is as wonderful as the first. Yes, it would be neat if somehow others could have a chance to participate in future, as MarcusArelius suggested, but I can also see the lure of the 'reunion' perspective of the original team.

Have a great time!

I (Lucy here) have to disagree. From what I remember, there were two seperate opportune challenges at diff. times. Cent5 was giving anyone and everyone a chance to win.

So that makes it open to the public. Some people won. Some didn't.

We'll pay more attention next time if the challenge happens.

I am happy for the people that are going. We'd love to tag along someday. And I want to see pictures! :laughing:

So that makes it open to the public.

I realize I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but since I don't always express myself in words like I would like to, it sometimes takes me several tries. I promise this will be my last post on the subject. :laughing:

I think it's open to the public because most of the planning surrounds attending "The 2nd Annual Anchorage Holiday GeoFest '06" which is a publicly posted event. Any geocacher is welcome to go to Alaska and attend, and as it's been posted, everyone is welcome to join in on the pre- and post-event caching. By providing the details here, anyone who is interested in attending the event or other related caches has the information is able to join in if they choose. The only "exclusive" component of this discussion is the transportation, kind of like when others discuss giving one another rides to events. I don't get mad when someone offers some geocachers rides but not me (I realize that analogy might be considered a bit of a stretch, but it's really not much different. It would simply not be cost effective or convenient for some people to have to transport me from way down here just because I wanted to go and didn't want to provide my own transportation).

I absolutely have no problem with anyone who disagrees with me on this. I do, however, have a problem when I am accused of being superior or attacking or owning the forum just because I have a differing opinion.

GeekGirl, I see your perspective (and CENT5's, and lucy's), and you are right - it is open to everyone, in theory. No argument there.

To be honest, it never occurred to me to consider buying a ticket and joining you (even if I had the cash), because title of this thread, and many replies, are about reuniting the small ACD team for a second free trip to Alaska. I, at least, perceived this as a fairly exclusive event, based on the OP and title.

The premise of the first ACD was the contest to win the tickets, and the free plane trip was the nucleus (then and now) of the event. Sure, others could join (then and now) if they can afford to buy a ticket and can get on the same flights, etc., but it's not quite the same as carpooling to a local event. Carpooling is not usually the impetus for the event, and it's cheap. :laughing:

Once again: I think the reunion is a wonderful, generous idea on CENT5's part, hope y'all do it every year. The original contest was exciting, and I again congratulate those who won. Great that you get to go this year with Reino, since you had to give up your seat last year.

And again, I look forward to hearing about the trip and seeing the pictures, as we did last year.

I think the publicity just makes some of us envious. 10 people get to go twice fer free - we wish more folks could have an opportunity to win a trip, cache in Alaska, meet the cool (literally) Alaska cachers, and be part of this Kool Klub! :laughing: That said, it's CENT5's ball (ok, plane), and he can invite whomever he wants. Have a wonderful time!! :laughing:

No more from me on this, I was just trying to present another perspective for those who seemed perplexed over why there would be any angst over such a wonderful event.

Heck, now I'm beating myself up for not thinking to buy a plane ticket.... :laughing:

This is the Northwest Forum, serving Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming. It is an effective way to share info with the entire caching community in Alaska if they wish to join the ACD group up there. They would not have access to a private Yahoo group.

For those of you that don't want to hear about it, who is making you click on this thread?

Having met Cent5 on several occasions and reading about his very generous contributions to the sport, I feel bad about how this is getting blown way overboard.

First: Thank you, Cent5, for sharing.

Second: Sorry for any angst a few people have, maybe jealous. Hey this is just a game, right? Some win more than others. Please do not let this stop any further 'fun' you may bring...

Third: Have a good time with the ACD crew and send best wishes to our fellow cachers in Big AK.

Yes I wish I could go, but I do hope you guys will share all the stories, like: "Drive it like it was stolen" or "Hey there is a Moose" or "we crashed on the floor with Internet Access"

Maybe post an event for everyone. Share pictures/stories. I would try to make that one.... even carpool if possible.