suggestions to Garmin, Magellan, ect

beauxp

I don't know where to make suggestion but I have one.

Just got a GPSMAP 60CSX. When Entering numbers in a number field (like lon/lat field), This GPS pops up a little number keyboard. This is not easy to use, why not use the rocker to increase or decrease every single digits? That would be much more natural.

My 2 cents

Just got a GPSMAP 60CSX. When Entering numbers in a number field (like lon/lat field), This GPS pops up a little number keyboard. This is not easy to use, why not use the rocker to increase or decrease every single digits? That would be much more natural.

My 2 cents

the keyboard is quicker...it's arranged something like:

I know that isn't exactly correct, but something like it. Assume you have just entered a 5...if you want to enter a 1, you move left once, up once, enter...just 3 key strokes...from 6 to 9 it's 1 keystroke, enter. i know it only saves one or 2 keystrokes per number, but that is a real timesaver, ESPECIALLY when entering coordinates manually.

My 2 cents

I know that isn't exactly correct, but something like it. Assume you have just entered a 5...if you want to enter a 1, you move left once, up once, enter...just 3 key strokes...from 6 to 9 it's 1 keystroke, enter. i know it only saves one or 2 keystrokes per number, but that is a real timesaver, ESPECIALLY when entering coordinates manually.

I prefer fewer 'direction' keys when entering numbers. I agree with the original poster that a rocker method is easier.

--Marky

My 2 cents

I prefer fewer 'direction' keys when entering numbers. I agree with the original poster that a rocker method is easier.

--Marky

I felt the same way at first....it drove me crazy using the keypad method...until i got used to it...i now find it much quicker....again, it's all preference...i did not say it was a better method, but it is a quicker method when you get used to it.

I know many of you guys have suggestions to make to Garmin, Magellan, ect to let them know what we need/want to see from their products. Do any of you guys know where any of these companies have a suggestions board?

How about shipping a screen protector with the GPSr?

User-programmable keys / buttons? So I can make the zoom in/out buttons do something when I'm in a screen that doesn't use them...

Truly standard NMEA communication with the GPSr?

Fully accessible "internals" of the GPSr when connected to computer -- let's say someone buys 12 receivers, and wants to configure them all the same way - just hook 'em up and run your config script. Heck, I'd like to be able to edit my "welcome" screen on my PC and download it to the GPRr...

Open map formats? (that'll never happen...)

And imho, a unit that costs more than about $100 should come with a coupon / code so the buyer can download their home county/city/state (x number of MB of data?) into the unit's memory. Or at least a coupon / code for $X.00 off one of the company's map products.

That's probably more like $0.10 rather than 2 cents' worth... :(

Easier way to toggle maps on unit (topo vs CS/CN). currently have to menu->setup, navigate to the maps option, then menu->hide/show.

Use of the transflash to store waypoints in seperate files and seperate dirs (like the explorists).

gpsr support of pocket queries for geocaching (support putting the cache details, hints, finder comments on the gpsr).

option when autorouting, to show all food/fuel/etc in order of distance, or only stuff that I haven't passed yet.

Not unit related.

More up to date topo maps.

Very nice, but not probable:

provide a site at garmin.com (or some such thing) to allow people to upload tracklogs. Process these tracklogs and add it to topo maps, and offer it as a cheap subscription service. Maybe allow people to add comments and stuff on the maps. Kinda like a wikipedia approach to maps.

...Very nice, but not probable:

provide a site at garmin.com (or some such thing) to allow people to upload tracklogs. Process these tracklogs and add it to topo maps, and offer it as a cheap subscription service. Maybe allow people to add comments and stuff on the maps. Kinda like a wikipedia approach to maps.

Probably easy enough to do, except for the topo part. One could set up such a service with some Google Maps hacking and photo tagging for the info. Sorta a tracklog blog interfaced into Google Maps.

...Very nice, but not probable:

Probably easy enough to do, except for the topo part. One could set up such a service with some Google Maps hacking and photo tagging for the info. Sorta a tracklog blog interfaced into Google Maps.

Acutally if you have the topo maps, it's a pretty straight forward process (tedious, but not rocket science) to roll your own maps. I've done it, following the directions from various posts here (and external sites). I debated trying to do a webapp to do just this, but I'm 95 pecent linux, and the software listed is windows. It just wasn't worth my time to run the various apps in an emulation environment, or three tier it.

Now that I think about it, you can use the usgs maps that are free for download to create trailmaps too. I'm pretty sure I've seen that mentioned here.

Here's another suggestion: One-button "start tracklog" or "stop tracklog" operation. There's times when I'm driving that I'd like to be able to turn it on or off without going through menu -> tracks -> start/stop -> enter. How 'bout a press-n-hold feature, like turns the compass on or off on the 60CSx.

Now THAT is one feature that I would like to have on my Legend CX more than a lot of what's there...i'd trade the autorouting, alarm clock, stopwatch, games, 10 different tones, all the different display color choices, and a bunch of other stuff to have a Start/Stop tracklog button...i was out on my 4-wheeler last night..wanted to lay down some tracks for a map...but there was a lot of backtracking..if i could easily start and stop the tracklog i would...as it is now, all the backtracking lays down waypoints as well...when i got home i had to spend an hour on the computer deleting the backtrack track points and splitting the track to get it the way i wanted, and still don't have it perfect!

1) A real geocaching mode.

2) Increase the number of waypoints

3) Allow you to manually adjust the odometer reading. Since I'm a avid bicyclist, that function would be great. Most cyclometers now have that function.

4) Magellan only - at least make the Explorist have the same software features as the Garmin's. That includes a trip odometer separate from the main Odometer, The ability to go down to .01 mile on the odometer, being able to tell moving MPH from total MPH, elevation speed, trip computer etc. etc. Why Magellan dumbed down the Explorist from the Meridians, I never know.

I like the rocker function as it is. If you got to manually enter LETTERS by only up and down, you'll be doing it all day long to enter a few waypoint names like you have to with the Yellow Etrex. Yes, I do enter waypoints manually at times when I find something interesting I want to mark like a historical sign.

Edited by gpsblake

1) A real geocaching mode (as mentioned above). the current one is a complete waste.

2) How about fixing the last 5 custom symbols on the 60 series so they can be assigned to waypoints?

3) A one-button push (and hold) to toggle maps.

4) a one-button push (and hold) to turn off/on the data fields on the screen. I typically have 4 fields displayed on the map when driving, but then if I actually want to scroll around the map, I need to turn them off (Or else I'm stuck with this little itsy-bitsy-teeny-wheeny map).

5) Have waypoints stored on SD card (so the number is only limited by the size of the card). POIs just don't cut it for geocaching (for me).

6) Upping the number of characters in the name/hint for waypoints. The POI limits are much more reasonable.

I'm sure I could come up with more.

1) A real geocaching mode (as mentioned above). the current one is a complete waste.

2) How about fixing the last 5 custom symbols on the 60 series so they can be assigned to waypoints?

3) A one-button push (and hold) to toggle maps.

4) a one-button push (and hold) to turn off/on the data fields on the screen. I typically have 4 fields displayed on the map when driving, but then if I actually want to scroll around the map, I need to turn them off (Or else I'm stuck with this little itsy-bitsy-teeny-wheeny map).

5) Have waypoints stored on SD card (so the number is only limited by the size of the card). POIs just don't cut it for geocaching (for me).

6) Upping the number of characters in the name/hint for waypoints. The POI limits are much more reasonable.

I'm sure I could come up with more.

7) Some kindof memory for the compass so I don't have to remember to calibrate it everytime I change the batteries.

8) Customized order for the "find" menu. Right now I can only order it by "autoorder" which is ordered by the most recently used, or the default order....neither of which I like. I'd like to order it as waypoints, custom POI, Food, Gas, Exits...etc, and have it always show up that way.

9) A better warning system for upcoming turns...I'd like it to beep 2 or 3 seconds earlier than it does now.

Edited by ThePropers

Hey, here's another one that I came up with tonight.

How about a set of user-configurable saved settings. When I'm just driving with the GPS on the dash, I want my map to display speed and bearing (just an example), but when I'm hiking I might want it to show me my elevation and EPE. When navigating to a cache, maybe distance to cache and EPE.

Anyway, the point is, I'm sure there are some "default configurations" you go back to, after you play with your GPS and wear all the "new" off all the features. You decide what works for you and keep it that way. How about a way to save those configurations, so with one button push, you can get it back into "Geocaching" mode from "Driving" mode.

1) ANTI GLARE SCREEN!!!

Drives me nuts in the car because I can't turn the unit to the preferred viewing position because of glare.

2) Combine Topo and Detailed streets into ONE software with the ability to select level of detail in map setup.

Why do I have to display one or the other?

3) An EASY way to convert and save a route or track to a transparent map object. (To make custom maps I guess)

The feature I miss most now that I've switched from explorist to 60cx:

in the magellan, when viewing the screen that points you to ground zero, there were icons at the edge of the compass to show the position(s) of sun and moon. This allowed me to orient even if I was walking around in circles (or standing still) and it didn't know which direction I was facing. I still carry my compass anyway, but that was pretty handy for quick-and-easy location of north.

Since I went from an explorist 100 to the high-end garmin, I still have seen overwhelmingly positive changes by and large, but I wish I could get that feature back . . .

td

Ditto. Waypoint storage on a card not only makes it easier to increase the #, but also to synchronize data easier with a PC

Also tracks/trails/whatever should be storable on an SD card. A limit of 10 or 20 trails sucks. I do a lot of spur-of-the-moment hiking, and I'd like to put trails info on the SD card so I can have the info ready, instead of having to go back to my PC to get it.

* Hierarchical waypoint names (e.g. Properties/BlahBlahForest/001, Hiking/Mountains/Washington) instead of a flat namespace (does the eXplorist 600 do this by allowing you to store POIs in separate files? I'm intrigued.)

* Layers (ability to turn certain categories of waypoints on and off so the display isn't cluttered up)

* More flexibility in waypoint autosequencing (instead of just 001, 002, 003, how about WTL0001, WTL0002, etc. for wetlands, BDYxxxx for boundaries and 4 digits not 3). I don't have time to key in a name (and make sure it is unique!), I'd like to select an autosequencing type from a few common ones, and let it come up with a unique number that I can use in my field notes. Autosequencing should be done like the cameras do it (they don't reuse numbers).

* User-definable icons. (some of the garmins do this, I think) I have a Lowrance iFinder and more than half of the icons are useless to me. They're almost all about hunting/boating/driving (tree stands, boat ramps, airports) and there's no icon for trailhead, cellar hole, survey boundary, wetland, etc.

* A non-proprietary map format, so I can decouple my purchase of a GPS receiver from the purchase of maps I buy for it

* Ensure waypoints are stored with timestamps (my Lowrance does, my Garmin Legend does not) and EPE numbers

* Ensure trackpoints are stored with timestamps (my Garmin does, my Lowrance does not)

* Support for polygon shapes, not just tracks/routes (e.g. if you are visiting a parcel of land, have the ability to transfer the parcel boundary from your PC to the GPS)

* Waterproof seals / battery doors that are RELIABLE (not like my @#%@#%# Lowrance!)

I'm sure there are others but those are the ones I can remember. This stuff is really basic, but the manufacturers are lame.

btw, I agree that the popup keyboard to spell is better than up/down, but maybe it should be a user-defined choice. My lowrance has up/down and it takes FOREVER, much longer than my Garmin.