Basic Camo Paint

Mr Lost

I painted three ammo cans with different base colors to see how they would turn out. They are nothing special, but I was curious about others techniques. The five cans on the left are all the colors that I used.

The Primer Grey, Light Green, and Tan were the base colors used on the cans, from left to right. The unpainted can on top is what they all looked like before painting. I used all the colors after the base layers were applied on each can, and used the black at a distance to 'dust' the whole paint jobs to help blur the lines a little. Admittedly, this is a pretty amateur job, but for a fast-and-dirty effort, it is not too bad.

33592307-6835-4bb7-b426-5e2097195dce.jpg

They don't look bad. When applying camo paint in the military, the "dark/forest green" is most often used as a base color when applying a woodland pattern. Other colors are then applied over it. The pattern you pick and base color you choose will all be based on the surroundings you plan on hiding them in.

You may want to avoid straight/sharp edges to your pattern as they don't appear in nature that often.

That said, if you have alot of time on your hands, you may want to look into the new pilexlated camo pattern that's now being used by the Army and Marines. While it's composed of many small straight edged pilexs, in blends in alot better than the older patterns.

I now use a rough finished, forest green for a base coat, then add browns and blacks. I don't use grey unless its a hide in a lot of rocks, but for my rock hides I like to use Fleckstone paint.

I've taken an oak leaf and used it as a stencil and it came out nice. Here is one with the oak leaf stencil and one using Fleckstone paint:

ac6ec50c-5637-46d0-92ca-c55820d952c4.jpg

Normally though I just use freehand squirts of black and brown over the green like this one:

457d1589-c376-4c7c-ae87-780cbf7d3083.jpg

Edited by briansnat

Are the leaf patterns applied with a stencil?

No, they're applied with leaves.

Criminal discusses his method here. Mine is basically the same. I just use different paint and foliage. (I use some twigs snatched from a burning bush bush that my wife loves and I would love to chop down.)

Edited by sbell111

Be advised that even the best camo, paint job will not mask the unnatural shape of an ammo can. The only way to make an ammo can invisible is to go for the "3d effect."

This is the bottom side, when the ammo can is tipped over, it is covered with mosses, and colored grass.

e9b7a3f4-d9a1-4be9-9c34-ceb6227a6b8e.jpg

Notice the unnatural "straight edge" I "ramped up" the fallen leaves from the Manzanita bush, to make the edge disappear.

53a11aa7-3923-43cd-8b65-0558a6513783.jpg

Be advised that even the best camo, paint job will not mask the unnatural shape of an ammo can. The only way to make an ammo can invisible is to go for the "3d effect."

I disagree. A good paint job can break up the lines of a box. The box I posted a pic of virtually disappears when placed in the shadow of a leafy bush. The trick is making the paint job fit the location.

Edited by sbell111

Got to comment when I see something good. Kudos to both sbell 111 and Coyote Red on their cammo patterns. I'll also have to agree that the pattern itself can greatly help in breaking up the straight lines of the can, if properly applied. Coyote Red's pattern while not exactly a pilexlated pattern has pretty much the same effect. Very well done!!! Nothing irks me more than finding an unpainted can thrown under a bush with the yellow lettering facing up. It doesn't show much effort by the hider. However, I do like reading the data on the can when I find them like that. I guess it's the old Support Platoon Leader in me coming out. (Support Platoon Leaders are responsible for ammunition resupply in Armor and Infantry Battalions)

Edited by eagletrek

Camo gun/bow tape works well provided the color scheme matches the surrounding area. I used to use the Wally Whirled camo duct tape but found it to be too glossy at first and then weather away after a season or two. I've found that the Mossy Oak pattern that's heavy on the dark brown works well pretty much year round. The first camo gun tape covered container I made is still fine after a year of being outside. It was somewhat protected in it's hiding place but still had to suffer two Alabama summers.

Back OT, it's amazing how well some simple primer gray or that rust brown and a handful of the dirt from where you're going to hide it work. Try this for an experiment. Go get some (handful) dirt, leaves, grass etc. from the yard and let it dry a little bit (30 minutes on a newspaper). Spray down a small container with the $1.99 primer and while it's still wet sprinkle your dirt and debris mix. The primer is non-reflective and covers exceptionally well while the dirt looks more natural than even the speckle paint. Cheaper and often more effective. :(

I hate it when my seal leaks.

I think you know what you have to do.

040414_seal_hunt_vlrg_7a.vlarge.jpg

I know I'll get flamed for off topic and the other reason, but I bet that poor GUY wishes he hadn't gone on the ice that day. Or he was paid a lot for the picture. Its gotta be at least a decade or two old and still popping up.

SSD

And yeah, its just gonna leak more after that.