Can any one tell me what is wrong with this cache?

rldill

My cache has been archived by NCreviewer for no reason I can think of. As can be seen on the cache page he disabled it on 10-11-06, I sent him an email then asking what was the problem and got no no response from him. I sent another email through GC.com after he archived the cache and still get no reply. I have blanket permission from the park system, and he is well aware of that fact.

You must be joking, right? You've been around long enough to know how it works. Someone posted a maintenance note in May, which was never addressed, numerous DNF's and the reviewer disabled it a month ago. MINIMALLY you should have posted some kind of note on the page back in May and probably disabled it yourself in September. At some point you evidently edited the cache page, but you should have posted some kind of log addressing the condition of the cache. That way, even if your emails didn't get through, at least there would have been something from you on the cache page. I'd say it's not real surprising under the circumstances that the cache got archived.

The aug 14th DNF was by a new cacher and I checked then, it as there. All the other DNFs were from the same day the day before I replaced the container as pointed out on the cachepage and to NCreviewer.

When I looked at the cache page, it looks like there was no response to the cache being disabled. I usually post a note in the log saying , "The cache is now back...".. It's very possible the reviewer looked at it the same way everyone in the forum has looked at it so far...

Sounds like a simple misunderstanding

The aug 14th DNF was by a new cacher and I checked then, it as there. All the other DNFs were from the same day the day before I replaced the container as pointed out on the cachepage and to NCreviewer.

You need to post an actual 'log' to remove the needs maintenance flag, not just update the description.

Sounds like a simple misunderstanding

I might could agree to it being a simple misunderstanding if I had not sent 2 emails to him with no reply.

Its helpful to both the reviewer and your fellow geocachers if you were to note maintenance visits in the logs.

First a "performed maintenance" log is the way to reset the "needs maintenance" attribute which is now set.

Second, the reviewer likely looks at the logs when there is a problem and might not notice an update to the text.

Third, geocachers who use programs like GSAK that key off the logs will likely ignore your cache. That's because without a performed maintenance log, as far as GSAK is concerned the cache hasn't been found and you haven't done anything about it.

How did you attempt to contact the reviewer? Did you use the contact link in his/her profile or did you reply to the email notice you received when the cache was disabled? If you used the reply button in your email program the reply was not received by the reviewer. I would perform the maintenance and log it then contact the reviewer through his/her profile.

My cache has been archived by NCreviewer for no reason I can think of. As can be seen on the cache page he disabled it on 10-11-06, I sent him an email then asking what was the problem and got no no response from him. I sent another email through GC.com after he archived the cache and still get no reply. I have blanket permission from the park system, and he is well aware of that fact.

Logs on the cache page say it all, after you have fixed YOUR cache ask the NC Reviewer to review and unarchive.

Max Cacher

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer // Moderator

I might could agree to it being a simple misunderstanding if I had not sent 2 emails to him with no reply.

Or... maybe they're busy and haven't checked email in a bit... or maybe whatever they get email through is having server problems... or maybe their internet is down... or maybe they're on vacation and away from home... or maybe they got into a car accident and are in the hospital...

There's a million reasons they might not be responding to your emails at the moment. Screaming about them on the forum isn't going to endear anyone to your issue. Give it a month and see if you get a reply. I could easily see dozens of situations in which they wouldn't have access to a computer for quite a while.

Or... maybe they're busy and haven't checked email in a bit... or maybe whatever they get email through is having server problems... or maybe their internet is down... or maybe they're on vacation and away from home... or maybe they got into a car accident and are in the hospital...

There's a million reasons they might not be responding to your emails at the moment. Screaming about them on the forum isn't going to endear anyone to your issue. Give it a month and see if you get a reply. I could easily see dozens of situations in which they wouldn't have access to a computer for quite a while.

First off I don't hear him screaming. Second to wait a month is a bit long. I'll agree with another poster that it sounds like a misunderstanding. Roger is a well respected cacher around these parts and NC Reviewer is held in high regard, so I'm sure the problem will be cleared up shortly.

El Diablo

How did you attempt to contact the reviewer? Did you use the contact link in his/her profile or did you reply to the email notice you received when the cache was disabled? If you used the reply button in your email program the reply was not received by the reviewer. I would perform the maintenance and log it then contact the reviewer through his/her profile.

I bet that gof1 hit the nail on the head. Email the reviewer through his profile and let us know what happens.

Despite whatever action you may have taken, without any kind of logs from you, it makes it appear like you ignored it.

Thats my guess too.

Looking at the logs on the page it looks like the cache was muggled (or just the logbook got waterlogged??) back in May. Somone posted a needs maintanance log, and there were several DNF in Aug & Sept. The reviewer posted a note saying to please fix the cache in Oct, then after a month and no apperent response archived the cache.

If you emailed the reviwer they may have not received the email, or have it but haven't gotten to it, or maybe they got it and didn't know what the heck you were talking about (did you include cache ID number or URL?). The first thing you might want to do is post a 'maintance performed' log if your sure the cache is there and ok. Doing this will get rid of that first aid cross flagging your cache as needing help... I'd also suggest you post a note saying you've visited the cache (when?) and comfirm it is there. Finally email the reviewer, making sure to include a URL link to the cache, explain that cache is there and is ok asking that they please unarchive.

have to side with the reviewer on this one.

It's terribly irresponsible when cache owners can't be bothered to update people on the status of caches that are in need of help. Doesn't take any time, and would let everyone know what's up.

If you want to keep the cache, get it back up, notify the reviewer and it even says there's no problem with getting it back.

If you aren't up to the responsibility of maintenance, etc. then you don't have to do anything, as someone else will place a new cache in the area and take responsibility for it.

personally I think it should be a rule that caches that are disabled or listed missing with no information or reply from the owner for more than even 1 month should automatically be put up for adoption.

As a fellow cacher locally to both the NC Reviewer & RLDILL, I feel these two reasonable people can resolve the issue off-line and this in the best interest of the local NC community.

We have virtually no such negativity here in this area, it has to be a misunderstanding. Let's get the two talking. We need to have a positive upbuilding atmospere here that continues, especially with Geo Woodstock coming to the area.

So far, NC Reviewer has been completely unresponsive . . . when he comes on line, the matter will surely be quietly resolved. Afterall, is it not part of his responsibility to enhance and protect the game in his area through maintaining standards of quality, not only in caches but in communication?

<tangent>

Afterall, is it not part of his responsibility to enhance and protect the game in his area through maintaining standards of quality, not only in caches...

Is that's true? I've got to talk to my local reviewer about some of the quality of caches in my region. :huh:

I didn't think that reviewers looked at the quality of a cache, but just whether it adheres to the guidelines and local ordinances.

</tangent>

So far, NC Reviewer has been completely unresponsive . . . when he comes on line, the matter will surely be quietly resolved. Afterall, is it not part of his responsibility to enhance and protect the game in his area through maintaining standards of quality, not only in caches but in communication?

GPA and RLdill --

There was a thread over on the NCGeocachers.org and the I asked the best way to get in touch with NCReviewer.... to which I got the response to send them a message from their Geocaching.com profile page.

So if you've done that, then sit back and wait a few days.... sometimes our 'other jobs' get in the way (or so I have been told) :huh::huh:

The best thing to do is/was to post an Owner Maintenance log on your own cache.

Then all the geocachers would see it. And any reviewer would see it before he/she decided to archive the cache. When you edit your cache page and put the date you fixed it in there, that might not be seen by a reviewer. The reviewer posted a note to basically say that he/she is watching to see if anything gets done. A month later when he/she didn't see anything it was archived.

<tangent>

Afterall, is it not part of his responsibility to enhance and protect the game in his area through maintaining standards of quality, not only in caches...

Is that's true? I've got to talk to my local reviewer about some of the quality of caches in my region. :huh:

I didn't think that reviewers looked at the quality of a cache, but just whether it adheres to the guidelines and local ordinances.

</tangent>

Indeed -- NCReviewer for the past week or so has been going through the periodic (as far as I can tell) archiving of dead or apparently missing caches.

With a string of DNFs, no notes posted from the owner, an outstanding Maintainence attribute, I can see how the NCR would misunderstand the state of the cache.

So bottom line, when you get a 'needs maintainence' flag on a cache, after you fix it, go in and *LOG* that fact and reset the flag. That'll keep your cache off the reviewer's archive targets list as well as let other cachers know that you've been paying attention.

It's terribly irresponsible when cache owners can't be bothered to update people on the status of caches that are in need of help. Doesn't take any time, and would let everyone know what's up.

If you want to keep the cache, get it back up, notify the reviewer and it even says there's no problem with getting it back.

If you aren't up to the responsibility of maintenance, etc. then you don't have to do anything, as someone else will place a new cache in the area and take responsibility for it.

personally I think it should be a rule that caches that are disabled or listed missing with no information or reply from the owner for more than even 1 month should automatically be put up for adoption.

Did you read the thread before posting a comment about the cacher being "irresponsible"? The reviewer doesn't have a "side", he just has not responded as of yet. Rldill did maintenence and apparently misunderstood (Although your profile says you have been at this a while) the proper way to communicate it on the page. He's learned and now will probably get it resolved.

If you aren't up to the responsibility of reading the thread, then you don't have to write anything, as someone else will post a new message in the forum responsibly.

<tangent>

</tangent>

You are absolutely correct about guidelines/ordinances, my wording was poor, if not inconsistant with my thoughts :huh: .

But . . . the key thought in that sentence was the value a reviewer brings to the game, not only in maintaining reasonable standards in caches & placements but also in local communication with cachers to maintain an amiable growing and pleasant game.

It might not be written in the rules, but it is critical to the area's growth and joy in the game. A good reviewer, with open comminication and considerate comments, make his area grow in cachers & caches while making the game fun for everyone . . . unfortunately, the truth is that it can be just the opposite, as well.

I feel that the two parties, & I know them as reasonable & fair, can & will resolve the matter, once the communication opens . . . as it well should be, hopefully in a private forum.

I had a problem with a cache -flooding- and when the reviewer threatened to archive it I emailed him a message explaining that I intended to make a trip later that week to replace the cache. He wrote back and said to post the explaination to the cache webpage as a note so it would be right there when he reviewed the cache status. Now that is what I always try to do when I have a problem. I post a note for the reviewer so he'll have my imput when making a determination...otherwise if I email him he has to look up the waypoint number (if I even bothered to include it in my email) and then find the cache page and it is just easier for them if there is a note right there on the cache page.

The way I understand it, the reviewers are responsible for ,to the best of their ability, making sure that a cache adheres to GC.com guidelines and is in compliance with any local rules. It is not their job to see to the quality of cache placement. If they start getting into the quality issues problems will arise. The definition of a quality cache hide is just WAY too subjective. I think the arguments in these forums attest to that.

Now, back on topic. I still think that this case is just a matter of communication. Some where the two parties are not making the connections. If I was to guess I would say that the cache owner may have clicked reply to in his email program, but that is just a guess. At any rate if the two of them make contact this will most likely be cleared up in a matter of one round of emails. Two rounds at the most.

He's not irresponsible. He has indicated that he has made an attempt to contact the reviewer. I know Roger personally and if someone posted that there was a problem with the cache, he went at the first possible time and fixed it. Obvisously he is having problems communicating with the reviewer, and I'm sure that between the two of them they will work it out soon.

El Diablo

GPA and RLdill --

There was a thread over on the NCGeocachers.org and the I asked the best way to get in touch with NCReviewer.... to which I got the response to send them a message from their Geocaching.com profile page.

So if you've done that, then sit back and wait a few days.... sometimes our 'other jobs' get in the way (or so I have been told) :huh::huh:

How long is a few days the 1st email was sent 10-11-06, to his profile and he has not responded as of yet.

GPA and RLdill --

So if you've done that, then sit back and wait a few days.... sometimes our 'other jobs' get in the way (or so I have been told) :huh::lol:

How long is a few days the 1st email was sent 10-11-06, to his profile and he has not responded as of yet.

So tommorrow it will be a week? :huh:

So tommorrow it will be a week? :lol:

It was 5 weeks yesterday.

This is why I like it when people write the month or at least an abbreviation :huh: But that is getting off topic...

LOL! 10-11-06 stands for October the eleventh, 2006. :huh:

Sorry...I couldn't resist.

El Diablo

Or the tenth of November (ie last Friday). If you use letter to denote the month then people can usually figure out which was the day and which was the year. Just throwing out a string of numbers and expecting people will always know what format your using might not work out :huh:.

Well, just remember that Reviewers are kind folks who donate their time to GC.com. They don't sit at a desk and wait for emails to come in and they might not even have blackberrys (or my treo of choice). Give it some time. Heck, I loged a virtual once and waited 3 weeks for the placer to write back and say I found the wrong thing...They'll get back to you. Maybe they'd rather investigate and reply when they have something definitive to say...

Just my 2 cents.

--MGB

Just the luck of the draw... your week to be 'it'.

Everyone knows the Reviewers have a printout of all geocachers.

They take turns in order of seniority and once a week the lucky Reviewer tears off a sheet of names from the printout, hangs it on the wall and throws a dart at it.

Whoever it hits gets to be 'it'.

The Reviewers then conduct a secret cabal and discuss ways to screw with the 'it' cacher.

If that's you, man, good luck, but nothing you can do about it.

Just suck it up and hope you still have an account left when they are done with you, much less any caches.

Ed

So tommorrow it will be a week? B)

This is why I like it when people write the month or at least an abbreviation :o But that is getting off topic...

LOL! 10-11-06 stands for October the eleventh, 2006. :D

El Diablo

Or the tenth of November (ie last Friday). If you use letter to denote the month then people can usually figure out which was the day and which was the year. Just throwing out a string of numbers and expecting people will always know what format your using might not work out :anibad:.

I don't know about where your from but "most" people recognize a "string" of numbers poted in that format as "month, day, year"!

So are you saying 9-11-01 is Nov. 9 2001?

So tommorrow it will be a week? B)

This is why I like it when people write the month or at least an abbreviation :D But that is getting off topic...

LOL! 10-11-06 stands for October the eleventh, 2006. B)

El Diablo

Or the tenth of November (ie last Friday). If you use letter to denote the month then people can usually figure out which was the day and which was the year. Just throwing out a string of numbers and expecting people will always know what format your using might not work out :o.

I don't know about where your from but "most" people recognize a "string" of numbers poted in that format as "month, day, year"!

If you write out the month it leaves less guessing as to what the 'string' is telling you. Or do 'most' people not care how easy it is to recognize the date?

It could be, what format are you using? :anibad:

Well, "most" people inside the U.S. may assume the format means "month, day, year", however, it may surprise you to know that the U.S. military and people in "most" countries would normally read that format as "day, month, year". Believe it or not, those folks also participate in these forums.