TB Race

samirsky

Hi!

We just entered our TB's for a private competition. Since we're from the Netherlands we really would like to see an option to turn the Miles into Kilometers (mi to km). This would be great! :(

Great suggestion!

I need to:

1. fix the race start logic (This used to work. Don't know when it broke.)

2. Confirm this works for geo-coins

3. Display km

Would you rather a option to change mi>km (site wide), or is displaying both good enough?

Well, geocaching.com has the option to change it site wide, but to display both is probably easier.

Thanks for the fast reply!

Wow just discovered this thread sound like a great idea! I know I would use this website if it was available

www.TBrace.com

I signed up today at above site, I noticed the upcoming public race Holland2009. is this a Holland race only?

Is there a place where we can find info. to races and can I start 1 with spacific goals? :P

Wow just discovered this thread sound like a great idea! I know I would use this website if it was available

www.TBrace.com

I signed up today at above site, I noticed the upcoming public race Holland2009. is this a Holland race only?

Strictly speaking, public races are open to anyone. However, the owner may have other ideas. If one wants to restrict access to join the race, you can create a private race and give the codeword to anyone you want to join.

Is there a place where we can find info. to races and can I start 1 with spacific goals? :P

What type of specific goals would you like?

The first race goal I think of is a race to a specific location/cache. Instead of the race being who logs the most miles, the race is who comes closest to the goal.

What are your ideas?

Edited by samirsky

:D I Have a few ideas for races eg; I live in minnesota, a race down the mississippi would be fun, I need to find a southern point of destination, with most cache visits. also anyone in mn that might be intersted?

I was hoping your site would be more active, as many people were interested; my TBs are trained and raring to go.... :)

I've also a problem with our teamname: Venniper Cache-zoekers and we want also enter the Hollandrace. Can you solve it too?

greets, VCZ

The site has now been updated to accept non-standard characters in your username.

I also added units of kilometers.

Continue to give me feedback.

You can expect to hear about TBrace.com on an upcoming Podcacher broadcast.

Other known issue:

2 cachers have had trouble adding additional TB's after registering for the site. I believe this has been fixed. However, if you run into this issue, logout and login again. Then you should be able to add your TB.

Recently, a few fellow geocachers and I started a TB race to see who could travel the most miles within a time limit. (You can see the current standings at www.TNLNSL.net) I liked the idea so much, I have been working on a website where you can create your own race for you and your friends, create a race for anyone to join, or join a race someone else has started.

Would any of you be interested in using a website such as this? It is quite a bit of work, and I have had a motivation issue getting it done. I thought maybe if many were interested, it might motivate me to get the site ready for deployment.

Also, is anyone interested in beta testing the web site? Actually, at this point it would be more like alpha testing (developing/testing needed features as well as nice-to-haves). If you want to test the site, email me via gc.com, and I will give you the URL.

So, what do you think? Do you like the idea? Would it be fun and would you use it (or not)?

Let me know,

Sam

Is there anyway to change the TB's Name?

Can't seem to delete or edit the name of the bugs on the Race web site?

Thanks

Gary

Recently, a few fellow geocachers and I started a TB race to see who could travel the most miles within a time limit. (You can see the current standings at www.TNLNSL.net) I liked the idea so much, I have been working on a website where you can create your own race for you and your friends, create a race for anyone to join, or join a race someone else has started.

Would any of you be interested in using a website such as this? It is quite a bit of work, and I have had a motivation issue getting it done. I thought maybe if many were interested, it might motivate me to get the site ready for deployment.

Also, is anyone interested in beta testing the web site? Actually, at this point it would be more like alpha testing (developing/testing needed features as well as nice-to-haves). If you want to test the site, email me via gc.com, and I will give you the URL.

So, what do you think? Do you like the idea? Would it be fun and would you use it (or not)?

Let me know,

Sam

The TB name seems to have come right, must have taken a while to sync.

One more question can people link to the web page of our race?

If so what would the url be for a race?

See ya...Gary

The TB name seems to have come right, must have taken a while to sync.

Yes, the TB data only gets updated 1/night (and when you register the TB).

One more question can people link to the web page of our race?

If so what would the url be for a race?

See ya...Gary

Yes, you can link. The format for the URL is:

http://tbrace.com/index.php?rid=33

change the 33 to the race id for your race. You can also go to your race page and copy link.

Sam

Let me know,

Sam

Site looks good. But I'm wondering if you can add a map showing the location of the bugs in a given race.

Remember the old TB Cannonball run, that website had a map you could look at and see where the racers were.

BTW, I assume the Cannonball Run is now defunct. Anybody know?

Site looks good. But I'm wondering if you can add a map showing the location of the bugs in a given race.

Remember the old TB Cannonball run, that website had a map you could look at and see where the racers were.

BTW, I assume the Cannonball Run is now defunct. Anybody know?

The map capability is the most requested upgrade. It is on the top of the 'to do' list.

Let me know,

Sam

Hello

is there a way to change the number of Participants

its now 20 but I would linke to make is 250

http://tbrace.com/index.php?rid=89

greetings Peter

I have 2 quick questions:

1) Would I have to use a NEW TB to participate, or just one that I currently have in my possession (that has some miles on it already, but that I have in my possession right now)?

2) Do I have to have a premium Groundspeak membership to participate?

Edited by hoyshnin

I have 2 quick questions:

1) Would I have to use a NEW TB to participate, or just one that I currently have in my possession (that has some miles on it already, but that I have in my possession right now)?

2) Do I have to have a premium Groundspeak membership to participate?

Answers:

1. You do not need a NEW TB. The races are designed to track the miles accumulated by the TB after the race starts. Therefore it can be a new TB (no miles/km) or one you have had for a while which has traveled some distance. The requirement is that you OWN the TB (not that it is in your possession).

2. There is no requirement for premium Groundspeak membership (although I do highly encourage it to support the website which enables the fun we enjoy).

The TB race is awesome!!!!! And I have a few suggestions that you might want to hear. First of all, maybe you could make two types of races. Type 1 could be the current one, whoever gets the most miles in a certain amount of time wins. Type 2 could be racing to a specific location. For example, the first TB to Alaska wins. Also, tournaments might not be a bad idea. You could have a race and the top racers will move on to the next round. For instance, a race with 100 racers. The top 50 move on and race again. Then the top 20, top 10, top 5, and... you have the winner of the Tournament!! Thanks for reading my suggestions, buzzy_cacher

The TB race is awesome!!!!! And I have a few suggestions that you might want to hear. First of all, maybe you could make two types of races. Type 1 could be the current one, whoever gets the most miles in a certain amount of time wins. Type 2 could be racing to a specific location. For example, the first TB to Alaska wins. Also, tournaments might not be a bad idea. You could have a race and the top racers will move on to the next round. For instance, a race with 100 racers. The top 50 move on and race again. Then the top 20, top 10, top 5, and... you have the winner of the Tournament!! Thanks for reading my suggestions, buzzy_cacher

Good suggestions. Thanks!

I checked the website, and it looks really good. I am just verifying that the registration is on a TB-by-TB basis, not user-by-user.

Also, I had been thinking of sending out bugs with "TB Chase"-type missions, where a bug's mission is to catch up with another, a pursuit curve problem. I can see applications in a kind of "cops and robbers" scenario, where the robber wins if it reaches a location before the cop catches up with him. The equivalent "Three Mice" problem that I really want to get off the ground is a Rock-Paper-Scissors match, in which Rock chases Scissors, Scissors chases Paper, Paper chases Rock, the first to catch their target wins.

That may be a different direction to take the website (or it may be in line with the site), but I thought to throw it out there in one of the only forum topics specifically addressing multi-bug scenarios.

Thank you for the website. I will be registering a bug very soon.

I checked the website, and it looks really good. I am just verifying that the registration is on a TB-by-TB basis, not user-by-user.

Also, I had been thinking of sending out bugs with "TB Chase"-type missions, where a bug's mission is to catch up with another, a pursuit curve problem. I can see applications in a kind of "cops and robbers" scenario, where the robber wins if it reaches a location before the cop catches up with him. The equivalent "Three Mice" problem that I really want to get off the ground is a Rock-Paper-Scissors match, in which Rock chases Scissors, Scissors chases Paper, Paper chases Rock, the first to catch their target wins.

That may be a different direction to take the website (or it may be in line with the site), but I thought to throw it out there in one of the only forum topics specifically addressing multi-bug scenarios.

Thank you for the website. I will be registering a bug very soon.

Registration is for your user account. The site is designed so that you add TB's to your account. The requirement to add TB's is that you own the TB (on geocaching.com). Therefore, you must use the same username (spelled exactly the same) which you registered for geocaching.com. Note that the password should be unique, and does not need to match your geocaching.com password.

I like the "Cops and Robbers" race idea.

Thanks!

I signed up for the Vomar Racers TB race but found out that I need a specific kind of racer to participate. Others have graciously offered to ship one to me, but I think I'll just choose not to participate. The problem is that I can't figure out how to remove myself from the race. Can someone please tell me how to do this, or can the website operator please remove me themselves? Thanks.

My TB is Z-Racer TBF83F

I signed up for the Vomar Racers TB race but found out that I need a specific kind of racer to participate. Others have graciously offered to ship one to me, but I think I'll just choose not to participate. The problem is that I can't figure out how to remove myself from the race. Can someone please tell me how to do this, or can the website operator please remove me themselves? Thanks.

My TB is Z-Racer TBF83F

Your TB has been removed from that race.

Anyone else out there who has written code on a computer knows when it is finished. It is finished when the deadline gets here. That is probably true of anything I write. Well, I had made a personal deadline of before Christmas, so let's start using the site.

TBrace.com

For now, please post comments, suggestions, and bug reports in this forum thread. I hope it works and is fun for you.

Enjoy!

Sam aka samirsky

Hi Sam,

Can you please have a look at race : http://tbrace.com/index.php?rid=89

From Rank 4 there is a problem in the tables as you can see, any suggestions here?

Many thanks for your hard work

Frank

Hi Sam,

Can you please have a look at race : http://tbrace.com/index.php?rid=89

From Rank 4 there is a problem in the tables as you can see, any suggestions here?

Many thanks for your hard work

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks to you and others who brought this to my attention. I think I now have it under control.

Groundspeak changed the format of the TB pages, and that interfered with my site.

Check your race. TBrace.com is updating now. Your race should be correct after it finishes updating.

Sam

Hello

I've tried to create a race on TB rae.com but each time, my registration failed!

Always the same error message:

GC.com Username does not own TB. Check spellings.

Please try again.

But this TB is mine and even by trying with other TB or GC I owned, thre is alwaysd the same messae...

Any idea to solve this issue?

Greetings from France

Marpaut

Hello

I've tried to create a race on TB rae.com but each time, my registration failed!

Always the same error message:

GC.com Username does not own TB. Check spellings.

Please try again.

But this TB is mine and even by trying with other TB or GC I owned, thre is alwaysd the same messae...

Any idea to solve this issue?

Greetings from France

Marpaut

Bonjour Marpaut,

Yes, there have been some registration issues in the past which I fixed. However, you may have uncovered another "bug". The previous errors were caused by non-standard characters in the user name. However, your username is all standard characters.

Perhaps it is something about the travel bug number, or perhaps the formating of the TB page has changed.

Please tell me the Travel Bugs you have tried, which did not allow you to register.

Sam

hi there,

http://tbrace.com/index.php?rid=89 is still not working. People are loosing there interrest in this race because the race page dousnt update for more than a month now.

Can u repair it asap?

thx

This has been fixed.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It was actually affecting all races.

I have always intended to have the website email me if it encounters these types of errors. Perhaps I will add this self-notification so issues don't go unattended for a month.

here is a type of race I would like:

1. start anywhere you want

2. sent your TB/GC to (within 100m of) the exact opposite side of the world from where you are

3. have the TB/GC return home afterwards

4. first TB/GC back wins!

well getting it back home would be the trick may need to check out → http://travelbugbaja.forumcircle.com

#start any where /yes/ #first Tb with the m0st miles /wins/

I'm having problems regsitering on your website as it says

"GC.com Username does not own TB. Check spellings.

Please try again."

My TB is TB27H4Z and my UserId is The Jones'

Note the apostrope after the name - is this messing up your validation ?

Any help appreciated.

Brian.

Please try again."

Any help appreciated.

Brian.

Brian,

Could be the apostrophe. Let me check into it. I am traveling at the moment. Please contact/post me again if you don't hear something within a week.

Sam

Brian,

Could be the apostrophe. Let me check into it. I am traveling at the moment. Please contact/post me again if you don't hear something within a week.

Sam

Sam,

Any luck ?

My race is due to start at the weekend and I'd love to have something set up.

Brian

Hi there, i have registered today with my accountname written as langzaam instead as Langzaam. could this be the problem i cannot add the coin to a race as the dropbox is empty. I seem not able to change this. How to solve this problem. Problem seems to be sort of the same as previos poster. my coin (TB3V07G) should enter race 138.

Edited by Langzaam

Please try again."

Any help appreciated.

Brian.

Brian,

Hi there, i have registered today with my accountname written as langzaam instead as Langzaam. could this be the problem i cannot add the coin to a race as the dropbox is empty. I seem not able to change this. How to solve this problem. Problem seems to be sort of the same as previos poster. my coin (TB3V07G) should enter race 138.

This post has been edited by Langzaam: Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Sam

PROBLEM SOLVED, after two days of waiting the TB-code was available in de pulldown which made it possible to join the race.

Edited by Langzaam

Please try again."

Any help appreciated.

Brian.

Brian,

This post has been edited by Langzaam: Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Sam

PROBLEM SOLVED, after two days of waiting the TB-code was available in de pulldown which made it possible to join the race.

Langzaam,

Good to hear!

I am currently in contact with Groundspeak to get direct access to their TB database. This will elimate several issues, such as your 2 day delay.