Explorist 400 Ultimate Value Pack

bsci02

What is the deal with the Explorist 400 Ultimate Value Packs that are on ebay? They included a SD card, USB cable, case, rechargeable battery, and MapSend CD for like $150. That seems like a really good deal. Is it? There are several people selling them, and they all say new. I was thinking about getting one, just curious.

Anyone have any opinions? I am seriously considering purchasing one for my first GPS.

Looks a lot like the packages that were being sold by Costco earlier this year. Of the two up there, I'd go for the one with the cables (you'll want them). I've never been too sure about whether Magellan honored warranties of eBay sales, though.

In another thread, I see that Costco is still selling the 500 LE with Topo3D for $179. That particular package doesn't include a lot of the extras like the smallish SD card or the carrying case, but they are cheap to acquire. Also, this gps lacks the rechargeable Li-Ion, but I believe Magellan is selling the battery & charger now for $20.

I just bought the Explorist 400 and I can't get it to work with the comp. I paid about $40 more for mine so that is a good price. I just cant get through the connection to the comp says there are no drivers! If anyone can help please let me know.

Do you have the cable running down the length of the gps body? If it's running up the top side, you can charge the battery but not transfer data.

Edited by embra

I just bought the Explorist 400 and I can't get it to work with the comp. I paid about $40 more for mine so that is a good price. I just cant get through the connection to the comp says there are no drivers! If anyone can help please let me know.

You do not need drivers. Magellan units are configured to work with some sort of universal usb thing. That is why you can so easily copy or put files onto an explorist.

:anicute: What a deal! Just received my Explorist Ultimate Value Pack out of Ebay--$109.95 + shipping, Buy it now! Found my first cache with it this morning, and I am very impressed with what I got for the money. You can't go wrong at these prices! An added bonus is that they include geocaching software that makes it easy to transfer GPX files. Great reception, reliability, and a super price!

We started caching with the Explorist 100 almost a year ago. Really dislike manually entering coords. Hubby bought an Explorist 400 (the pkg. deal you mention) and a palm pilot for my birthday....I wanted a kitchen table :unsure: .... Anywho, we have played with this on two road trips now and really like the basic built in map. I would love this if I could get the darn thing to actually download coords. Still going manual. The GOTO funtion is a little different now too. If, like me, you are familliar with Magellan then I say go get it.

When you figure out how to make it work please share the info with me!! :blink:

I bought the explorist 400 value pack and love it! A lot fo the bad reviews that the explorist series GPSrs get is because people cannot figure out how to use them... Granted, this GPSr is so feature laden that it is sometimes more complicated than it needs to be, but study the manual, and it works great... even does street routing...

I just used my brand new X400 today, I really like the GC program in it. My problem was that my coords were about 25m off(I had to use my Garmin Etrex to find my caches today) but accuracy was 3m which is great. Don't know what's going on here, or how to fix that.

Also, there are so many features but the manual does not explain everything. I also could not upload waypoints to GPS until I read here that my cable was attached upside down. Now I can't upload from mapsend... again it says GPS not detected.

Im sure this will be a great GPS, they should really have a 200 page manual to cover everything we need to know.

I just bought an Explorist 500 and I had no problem hooking it to one of my computers but when I tried to hook it up to my other one, it did exactly what yours did. I haven't figured it out yet but what I found worked well with that computer was to put the card in a reader and use GSAK to write to the card.

You will find the link to download the GSAK program in the resources section on the main page of this web site.

Edited by High IQ

Im sure this will be a great GPS, they should really have a 200 page manual to cover everything we need to know.

The 119 page manual includes the basics, but I found it weak on how to use the unit for geocaching and autorouting when you have the detailed maps loaded. And it still doesn't include instructions for functions that came with the 4.2.02 firmware, like waypoint projection and marking geocache POIs as found. You're doing the right thing in coming to the forum for advice from experienced eXplorist owners.

What is the deal with the Explorist 400 Ultimate Value Packs that are on ebay? They included a SD card, USB cable, case, rechargeable battery, and MapSend CD for like $150. That seems like a really good deal. Is it? There are several people selling them, and they all say new. I was thinking about getting one, just curious.

I bought the 400 wilderness pack in Canada. We have different topo software. It is a must have up here because the basemap sucks north of USA. I used the basemap on holidays this summer once we were south of the border and it was WAY more detailed. I think it is a great package because they give you the software for dirt cheap as a package, but try to buy it after the fact and its $100 up here anyway.

Regarding the computer issues there are two things I would add. One as mentioned already, the cord has to run down the back or it wont work. The other thing I missed in the small print before buying, is that you have to be running minimum of WinXP. I was running 98 and the software would not load. Might have something to do with not recognizing the GPS as another drive as well.

Good luck