Trackable item page layout

wsgaskins

Love it! Great job GS! Thanks I think this is much more user friendly and might even help out on coins that go missing due to the finder having no idea how to log them.

Yeah, but... Can't there be some updates to the glossary and "Getting Started" FAQ? That would help solidify some global understanding of what those beautiful chunks of metal or fun items with tags are...

The changes are very nice for geocoins. Great! It would be nice if the beautiful map can also be implemented for travel bugs.

I have a small remark on the content of the travel bug pages. In the page how to log a travel bug, here, there is no explanation in how to use the types to log a bug. It would clarify a lot if the log types retrieve/grab/write note/discover/drop would be explained in simple words.

Zilvervloot.

oh bugger posted my reply in the wrong spot!please surf over here - the log types are explained simply on my suggested rewrite:-

no mention of anything other than GC trackables!

There was still the not small issue of the tracking number sometimes being called "travel bug number" this am... a roll over of the left menu changes it back to this and it's TB # on teh log page and other little problems.

I have rewriten the "How to Log a geocoin page" and sent the rewrite into Bryan. 3//4 of it was red pen.

Here's the meat of the extra text please proof read for me:-

-------------------------------------------------------http://www.geocaching.com/track/howtogeocoin.aspx--------------------------------------------------------------

How to use a Geocoin

A geocoin is a specially minted coin placed in geocaches as a trackable item similar to a travel bug, or as a prize or trade item. Geocaching.com trackable coins can travel from place to place once activated. If you found an activated geocoin you must add the story to its journey. This page refers to ACTIVATED geocaching.com trackable coins only. Refer to the FAQ for answers to other questions not covered on this page.

tracking a geocoin: (internally linked menu)

Picking up

dropping off

writing a note only

troubleshooting

Picking up a Geocoin

Step 1. Get the Tracking Number

The number is stamped on the coin usually near the words "track at geocaching.com" Tracking numbers have a two letter prefix and are alphanumeric. Make sure to write this number down before trading with another geocacher or dropping the item in a cache. All logs require the tracking number - if you lose it or forgot to write it down before dropping the coin off search for the coin in the inventory of the cache listing where you found it and email the owner immediately. Some trackable coins are also sequentially numbered in the order they were made in - either on the rim of the coin or on the obverse (front). This is NOT a tracking number.

Step 2. Visit the Geocoin's Page

Each geocoin has its own unique web page where you must log your find. To go to the geocoin's page enter the tracking number here www.geocaching.com/track

or you can visit the cache listing where you found the geocoin and click on the coin in the cache's inventory.

Step 3. Add a Log Entry to the Geocoin's Page

in the trackable item options menu ( top right ) click on ' found it ? log it! '

1.Select a log type from the pull down menu.

If the geocoin is listed as being in the cache where you found it use : "retrieve" it from the cache

If it isn't listed there, listed somewhere else or you received it directly from another geocacher use: "grab"

If you are not moving it but just want to write a note use: write note

If you are shown a geocoin by another geocacher but do not actually trade it use “discover” . This is a virtual log type which will not place the coin in your inventory but will only place the coin's icon permanently in your profile.

2. enter the coin's tracking number in "travel bug tracking number" ( aargh - replace with "travel bug or geocoin tracking number" )

3. write your log

4. click "submit" button. This puts it in your account's online inventory until you place it in a cache or someone else grabs it from you, and allows you to drop off the geocoin in another cache directly from the cache log. This will also add an icon permanently to your profile.

Dropping off a Geocoin

If the geocoin has a goal, please try and follow the goal as best you can. Visit the cache listing where you dropped off the coin and write a cache log.

1. Visit the Cache Listing

2. Visit the "log your visit" Page by clicking the link in the upper right-hand corner.

Enter some comments about your visit and the geocoin you traded.

If you have already logged your cache find, don't panic! use "write note".

3. Select the Geocoins to drop off

A list of geocoins in your inventory appears below the text box. Select one geocoin with your mouse pointer or hold down Ctrl on your keyboard and select several coins to drop off at once.

4. Click the button to submit your log to the cache page. The geocoin(s) will transfer from your inventory to the online cache listing.

Writing a note only (new section: insert before "trouble shooting)

If you wish to write a note about a coin on its webpage and you do not have the tracking number

1. access the geocoin's unique webpage by clicking on it in the cache inventory or finding it through a search

2. locate and copy the TB number provided on the webpage and

3. use the "foundit? Logit!" trackable option link to write a note - none of the other log options will work with this number. Your Note will appear on the webpage and be emailed to the coin owner.

Troubleshooting

There were no Geocoins listed on my "log a cache" page!

There are many possible reasons why the geocoins were not listed on your "log a cache" page.

* Some caches, like virtual caches, cannot act as containers for geocoins. This option will not show up for these kinds of cache listings.

* Someone grabbed the geocoin from you before you were able to log it. Revisit the geocoin page to see if it was grabbed by someone else. If so, contact the user and see if you can grab it back to add your story to the geocoin's page.

*you have found a "lost" geocoin - follow the steps above and use "grab" to log the coin

* you have found an untrackable geocoin

* you have found a geocoin tracked on another website

* you have found an unactivated geocoin - follow step one "get the tracking number". An activation page will display instead of the geocoin's own webpage. Follow the prompts. If you do not have an activation number with the coin visit the mint website or contact the geocoin forum for help

Refer to the geocoin FAQ for answers to other questions not covered on this page. ( add link )

Am i posting on teh right thread now?

Ok c+ for effort- respect the amount of work your development team has done. it's got a lot of bells and whistles. Some of teh most BASIC issues causing confusion for a noob have not been dealt with.

1.Basic html needed is the search engine keywords - you are still not in the top 5 or even top ten for a google search.

2.AND you MUST MUST MUST mention UNACTIVATED, UNTRACKABLES and NON GC TRACKED COINS prominently - challenge coins which they all derive from are not mentioned yet i don't think- rewriting the FAQ's later to ad links and better info. It's not a small job for the two fingered typist like me.

trackable-items.jpg

http://feralcaching.wordpress.com/2006/11/...coins-on-gccom/

Using Firefox v1, when I goto click on Geocoin home, the first time I click it just causes the three boxes to resize (the geocoin one gets smaller, the TB one gets bigger). I then have to click again to navigate. Not that I'm lazy (well not in this case anyway!), it just looks unprofessional.

Edited by chizu

This looks promising, but second step would be improve my inventory section. I would like to see separate section of your own coins/TBs and second on for those you just hold currently. Own coins/TBs section should also offer to group or hide item from the view. For example those coins you just show on event's or special ocasions. Now list I far too long.

A note about theft of coins. This is threatning to kill the whole coin thing off faster than a nuke.

Remove the word "collectible" which has been inserted all over the new geocoins pages. This is inflammatory. Replace with the word "FUN"

From the FAQ's "In addition, selling a coin which doesn’t belong to you is generally frowned upon unless you

have received express permission from its owner." This is gutless. Replace ASAP with "In addition, selling an activated geocoin which doesn’t belong to you is THEFT. Gecoins are left in caches with specific intent rather like a parked car, a park bench, water fountain or other item intended for a purpose and belonging to an individual or a community. Treat them with the same respect. A gecoin left in a cache as a trade item or an adopted geocoin may be sold by the new owner of course. If you are unsure as to whether you may sell, adopt or otherwise keep the geocoin you have found follow the "how to log a geocoin" (link) and check its mission, contact the person who left it through the cache logs or ask for help in the geocoin forums (link).

I am not sure the map is such a great idea except for the "geocoin pirat" ( when is GC going to treat this account as abuse of the website?) - a surprise coin in a cache is nicest i think.

This looks promising, but second step would be improve my inventory section. I would like to see separate section of your own coins/TBs and second on for those you just hold currently. Own coins/TBs section should also offer to group or hide item from the view. For example those coins you just show on event's or special ocasions. Now list I far too long.

I'd second that motion.

You should use the "trackables" tab of your "profile" for the separated list - but that profile is a bit too cryptic - click on the IMAGE of your stats at the top of the (oops) RIGHT menu tree in your acount.

Can GC make this clearer? i will add the instructions to my geocoin FAQ rewrite :unsure:

for some reason you cannot get here from the top menu in accounts "travel bugs mine"

edited for clarity and errors!

An instructional page might look like this:

Log in. Go to your account (www.geocaching.com left menu “my account” ) In addition to the inventory showing what bugs and coins you currently hold you can access a complete list of icons and every trackable you have moved.

seeing-your-trackables.jpg

Edited by forthferalz

Great work! Well done. I like the mapping feature for locating geocoins and TBs. Would it be possible to expand that beyond the radius predefined?

:unsure: Also very happy with improvements. Would like to see initial map to be owner coordinates specific. Also I know of a number of caches with coins within the 10 miles, you have stated was the radius, that are not showing up at all. These are in the Dallas Ft. Worth area.

Again the improvements are definately appreciated..... well done. :ph34r:

right now its only doing a search of 10 miles around the center of the map. It will only show one coin per geocache in that location. It will randomly choose a geocoin out of the cache on each visit. I didn't want to get the map overloaded on coin images. As we improve this page I'm sure other featueres that make it nicer (of course) will come into play.

-Raine

Completely subjectively, of course, but it does seem that on re-load that I see two or three coin 'flags' pop up one over the top of the other on caches that have more than one coin. As you indicated, the same coin does not always end up on 'top' (visible) for the cache, but it does seem that more than 1 coin per cache are being displayed.

Love it! Great job GS! Thanks I think this is much more user friendly and might even help out on coins that go missing due to the finder having no idea how to log them.

Yeah, but... Can't there be some updates to the glossary and "Getting Started" FAQ? That would help solidify some global understanding of what those beautiful chunks of metal or fun items with tags are...

I bet that comprehensive overhauls of the "About Geocaching" web pages are on the to-do list. The trackables pages were just more pressing because of needing to catch up with geocoins.

So, assume that in February there is a brand spanking new, crystal-clear summary of the game and its features, like trackables. Thinking that this will dramatically improve the loss rates and mistake rates for travel bugs and geocoins is, I believe, overly optimistic. As a contributor to FAQ's, my primary impression is: few people read them, especially those who need them.

Great work! Well done. I like the mapping feature for locating geocoins and TBs. Would it be possible to expand that beyond the radius predefined?

:ph34r: Also very happy with improvements. Would like to see initial map to be owner coordinates specific. Also I know of a number of caches with coins within the 10 miles, you have stated was the radius, that are not showing up at all. These are in the Dallas Ft. Worth area.

Again the improvements are definately appreciated..... well done. :unsure:

I moved a coin to a cache near my home coordinates and now map comes up with home at center. Looks like this has been fixed. :huh:

Proofreading bugs on the Geocoins and Travel Bugs FAQ pages:

The Q&A titled "How do I transfer ownership of my Geocoin to another geocacher?" needs to have its entry boldfaced and moved to a separate paragraph. It is buried within the Q&A titled "The Geocoin is no longer in [a cache]. How do I remove it?" Also, the hyperlink to the www.geocaching.com/adopt page is missing... the phrase "Visit the trackable adoption tool here" should be a link.

The Travel Bugs Q&A should have a similar entry on how to adopt a bug.

Hyperlinks in the Geocoins FAQ also seem to be missing for the phrases "For more information check out this FAQ on how to use a geocoin," and "Visit the Geocoin Activation Wizard to start activating your new geocoins."

I think it may be something to do with my account, but when logged in, and I go to the geocoin map page, it centres me on the equator/international date line. I cannot see any coins even when zooming to my home area.

I have tried resetting my home coordinates, but still have the same problem.

Also, Does the map update its icons on drag/zoom?

Thanks

On the main trackable page, you should be able to enter the number into the text box and get prompted to activate the coin.

-Raine

I like the new page look, but I cannot figure out how to activate coins. I've looked all over the pages and can't find an Activate link anywhere.

I tried what you said above, sort of in desperation, and just got "doesn't exist in the system."

So - how DO I activate a coin in the new layout? I'm stumped. Anyone have a direct link to an activation page?

On the main trackable page, you should be able to enter the number into the text box and get prompted to activate the coin.

-Raine

I like the new page look, but I cannot figure out how to activate coins. I've looked all over the pages and can't find an Activate link anywhere.

I tried what you said above, sort of in desperation, and just got "doesn't exist in the system."

So - how DO I activate a coin in the new layout? I'm stumped. Anyone have a direct link to an activation page?

Well, traditionally you would go through the activation pages over on the Travel Bug home:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/activate.aspx

But true to Raine's word, when I tried entering an unactivated coin's tracking # on the main page of the trackables screen, I got this message:

This trackable item hasn't been activated. Activate it now. (<-- link to the activate.aspx page.)

Hope that this helps. And I hope that you already have the activation code for the coin that you want to activate.... sometimes this is actually the hardest thing to get because you have to get it from either the coin manufacturer or from the cacher who sold you the coin.

-Raine

Well, traditionally you would go through the activation pages over on the Travel Bug home:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/activate.aspx

But true to Raine's word, when I tried entering an unactivated coin's tracking # on the main page of the trackables screen, I got this message:

This trackable item hasn't been activated. Activate it now. (<-- link to the activate.aspx page.)

Hope that this helps. And I hope that you already have the activation code for the coin that you want to activate.... sometimes this is actually the hardest thing to get because you have to get it from either the coin manufacturer or from the cacher who sold you the coin.

Thanks for the direct link to the Activation page - v. helpful, faster than going through the main page. Yes, I have several hundred coins, I know all about the activation codes. :anibad:

Turns out the coin I was trying to activate isn't yet in the system. The new approach worked fine for my others.

However, it's still an extra step/click - would be faster to have an Activate link on the main page boxes for both the Coins and the Travel Bugs. Just a thought.

Edited by hydnsek

Thinking that this will dramatically improve the loss rates and mistake rates for travel bugs and geocoins is, I believe, overly optimistic. As a contributor to FAQ's, my primary impression is: few people read them, especially those who need them.

Not so much speaking about theft, loss, and misuse, I see the FAQ page as very important to learning how to geocache, what words mean, and what I could possibly encounter within a cachebox. The issue of "few people reading them" is easily improved on when you ask how many current cachers have educated new cachers personally? Many. How many have referred new cachers to the FAQ or Glossary section? Few. How many new cachers would benefit from updated and current FAQ and Glossary sections? Every one of us.

Not everyone reads the forums, and some outright ignore them. The start page should contain reference materials such as an updated FAQ and Glossary to be used to teach new and existing cachers how to be community conscious when caching. These areas should be used as a general reference for those who may hear about geocaching.com, geocaching in general, don't read the forums, or stumble upon a cache in the wild. If I start caching, will I know what a geocoin or travel bug is, without knowing that geocaching.com calls them both "trackable items"--unique to eachother, but closely related non-trade items?

I read the FAQ when I started caching, even though I was educated by a rather knowledgeable cacher. It serves a purpose, and overlooking it in favor of glitzy, unfamiliar (to new cachers) links will serve little purpose to all learning references at geocaching.com's disposal.