Trackable item page layout

wsgaskins

Moved my post to the proper forum thread :blink:

I think that now that you have the coin icons loading on the 'All Geocoins' tab, you should probably throttle the loading speed of the icons. Maybe make the icons only load when 'exposed' through scrolling the list??

It took a good 20 seconds for that page to load for me, and I'm on a high speed backbone connection.

Plus there are a few icons that are not scaled properly. The "GPS Spinning Geocoin" icon is really wide. Maybe it was not a 32x32 .gif file to begin with?

Lookin' good so far.

Sae thing on the map initial location. In IE6 the letter index is not showing. In both IE6 and Firefox nothing happens when clicking on a coin.

I agree on another post ion another thread that throttling the icon loads may be in order. It took a while on a corporate hi-speed line. I'd HATE to see what it does on my brother's dial-up!

Whe the mapping thingy gets worked out, I'd like to see the same sort of thing applied to TB's to see what bugs are in a given area!

Thanks for the hard work!

On my map, Green Jeeps (Travel Bugs) are showing up under the "Geocoins near your home location" map.

(Also note that White Jeeps show up, and I would suspect that Yellow Jeeps as well, if there were any around here...)

(Strange since the link in the Details pane says "Visit Geocoin Detail Page")

Also, the text next to the map heading "(click coin image to view details)" could use a bit more contrast. Maybe something other than really light grey on the white background.

(edited to add detail on the Jeeps on a map thing.)

Edited by wsgaskins

Can the Geocoins Home page get a similar upper right hand corner box like the Travel Bugs page has?

I suggest this text, in addition to the coin image you have for the main /track page.

-------------------------

Geocoin Lookup

Enter the coin tracking number or TB number below

[ ]

Advanced Search

How to activate a Geocoin <- link to http://www.geocaching.com/track/activate.aspx

How to get your own Geocoin <- link to http://signalgeocoinstore.com (or a list of coin vendors?)

-------------------------

Of course that means that the /track/activate.aspx page needs to be updated as well to say 'Travel Bug and Geocoin' activiation.

I think it's a work in progress, and so I'll hold my comments until the site is finished rebuilding.

Where's the fun in that?

I've been capturing screenshots of the 'rebuilding' progress stages.....

:blink:

You, know for posterity -- I can tell my kids, I was there when it happened. :laughing:

Bryan,

Thanks for the trackable page. Looks AWESOME!

Page problem I have encountered:

On the trackable item page, when you click on a link (eg, geocoin home, or travel bug FAQ), that particular frame will shrink ( i don;t thkn this was done intentionally?). You have to click on the link one more time to get to the page you want.

in case you need tech info, I'm on a PC using firefox browser. let me know if you need to know the version.

Thanks again!

d

I think it's a work in progress, and so I'll hold my comments until the site is finished rebuilding.

Where's the fun in that?

:laughing:

You, know for posterity -- I can tell my kids, I was there when it happened. :laughing:

:blink::laughing: You really must not have much to do :laughing::laughing:

These changes are really great..... waiting to post comments for a couple of days to see how it shakes out.

Edited by txoilgas

It looks like it only shows the geocoins near your home location. Would it be possible to scroll around/move the map and bring up geocoins in other locations?

Until they make this an option, a workaround would be to change your home coordinates

http://www.geocaching.com/my/home.aspx

and the go back and refresh the map.

Suggestion: "Add a [see Geocoins for this Area] button to the side of the map"

Details:

Since it seems that the map only wants to draw a certain number of coins around your home coordinates, maybe there could be an additional button on the side that says "see geocoins for this area". That way when you pan the map there wouldn't need to be any automatic updates (server intensive!) to the display, but then once you've settled down to a certain spot and zoomed in to an appropriate amount (maybe a map that is wide enough to show a 20 mile area?) then the 'See Geocoins for this Area' button could become active and it would do a map/icon drawing refresh.

This way you couldn't just pan around willy-nilly and find coins, but you could refresh a map in place and see the coins centered around that new area.

Bryan,

On the trackable item page, when you click on a link (eg, geocoin home, or travel bug FAQ), that particular frame will shrink ( i don;t thkn this was done intentionally?). You have to click on the link one more time to get to the page you want.

in case you need tech info, I'm on a PC using firefox browser. let me know if you need to know the version.

Thanks again!

d

Note that this behavior did not occur originally. Some update to the code since 2:06pm (eastern) caused this shrinking behavior.

-- Scott

Where's the fun in that?

:blink::laughing: You really must not have much to do :laughing::laughing:

These changes are really great..... waiting to post comments for a couple of days to see how it shakes out.

:anicute:

Oh, contraire! I'm having a hard time keeping up with how fast they are adding and changing features here right now. The "All Geocoins" has gone from integrated (slow for everyone) to a separate pop-up window (slow only when you click on that link), they added pics to the front page, then there's my 'real job' which I suppose I'll have to stay up late tonight to actually get it done... :laughing::anicute:

Page upon launch loaded a map of Europe, should it load my area ?? Great improvment though indeed, Glenn

If you don't have home coords set it will load a random city

-Raine

Raine, May I ask how you load home location to the map, THX, Glenn

OPPS cancel that just read above post above yours THX ,, :blink:

Edited by glennk721

Bryan,

Thanks again!

d

Note that this behavior did not occur originally. Some update to the code since 2:06pm (eastern) caused this shrinking behavior.

-- Scott

This shrinking issue seems to be fixed now.

Bryan,

Thanks again!

d

-- Scott

hmmm it's still doing it, at least for me. I have even refreshed a few times to make sure it wasn't "caching"

right now its only doing a search of 10 miles around the center of the map. It will only show one coin per geocache in that location. It will randomly choose a geocoin out of the cache on each visit. I didn't want to get the map overloaded on coin images. As we improve this page I'm sure other featueres that make it nicer (of course) will come into play.

-Raine

right now its only doing a search of 10 miles around the center of the map. It will only show one coin per geocache in that location. It will randomly choose a geocoin out of the cache on each visit. I didn't want to get the map overloaded on coin images. As we improve this page I'm sure other featueres that make it nicer (of course) will come into play.

-Raine

Thanks for the answer. When the map comes up the whole world is shown. How about only the state or the area you are showing for the coins :blink:

Looks good! but can someone explain what has happened to the different options to log a coin?

In some cases I can only see the "discovered it" option when I try to log.

In some cases I can only "grab" and "discover"

and in other cases I have all the options (as usual)

What has changed here? :blink:

Edited by Mighty Moose

I see an answer to this comment above, but it bears repeating from the user's standpoint - the geocoin section says "Here you can . . . activate a new geocoin." But you cannot activate it from within the section. I too found the activation in the TB section. If the same box could be placed in the geocoin section, I think it would be an improvement.

As an aside, I like the emphasis now placed on geocoins as travellers!

I guess I have another coouple of comments. In addition to saying you can activate a geocoin in the geocoin section, it also says that you can log one. I don't see anyplace to log one on the home page or on the page describing logging a geocoin. Either of both could be fixed with the suggestion above.

When the map comes up when I enter the page, it shows coins in caches at an apparently random spot in the world. When I move to any other area, the caches do not appear to refresh. (And, the "home" location is nowhere near my home.) I've tried this before logging in and after I've logged into geocaching.com.

I found an answer to one of my questions in an above link. My home coordinates weren't in geocaching.com. When I put them in, I saw a plethora of coins and jeeps near home. COOL!

Edited by tokencollector

Bryan,

Thanks again!

d

-- Scott

hmmm it's still doing it, at least for me. I have even refreshed a few times to make sure it wasn't "caching"

Ok, I take it back.

It's happening again for me as well. (FireFox 2.0)

It comes and goes. I've tried to reproduce it and I can get the shrink to occur about 10% of the time.

I haven't been able to figure out what is causing it, but there is something that resizes the 3 top boxes after the page loads. They start out one width, and then after the advertizement loads then the geocoins box resizes a bit. On my display, the first box, last line can say "how to create your own." and then a few instants later the last line will be just "your own." with the box gotten a bit wider and the other words moved up to the previous line. I think the common theme is that if the box does not 'autoresize' like this and it stays at the width with 'how to create your own.' shown on the last line, then when I click a link the whole box shrinks way down, and I have to click on the link again to actually take me there.

Maybe there's a bug in this resizing code somewhere?

Just discovered that if I intentionally *STOP* loading the page (click stop button) before the box autoresizes (while the last line for me stil lsays "how to create your own."), then I can *always* reproduce the problem.

Hope that this helps track this down.

-- Scott