1st NGS Submission

kohldad

I've recently started working on benchmarks, mainly concentrating on those that haven't been reported in over 10 years. Before I submit the recoveries, would like to have them reviewed by those that are more experienced. Have already logged them in on gc.com but still need to upload the pics I took on the way to work this morning.

Since the coordinates for the first two benchmarks were scaled, I included my coordinates. These coordinates were averaged over a minimum of 50 samplings, but where possible waited until the estimate accuracy was under 12'.

The last entry is a not recovered I plan on submitting. Will not usually report non-recoveries except where I'm 99+% sure that the old mark was destroyed.

Edited to clarify CJ0539 description.

CJ0536 (10 341)

RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION. HH2 GPS COORDINATES N32 53 32.3 W079 59 06.9

CJ0537 (10 342)

RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION. HH2 GPS COORDINATES N32 54 10.9 W079 59 10.3

CJ0539 (8 158)

NOT RECOVERED. OLD BRIDGE DESTROYED DURING CONSTRUCTION OF NEW BRIDGE IN 1998 DURING WIDENING OF NORTH RHETT AVENUE FROM 2 TO 5 LANES.

Edited by kohldad

Looks reasonable to me. These reports are much briefer than most that I submit, but the circumstances of these particular (relatively recent) marks may justify that.

If the old to-reach is still good, no additional comments are necessary. For many older marks, the to-reach needs a major rewrite to bring it up to date. Your explanation of the bridge replacement is sufficient, assuming that the street didn't get re-routed leaving a remnant of the old bridge nearby--I've seen that. Sometimes you need more description of how hard you searched for a mark that you couldn't find, and more subtle clues to why it might be gone.

On the NGS submission page, you will check a box for GOOD / POOR / NOT FOUND so those words are redundant.

Thanks for the reviews and comments.

Descriptions on location were enough to find the benchmarks so no updates on the recoveries were needed. I do have a few on my "to-do" list that will definitely need to be updated though since they haven't been recovered in 20+ years. Since I have lived here for over 40 years, I have an advantage on these old descriptions that reference things missing for 20 years.

I Added verbage to CJ0539 description to clarify the old bridge was destroyed during construction.

On the NGS submission page, you will check a box for GOOD / POOR / NOT FOUND so those words are redundant.

While that is true it is my experience if you put any text in the text box the GOOD / POOR / NOT FOUND is deleted. For example when I submitted TU1416 my intention was to report it as good with the additional information about the name change of the street. However what came out was “STATION RECOVERY (2003) TU1416 RECOVERY NOTE BY GEOCACHING 2003 (GFH) AVENUE D HAS BEEN RENAMED PAUL HAMILTON AVENUE.” And the words “RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION” was not put into the text. It leaves the impression that I was only submitting the information on the name change and was not making any report on the condition of the mark.

Then there is TU0448. I’m not sure what happened there. All that came out was “STATION RECOVERY (2003) TU0448 RECOVERY NOTE BY GEOCACHING 2003 (GFH).” Notice there is no recovery condition.

As a result the reports did not come out as nice as I would have liked. So my future reports will contain everything including the condition.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I've never had text removed from my logs. Don't know what happened with your second one with just the blank lines. This would indicate that you had carriage returns in the text box.

And no, you don't need put "Found in Good Condition" because above the text description, the history shows it was found in condition = good.

I've never had text removed from my logs. Don't know what happened with your second one with just the blank lines. This would indicate that you had carriage returns in the text box.

And no, you don't need put "Found in Good Condition" because above the text description, the history shows it was found in condition = good.

Your right it is up above all the descriptions in the history section.