CQ CQ all Radio Amateurs

dogastus

Amateur radio has been mentioned before but I think it would be interesting to see who's licensed and what bands they are currently active on.

Also, assuming there isn't one already, how about establishing a Geocaching calling frequency? Wouldn't it be great to be searching for a cache and be able to put out a call for a hint?

Round here in Newbury, there are quite a few amateurs, but the local repeaters remain very quiet. To me, that is a shame and a wasted resource. People have put in a lot of time and effort getting these repeaters up and running, so why not put them to good (Geocaching) use.

So what I would like is for people to respond with the following:

Callsign

Approximate location

Which bands/modes you are currently active on

Which repeaters you can access

Whether you think a Geocaching calling frequency is a good idea, if so what frequency?

I'm G8AYC in Newbury, Berks and currently on 2m and 70cm FM.

I can access GB3NE (2m), GB3RD (2m),GB3WH (2m), GB3SN (2m), GB3AW (70cm), GB3FN (70cm)

Lets hear from you!

73 de Nigel.

Hi Nigel,

CQ CQ de G4UXG in Wokingham :laughing:

Regret not active ATM. It's a hobby I miss awfully and am looking forward to being operational again in my retirement (or before maybe?)...

Sounds like a good idea anyway; I am sure there are more than a few closet ham/cachers around this area :unsure:

Jon

Hi,

at the moment I am not too active being away at university, though I do occassionally manage operate 2m mobile.

My home QTH is in Weston-super-Mare so I am able to access GB3WE and apparently GB3WB is now back on the air. Hopefully I will be able to set up an HF antenna when I am back for the holidays, so should be able to work more bands soon. :laughing:

73s

Chloe 2E1IDT

Bren is G4DYO. He was extremely active, mainly HF DX but also 2m FM, from 1975 until about 10 years ago when he went QRT. There was a brief revival of interest following a Pacific holiday in 2003 but now the gear lies mainly idle; just occasional forays on to HF during the big contests. We often have a 2m mobile rig in the car but it hasn't been used for years as 2m is dead, like D-E-A-D, compared to 10-15 years ago when you couldn't find a spare channel. At home there is an FT1000MP Field, IC-251, Kenwood TM231E fed with a discone at 45 ft, inverted Vees for 17 and 20m and an inverted L for 40/80 and G4DYO could be QRV within seconds on HF and 2m (FM or SSB). Also have a Pye Cambridge on 4m but need to put up an antenna for that. We have several handhelds and could carry one with us, but would it be worthwhile for one Q per year? As to frequencies... rarely hear any activity and I'm out of touch with the band plan.

We live in Finchampstead and have done many caches around Newbury where our friends d&c and el spocko & the fij are locals (none are hams tho').

If you want a sked on 2m, Nigel, just holler..

QRZ De 2E0 SUD

Only /m to and from work and whilst caching as the HF antenna is down at home in the winds, Might get around to restringing it some time". I only operate 2M at the mo as i have has the misfortune of the 2 /70 antenna braking during a returning from shefiled whilst working. Unfortantley GB3MP thati normaly use is ill at the mo so normaly hiding on S20 or GB3MN is in range

73's

Adrian

Thanks for all the responses so far. I decided to put the message here rather than in the dedicated Amateur Radio forum because I thought more people would notice it here. Also the dedicated forum tends to be very USA-centric.

Well, as a starting point I will try putting out a call on GB3NE (145.7625 MHz) in Newbury at 22:00 on Thursday 16th. You could call this my local repeater as it's only a third of a mile from me!

73 Nigel (G8AYC)

2E0HKY from Holmfirth, West Yorkshire reporting in. Not very active at the moment, but usually operate on 2m/70cms. Can also access 6m and 10m FM. My local repeater would be GB3HD (70cms) but can access a number more from my home QTH. Would like to go for the Advanced licence soon as it fits in very nicely with my uni studies (Electronic Engineering) so there isn't much more to learn for it.

QRZ De 2E0 SUD

Only /m to and from work and whilst caching as the HF antenna is down at home in the winds, Might get around to restringing it some time". I only operate 2M at the mo as i have has the misfortune of the 2 /70 antenna braking during a returning from shefiled whilst working. Unfortantley GB3MP thati normaly use is ill at the mo so normaly hiding on S20 or GB3MN is in range

73's

Adrian

Also My wife is licenced with call sign 2E0WOZ and we use a h/t at time while caching when the terrain is not sutable for her with being calssed as a white stick operator.

As a side subject has anyone had problems with the aerials on the car whilst caching i am forever hitting trees with the top of mine and having to leap out of the vechel whilst out caching to collapes the antenna if we are in a convy and find a height restrictor on a carpark. Well serves me right for having a 2x 5/8 on the car for 2M.

73's

Adrian.

has anyone had problems with the aerials on the car whilst caching i am forever hitting trees with the top of mine and having to leap out of the vechel whilst out caching to collapes the antenna if we are in a convy and find a height restrictor on a carpark. Well serves me right for having a 2x 5/8 on the car for 2M.

Get yourself a Motorised folding antenna mount!

I have this problem as my Discovery is nearly 2m high before I even start with antennae, you can get these for £60 from Waters & Stanton... I will be ording mine shortly!

James

Edited by Team 'James W'

<<as a starting point I will try putting out a call on GB3NE (145.7625 MHz) in Newbury at 22:00 on Thursday 16th>>

I hope to be there Nigel. Just accessed NE with 5 watts after figuring out how to get the TB working - it must be 20 years since I last accessed a repeater. I did an elevation profile on MM between us and I think we could work simplex... try it later if I hear you on the input. CUL

Bren

My great uncle (Claude Pettifer) used to be G2DPQ. Its the only sign I can remember from my mis-spent youth when I used to stay with some radio hams in Woburn Sands (the Baldock family - Paul). We would go to meets on Toplers Hill near Langford amongst other places. I was about 11 years old and found it fascinating. Nice to see some activity on here.. great way to combine the two hobbies. :huh:

Well, we had some Geocachers on GB3NE last night.

These were:

Dick (Daisy&me) M3POQ

Bren (Birders) G4DYO

Andy (Subarite) G8MIA

Nigel (dogastus) G8AYC

A few local stations joined in (G4RUW, 2E0BJM and G3OUC) who wondered what Geocaching was all about, but they didn't stay long after that when they found out!

We are hoping to have another Geocaching QSO at 22:00 tonight, this time on GB3SN.

73 Nigel.

QUOTE(Mr.Dewdrop @ Nov 16 2006, 11:08 AM) *

What a lot of closet hams we have.. does Amateur radio and Geocaching attract us geeky types?

:lol:

Geocaching and Amateur Radio geeky? Surely not r :huh: .

Exactly- Don't know what you mean :huh:

Edited by kettie

We are hoping to have another Geocaching QSO at 22:00 tonight, this time on GB3SN.

73 Nigel.

It's a pity that on a normal weeknight 22.00 is too late as we're already in bed by then (early starts for us in the mornings) and tonight we're out. :(

Well, I'm sure other times can be arranged. 10 pm is good for me because it gives me time to get all my other tasks done. Make a suggestion and I'm sure you'd persuade people to come on. Which repeaters can you access?

73 Nigel.

Last Friday's QSO on GB3SN was another good Geocaching chat with:

Dick (Daisy&me) M3POQ

Bren (Birders) G4DYO

Andy (Subarite) G8MIA

Nigel (dogastus) G8AYC

My next suggestion is next Thursday (23rd) at 22:00 on the Reading repeater GB3RD (145.675 MHz).

Hope to see you there.

73, Nigel.

has anyone had problems with the aerials on the car whilst caching i am forever hitting trees with the top of mine and having to leap out of the vechel whilst out caching to collapes the antenna if we are in a convy and find a height restrictor on a carpark. Well serves me right for having a 2x 5/8 on the car for 2M.

Get yourself a Motorised folding antenna mount!

I have this problem as my Discovery is nearly 2m high before I even start with antennae, you can get these for £60 from Waters & Stanton... I will be ording mine shortly!

James

Nice idear but reading the spects its not upto the jub for the 2x 2/8 i use if i rember correctlet its a NR-22 by Dimond. would be good if it could cope.

Adrian

Forget all the super- 120" double co-linears and other money-spinning stuff. Get yourself the cheapest magmount with an SO239 socket.... cut a 1/4 wave from an old coat-hanger and solder that into a PL259 pluf. You now have a pretty efficient antenna which won't fall off in any wind, which can be removed very easily and which has cost you very little to make. I've used all sorts of clever 2m antennas on cars since the 1970s and always reverted to the one described.. Of course, I accept that if you want to sit on a hill and work DX then put up the best you can afford, but for simple driving around and accessing repeaters the 1/4 wave coat-hangar takes some beating.

Bren G4DYO

Forget all the super- 120" double co-linears and other money-spinning stuff. Get yourself the cheapest magmount with an SO239 socket.... cut a 1/4 wave from an old coat-hanger and solder that into a PL259 pluf. You now have a pretty efficient antenna which won't fall off in any wind, which can be removed very easily and which has cost you very little to make. I've used all sorts of clever 2m antennas on cars since the 1970s and always reverted to the one described.. Of course, I accept that if you want to sit on a hill and work DX then put up the best you can afford, but for simple driving around and accessing repeaters the 1/4 wave coat-hangar takes some beating.

Bren G4DYO

True the Simple 1/4 wave does normaly work very well for driving around i unfortantley have several blackspots in my normal work travleing that has needed the gain of the larger antenna. One good thing about the 1/4 wave antennas is that they seem to be more resitant to fluter whilst mobile.

I have to replace the dule band antenna as that brok som mike have a look at some home brew designes for 2/70.

As an extention to the subect we could see what equipment other geocaching amateurs use.

As an extention to the subect we could see what equipment other geocaching amateurs use.

I run a Yaesu 24ch FTL2011 (factory fit) in my Camel Discovery, with a 5/8 antenna mounted on the roof rack. It does knock about on trees and low flying planes but apart from having to straighten it out once, never had a problem with it.

Jon

Team FuzzyBears comprise of Dave M1TWO and Sue G6DDS (as well as 300+ bears - unlicensed). We use VX5s mobile while geocacheing also run an FT857 for home/mobile with a minimag for 2M/70cm and a set of 8 foot whips with a tri-mag for HF. Great exercise trying to remove it from the car at the end of the day!!!

Sue, Dave and the FuzzyBears

My hubby is G3OBI and my son is M3ORK but they haven't been active this year. When we were out in the mountains in the Lakes as a family they often put out a call on their handhelds and contacted people mainly through the Appleby repeater or by line of sight. It's just a case of fitting in all the hobbies and other things have taken over now. I passed the foundation exam a few years ago but never got round to getting a call sign and I've forgotten everything I learned now!

Just to let you know, I'm going to start monitoring SU20 (433.5 MHz) on 70cms whenever I am in the shack. So if you happen to be withing range of Newbury, try giving a call.

Also Dick M3POQ (Daisy&Me) and I are going to have a regular sched on that frequency every Thursday at 22:00, so feel free to join in then.

OK Nigel. Good luck with that. I won't be able to join you - I was going to buy a new 2m/70cm rig but spent the lolly (much more, in fact) on a thing called a "Virtual Radar". It decodes transmissions from aircraft and plots their positions on a "radar screen" on the PC. It's quite fun!!

OK Nigel. Good luck with that. I won't be able to join you - I was going to buy a new 2m/70cm rig but spent the lolly (much more, in fact) on a thing called a "Virtual Radar". It decodes transmissions from aircraft and plots their positions on a "radar screen" on the PC. It's quite fun!!

Does that actually work Bren? From my limited experience of ACARs only a few aircraft actually broadcast their position.

Hey, sorry Bren, didn't mean to exclude you. I'm just trying different frequencies to see who can do what. One possibility is if we found a repeater which had Echolink access (as mentioned by Mr Dewdrop), people out of RF range could take part too.