Cool or Crazy?

nfa

Ben and I were down south the other day, caching in the Long Lake/Newcomb area...not our best day...1 for 3...but it was a fun day anyway.

25d53ee5-6cc3-4b66-bcf1-46c2914ee801.jpg

While out in the Tahawus area, before taking a walk out into the high peaks area, we explored the ghost town left by the end of the mining operation for a while. Most of the old buildings are pretty far gone, grown back into the forest to some extent. It was really cool, and there's one more we want to visit when the weather gets warmer...it's across the river, but looks amazingly intact.

c53b2d58-d00c-4d93-8fc4-8ede07af19f4.jpg

[urlWhile in the woods looking at one of the more remote "haunted houses", I stepped on something under the leaves...it turned out to be the lid to an underground tank still holding some liquid...it tastes more like rainwater and dirt than sewage :laughing:

ccd2ca0b-14b2-419e-b6ef-d4732503120f.jpg

To be clear about the location...this tank opening is about 150 yards back from the trail, and 30-40 yards from the nearest ghost-house...

topozone map of the approximate location of the hidden tank

I had 2 thoughts at almost the same instant:

1) I should report it to somebody to avoid somebody falling in and/or getting trapped...

2) I should replace the lid after hiding a cache inside the tank...

I'm leaning more towards option #1, but would love your input...

Jamie - NFA

Edited by NFA

Looks like my kindof place.

How big is the tank? Can you get in/out of it safely (is there a ladder or something)? I'd be tempted to tie the cache onto a rope so it can be retrieved without entering the tank. Then of course replace the lid to prevent people from falling in. In order to retrieve the cache, they'd have to find the lid, remove the lid, and pull the cache up.

let me respond in order:

I didn't really taste it...

nobody lives there...my son thought it was haunted...maybe it is...

I would probably spend some time phone-tagging my way around the DEC trying to find someone to help me, and then it owuld not be fixed because it is not a priority...

I like the rope on a string idea...

I didn't taste it...

I like the idea of hiding a cache in the tank via a rope hung down into the glop, and then covering it with leaf litter...

Hopefully nobody will be going in...this tank has been in the woods since the beginning of time, and I saw no bones littering the bottom, so I may have been the first person to notice it in a long time...with the lid on, it's invisible...

Jamie - NFA

NFA, I also have explored those old buildings being a 46er and all I been up there quite a bit. I would say a tank that size up on the hill there is VERY wierd. Its not like they needed a water source. Maybe chemical storage? They did use a lot of chemicals there when mining. I do have to say there are no other tanks located like that one anywhere around those buildings.

FYI the town existed in the late 1800-early 1900s as a mining/logging area for metals like iron and titanium. Some of the titanium was used for paints on battleships. Once WWII was over there was no need for the mining there. some strip mining still goes on there but it is very very small.

One fact remains...you don't know what was stored in there. Maybe it was something harmless, maybe it was not. You could pull a sample and have it analyzed, but that would cost $$. I would feel uncomfortable hiding anything in there unless I knew for sure that it was safe.

Weren't you reading? He said it tasted OK.

NFA, I also have explored those old buildings being a 46er and all I been up there quite a bit. I would say a tank that size up on the hill there is VERY wierd. Its not like they needed a water source. Maybe chemical storage? They did use a lot of chemicals there when mining. I do have to say there are no other tanks located like that one anywhere around those buildings.

FYI the town existed in the late 1800-early 1900s as a mining/logging area for metals like iron and titanium. Some of the titanium was used for paints on battleships. Once WWII was over there was no need for the mining there. some strip mining still goes on there but it is very very small.

Yeah, all you need is some cacher using his lighter to see better into the tank.