Explorist 500 or Garmin 60CSx?

I should add that other than this one problem with our current explorist, we love it! we've had it now for 2 years though and I guess it's time to move on. I really like the set up of the explorist but did a bit of 'research' and saw that the 60 CSx was rated really high on Consumer Reports. Just wondering if there's anywhere where I can compare the two...

Thanks again...

I should add that other than this one problem with our current explorist, we love it! we've had it now for 2 years though and I guess it's time to move on. I really like the set up of the explorist but did a bit of 'research' and saw that the 60 CSx was rated really high on Consumer Reports. Just wondering if there's anywhere where I can compare the two...

Thanks again...

gpscentral.ca its canadian but you can get a comparison of the two.

$199?? I will have to keep my eyes open. Have seen the 500 on sale for $229 here which is still much lower than the CSx.

I guess what we wanted to know, is if the CSx was all that much better to warrant spending the extra couple hundred bucks. We use our GPS a lot: I use it at work, it is used for other recreation, and for geocaching. We liked the electronic compass feature of the CSx, but that alone is not enough for me to go out and spend the extra $$.

If you like the electronic compass of the 60CSx, you should be interested to know that the Explorist 600 has an even better one: having three axes instead of two, it will still work when held at an angle.

As hogrod already pointed out, you should compare the Explorist 500 with the 60cx (no compass or barometric altimeter), or the 600 with the 60csx (both with compass and barometric altimeter).

If you're used to an Explorist 200, using a 500 or 600 will be easy. Changing to Garmin will mean changing some habits. Best go to a shop and try out a Garmin to see if you like the way it works.

And have a look at Robert Lipe's comparison: http://www.mtgc.org/robertlipe/showdown/

The good news is, the Explorist 500 can now be found on sale for $199 (C$).

The bad news is that they won't last long. This model is now discontinued. The last time I checked you could still get it for $199 at londondrugs.ca

Magellan removed most of the references to the 500 from their site today.

Still some available cheap on ebay.