Geocaching with Mobile Phone (Geocache Navigator)

Jeremy

Do you know of any timeline for Alltel getting with it? I may have to change carriers to experience this product. I would rather not but o'well.

At this moment we do not have any timeline for Alltel. Wireless carriers that use the BREW platform tend to have complex relationships and getting applications on their phones is a little bit harder.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I have a Blackberry 8830 on the US Cellular data plan, and I installed Geocache Navigator on it about 3 weeks ago. It seemed to work really good right off the bat, but now it is having serious issues getting a satellite signal. I am pretty sure it isn't my BB because I can use the Blackberry Maps application and that always seems to get a signal. As a matter of fact, the Maps application gets a signal in about 30 seconds every time. If I close it, and open GN in the exact same location (very clear sky area) it will sit for 5 minutes and not get even a weak signal at all.

I tried un-installing and re-installing the software on my BB. For the first 3 minutes it worked great again, then the GPS signal went totally dead again. I have sent an email to Trimble Support about my problem.

My manager at work has the same BB on the same network, and has been having the same issue, starting at the same time, I just can't seem to get any help.

Over a week ago I emailed support@GeocacheNavigator.com and didn't get a response. I did get a response from a tech at Handmark, where I bought my service. He has been trying to get someone from Trimble to help us since Tuesday. I just sent an email to support@trimbleoutdoors.com and hopefully I get some help there. I guess if I don't here from them soon, I will have to call Trimble. My one month of service runs out on Feb. 18th. I almost paid for a full year, but as of right now I am glad I didn't.

When it was working, I really liked it. It was pretty good for spontaneous caching.

I got a reply from Rebecca at Trimble today, and we spoke on the phone. They believe the issue may lie in a change that my service provider has made. I feel better now, and Rebecca was great to work with! I hope they get it worked out soon, because it is a nice piece of software.

Thank you schnider!

We really do want to hear from our users. We have received input from several users unable to operate Geocache Navigator software through US Cellular. We are currently troubleshooting the issues we have received; please provide us with your experience thus far using our software with US Cellular and any other carrier for that matter :laughing: We recently added new forums to the www.geocachenavigator.com website for our users to voice their opinions. Geocaching.com will remain a valuable resource for our users and we value their comments and opinions.

Rebecca (Trimble Outdoors)

Thank you Trimble and Groundspeak for this Geocache navigator for Nokia s60 3rd phones! I haven't really tried it in real action but what I have tested and played with it with my Nokia 5500 and BT GPS, this looks great and easy enough to use.

I have encounter so far only one problem. I couldn't change the How far away setting. It just stays on 3.5 km or 2.17 mile.

Thank you Trimble and Groundspeak for this Geocache navigator for Nokia s60 3rd phones! I haven't really tried it in real action but what I have tested and played with it with my Nokia 5500 and BT GPS, this looks great and easy enough to use.

I have encounter so far only one problem. I couldn't change the How far away setting. It just stays on 3.5 km or 2.17 mile.

On the "Search Filters" screen scroll down to "How Far Away", press the select button (the key in the middle of the directional arrows). When you do this it will bring you to a screen that allows you to change the distance. When done, click OK.

You may also notice something interesting. Under "Settings" there is a new option, "Find Filtering." If you select this option you can have the cache listings either show or hide caches that you have already found. For all of you that have requested this option, it is now in the free version but will be ported back into the other code bases and released. As you may recall I have said that getting things onto the carrier deck takes time. When this occurs I will post accordingly.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

On the "Search Filters" screen scroll down to "How Far Away", press the select button (the key in the middle of the directional arrows). When you do this it will bring you to a screen that allows you to change the distance. When done, click OK.

You may also notice something interesting. Under "Settings" there is a new option, "Find Filtering." If you select this option you can have the cache listings either show or hide caches that you have already found. For all of you that have requested this option, it is now in the free version but will be ported back into the other code bases and released. As you may recall I have said that getting things onto the carrier deck takes time. When this occurs I will post accordingly.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Thank you for fast reply.

Nothing happens when I press Ok button. It is somehow locked. Only back button worked and 3.5 km stays whatever other numbers I tried. That was my problem and I know I wasn't the only one having this problem. I have Nokia 5500 sport and other had n95.

Well this is totally new software to me so everything is new. But I liked this feature that hides caches you owned or have already found. It is great that now many europeans have now possibility to use this kind of software.

Is there going to be something that shows all additional waypoints..like multicaches?

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Nothing happens when I press Ok button. It is somehow locked. Only back button worked and 3.5 km stays whatever other numbers I tried. That was my problem and I know I wasn't the only one having this problem. I have Nokia 5500 sport and other had n95.

Well this is totally new software to me so everything is new. But I liked this feature that hides caches you owned or have already found. It is great that now many europeans have now possibility to use this kind of software.

Is there going to be something that shows all additional waypoints..like multicaches?

My apologies, you are correct. I didn't check my version and realized I had a pre-production version on my N95. I will get a bug report in for this.

Regarding any changes you would like to see, I would encourage you or anyone else to visit the www.geocachenavigator.com web site and describe your request in the forums.

Thanks,

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Edited by tempestaz

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Can you clarify? Does this mean that ONLY the free version has this functionality right now?

I haven't "boosted" my phone in a while due to this feature so I can't test it myself and I want to be sure this is ready before I reactivate it.

Thanks.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Can you clarify? Does this mean that ONLY the free version has this functionality right now?

I haven't "boosted" my phone in a while due to this feature so I can't test it myself and I want to be sure this is ready before I reactivate it.

Thanks.

The free version is the only version that currently has this feature.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I got a reply from Rebecca at Trimble today, and we spoke on the phone. They believe the issue may lie in a change that my service provider has made. I feel better now, and Rebecca was great to work with! I hope they get it worked out soon, because it is a nice piece of software.

Thank you schnider!

We really do want to hear from our users. We have received input from several users unable to operate Geocache Navigator software through US Cellular. We are currently troubleshooting the issues we have received; please provide us with your experience thus far using our software with US Cellular and any other carrier for that matter :anibad: We recently added new forums to the www.geocachenavigator.com website for our users to voice their opinions. Geocaching.com will remain a valuable resource for our users and we value their comments and opinions.

Thank you to the people at Geocache Navigator for working on these issues to make their software better.

I have just registered at the new forums at www.geocachenavigator.com, but I feel really dumb. For the life of me, I can't find an "add reply" button anywhere.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Thanks.

Yahoo on filtering finds!!!! :anibad: Now if we can just figure out this whole US Cellular issue. My manager said he got an email today from someone at GN asking for what version of software he was using on our Blackberrys. I assume then that someone is trying to work out the bugs.

Edited by schnider

Thank you schnider!

We really do want to hear from our users. We have received input from several users unable to operate Geocache Navigator software through US Cellular. We are currently troubleshooting the issues we have received; please provide us with your experience thus far using our software with US Cellular and any other carrier for that matter :anibad: We recently added new forums to the www.geocachenavigator.com website for our users to voice their opinions. Geocaching.com will remain a valuable resource for our users and we value their comments and opinions.

Thank you to the people at Geocache Navigator for working on these issues to make their software better.

I have just registered at the new forums at www.geocachenavigator.com, but I feel really dumb. For the life of me, I can't find an "add reply" button anywhere.

I guess there is some issues at forum settings that prevents other than admins of the forum to write anything. I have registered also and couldn't find any new post or reply buttons. Hope this gets fixed as people at trimble outdoor wants us to write in their forum.

Thank you schnider!

We really do want to hear from our users. We have received input from several users unable to operate Geocache Navigator software through US Cellular. We are currently troubleshooting the issues we have received; please provide us with your experience thus far using our software with US Cellular and any other carrier for that matter :lol: We recently added new forums to the www.geocachenavigator.com website for our users to voice their opinions. Geocaching.com will remain a valuable resource for our users and we value their comments and opinions.

I guess there is some issues at forum settings that prevents other than admins of the forum to write anything. I have registered also and couldn't find any new post or reply buttons. Hope this gets fixed as people at trimble outdoor wants us to write in their forum.

You should now be able to post in the forums. Thanks for the feedback.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

My apologies, you are correct. I didn't check my version and realized I had a pre-production version on my N95. I will get a bug report in for this.

Regarding any changes you would like to see, I would encourage you or anyone else to visit the www.geocachenavigator.com web site and describe your request in the forums.

Thanks,

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

FYI,

We have updated the Nokia version of Geocache Navigator to resolve the issue with the search radius not being able to be changed. You can download the update directly from your Nokia phone at m.getgn.com.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Hi all,

I've recently been researching phones (with GPS) for Geocaching, and was hoping there'd be some great software around. I'm considering getting a N95 8G and it was great to see that there's a free version of Geocache Navigator for the Nokia phones!

Just a few questions about the software:

1. Will this work fine in Australia? I know US network support is required for the pay-for versions of Geocache Navigator.

2. Can the software use any internet connection? (Wifi, 3G-data or 2G-data) After all, if I *am* near a Wi-fi network, using that will be cheaper than 2G/3G data.

3. Is it possible to pre-download some cache info/cluesheets (via Wifi)?

I mean, If I know the area I'm going to head towards, can I 'cache' (pun intended) the cluesheets for nearby caches to save on in-the-field (2G/3G) data downloading?

Data charges here in Australia are very expensive - so the less that's done over 'the air' the better.

4. The ad-support for the free version - text or graphic? How much data would the ads chew up? Hopefully not much :laughing: I don't mind having ads in free software, but on a mobile, data bandwidth is a big concern :laughing:

5. I have read elsewhere in these forums that marking caches as 'found' (and then filtering them out) isn't possible with Geocache Navigator. Is this something on the 'future enhancments' list?

Sorry for pounding out the questions, but Geocache Navigator does sound too good to be true :D I'd just hate to start using it only to find my data charges soaring through the roof rather quickly...

FYI,

We have updated the Nokia version of Geocache Navigator to resolve the issue with the search radius not being able to be changed. You can download the update directly from your Nokia phone at m.getgn.com.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Have you changed this new version when using download and sync from your PC ? I got still old version there. I just downloaded it and version was v. 2.0.1.

Edited by small oaks

Hi all,

I've recently been researching phones (with GPS) for Geocaching, and was hoping there'd be some great software around. I'm considering getting a N95 8G and it was great to see that there's a free version of Geocache Navigator for the Nokia phones!

Just a few questions about the software:

1. Will this work fine in Australia? I know US network support is required for the pay-for versions of Geocache Navigator.

2. Can the software use any internet connection? (Wifi, 3G-data or 2G-data) After all, if I *am* near a Wi-fi network, using that will be cheaper than 2G/3G data.

3. Is it possible to pre-download some cache info/cluesheets (via Wifi)?

I mean, If I know the area I'm going to head towards, can I 'cache' (pun intended) the cluesheets for nearby caches to save on in-the-field (2G/3G) data downloading?

Data charges here in Australia are very expensive - so the less that's done over 'the air' the better.

4. The ad-support for the free version - text or graphic? How much data would the ads chew up? Hopefully not much :lol: I don't mind having ads in free software, but on a mobile, data bandwidth is a big concern :D

5. I have read elsewhere in these forums that marking caches as 'found' (and then filtering them out) isn't possible with Geocache Navigator. Is this something on the 'future enhancments' list?

Sorry for pounding out the questions, but Geocache Navigator does sound too good to be true :D I'd just hate to start using it only to find my data charges soaring through the roof rather quickly...

Let me try to address each of your questions.

1) On Nokia phones, the free version will work anywhere. The only limitations will be in map data availability.

2) Yes, the software can use any connection available, however be careful as I will caveat this in the next item

3) The data transfer amount is relatively low (especially if you don't do maps). There is no means to store off caches and then go out in the field. Data usage will occur when you get a cache listing, when the cache is loaded, when you review logs, when you request a map, and when you log a find. We have floated the idea of an offline mode of operation but at this time it is not on the radar.

4) The ad version will only add a few items to your cache listing. If you look at an ad, it would be the same as looking at any other cache as far as data traffic goes.

5) This new version supports filtering your finds. As I mentioned in an earlier post, this version enabled us to rapidly add a feature. Over time we will make every attempt to back-port this to existing devices. Our challenge is the carriers in the US and the time it takes to get things through the process.

Please keep your questions coming. I hope that the above has added clarity.

Thanks,

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I have Nokia E51 and GN ver. 2.0.3. but still it's not able to change search radius. Anyway it is really nice software, indeed!

Search radius can only be changed when you do a find vs. a quick cache. If you could let me know what happens when you try to change the search radius, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

FYI,

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Have you changed this new version when using download and sync from your PC ? I got still old version there. I just downloaded it and version was v. 2.0.1.

I just verified that version 2.0.3 is currently on the m.getgn.com web site. You may want to try your download again and make sure that you tell it to overwrite the current application.

Please let us know if your experience is different.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

FYI,

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I just verified that version 2.0.3 is currently on the m.getgn.com web site. You may want to try your download again and make sure that you tell it to overwrite the current application.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

hi. i cant use m.getgn.com site because site says my nokia is not supported. So I have used that 3rd option and got software downloaded in a zip file. after unzipping the files and installed software to phone (nokia 5500 sport s60 3rd phone) . It says v2.0.1 every time. So are files in m.getgn.com and in downloaded zip file using that 3rd given option at geocachenavigator.com site still different? Can you check that?

FYI,

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

hi. i cant use m.getgn.com site because site says my nokia is not supported. So I have used that 3rd option and got software downloaded in a zip file. after unzipping the files and installed software to phone (nokia 5500 sport s60 3rd phone) . It says v2.0.1 every time. So are files in m.getgn.com and in downloaded zip file using that 3rd given option at geocachenavigator.com site still different? Can you check that?

You are correct, there is one place that we didn't change. That will get corrected soon. For now you can use this link: http://www.mobango.com/media_details/app-p...#33;BCf19syh8w=

Thanks

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I have Nokia E51 and GN ver. 2.0.3. but still it's not able to change search radius. Anyway it is really nice software, indeed!

Search radius can only be changed when you do a find vs. a quick cache. If you could let me know what happens when you try to change the search radius, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Nothing happens. I can't write any numbers, just go backwards in menu and search caches which are closer than 3,5 km.

You are correct, there is one place that we didn't change. That will get corrected soon. For now you can use this link: http://www.mobango.com/media_details/app-p...#33;BCf19syh8w=

Thanks

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Ok, I'll wait for the corrected zip file at geocachenavigator.com. Can you tell us when it's available to download there.

The corrected file is posted on http://www.geocachenavigator.com/. Just lick on the the Free Version image on the right side of the page.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

This may be a dumb question, but i couldn't find an answer elswhere in this forum. My contract with verizon is done next month and i would like a phone that doubles as a GPS as well. Are these "GPS phones" truely GPS? My adventures usually take me to places where cell tower signal is sketchy or non-existent. Are they relying on cell towers to triangulate position? or are they truely GPS capable by gathering location info via satelite? All I'm really looking for is a phone that will spit out my GPS coordinates even if i am out of range from any cellular service.

This may be a dumb question, but i couldn't find an answer elswhere in this forum. My contract with verizon is done next month and i would like a phone that doubles as a GPS as well. Are these "GPS phones" truely GPS? My adventures usually take me to places where cell tower signal is sketchy or non-existent. Are they relying on cell towers to triangulate position? or are they truely GPS capable by gathering location info via satelite? All I'm really looking for is a phone that will spit out my GPS coordinates even if i am out of range from any cellular service.

Most cell phones get an assist to start the GPS and will be relatively autonomous thereafter. However if you pop out of coverage you may loose your GPS too. Phones such as the Nokia N95 and some Blackberry's have true autonomous GPS. In general, GSM carriers are the only providers at this point with cell phones that are true autonomous devices.

As a quick FYI, if you want to use Geocache Navigator on one of these devices, you will still need a data connection. At this time there is no roadmap to having a fully out of network capable application.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

How's the reception on the N95? Does it have WAAS or a SiRf chip?

The N95 uses a Texas Instruments chipset that is similar to that of a SiRf chipset. It supports stand-alone GPS and A-GPS, no WAAS. My subjective experience is that the chipset is good. Compared to a SiRf III chipset it is not as good but I would say position accuracy is nearly equivalent. The only downside is in pure autonomous mode the acquisition times can be high (cold start at least 2 minutes). If you use the both autonomous and A-GPS you will generally get a more rapid initial fix but this requires you to be in network and make a data call. Nokia has the antenna under the numeric entry pad so positioning of the phone is a factor. If you asked me if it was good enough for anything I do, the answer would be yes. The qualifier here is can I walk up to a cache that is marked accurately withing 6-9 feet reliably. The answer would be absolutely.

Larry (Trimble OUtdoors)

Hi there,

I downloaded (via PC) and installed GN 2.0.3 on my Nokia N73 and it seems to work fine, except for the well-known problem of the radius "fixed" to 3.5 km. I read you solved the problem for N95 & other phones with this last release, so I really wondered when I saw that on N73 the problem is still alive.

Marco

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Thanks.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

When will the rest of us get this feature?

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Thanks.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Trimble is in the process of updating the phone software for other versions. As we submit to the carriers for certification, we will announce the availability of this feature and any new models available.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Hey all, I know some of you are concerned about data plans, minute usages, etc. I JUST started using Trimble on my nextel and love it! I am also a SprintNextel employee, so I get to play around with some of the cooler apps quite a bit. I know that alot of carriers recently announced their $99/month plans. If you are thinking of changing your cell carrier, due to contract being up, etc, you may want to look into SprintNextel's plan, as it INCLUDES unlimited EVERYTHING; data, text, minutes, etc. With this app using minutes and/or data, and if you are thinking of changing carriers, AND you use this app a lot, its something worth considering.

Hey all, I know some of you are concerned about data plans, minute usages, etc. I JUST started using Trimble on my nextel and love it! I am also a SprintNextel employee, so I get to play around with some of the cooler apps quite a bit. I know that alot of carriers recently announced their $99/month plans. If you are thinking of changing your cell carrier, due to contract being up, etc, you may want to look into SprintNextel's plan, as it INCLUDES unlimited EVERYTHING; data, text, minutes, etc. With this app using minutes and/or data, and if you are thinking of changing carriers, AND you use this app a lot, its something worth considering.

Pretty much all the major US carriers announced Unlimited "All" plans within 24 hours of each other. Sprint does happen to have a fairly cheap option, relative to the other carriers. But the tradeoff in coverage, at least in my area, is not worth the savings to switch. A 30% savings doesn't make sense when I would lose 50% of my coverage.

I downloaded GN at 1:00 AM last night, and for some reason (probably being half asleep) I didn't give Handmark my phone number. I sent off an email to Handmark/GN support this morning before I went to work. Rebecca emailed me at lunchtime (first thing in the AM for them) and asked me to provide her with the info she needed to fix it. I was up and running before I left work.

Haven't had a chance to hunt with it yet, but I've searched for local caches. The "wow" factor is definitely there.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Thanks.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Trimble is in the process of updating the phone software for other versions. As we submit to the carriers for certification, we will announce the availability of this feature and any new models available.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Could you submit it to Union Cellular in Wyoming while your at it? I doublt they will do anything but I've been bugging them about GPS phones.

Thanks, Jake81499

I am unable to access my phone logs, I dont even have an option to access them? Please advise. THanks

Here is an excerpt from our web site that should help. If you have any questions, please let me know.

How to access your cache logs

Once your phone is linked to a Geocaching.com account, all of your logs will automatically be uploaded to the web, ready for you to review and publish. You can edit, publish, or just view your logs from the My Phone Logs page at Geocaching.com.

If you have not yet linked your phone to a Geocaching.com account, don't worry, your logs will still be there waiting for you when you do connect the two up. For details on how to link your phone to a Geocaching.com account, see Instructions For New Users.

You can find this page off of the web site http://www.geocachenavigator.com.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

At this moment we do not have any timeline for Alltel. Wireless carriers that use the BREW platform tend to have complex relationships and getting applications on their phones is a little bit harder.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I thought "the BREW" made complex relationships manageable - and they're still prude, how rude. :huh:

(sorry) i thought is was funny.

Well, I screwed myself good.

I saw this announcement, and without further research just assumed that all phones on the mentioned networks would work. My wife has Sprint, so it seemed like a match made in heaven.

I went to the Sprint store and fell in love with the LG Rumor, purchased a 2 year plan, came home and found out my phone isn't supported. *slaps forehead*

Is there any news if Ill get to use my phone ever for this purpose, by chance?

Well, I screwed myself good.

I saw this announcement, and without further research just assumed that all phones on the mentioned networks would work. My wife has Sprint, so it seemed like a match made in heaven.

I went to the Sprint store and fell in love with the LG Rumor, purchased a 2 year plan, came home and found out my phone isn't supported. *slaps forehead*

Is there any news if Ill get to use my phone ever for this purpose, by chance?

Although I cannot guarantee success or when it will appear for sale, the LG Rumor was submitted for certification today.

I will provide an update in the forums as soon as status changes.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I am unable to access my phone logs, I dont even have an option to access them? Please advise. THanks

Here is an excerpt from our web site that should help. If you have any questions, please let me know.

How to access your cache logs

Once your phone is linked to a Geocaching.com account, all of your logs will automatically be uploaded to the web, ready for you to review and publish. You can edit, publish, or just view your logs from the My Phone Logs page at Geocaching.com.

If you have not yet linked your phone to a Geocaching.com account, don't worry, your logs will still be there waiting for you when you do connect the two up. For details on how to link your phone to a Geocaching.com account, see Instructions For New Users.

You can find this page off of the web site http://www.geocachenavigator.com.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I am having the same problem. There is no link to "My Phone Logs" on the Geocaching.com web site and the link in the directions on the Geocachenavigator.com generates an error from the Geocaching.com web site.

Edited by foundintx