Geocaching with Mobile Phone (Geocache Navigator)

Jeremy

I have a Nextel i850 and Trimble shows coming soon- does anyone have a time frame.

Yeah, I'm sitting here waiting patiently for the Nextel i870 version to become available.

(OK, honestly I'm drumming my fingers in anticipation).

Any info on when it will be released?

FWIW, the application is ready to go as soon as a Sprint/Nextel internal billing issue is resolved. My hopes are next week. Either way I will post when any changes to lingering phones occurs. I suspect due to the holidays, people are taking a lot of vacation and that is causing the delay.

--Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Just an FYI...

Geocache Navigator has launched on Nextel iDEN. I have only been able to test a few devices, but it appears that the application is available.

If you have an iDEN phone that is supported, you can download right from the Buy Games & Apps on the Java menu. Alternatively, you can go to the following link and have an SMS sent to your phone that will take you directly to the buy page.

Nextel Applications Portal

This looks so cool I'm actually thinking about getting a cell phone! :laughing:

All the questions and answers posted here have been extremely helpful.. for example, knowing that using this service doesn't use up minutes. Good things to know.

The one question I have that I haven't seen asked yet... Many great caches have a tendancy to be miles away from everything, including cell towers. What happens if you step outside of the designated coverage area, or lose your signal? Are you now in the middle of nowhere with no way to navigate out? :rolleyes:

All the questions and answers posted here have been extremely helpful.. for example, knowing that using this service doesn't use up minutes. Good things to know.

The one question I have that I haven't seen asked yet... Many great caches have a tendancy to be miles away from everything, including cell towers. What happens if you step outside of the designated coverage area, or lose your signal? Are you now in the middle of nowhere with no way to navigate out? :rolleyes:

Well the answer is pretty simple. Nextel phones are capable of working (GPS) out of coverage but without data there is no way to search for caches. Sprint phones, when started in coverage, MAY (that is a big may) work for up to 30 minutes or so out of coverage. For now the current cell phones have their tradoffs. I suspect in the future that the next generation of cell phones will more likely to all be able to work (GPS) out of network. Then, it becomes a matter of downloading all your information first and doing your seek. Something we may contemplate for the future.

Well the answer is pretty simple. Nextel phones are capable of working (GPS) out of coverage but without data there is no way to search for caches. Sprint phones, when started in coverage, MAY (that is a big may) work for up to 30 minutes or so out of coverage. For now the current cell phones have their tradoffs. I suspect in the future that the next generation of cell phones will more likely to all be able to work (GPS) out of network. Then, it becomes a matter of downloading all your information first and doing your seek. Something we may contemplate for the future.

Thanks!

This app looks great from what I can tell. Any ideas on when it would be available on the Blackberry platform? I've got a 7520 through Nextel/Sprint, and I'd be glad to beta test :cry:

Trimble Outdoors continues to review devices for compatability and opportunity. At this time the application is not available for the Blackberry devices. However, should this change we will announce availablity upon certification.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

This app looks great from what I can tell. Any ideas on when it would be available on the Blackberry platform? I've got a 7520 through Nextel/Sprint, and I'd be glad to beta test :cry:

Trimble Outdoors continues to review devices for compatability and opportunity. At this time the application is not available for the Blackberry devices. However, should this change we will announce availablity upon certification.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

This looks so cool I'm actually thinking about getting a cell phone! :cry:

The one question I have that I haven't seen asked yet... Many great caches have a tendancy to be miles away from everything, including cell towers. What happens if you step outside of the designated coverage area, or lose your signal? Are you now in the middle of nowhere with no way to navigate out? :cry:

Thanks!

This looks so cool I'm actually thinking about getting a cell phone! :cry:

The one question I have that I haven't seen asked yet... Many great caches have a tendancy to be miles away from everything, including cell towers. What happens if you step outside of the designated coverage area, or lose your signal? Are you now in the middle of nowhere with no way to navigate out? :cry:

Purchased the software sunday and downloaded- but have not been able to get it to work- it keeps giving error message that it will not connect to network- per Rebecca I uninsatlled and reinstalled three times and still no luck. Hoping for a solution soon.

Thanks!

Edited by casthenet

Purchased the software Sunday and downloaded it but have not been able to get it to work. Each time I try and connect it gives an error message that it can not connect to network and if persisted to call Trimble. I talked with Rebecca and she had me uninstall and reinstall program- unfornunitaly it still does not work. Hope to find a solution soon.-- any ideas are welcome

Thanks

Almost sounds like your phone does not have a data plan. Can you get to the web on your phone to read a news story (good test to see if you have data access)? Which carrier and phone do you have by the way - (Nextel or Sprint and the phone model number)?

Thanks,

Rich at Trimble

Yes I am able to go on websites- i850 nextel

Will this service be available with VerizonWireless in the near future?

Verizon is somewhat slow in releasing new GPS applications so timing of a potential release is hard to predict. Cingular doesn't have GPS phones other than the HP IPAQ. Trimble would like to have a solution for every carrier. Right now Sprint and Nextel have the best support for GPS applications.

:mad: I purchased this a couple of days ago. I couldnt get it to work and so I called nextel. They told me I had to purchase some program from them in order for it to work. One service rep said I didn't and another said I did so I wound up signing up with another program that I didnt even want . I've called Trimble twice and haven't heard back from them. I still can't get anything to work, I keep getting an error.

Gonebonks

Will this service be available with VerizonWireless in the near future?

Verizon is somewhat slow in releasing new GPS applications so timing of a potential release is hard to predict. Cingular doesn't have GPS phones other than the HP IPAQ. Trimble would like to have a solution for every carrier. Right now Sprint and Nextel have the best support for GPS applications.

:P I purchased this a couple of days ago. I couldnt get it to work and so I called nextel. They told me I had to purchase some program from them in order for it to work. One service rep said I didn't and another said I did so I wound up signing up with another program that I didnt even want . I've called Trimble twice and haven't heard back from them. I still can't get anything to work, I keep getting an error.

Gonebonks

Trimble Outdoors has spoken to Nextel and have determined that ALL content providers of Java applications are or have been experiencing issues preventing the download or operation of applications on the Nextel network. Currently Nextel is addressing the problem but they do not have a definitive time for resolution. Although Nextel has suggested that the issues should be repaired in 24-48 hours, this is not a guarantee.

We are asking all users experiencing error messages to please wait at least 48 hours before contacting our support group as we will hopefully have more information by then.

Our number, toll-free, is 1-800-773-5996.

Wow, is all I can say! My sister from Texas, showed us how hers works. She has a nextel phone. when she went shopping recently for a phone they told her about this, she then went home looked it up on gc.com and purchased a phone. I am so jealous as I am the geocacher ion the family, but she is becoming addicted too after I have been taking my niee caching for a year now. I have Verizon and am locked into a 2 year plan. Boo Hoo. I can not afford to get another phone. I want this so bad. By the way she loves that she does not have to download , that was tedious for her. now she takes about 4 moves on the phone and all the caches in the area pop up. The only downfall I see is that it does not show you if they are all active or not. disabled caches show up too, and when your in the field and are not on computer. you end up searching for something that wasn't there in the first place. Hope this can be addressed.

Any plans to include US Cellular? I have a Motorola Razor phone.

Trimble has taken a look at US Cellular and it appears at this time they are not supporting GPS functionality on their phones. We will continue to review this carrier and if things should change we will make an announcement.

I recently purchased a Motorola Razr with the carrier of Sprint. I've tried to set up the Geocaching Navigator without any success. When I tried to set it up it said it wasn't available. Any suggestions?

Sprint delayed the release of a few phones as the other models were certified before the RAZR was made available. It will be available any day now as Sprint has a two to three day process to move applications from a certified state to the vending machine where you can buy it.

Although we wanted to have a simultaneous launch of everything, it didn't quite happen that way.

I will say this, once you get the application on your RAZR you will be very happy. The RAZR is one of the Sprint phones with superior GPS performance... and, it is a cool phone.

So....should I try daily to I can do the application? As you can see, I'm sure anxious for this service. Thanks for your replay :laughing:

You can check daily on the Sprint deck. My bet is that if it is not there tomorrow then it sure won't be there over the weekend. I will throw out an announcement when it gets launched.

FYI,

Sprint has launched Geocache Navigator on the Motorola RAZR, KRZR and Samsung m500.

First, thanks for the great info, Larry!

I know that you don't want to talk about unannounced devices, but I definitely want to get your app. My company will buy whatever phone I ask them for (slight perk for the ridiculous amount of work), but I do need a Blackberry/Q/PDA-esque device. Right now there don't appear to be any on the list.

Without giving up the company secrets, can you give me an idea of if any of those types of devices is reasonably on the way? If they aren't in development I'll have to find another way to get your app.

THanks,

Michael

First, thanks for the great info, Larry!

I know that you don't want to talk about unannounced devices, but I definitely want to get your app. My company will buy whatever phone I ask them for (slight perk for the ridiculous amount of work), but I do need a Blackberry/Q/PDA-esque device. Right now there don't appear to be any on the list.

Without giving up the company secrets, can you give me an idea of if any of those types of devices is reasonably on the way? If they aren't in development I'll have to find another way to get your app.

THanks,

Michael

Right now it seems that the Blackberry is the most practical near time platform. Now will we be able to port the application soon? Obviously I know what I would like to do. But as we all know, time, resources, money...

I would hope more would chime in with their thoughts. Please note, for on-board (built in GPS) short-term solutions will still likely be with carriers such as Sprint and Nextel. Other carriers are possible but this requires an external bluetooth GPS device. This external device could work well but there may be aversion to having two devices.

Sprint delayed the release of a few phones as the other models were certified before the RAZR was made available. It will be available any day now as Sprint has a two to three day process to move applications from a certified state to the vending machine where you can buy it.

Although we wanted to have a simultaneous launch of everything, it didn't quite happen that way.

I will say this, once you get the application on your RAZR you will be very happy. The RAZR is one of the Sprint phones with superior GPS performance... and, it is a cool phone.

So....should I try daily to I can do the application? As you can see, I'm sure anxious for this service. Thanks for your replay :laughing:

You can check daily on the Sprint deck. My bet is that if it is not there tomorrow then it sure won't be there over the weekend. I will throw out an announcement when it gets launched.

FYI,

Sprint has launched Geocache Navigator on the Motorola RAZR, KRZR and Samsung m500.

Hey thanks for the update, as it turns out, I was doing my daily check to see if the RAZR was enabled and there it was! I successfully installed and now have the navigator on my RAZR. I must say it is all and more than I had anticipated. On the RAZR, the font is great (yes, I'm of the age that I need reading glasses), screens are beautiful, the pages load quickly, very accurate. My days of preparing to Geocache are over, no more uploading waypoints, no more sending pages to my palm. More importantly, no more shuffling between holding the GPS, Palm, and printed maps. My only question is...do I add another RAZR to my plan so Homie can have his own. Otherwise...Homie now is responsible for his own uploading and shuffling the palm and gps....Thanks to all from Trimble who have participated in this forum. I'm passing on to all my friends how wonderful the Geocache Navigator is...Lookielulu..who is a very happy Cacher!

Go Geocaching with your Mobile Phone

The Trimble® Geocache NavigatorTM is the first fully featured geocaching application for the mobile phone. If you have a GPS enabled mobile phone on Sprint, Boost or Southern Linc networks you can get started without a standalone GPS unit.

Geocache Navigator is linked directly to Geocaching.com's geocache listings and provides you with real-time access to caches near your location.

Learn more about Geocache Navigator and see screenshots

I figured it would be easier to accomodate any questions about the new application here. I've been personally using it for a couple of months now and I really, really like the instant geocaching fix it allows me to have when I'm out and about. I'm really bad at preparing for cache hunts so this is an easy way to go geocaching on a whim when I'm doing errands or whatever.

OK, So, I specifically subscribed to Trimble Outdoors Platinum service for my Blackberry 7520 for this functionality, but it appears this application has more direct integration. Are these applications goint to be integrated?

Thanks.

Go Geocaching with your Mobile Phone

The Trimble® Geocache NavigatorTM is the first fully featured geocaching application for the mobile phone. If you have a GPS enabled mobile phone on Sprint, Boost or Southern Linc networks you can get started without a standalone GPS unit.

Geocache Navigator is linked directly to Geocaching.com's geocache listings and provides you with real-time access to caches near your location.

Learn more about Geocache Navigator and see screenshots

I figured it would be easier to accomodate any questions about the new application here. I've been personally using it for a couple of months now and I really, really like the instant geocaching fix it allows me to have when I'm out and about. I'm really bad at preparing for cache hunts so this is an easy way to go geocaching on a whim when I'm doing errands or whatever.

OK, So, I specifically subscribed to Trimble Outdoors Platinum service for my Blackberry 7520 for this functionality, but it appears this application has more direct integration. Are these applications goint to be integrated?

Thanks.

Geocaching can be accomplished with the Trimble Outdoors product. There is a send to phone feature that supports one cache at a time. In addition one could download .loc or .gpx files, move them through the adventure planner and on to the phone. Geocache Navigator was written to specifically eliminate all the process steps and allow geocaching at a moments notice. Case in point, my son was with me at an REI event, he whips out his phone and finds a cache 250 feet away.

With regard to integration, there is no intention at this time to move towards integration. I am contemplating further the port of Geocache Navigator to the Blackberry (no promises here).

I'm hoping Verizon support is coming soon, since my husband recently got a new phone from them that locked us into 2 more years of family service. If I were getting a new phone from Verizon, are there certain ones that will be better for use with Geocache Navigator when Verizon support comes out? My husband uses the GPS navigation on his new phone for driving and finding restaurants, etc. The GPS works pretty well for that; don't know how it will do for trying to get within a 12' radius.

I'm hoping Verizon support is coming soon, since my husband recently got a new phone from them that locked us into 2 more years of family service. If I were getting a new phone from Verizon, are there certain ones that will be better for use with Geocache Navigator when Verizon support comes out? My husband uses the GPS navigation on his new phone for driving and finding restaurants, etc. The GPS works pretty well for that; don't know how it will do for trying to get within a 12' radius.

I'm also a Verizon customer though I do have a Boost Mobile phone for working with Geocache Navigator. Verizon has a "closed garden" approach to their software so it can be difficult to get applications on the device. Generally if you have a phone on Verizon that can run VZW Navigator (sp?) it should be fine once there is a version that works for that network. However I'd let Larry answer this.

I'm also a Verizon customer though I do have a Boost Mobile phone for working with Geocache Navigator. Verizon has a "closed garden" approach to their software so it can be difficult to get applications on the device. Generally if you have a phone on Verizon that can run VZW Navigator (sp?) it should be fine once there is a version that works for that network. However I'd let Larry answer this.

What Jeremy is referring to is the "walled garden" which means that Verizon controls everything that gets on their deck for download, period. The long and short is we do our best to look at each carrier, the opportunity, and what it takes to get on their deck. The good news is that Verizon has a lot of phones with pretty decent GPS. Reality is that it could take some time before Verizon is a real consideration.

My husband and I are new to geocaching. We had our first find yesterday by using the gps that came with my husband's nextel phone. I picked a fairly easy cache but the coords his phone gave had to be 'translated' by us to work with the coords the website gave. Anyways, we found it but really need a better gps. Because we are new, my question is... Do you guys think we should get this program for his phone to start off with before purchasing a more advanced handheld gps?

My husband and I are new to geocaching. We had our first find yesterday by using the gps that came with my husband's nextel phone. I picked a fairly easy cache but the coords his phone gave had to be 'translated' by us to work with the coords the website gave. Anyways, we found it but really need a better gps. Because we are new, my question is... Do you guys think we should get this program for his phone to start off with before purchasing a more advanced handheld gps?

I would ask myself why do I need a more sophisticated GPS? Mind you, I am a private pilot and I have a very high-end GPS. But, let me step back into dad mode for a second. I have two boys 10 and 12 who each have phones, very basic Boost prepaid (same as Nextel). As my kids and I travel all over the city and on vacation, we can take the phones with us for safety and for the instant gratification of being able to paperlessly geocache pretty much anywhere we go. Geocaching with a Nextel phone is pretty easy and actually more accurate than you would think. Which phone model do you have?

What Jeremy is referring to is the "walled garden" which means that Verizon controls everything that gets on their deck for download, period.

Right. Walled garden. Thanks for the clarification :huh:

I've had the Navigator for almost a week now on my RAZR. For those of you contemplating on if it's worth it, let me add a few comments. I've been geocaching for about 8 months. When I started I was manually entering waypoints, printing out cache info and printing out maps. I progressed to uploading waypoints from to my computer to my gps, uploading cache info to my palm pilot and still printing out maps. Although it was a great way to cache, now with the navigator on my phone, the prep time is next to nil, except for just turning on my phone. As far as accuracy, I think it is spot on, so far I haven't lost reception, lost a signal. The only problem is, as with most cachers, I'm obsessed with...is there a cache right here? So...as we are driving to a destination..of course I have my phone turned on, I say to Homie..Pull Over!, there is a cache right here. Now going to places we have to allow pull over time just to snag a cache or two.

With regard to integration, there is no intention at this time to move towards integration. I am contemplating further the port of Geocache Navigator to the Blackberry (no promises here).

Any more thought or information on the Blackberry port? I have a 7100i through Nextel if that helps.

My contract with Sprint is up and I'd like to upgrade to a PDA type phone with them that is also GPS capable. Is this prgram available with any of them yet? This would swing my purchase to whatever phone has this capability!

The move to PDA type phones like Blackberry's and Windows Mobile devices takes a bit of effort. Trimble Outdoors is exploring these devices but we have not made a firm commitment to a particular device as of yet. In general we look to support as many GPS capable phones as possible. Stay tuned. If we should decide to support PDA phones, we will have the appropriate announcement.

I have been using the service for a week now, This is great! I even used it on a multi! I went with the sanyo mm-7500 since I was offered to buy a phone that was never used for only $50 (a no 2 year agreement!)

My question is will there a seperate post or forum for requests or functionality?

I saw other postings on filter out finds, I understand that could slow down a query but would be cool to find caches in the area that I havent found. but I have used quick cache to show other cachers nearby finds.

another nice request would be to have the send to phone option on geocaching.com go to navigator or the other Trimble Outdoors product. I wanted my wife to send me a cache for an ftf but it goes to a different application. I would be willing to buy the $20 standard outdoors if it linked to geocachenavigator.

Thanks again Trimble.

I have been using the service for a week now, This is great! I even used it on a multi! I went with the sanyo mm-7500 since I was offered to buy a phone that was never used for only $50 (a no 2 year agreement!)

My question is will there a seperate post or forum for requests or functionality?

I saw other postings on filter out finds, I understand that could slow down a query but would be cool to find caches in the area that I havent found. but I have used quick cache to show other cachers nearby finds.

another nice request would be to have the send to phone option on geocaching.com go to navigator or the other Trimble Outdoors product. I wanted my wife to send me a cache for an ftf but it goes to a different application. I would be willing to buy the $20 standard outdoors if it linked to geocachenavigator.

Thanks again Trimble.

I would encourage anyone who has a thought on product enhancements to post here. I track all requests and can directly impact any future product release. Keep the ideas coming.

Please note, it does take a while to lump all the new ideas together, write code, and recertify. Unfortunately putting software on phones is a lot harder than shipping out a new CD or downloading something off the web.

I get out there and wonder if its really worth the extra expense to be connected. Would it be better to just buy a 60csx and have it with me 24/7?

Monday had a situation in the wind where the paper with the info on a cache departed the scene. If I was online I would have been to retrieve the info.

I have the Nextel I-580 and its as tough as advertised.

maybe over the few months I can make up my mind.

I get out there and wonder if its really worth the extra expense to be connected. Would it be better to just buy a 60csx and have it with me 24/7?

Monday had a situation in the wind where the paper with the info on a cache departed the scene. If I was online I would have been to retrieve the info.

I have the Nextel I-580 and its as tough as advertised.

maybe over the few months I can make up my mind.

I've been using the i580 for the last few weeks. You're right...it's bullet proof! I had it out in the rain Sunday and launched it off my mountain bike Sat. What a great totally rugged phone. I installed a 500 MB micro SD card to hold more music. It has a nice display too for Geocache Navigator and it picks up GPS sats really well. It's now my favorite phone for rugged outdoor abuse. The i615 is also rugged but it's kind of big (candy bar phone) compared to the i580 flip profile :rolleyes:

Rich at Trimble

Help!!!!

Ive downloaded GN on my i560 nextel, it WONT OPEN!, the program comes up and it takes 3-4 minuites to initialize, then I get an error message. "Failed to connect to the network MC1100 close indication on open O" ive spoken with both and nextel and trimbal , each says everything is OK but I still cant get the app to go any farther than the "Barber pole " stating initializing, then the error message. Any Ideas??

I do have my 60CSX with me 24/7 (I has its own pocket in my purse) but there are several advantages to being connected which are worth the price of geocache navigator (GN) for me:

1: Puzzle caches. There are a LOT of caches which are classified as Puzzle caches which are also multicaches which start you at the coordinates but for which you need access to the cache page to complete. Sure, I could get access to the cache page through the WAP site but the geocache navigator format is SO MUCH nicer. In this case I need both GN and my GPSr.

2: GN is real-time. The town where I live is extremely cache dense and despite having quite a number of finds there are still more than 1000 that I have not found within 45 miles of my home. Given that my GPSr only holds 1000 caches, I get more than 45 miles away from home and I need to rely on GN for caching spontaneously.

3: I can cache WHEREVER I am. I travel a lot (my friend has joked that I just need to move into a SW airlines jet on weekends) and this way I don't have to worry about carrying my laptop to load pqs into my GPSr or check cache pages. My phone is always with me.

The decision has to be made based on your lifestyle. To me the 24/7 combination of GPSr and 60csx with maps of the Eastern half of the US as well as Texas works best for me!

Help!!!!

Ive downloaded GN on my i560 nextel, it WONT OPEN!, the program comes up and it takes 3-4 minuites to initialize, then I get an error message. "Failed to connect to the network MC1100 close indication on open O" ive spoken with both and nextel and trimbal , each says everything is OK but I still cant get the app to go any farther than the "Barber pole " stating initializing, then the error message. Any Ideas??

This problem sounds like there is not a data plan on your i560 account or Nextel set up the data plan wrong. We see both situations often. If you could contact Christy Capek at Trimble Outdoors support at 1-800-773-5996 she can call Nextel with you on the phone to resolve the issue. She starts at 7am EST so feel free to call early. I'll let her know that you'll be contacting her.

Rich at Trimble

I got a Sprint m500 for xmas, enabled Power Vision, but don't see any "G" applications in my list. I did the send me a text message thing on geocachenavigator.com and chose Go from that message (and tried hand entering the URL), but it says "We're sorry. This item is unavailable." Is this a temporary thing, I hope? Is there something else I should try?

I just started this whole Geocaching fun a couple of days ago. I am enjoying it so much, it is very exciting and fun. I don't have a GPSr handheld, but I do have a Sprint Motorolla Razor and downloaded this program to try out Geocaching. So I don't have much experience with the Geocaching ways but I love this program so much. You can easily search for caches in your area by using your current location. It pulls up which are closest to you in proximity. I went Christmas shopping the 23rd, and said I wonder if there is any Geocache's near me. Sure enough there was a park & go in the parking lot across the way. So whenever you want to do a quick Cache run you have the ability too! I want to compare the accuracy with a handheld though. However, I have found 4 cache's arleady using my phone! Highly reccomend.

I got a Sprint m500 for xmas, enabled Power Vision, but don't see any "G" applications in my list. I did the send me a text message thing on geocachenavigator.com and chose Go from that message (and tried hand entering the URL), but it says "We're sorry. This item is unavailable." Is this a temporary thing, I hope? Is there something else I should try?

The M500 is a very nice phone. Slim, sleek and a smaller form factor than the RAZR. It has been submitted to Sprint for certification and should be available to buy from your M500 within the next 3 weeks or so. We're doing our best to enable every GPS phone ASAP. Check back with our support folks by email ( support@trimbleoutdoors.com ) next week (after Jan 2) and we should be able to give you a better time estimate. :laughing:

Rich at Trimble

I have the samsung a900m, and sespite my calls and emails, I continue to get blown off. Alwhough It seemed close at one point, nothing has happened. My question is, I'm pretty sure the a900m has an open GPS library, unlike the a900, apparently, this is either incorrect, or someone is unaware. May I please beta a copy in any resolution, at this point, I want anything, I don't even care if it fills my screen! I just hate getting my phone and my friends GPS out together to read a cache log and update the GPS. Please, anything. I would gladly ay for this app if it were available to me. This is a good beta oportunity too, right? :anitongue:

-Landon