Geocaching with Mobile Phone (Geocache Navigator)

Jeremy

Larry, I've been using the Trimble GPS Pack with my Sprint SCP-7050 for some time now. I'm extremely happy except for one thing... in direct sunlight, it's difficult to view. Would it be possible to add a high-contrast color scheme that can be turned on/off in the settings?

Also, I noticed that when I start up the Trimble Outdoors application, it connects to my service provider to confirm my subscription. Will the program fail to load if it can't connect to the Sprint network even though it supports the autonomous GPS? I haven't gone "off-network" with the software yet and I'd like to avoid any surprises.

Thanks so much, the software overall is great!

-Greg

Larry, I've been using the Trimble GPS Pack with my Sprint SCP-7050 for some time now. I'm extremely happy except for one thing... in direct sunlight, it's difficult to view. Would it be possible to add a high-contrast color scheme that can be turned on/off in the settings?

Also, I noticed that when I start up the Trimble Outdoors application, it connects to my service provider to confirm my subscription. Will the program fail to load if it can't connect to the Sprint network even though it supports the autonomous GPS? I haven't gone "off-network" with the software yet and I'd like to avoid any surprises.

Thanks so much, the software overall is great!

-Greg

Greg,

I have added your request above to our tracking document for product features. One challenge we have is releasing updated versions for wireless carrier handsets, it is a LONG process. However, if we can get it into our baseline code for other devices, it will eventually migrate back.

Although the 7050 has autonomous GPS, you would still need the data connection to do cache requests etc. There is already a feature request for Out Of Network access. Don't know if and when it will make it in but I am pushing for it.

Regarding subscription, there is no issue. But then again, it is moot right now. Trimble Outdoors for example would work out of network on the 7050 (even if no data connection is available)

Larry

I have added your request above to our tracking document for product features. One challenge we have is releasing updated versions for wireless carrier handsets, it is a LONG process. However, if we can get it into our baseline code for other devices, it will eventually migrate back.

Oh, I understand completely. I'm a network/systems engineer so I know how it can be getting code approval... let alone deployments once the approval comes through!

Although the 7050 has autonomous GPS, you would still need the data connection to do cache requests etc. There is already a feature request for Out Of Network access. Don't know if and when it will make it in but I am pushing for it.

Sweet!

Regarding subscription, there is no issue. But then again, it is moot right now. Trimble Outdoors for example would work out of network on the 7050 (even if no data connection is available)

Fantastic! Exactly what I wanted to hear! I'm going to the Minnesota Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA) this Summer, so I'll print out (or load maps on to my phone) what I need before I head out.

Keep up the great work!

Haven't seen any updates in this thread for a while. Any news on the Samsung M520 or LG Rumor for Sprint? I'm specifically waiting to purchase a new phone based on whether navigator will work or not (on one of the models above).

I have sent a message into Sprint requesting a proposed launch date. Once I have something more concrete I will post the information in the forums.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

FYI,

Geocache Navigator is now available on Sprint for the following phones:

LG 570 - Muziq

LG 260 - Rumor

Motorola V9m - RAZR2

Sanyo 6650 - Katana II

Sanyo 8500 - Katana DLX

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Which phones from AT&T are there to choose from?

We are available on GPS enabled 8xxx series Blackberry devices with AT&T. Currently AT&T does not have a traditional handset lineup that has GPS built in - yet.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I have the Blackberry Curve thru AT&T but I don't have the online GPS turned on.

1) Does trimble work with AT&T now?

2) Will I need to sign up for the full blown GPS premium nav pkg?

We are available on GPS enabled 8xxx series Blackberry devices with AT&T. Currently AT&T does not have a traditional handset lineup that has GPS built in - yet.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I have the Blackberry Curve thru AT&T but I don't have the online GPS turned on.

A lot depends on which model you have. The 8300 curve does not have GPS built in. The only way to make that work would be with an external bluetooth device. The 8310 curve does have built in GPS (it happens to be the device I carry). The 8310 requires nothing to turn the GPS on.

All of our software can be purchased from Handmark or via demo from www.trimbleoutdoors.rim. It is pretty easy to figure out what model you have - on your BB go to options, then select about. The model number will be the first line. If you have an 8310 you can go to advanced options then GPS to verify it is turned on.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

A lot depends on which model you have. The 8300 curve does not have GPS built in. The only way to make that work would be with an external bluetooth device. The 8310 curve does have built in GPS (it happens to be the device I carry). The 8310 requires nothing to turn the GPS on.

All of our software can be purchased from Handmark or via demo from www.trimbleoutdoors.rim. It is pretty easy to figure out what model you have - on your BB go to options, then select about. The model number will be the first line. If you have an 8310 you can go to advanced options then GPS to verify it is turned on.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I do have the 8310, and I think the GPS is active, at least the last option you mentioned says GPS is Device GPS. I took a stab at identifying the BB earlier when I went to the trimble site.

Thx for answering so quickly. I am still deciding what I'm going to do now.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I do have the 8310, and I think the GPS is active, at least the last option you mentioned says GPS is Device GPS. I took a stab at identifying the BB earlier when I went to the trimble site.

Hopefully this doesn't come out promotional but here is my suggestion. Go to the website and download the free trial. Currently it is good for 60 days. Obviously I am a bit biased as I really enjoy using our product. Give it a try and share your thoughts. My personality is more spontaneous so the instant gratification of going caching any time I want is kind of handy.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Hopefully this doesn't come out promotional but here is my suggestion. Go to the website and download the free trial. Currently it is good for 60 days. Obviously I am a bit biased as I really enjoy using our product. Give it a try and share your thoughts. My personality is more spontaneous so the instant gratification of going caching any time I want is kind of handy.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I am still thinking about that, and NO it doesn't sound promotional hehehehe. I have to figure out how to hook up the BB to either the home Mac or work PC, or maybe both since I geocache both places. I'd like to be able to cache on the fly.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I am still thinking about that, and NO it doesn't sound promotional hehehehe. I have to figure out how to hook up the BB to either the home Mac or work PC, or maybe both since I geocache both places. I'd like to be able to cache on the fly.

No need to hook up the BB to anything! Everything you do is done on the device, including cache listings. You can actually load the application wirelessly on your device from www.trimbleoutdoors.com/rim/get. One of the key features of Geocache Navigator is the paperless caching. You can even complete basic logging from the device as well.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

uh Larry, I can't seem to locate anything on Trimble resembling a free trial download, but I am a natural blond :( can you point me in the right direction perhaps?

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

uh Larry, I can't seem to locate anything on Trimble resembling a free trial download, but I am a natural blond :( can you point me in the right direction perhaps?

On the web Rim Downloads Page

On your device BB Download Page

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

On the web Rim Downloads Page

On your device BB Download Page

more bad news, now that I have the trimble outdoors software, I can't get the info to got from computer to my phone, and I don't see a manual for the 8310 Curve

you all must be just soooo tired of me by now. back to trimbleoutdoors.com w/me again

I just this week got the BB 8310 from AT&T and downloaded Geocache Navigator. First let me say WOW!!! I can't believe first of all how accurate the GPS is and second how easy GN makes geocaching! I last went geocaching over 5 years ago and it seems almost like cheating with this set-up.

Having said that, I was able to log my finds from my phone, but I couldn't figure out how to make field notes and couldn't find any info on the GN website. Is there a way to make field notes through the Geocache Navigator application? It seems to me with all the other fancy shmancy stuff it does, there should be a way to make field notes through GN and retrieve them with the found/not found information after I get home. Thanks!

I just this week got the BB 8310 from AT&T and downloaded Geocache Navigator. First let me say WOW!!! I can't believe first of all how accurate the GPS is and second how easy GN makes geocaching! I last went geocaching over 5 years ago and it seems almost like cheating with this set-up.

Having said that, I was able to log my finds from my phone, but I couldn't figure out how to make field notes and couldn't find any info on the GN website. Is there a way to make field notes through the Geocache Navigator application? It seems to me with all the other fancy shmancy stuff it does, there should be a way to make field notes through GN and retrieve them with the found/not found information after I get home. Thanks!

Right now the application will only allow you to log found or not found. Your request above is on the list of features we are considering adding. What you will need to do for today is to make sure your phone is associated with a geocaching.com account.

You will find all the information you need at the link below. From this link you can associate a phone and record field notes.

http://www.geocaching.com/my/fieldnotes.aspx

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

hhhmmm maybe I should have gotten GN instead. Sounds great, glad its working for you!

Right now the application will only allow you to log found or not found. Your request above is on the list of features we are considering adding. What you will need to do for today is to make sure your phone is associated with a geocaching.com account.

You will find all the information you need at the link below. From this link you can associate a phone and record field notes.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Thx again Larry! I've been in Dana Pt on our boat all wknd so I haven't been near a computer since Friday. I'll try that today. :P

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Thx again Larry! I've been in Dana Pt on our boat all wknd so I haven't been near a computer since Friday. I'll try that today. :P

More silly questions, I have Trimble Outdoors, not GN, so what do I do now?

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Trimble Outdoors (the application) is a general purpose navigating tool much like your standard GPSR. There is no cache logging feature in this particular product. If you are focused on Geocaching, GN is the right product.

Larry

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Thx again Larry! I've been in Dana Pt on our boat all wknd so I haven't been near a computer since Friday. I'll try that today. :D

Trimble Outdoors (the application) is a general purpose navigating tool much like your standard GPSR. There is no cache logging feature in this particular product. If you are focused on Geocaching, GN is the right product.

Larry

Guess I know my next move then LOL

Thanks again Larry!

Any new information regarding geocache navigator, Samsung M520 and Sprint? Still waiting to determine if this phone will ever work with navigator before purchasing. Thanks...

The m520 was submitted for certification testing last week. All I can say is that I hope it pops out the other end soon.

Larry

I have GN on my Boost phone currently, my son has a boost phone and wants to add it to his. There is no longer a link to download it. Any ideas?

The HTC Touch is a Windows Mobile device. At this time we do not have plans to support this device.

Larry

I don't understand the answer. My reference was to a boost phone.

how about a little help or answers for the Boost people out here. I was given a i425 for Fathers Day and have nothing but frustration ever since. Trimble says Boost dropped the application, Boost says 1.) They have never heard of the program, 2.) The program is no longer available for any of their phones, 3.) It is available but not for the i425. Of the 4 or 5 times I talked to them these are the answers I have gotten. At this point I just want a straight answer. We currently have a plan through AT&T and were only planning on the Boost for the GN application. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

still no answers for the Boost users???

Let me provide a general update for Boost. Some time ago Nextel (the network Boost runs on) discovered a HUGE issue with a certificate expiring. This certificate invalidate all location aware applications and the ability to even download apps on the phone. I personally am on the phone with the content publishers working towards getting the applications re-signed and back on the deck. Carrier time can be so incredibly long and frustrating.

Once we can get resolution, I will personally post the details here.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Let me provide a general update for Boost. Some time ago Nextel (the network Boost runs on) discovered a HUGE issue with a certificate expiring. This certificate invalidate all location aware applications and the ability to even download apps on the phone. I personally am on the phone with the content publishers working towards getting the applications re-signed and back on the deck. Carrier time can be so incredibly long and frustrating.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Thanks for the update.

willy

I am using the Blackberry and it is really the way to go. I can find locations, seek, find and log finds (or not finds) from my phone. However, I am linked to geocaching.com but my finds show up on "my field notes" on geocaching.com. How do I automatically get them to a "log" on that web site?

This announcement was posted on the web site today:

Go Geocaching with your Mobile Phone

The Trimble® Geocache NavigatorTM is the first fully featured geocaching application for the mobile phone. If you have a GPS enabled mobile phone on Sprint, Boost or Southern Linc networks you can get started without a standalone GPS unit.

Geocache Navigator is linked directly to Geocaching.com's geocache listings and provides you with real-time access to caches near your location.

Learn more about Geocache Navigator and see screenshots

I figured it would be easier to accomodate any questions about the new application here. I've been personally using it for a couple of months now and I really, really like the instant geocaching fix it allows me to have when I'm out and about. I'm really bad at preparing for cache hunts so this is an easy way to go geocaching on a whim when I'm doing errands or whatever.

I am using the Blackberry and it is really the way to go. I can find locations, seek, find and log finds (or not finds) from my phone. However, I am linked to geocaching.com but my finds show up on "my field notes" on geocaching.com. How do I automatically get them to a "log" on that web site?

This announcement was posted on the web site today:

Go Geocaching with your Mobile Phone

The Trimble® Geocache NavigatorTM is the first fully featured geocaching application for the mobile phone. If you have a GPS enabled mobile phone on Sprint, Boost or Southern Linc networks you can get started without a standalone GPS unit.

Geocache Navigator is linked directly to Geocaching.com's geocache listings and provides you with real-time access to caches near your location.

Learn more about Geocache Navigator and see screenshots

I figured it would be easier to accomodate any questions about the new application here. I've been personally using it for a couple of months now and I really, really like the instant geocaching fix it allows me to have when I'm out and about. I'm really bad at preparing for cache hunts so this is an easy way to go geocaching on a whim when I'm doing errands or whatever.

It really makes sense to have a concept of a field log as most phones don't have a really good entry mechanism for anything but trivial text. Users wanted to be able to annotate their finds in more detail than a phone can provide. When you click on a field note, you can type in your complete log entry and add whatever "flair" you desire. I would consider more advanced editing to be a possible product upgrade for the future for those devices that are more capable like the BlackBerry.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

When will a new version be released? My 2.04 is several months old. I miss a lot of useful functionality... :-)

I'm using a N95.

What functionality were you looking for?

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

If you look at the section "Feature Requests" in the Geocaching.com forum, you will get a pretty long list... ;-)

There are several things that could be better, but there are a couple of things that i really miss:

1) Backlight always on when caching

2) Buffering of caches when outside of cellular areas.(download to mem card for offline caching)

3) Logging of time

4) Access pictures like spoilers and such.(and offline option)

5) Drop and grab coins and TB’s(logging)

6) An option to write a small log for each cache found/not found.

7) Offline street maps and/or support for Nokia/Garmin maps.

Very useful for finding caches in cities with car or cycle. The online maps are very slow

and more or less useless.

8) A little more visible GPS strength meters. Useful when caching in places where there are

several blocking elements like trees and buildings.

9) A “keylock” function. When having an “active” cache with compass and if it’s necessary to

put phone inside pocket or similar, it’s quite easy to accidentally hit a “exit the program”

button or exit the cache and THAT is very irritating!! Particularly if you are outside cellular

areas… ;-) This is also a problem when “Enter manually” mode. It’s very annoying when

have to key in the same coordinates every time you grab the phone from you’re pocket.

There are several other improvements that could be implemented, but I suggest you have look at the suggestions that several other users have mentioned in the forum at geocachenavigator.com.

But generally I’m very pleased to have an online caching database with me all the time, so I’m very grateful for all you’re efforts in developing this software! Thanx!! :-)

I tried the FREE "Geocache Navigator" with my Sony Ericsson W760i phone (with internal GPS) on AT&T and it worked great!

http://www.geocachenavigator.com/NokiaEdit...25/Default.aspx

The web site says that this application will only work with select Nokia phones, but obviously it will work with others. I'll bet it would work with any phone that supports J2ME (java) applications. It may even work with an external bluetooth GPS.

This will be pretty handy if you are out and want to bag a cache or two without your GPSr or without a PDA full of notes.

Edited by ncbeisers

Any new information regarding geocache navigator, Samsung M520 and Sprint? Still waiting to determine if this phone will ever work with navigator before purchasing. Thanks...

The m520 was submitted for certification testing last week. All I can say is that I hope it pops out the other end soon.

Larry

FYI,

The Sanyo 3800 and the m520 just passed certification on Sprint. I have not seen them show up for purchase yet but I would expect any day soon they will be available.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Edited by tempestaz

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Is there any idea on when Boost may reoffer the Geocache Navigator?

thanks

Anything on the Sprint Instinct?

We have an Instinct and we are playing with it now. The touch screen interface will require some changes. At this time I can only say we are very interested but this will clearly take more effort.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Any update on this? I have a couple friends who might be interested as they've seen me running it on my BB.

We have an Instinct and we are playing with it now. The touch screen interface will require some changes. At this time I can only say we are very interested but this will clearly take more effort.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Any update on this? I have a couple friends who might be interested as they've seen me running it on my BB.

Trimble is still consider this device but we are not ready to make any announcement as of yet.

Larry

When will a new version be released? My 2.04 is several months old. I miss a lot of useful functionality... :-)

I'm using a N95.

What functionality were you looking for?

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

If you look at the section "Feature Requests" in the Geocaching.com forum, you will get a pretty long list... ;-)

There are several things that could be better, but there are a couple of things that i really miss:

1) Backlight always on when caching

2) Buffering of caches when outside of cellular areas.(download to mem card for offline caching)

3) Logging of time

4) Access pictures like spoilers and such.(and offline option)

5) Drop and grab coins and TB’s(logging)

6) An option to write a small log for each cache found/not found.

7) Offline street maps and/or support for Nokia/Garmin maps.

Very useful for finding caches in cities with car or cycle. The online maps are very slow

and more or less useless.

8) A little more visible GPS strength meters. Useful when caching in places where there are

several blocking elements like trees and buildings.

9) A “keylock” function. When having an “active” cache with compass and if it’s necessary to

put phone inside pocket or similar, it’s quite easy to accidentally hit a “exit the program”

button or exit the cache and THAT is very irritating!! Particularly if you are outside cellular

areas… ;-) This is also a problem when “Enter manually” mode. It’s very annoying when

have to key in the same coordinates every time you grab the phone from you’re pocket.

There are several other improvements that could be implemented, but I suggest you have look at the suggestions that several other users have mentioned in the forum at geocachenavigator.com.

But generally I’m very pleased to have an online caching database with me all the time, so I’m very grateful for all you’re efforts in developing this software! Thanx!! :-)

Offline maps would be great. Here in Australia we cant access Topo maps or Aerial maps at all. Can shonky maps or Garmin maps be used on Nokia phones ? :rolleyes:

Something else that doesnt seem to work is hide my finds when searching for new (downloading) caches.

Love the Program

Edited by bbayjohn

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

If you need any beta testers, please let me know. I would love to see this application on the Instinct.