Geocaching with Mobile Phone (Geocache Navigator)

Jeremy

I am unable to access my phone logs, I dont even have an option to access them? Please advise. THanks

Here is an excerpt from our web site that should help. If you have any questions, please let me know.

How to access your cache logs

Once your phone is linked to a Geocaching.com account, all of your logs will automatically be uploaded to the web, ready for you to review and publish. You can edit, publish, or just view your logs from the My Phone Logs page at Geocaching.com.

If you have not yet linked your phone to a Geocaching.com account, don't worry, your logs will still be there waiting for you when you do connect the two up. For details on how to link your phone to a Geocaching.com account, see Instructions For New Users.

You can find this page off of the web site http://www.geocachenavigator.com.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I am having the same problem. There is no link to "My Phone Logs" on the Geocaching.com web site and the link in the directions on the Geocachenavigator.com generates an error from the Geocaching.com web site.

It appears we have resolved the issue. For now please use the link

http://www.geocaching.com/my/fieldnotes.aspx

The My Phone Logs links will be updated accordingly.

Thank you for letting us know.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Larry,

I was hoping you could confirm that you received my email in reference to the LG Rumor. I was afraid the information I sent would not get to you the way I replied to your email through a third client. Please let me know if you did or did not receive it.

Thanks!

I did get the email. I am out on Spring break with my kids. Should be able to get this off to you tomorrow afternoon when I get back.

Larry

You are correct, there is one place that we didn't change. That will get corrected soon. For now you can use this link: http://www.mobango.com/media_details/app-p...#33;BCf19syh8w=

Thanks

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Ok, I'll wait for the corrected zip file at geocachenavigator.com. Can you tell us when it's available to download there.

The corrected file is posted on http://www.geocachenavigator.com/. Just lick on the the Free Version image on the right side of the page.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

How about this program working on AT&T. I have the AT&T Tilt and need a good GEOcaching program.

I just purchased the software/service for a year (Blackberry 8800 using AT&T/Cingular). I'm loving the features and the interface! :D It has, though, crashed on me a couple of times. :D Is there somewhere I can look online to see what the latest version of the software is available for the Blackberry/download the latest version? (I'm hoping that may resolve the crashing issues.)

I just purchased the software/service for a year (Blackberry 8800 using AT&T/Cingular). I'm loving the features and the interface! <_< It has, though, crashed on me a couple of times. <_< Is there somewhere I can look online to see what the latest version of the software is available for the Blackberry/download the latest version? (I'm hoping that may resolve the crashing issues.)

Could you describe what you were doing when it crashed? Did you get any message?

Thanks

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

:unsure: Beware of any Verizon phones. I bought a Verizon 8830 WE Blackberry from Verizon. Only to find out afterwards that Verizon purpously disabled the GPS function. They will only turn it on to work with one of their $10 a month programs. They do not advertise this fact. I suspect they will do this to their other phones as well.

When will the Geocache Navigator be available for the LG Rumor?

Larry,

I was hoping you could confirm that you received my email in reference to the LG Rumor. I was afraid the information I sent would not get to you the way I replied to your email through a third client. Please let me know if you did or did not receive it.

Thanks!

I did get the email. I am out on Spring break with my kids. Should be able to get this off to you tomorrow afternoon when I get back.

Larry

Larry,

Thanks!

Larry

I spoke with Sprint at the end of the week. The device is in certification testing and should be on the deck in the best case within a few weeks (no promises though as we don't control the process).

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I have been trying to get the software to activate on my Blackberry 8820 for the past few weeks with no luck. I have called Trimble and reported the issue but it appears it might be an issue on ATT network - Does anyone else have an 8820 that work successfully on ATT network?

I am looking for some information and advice about phone choices for use with Geocache Navigator. I started Geocaching a couple months ago and really enjoy it. I have already grown a little tired of importing caches to my GPS and printing out the info sheets though. Using Geocache Navigator seems like it would be a great alternative. It so happens that I am ready to replace my Sprint Treo 650 that I have had for a couple years. I want to stay with the Sprint service and I would prefer to continue to use my phone as a PDA device. The Treo 650 I currently use has a Palm OS and I sync it on a Mac computer.

In doing some initial research through CNet and on the Sprint website, it does not appear that there is a Sprint PDA, GPS enabled phone, with a Palm OS that would run Geocache Navigator. Is that correct? It appears that the best alternative for a Sprint PDA phone that might work is the Motorola Q9c which uses the Windows Mobile OS. This phone has gotten good reviews. The only downside for me in using the Motorola Q9c would be switching from a Palm OS to Windows Mobile. I would hate to have to manually re-enter all my contact and calender information. I have looked into the possibility of converting the Palm based info to Windows Mobile, but there does not appear to be a quick and painless solution. (There is some mention of using Windows Outlook to help convert the info, but I don't currently use Outlook, so I don't think that would help much.) The Motorola Q9c is not currently listed as a supported phone for Geocache Navigator. Can the Motorola Q9c use the Geocache Navigator software? Is there a better option that I am not seeing? Any information or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Luna Scouts

Added: After doing some more research, it does look like there might be some BlackBerry PDA phones that might work as well. I would still have the same concern about having to manually re-enter all my contact and calender information and the reviews I have seen say that the BlackBerry OS is not nearly as good as the Palm OS. I don't need to do a lot of computer type tasks on my PDA though, so that might not be a deal breaker for me. Any thoughts from anyone who has used a BlackBerry as far as it's functionality compared to the Palm OS and whether it would be a good choice for Geocache Navigator?

Edited by Luna Scouts

I recently purchased a Boost I425 and am in the process of loading in geocache navigator. Everytime I try to install the application, I get a 500 error stating the web application cannot be reached. Is there anything I am doing wrong? Do I need the web service to get this application? At a buck a day for the service, this is not the cost economical solution I was hoping for.

I did read that the web service was not needed, so I am kind of stumped.

I called Boost and they were no help at all, the lady wasn't even aware that this application existed.

Thanks in advance,

I recently purchased a Boost I425 and am in the process of loading in geocache navigator. Everytime I try to install the application, I get a 500 error stating the web application cannot be reached. Is there anything I am doing wrong? Do I need the web service to get this application? At a buck a day for the service, this is not the cost economical solution I was hoping for.

I called Boost and they were no help at all, the lady wasn't even aware that this application existed.

Thanks in advance,

Well first of all you do not need the web service. We are tying the same as wll on our end. It appears there is an issue but we are trying to determine if there is an issue with Boost or the content delivery system on their end.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

thanks for the quick reply, I will stand fast until you post that the issue is resolved.

Thanks in advance,

Well first of all you do not need the web service. We are tying the same as wll on our end. It appears there is an issue but we are trying to determine if there is an issue with Boost or the content delivery system on their end.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I have At&T/Cingular with a BB Curve and I have been using GeoNavigator for 4 months. Love it. Has some kinks but I am sure Trimble is working on them.

I hate carrying around too many things. I can do paperless caching where ever I am. Log it and take pictures and send them to my log. I am happy everything is in one neat package!

<_<

I ended up purchasing a Blackberry Pearl phone through Sprint. I have been very pleased with the phone. I downloaded the Geocache Navigator and it works well. I really like having access to so much information without having to print a sheet or two of paper for each cache I look for. I have noticed one thing that is a little disappointing though. On the couple caches I have looked for using Geocache Navigator with my BB Pearl, it gets me to the general vicinity of the cache, but the accuracy is not really good enough to pinpoint a cache. I feel like I need to bring along my eTrex GPS with the cords plugged into that as well in order to get an accurate reading of where a cache might be. The location of where I am in relation to the cache also floats around a lot on the Pearl. (I do have the GPS option activated on the phone.) I did a little research and it seems like the problem might be that the GPS on the BB Pearl does not use the more accurate WAAS navigation system. I purchased a separate Holux M-1000 bluetooth GPS device and paired it with my BB Pearl in hopes the accuracy would be better, but it does not appear like the Geocache Navigator is able to use the Holux M-1000 as the accuracy did not seem to improve any. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to use both my BB Pearl and my eTrex when caching (still beats making a bunch of printouts), but is there a way of getting better accuracy through the Geocache Navigator for a BB Pearl or is there an option to allow it to use the a stand alone bluetooth GPS device?

Thanks,

Dean

I ended up purchasing a Blackberry Pearl phone through Sprint. I have been very pleased with the phone. I downloaded the Geocache Navigator and it works well. I really like having access to so much information without having to print a sheet or two of paper for each cache I look for. I have noticed one thing that is a little disappointing though. On the couple caches I have looked for using Geocache Navigator with my BB Pearl, it gets me to the general vicinity of the cache, but the accuracy is not really good enough to pinpoint a cache. I feel like I need to bring along my eTrex GPS with the cords plugged into that as well in order to get an accurate reading of where a cache might be. The location of where I am in relation to the cache also floats around a lot on the Pearl. (I do have the GPS option activated on the phone.) I did a little research and it seems like the problem might be that the GPS on the BB Pearl does not use the more accurate WAAS navigation system. I purchased a separate Holux M-1000 bluetooth GPS device and paired it with my BB Pearl in hopes the accuracy would be better, but it does not appear like the Geocache Navigator is able to use the Holux M-1000 as the accuracy did not seem to improve any. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to use both my BB Pearl and my eTrex when caching (still beats making a bunch of printouts), but is there a way of getting better accuracy through the Geocache Navigator for a BB Pearl or is there an option to allow it to use the a stand alone bluetooth GPS device?

Thanks,

Dean

Give this a try. I just got it to work.

Pair your Bluetooth device with the BB Pearl. Once paired set trusted to YES.

Go to Options

Go to Advanced

Go to GPS

Under GPS Data Source, select the Holux device.

Make sure GPS Services has Location On

FYI, sometimes it takes a few seconds for Geocache Navigator to detect. In any event I was able to pair a BT device and use it as an alternate source. The Holux is as accurate as a handheld GPS. In general the GPS in the Pearl is not that bad, however, at times it can be a little noisy.

Good Luck,

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I have an AT&T Blackberry 8820, and about 2 weeks ago I downloaded a GeoCache Navigator trail (I thought), and tried it out. I had never done this before. Unfortunately, I have no clue where I downloaded it. I thought I got the link here or over on geocachenavigator.com, but I can't seem to find it.

Did something change? Where's the download link?

Patrick

I have an AT&T Blackberry 8820, and about 2 weeks ago I downloaded a GeoCache Navigator trail (I thought), and tried it out. I had never done this before. Unfortunately, I have no clue where I downloaded it. I thought I got the link here or over on geocachenavigator.com, but I can't seem to find it.

Did something change? Where's the download link?

Patrick

The easiest place to find it is at http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/rim. The latest version actualy has filtered finds as well (a much requested feature).

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Thanks for the quick reply. I followed your instructions and it seems to be working. I tried it on a cache close by my home. The accuracy seems much better using the Holux M-1000 compared to when I tried it before with just my BlackBerry GPS service. It still doesn't seem quite as good as my eTrex, as the range varied by about 20 feet when I was standing right next to the cache. It also seems like it takes longer to register my movements then the eTrex does. I will need to try it on a few more caches to get a better picture of whether I will be able to leave my eTrex at home when I go out caching.

I have another question. I signed up for the year subscription for Geocache Navigator, but I recently noticed the package deal that's available from Trimble that includes the AllSport and Outdoors software package. Is there a way to switch my subscription to the GPS Pack?

Thanks again,

Dean

Thanks for the quick reply. I followed your instructions and it seems to be working. I tried it on a cache close by my home. The accuracy seems much better using the Holux M-1000 compared to when I tried it before with just my BlackBerry GPS service. It still doesn't seem quite as good as my eTrex, as the range varied by about 20 feet when I was standing right next to the cache. It also seems like it takes longer to register my movements then the eTrex does. I will need to try it on a few more caches to get a better picture of whether I will be able to leave my eTrex at home when I go out caching.

I have another question. I signed up for the year subscription for Geocache Navigator, but I recently noticed the package deal that's available from Trimble that includes the AllSport and Outdoors software package. Is there a way to switch my subscription to the GPS Pack?

Thanks again,

Dean

I wish I could tell you that the GPS pack is available on Blackberry devices but it is not at this time.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Larry,

Thanks!

Larry

I spoke with Sprint at the end of the week. The device is in certification testing and should be on the deck in the best case within a few weeks (no promises though as we don't control the process).

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Just checking in to see if any new info is known about status of LG Rumor. I'm really wanting to purchase this phone, but want to make sure that GN will work with it. I've looked at a few of the other phones listed as "supported phones" on the trimble.com website. Don't really like the ones I could find and there are several that I can't even locate as being sold by Sprint. Just hoping that the Rumor will be in the list asap!

Edited by ncparolelady

Larry,

Thanks!

Larry

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Just checking in to see if any new info is known about status of LG Rumor. I'm really wanting to purchase this phone, but want to make sure that GN will work with it. I've looked at a few of the other phones listed as "supported phones" on the trimble.com website. Don't really like the ones I could find and there are several that I can't even locate as being sold by Sprint. Just hoping that the Rumor will be in the list asap!

Sprint is currently doing certification testing, still... Becuase of a few changes in the way the phones work, we have had to work with them a bit more. Good news is that we are still moving forward.

I wish I had a better answer but that is the status as of today. I will post on the forums once we have had movement.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I notice a lot of helpful advice on here and wanted to ask a newbie question. We like to use the gps in the phone i880 and the magellan that we have always used. But the coordinates the phone list to seem to work the same in the magellan. How do I change them? What is the correct form? Obviously I am pretty clueless about how these things work but I love having the phone and access to a hint if we need it out in the field.

Alicia

Newb question, so all appologies in advance.

Using the N95 and the Trimble software ... I am having location problems, basically the device won't lock a location closer than 200 feet with an accuracy of 150ish feet, this gives a fair amount of ground to cover, espcially for a neogeocacher. Is this just a limitation of the hardware I am using, basically do I need to splash out for a dedicated GPS.

Thanks

Bas

Using the N95 and the Trimble software ... I am having location problems, basically the device won't lock a location closer than 200 feet with an accuracy of 150ish feet, this gives a fair amount of ground to cover, espcially for a neogeocacher. Is this just a limitation of the hardware I am using, basically do I need to splash out for a dedicated GPS.

Thanks

Bas

You should not need a dedicated GPS. Under the settings tab do you have integrated GPS turned on?

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I notice a lot of helpful advice on here and wanted to ask a newbie question. We like to use the gps in the phone i880 and the magellan that we have always used. But the coordinates the phone list to seem to work the same in the magellan. How do I change them? What is the correct form? Obviously I am pretty clueless about how these things work but I love having the phone and access to a hint if we need it out in the field.

Alicia

Alicia,

Can you elaborate on the coordinates. Geocache Navigator has a way to display the coordinates in different formats. You can access this feature right from the settings menu. However, I have not really needed to ever do this. If you could add a bit more detail, maybe I can help answer your question more effectively.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Forgive me if any of the following sounds stupid---I'm trying to understand the whole "use the cell phone for more than just calls" thing. I am really wanting to find a phone that works with geocache navigator. However, the more I look, the more confused I get. And to add more confusion, I just read a post about using wap.geocaching.com. So, I guess my first question here is this: what's the difference between using geocache navigator versus using any web enabled phone to access geocaching.com through the wap interface?

Secondly, I use Sprint and I really want to make sure I purchase the best all around phone. I've looked at the following: LR Rumor, Samsung M520, Katana, Razr V3M, and Blackberry Pearl 8130. Some work with navigator already, others appear to be "still in testing". Can anyone give advice about any of those phones? Thanks so much!!

Thanks

Bas

You should not need a dedicated GPS. Under the settings tab do you have integrated GPS turned on?

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Under settings --> positioning, it hasAssisted GPS, Integrated GPS and Newtork Based all selected, do I need to turn some of these off ???

Cheers

Bas

Thanks

Bas

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Under settings --> positioning, it hasAssisted GPS, Integrated GPS and Newtork Based all selected, do I need to turn some of these off ???

Cheers

Bas

I would shut off network and possible experiment with disabling assisted as well. This may make your first acquisition take a bit longer (up to 2 minutes) but will guarantee you are working on the internal GPS.

Larry

Okay I am a super newbie and I apologize for my ignorance. I love using the cell phone for getting information in the field, but it is easier to find GZ location with the Magellan. The coordinates the phone lists are one number shorter and have no decimal than the format I put in the Magellan. They don't seem to work just right that way? Is there a different setting or something I should understand?

Your help is VERY appreciated.

Alicia

specific example GC12MQ9

the phone lists N 47 15 14 W 122 25 54

Groundspeak lists N 47° 15.246 W 122° 25.910

Okay I am a super newbie and I apologize for my ignorance. I love using the cell phone for getting information in the field, but it is easier to find GZ location with the Magellan. The coordinates the phone lists are one number shorter and have no decimal than the format I put in the Magellan. They don't seem to work just right that way? Is there a different setting or something I should understand?

Your help is VERY appreciated.

Alicia

specific example GC12MQ9

the phone lists N 47 15 14 W 122 25 54

Groundspeak lists N 47° 15.246 W 122° 25.910

Larry,

Thanks!

Larry

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Sprint is currently doing certification testing, still... Becuase of a few changes in the way the phones work, we have had to work with them a bit more. Good news is that we are still moving forward.

I wish I had a better answer but that is the status as of today. I will post on the forums once we have had movement.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

So I am assuming this is also the current status of the Samsung M520?

Thanks in advance,

I have had the same problem. I got it to almost download and then the 500 error came up. I called boost and they were rude, dispectful, oh and no help. They told me the softwhere did not exist. Please keep me updated on this problem. thanks

i have purchased a blackberry 8130 provider is sprint.....i have not been able to use geocache navigator

since iinstalling it over a month ago.....i have an ongoing trouble report with handmark...they cannot figure this out.....i have installed and deletee the applicaton at least 3 times....this is very frustrating....i gave up my M1 for this blackberry and it is nothing but trouble ....had a hard time with setting up email...drove to the sprint store..they told me to go home and call customer service....they were vey helpful...but cannot help me with geocache navigator(third Party ap).....any suggestions...im going crazy with this!!!!

thanks

akuhl1 :D

Haven't seen any updates in this thread for a while. Any news on the Samsung M520 or LG Rumor for Sprint? I'm specifically waiting to purchase a new phone based on whether navigator will work or not (on one of the models above).

I have sent a message into Sprint requesting a proposed launch date. Once I have something more concrete I will post the information in the forums.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Any idea if/when they might get this to work with the Sprint Motorola Q9c? It's not on the "list" of supported phones.

Thanks!

Currently we have not decided if Trimble is going to support WinMo devices. If that should change, we will add these devices to the supported list.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I am running Geocache Navigator on a Nokia N95, service provider Vodafone UK.

The program works perfectly and downloads and uploads through WIFI.

My only problem is when I try to upload/download with WAP all I get is the following:

An unexpected error occurred (GN1006)

If this problem persists please contact

support at 1-800-773-5996.

Details are

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException

does anyone know why upload/download will not work through WAP?

I am running Geocache Navigator on a Nokia N95, service provider Vodafone UK.

The program works perfectly and downloads and uploads through WIFI.

My only problem is when I try to upload/download with WAP all I get is the following:

An unexpected error occurred (GN1006)

If this problem persists please contact

support at 1-800-773-5996.

Details are

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException

does anyone know why upload/download will not work through WAP?

It would be really helpful if you could post this in the forums on the geocachenavigator.com web site. I ask this only because other people may benefit from the solution.

I will pass this off onto engineering and they may need to ask additional questions.

Stand by...

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Hi there -- I am wondering if anyone uses this with a pay as you go option with one of the supported carriers. I currently use Verizon, so that this is still not an option for me, correct? I would love to have the spontaneity available with the phone, but will probably not switch carriers for this alone.

Hi there -- I am wondering if anyone uses this with a pay as you go option with one of the supported carriers. I currently use Verizon, so that this is still not an option for me, correct? I would love to have the spontaneity available with the phone, but will probably not switch carriers for this alone.

Unfortunately Verizon is still not an option.

Larry