Geocaching with Mobile Phone (Geocache Navigator)

Jeremy

Any update on the M500? Leave it to me to pick up the one phone that doesn't use this already :cool:

We have ported to that phone but have had issues with the phone. I will bring it up in our engineering meeting to see where we are on it.

--Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I just put it on my Boost i415 and it's really neat. You can get the phone at Wal-Mart for $29.99 and it comes with $10 on the account so you can buy the application $6.99 and have enough left over for a week or so of data to use the application. (unlimited data is 35 cents per day)

I just put it on my Boost i415 and it's really neat. You can get the phone at Wal-Mart for $29.99 and it comes with $10 on the account so you can buy the application $6.99 and have enough left over for a week or so of data to use the application. (unlimited data is 35 cents per day)

Just an FYI, on Boost you should not have to buy the web plan for $0.35/day. Applications such as Geocache Navigator can get data access without the plan.

Just an FYI, on Boost you should not have to buy the web plan for $0.35/day. Applications such as Geocache Navigator can get data access without the plan.

Hi Larry, thanks for the info. For those who don't know Boost, you're only charged for data on days you use it. I use it to check my email and eBay listings so the .35 is deducted almost every day.

I do find the GPS updates more slowly than my GPSMAP 60csx, though. But it's usable and less than 1/10 the price.

I am using the trimble software on my new Sanyo Katana 6600. I bought the phone so I could use the application. So far, I'm not as excited as other users, but I will keep trying. I guess it's so slow compared to a traditional GPS and PDA setup--But for sure the flexibility is the selling point.

One minor issue that's kind of major for an old guy like me. I have been able to adjust the fnt size on every aspect of my phone EXCEPT applications. I can not figure out how to get it away from the tiny type. Anyone have any tips? I changed the browser font size, phone font size, and every font setting I could find--but I could not find anything within the Trimble application or on the Sprint Katana's settings pertaining to font size within applications. any tips for aging eyes would be most apperciated.

-Captain Max-

So about 6 weeks ago I email and asked about the Samsung M500. I got back a very nice email explaining that they where currently testing it and should know if they where rolling with it with in 2 weeks. I thought great....I let 3 weeks go by and emailed back the lady that had responded to me to see how testing went. After no responce in one week I emailed again. Still todate 3 weeks after second inquire I still have had no responce from GC. Does anyone on here know a status on M500.

The m500 had some issues that have been difficult to resolve. I can say this, we are actively working on this phone right now. I appreciate your patience and understanding as there are times when a particular phone model poses certain technical issues.

anything on this again....

...we do an update, we will provide a new option to filter previous finds

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I may be too late to offer my request for features and of course, someone else may have made the same requests. I have recently posted these suggestions at the Trimble Forums and now see that this is the better forum to make such posts. The following is a slightly edited version of that post and I hope that there is no confusion.

1. Change the order of the menu options on the Map Menu. Currently it takes seven clicks to show the street map once the Map screen is displayed. Actually this item could be addressed on most Menu screens. When switching between screens users are more likely to be looking for information than wanting to post a Found or Not Found log.

2. All settings in the Search Filter function need to be stored as user preferred settings. Users should not have to restore their preferences whenever the app crashes or as they change between the phone functions. This needs immediate attention and has to be among the easier to implement.

3. Names for Manually Entered waypoints should auto-increment. And the information should be stored on the handheld device or transferable to prevent accidental loss.

4. The Maps screen needs a Menu option to show the entire result of the last query - that is, the position of all of the nearby caches should be overlaid on a street map at once allowing for better route planning to clustered caches. Currently the action requires at least seven clicks per item in the result list and a pretty good memory.

5. Map backgrounds should be stored on the phone and when possible stored on any available external memory. Users should be able to limit the allotted storage space and from that point, older images are overwritten first. It appears that a very restrictive version of that is already implemented. Street maps are most important and topo’s are more important than aerial photos.

6. Baring the on-line “Found” determination, consider storing a user editable file to reflect status of caches.

6a. Certainly the results of active or recent sessions can be stored, even if only for the day; the icon of those logged (found/unfound) should be appear differently and recently/today's logged caches should be filterable.

6b. Most geocachers load their handheld gps’r using a computer based program (GSAK, etc). By storing the same user file in a designated folder on the handset, perhaps the “Found” status could be retrieved from that information.

There is a website, http://www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com/ where users can upload their personal query and that file contains all of the user’s geo-history. The query comes from geocaching.com and is available for download only once a week, I believe that weekly data is recent enough to address the “Found” issue in a cache saturated area.

6c. To address delay problems when the scanning for Finds within extremely large user files, if a user file is implemented, provide a Menu option to deselect the function.

------

I have the Sprint SCP-8400 handset. Clearly this is the best all round “smart phone” available Sprint and I went with Sprint specifically for this application. The $25 data plan includes the free Sprint Navigator for driving instructions.

Upon receiving a "new cache alert" on the phone, I can get the desired cache info from Geocache Navigator using the gc waymark, ie. GC13675. that came within the alert. I have not determined a reasonable method to the get the street level information (re: street intersection) so I can insert it into the Sprint Navigator for turn-by-turn instructions to the area of the cache. Anyone?

Hello Larry and Jeremy,

I have been using the geocaching navigator for 8 months.

Would it be possible to add the posted date for Event Caches? I tried to pull up event caches while at the MidwestGeoBash and it gives me the coords and waypoint name, but not the date for the event.

This issue also exists when using wap.geocaching.com

Thanks! - Will

Any word on the ic402 /502 phone that use both Sprint and Nextel networks?

The "ic" phones have had a number of small issues that are close to being addressed. Trimble is still testing these phones with hopes of releasing product on them. However, there is still no target for release at this time. I would suggest pinging me in a few weeks for an update.

--L

Attention:

There have been NO updates to address "easy of use" or much needed features issues that I posted earlier.

I chose Sprint because of this software and have regretted that decision almost daily.

I will discontinue paying Sprint until Trimble Outdoors addresses at least one of my earlier posted issued.

I cannot recommend this software to anyone and will actively post negative comments in forums requesting comments.

Hi everyone.

Trimble is pleased to announce a 30 day free trial of Geocache Navigator for the 8800, 8820, and 8310 Curve GSM Blackberry Smart phone devices. If you are interested in trying this application on your Blackberry, you can download it at http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/rim. For the first time, geocachers using T-Mobile and AT&T in the US will be able to try Geocache Navigator on these Blackberry handhelds. International geocachers will also be able to try Geocache Navigator with some limited functionality; right now it’s only in English, you may see some issues with the address search, and only street mapping is available. However, the most popular 'Quick Cache' feature is fully functional for international users. If you are an international geocacher be sure to tell us what's good and what's bad about the application so we can make the international experience better.

We are continuing to work on adding additional GPS phones and carriers to the supported phones list. And we also appreciate the great feedback on new features to make the application even better. Look for some additional cool new phones before the end of the year and look for some cool new features (like the infamous filtering of past finds and better font support) early next year. We appreciate your patience while we continue to improve the product - GPS phones and cell carriers are quite complex to work with and the process is slower than we would like.

BTW - the GPS performance in these new Blackberry units is quite impressive. The GPS chip is the SiRFStar III that is found in the newer conventional GPS units. You Blackberry users are in for treat. Lastly, you can also try our other Trimble Blackberry applications for free like Allsport GPS for monitoring fitness and Trimble Outdoors for off-road waypoint navigation.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I just bought a Boost i415 this evening and activated it. I see where I can downlaod the application, but there is an error message when I try to download it.

Boost says give it 24 hours then try again.

1) Do I need web access to download the app?

2) While using the app, what fees am I being charged for?

3) No question. Kudos to Trimble. I saw this in action at our CITO events this past weekend and I couldn't wait to get one for myself. :lol: Help me make it work!

LCL

I just bought a Boost i415 this evening and activated it. I see where I can downlaod the application, but there is an error message when I try to download it.

Boost says give it 24 hours then try again.

1) Do I need web access to download the app?

2) While using the app, what fees am I being charged for?

3) No question. Kudos to Trimble. I saw this in action at our CITO events this past weekend and I couldn't wait to get one for myself. :lol: Help me make it work!

LCL

You should not need web access to download the application.

There are also no fees as Boost does not monitor traffic for pure data. As long as your account is up to date (voice plan) you are fine.

If for any reason you cannot get this to work, please call our support line at -800-773-5996. Should that still not reolve the issue, I have additional means to escalate the problem.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

To good to be true.

I bought the Boost i415 pay as you go same as a user in this thread. Activation was easy, waited 24 hours for all services to become available, downloaded the app, and I was up and running in a matter of minutes. I do need to establish a link to my GC account. If testing is successful, I will search out a better phone with a larger screen.

I am waiting for that, ah ha, moment when things go awry. As of this posting, I am impressed with the technology and ease of use.

I am going to put it through its paces this weekend. Who knows, you may see a PDA and a GPSr for sale on ebay this time next week.

Thanks Trimble Outdoors

To good to be true.

I bought the Boost i415 pay as you go same as a user in this thread. Activation was easy, waited 24 hours for all services to become available, downloaded the app, and I was up and running in a matter of minutes. I do need to establish a link to my GC account. If testing is successful, I will search out a better phone with a larger screen.

I am waiting for that, ah ha, moment when things go awry. As of this posting, I am impressed with the technology and ease of use.

I am going to put it through its paces this weekend. Who knows, you may see a PDA and a GPSr for sale on ebay this time next week.

Thanks Trimble Outdoors

FWIW, Boost makes an i855 which is a pretty decent phone (my 11 and 13 year olds use these). They Started with an i415 and an i450. Both worked very well.

A little hint, since you have a small screen, I would suggest you use the full screen mode (press the # key to toggle). This helps a lot for phones such as the i415.

-- Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

This work for the MotoRazr 2 V9m phone?

There are a number of carriers that have that device and I would say it is pretty attractive. We are constantly porting to other phone models but are sometimes limited by the wireless carrier. As any new device makes it through production and onto the carrer deck, we will anounce it here in the forums along with on the geocachenavigator.com web site.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I'm trying to get something that will work with the BB Curve in New Zealand...will this program work?

Cheers

The GSM BB Curve (with GPS) should work fine in New Zealand. If you have one of these devices you can download the trial off of the Trimble Outdoors web site for free.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do for the non-GPS Pearl devices, however, for you Blackberry Pearl fans....Sprint just released a new Pearl (8130) that has internal GPS and we have built a new version of Geocache Navigator runs on that device. It will be released to the public in the next few weeks so check on the Trimble Outdoors web site for news. I've been playing with the Sprint GPS Pearl enough now that I can almost deal with the truncated keypad :( It's a really nice device.

Rich at Trimble

Hi everyone.

Trimble is pleased to announce a 30 day free trial of Geocache Navigator for the 8800, 8820, and 8310 Curve GSM Blackberry Smart phone devices.

I assume that the EDGE-based non-internal GPS Blackberry Pearls are out of luck? Any future support hope there?

Trimble is pleased to announce a 30 day free trial of Geocache Navigator for the 8800, 8820, and 8310 Curve GSM Blackberry Smart phone devices. For the first time, geocachers using T-Mobile and AT&T in the US will be able to try Geocache Navigator on these Blackberry handhelds.

Anyone using this on their BB 8310 with AT&T? Do you like it? I'm seriously thnking of getting one of these as I need to upgrade my current phone.

Trimble is pleased to announce a 30 day free trial of Geocache Navigator for the 8800, 8820, and 8310 Curve GSM Blackberry Smart phone devices. For the first time, geocachers using T-Mobile and AT&T in the US will be able to try Geocache Navigator on these Blackberry handhelds.

Anyone using this on their BB 8310 with AT&T? Do you like it? I'm seriously thnking of getting one of these as I need to upgrade my current phone.

I've used the AT&T Curve and it works really well. The GPS performance is extremely good in that device since it uses the SiRFStar III chip, the same chip used by new Garmin units. A lot of people have downloaded the Curve free trial too and the feedback to us has been good. Here are a couple of ideas though for you to run a test:

1 - Most carriers these days offer a 15 day exchange policy on phones. Check with AT&T to be sure they do too. That way you can try out Geocache Navigator (and other Curve features) before you are committed to the Curve.

2 - Email or call Trimble Outdoors support at Trimble Outdoors Support Info and we'll send you one of our Curve units for you to try for a few days. :)

Rich at Trimble

I've been using the BB 8310 with the Geocache Navigator trial for almost 2 weeks now and I LOVE IT! It seems to work very well and loads fairly quickly as long as you have a good EDGE signal to download the info, maps, etc. I've found many caches this weekend with it and will continue to use it after my 30 day trial expires! Thanks Trimble for this app. It made my BB purchase definitely worth it. And right now AT&T was offering the 8310 for $99.99.

I got it installed on my Sprint Sanyo 8400 with no problems at all. Its really cool just to pull up a listing of caches right near my area while I'm out with out having to go home and do a PQ or use the WAP interface.. WOOT! maybe I'll get to a hundred finds by end of year finally!

Hello, I have been a sprint customer for over 4 years and ready to upgrade. I have a smart phone so I can receive my outlook email through activesynch whereever I am located. I went to the sprint store (not an authorized reseller store) and loaded the app on a demo phone Sanyo 8400 and it was Slick! I tried it on the razr and krzr and the App is not listed when you go to downloads/get new content/applications the Geocaching Navigator only appears on the sanyo phone. :P

I am going to buy a used Sanyo MM 7400 so I don't have to sign another 2year agreement and sell my smartphone.

This single solution will be much better than walking around with my old palm m505 with gps, my garmin rino 110, my samsung sp-i600 smartphone with Internet explorer and Ms Streets and Trips (too many gadgets for urban caching).

Someone may want to verify or see if they can pull the geocache navigator application to their razr. It would be nice if the smart phones had the app, but they don't get the sprint wap apps.

Cluemasterz - Metro Detroit Michigan

I use the GN on my Nextel i560, I only have one problem with it. It seems that the GPS on the phone doesn't update alot. I can be 30ft from a cache and walk 50ft and it doesn't even recognize it will still say 30ft ahead. Anybody had this problem? Or is this just a problem with this model phone?

So I just use the GN to get the info and everything else and I punch it into my Garmin eTrex and have much better results.

I'll share what we did...I hinted to my wife that I would like a Boost pre-paid Motorola I425 cell for Christmas. She found one at Best Buy for $18.99 on sale. I put $20.00 on it and downloaded the Geocache Navigator. I used it as a test on a few caches that I knew the locations on, and found that it worked great, but the bearings get a little loose when you get really close.

I already use the Garmin Etrex, and have a Palm m510 with a Magellan GPS attached to it, but it's still really cool to just whip out my cell and press a few buttons to find the closest cache to where I am. It was also the cheapest GPS of the three. $40 and we were up and hunting. :unsure:

I strongly recommend this for people who want to give caching a try and are looking for a low-cost alternative to get started.

I'll share what we did...I hinted to my wife that I would like a Boost pre-paid Motorola I425 cell for Christmas. She found one at Best Buy for $18.99 on sale. I put $20.00 on it and downloaded the Geocache Navigator. I used it as a test on a few caches that I knew the locations on, and found that it worked great, but the bearings get a little loose when you get really close.

I already use the Garmin Etrex, and have a Palm m510 with a Magellan GPS attached to it, but it's still really cool to just whip out my cell and press a few buttons to find the closest cache to where I am. It was also the cheapest GPS of the three. $40 and we were up and hunting. B)

I strongly recommend this for people who want to give caching a try and are looking for a low-cost alternative to get started.

Just a quick FYI to those who buy Boost phones. One real upside is that you don't need a data plan with Boost. If you do what I do with my kids (who have Boost phones) you simply recharge the thing every 2 - 3 months and they are good to go. Pretty inexpensive device if the kids don't burn through their $15 of prepaid.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I got it installed on my Sprint Sanyo 8400 with no problems at all. Its really cool just to pull up a listing of caches right near my area while I'm out with out having to go home and do a PQ or use the WAP interface.. WOOT! maybe I'll get to a hundred finds by end of year finally!

Hello, I have been a sprint customer for over 4 years and ready to upgrade. I have a smart phone so I can receive my outlook email through activesynch whereever I am located. I went to the sprint store (not an authorized reseller store) and loaded the app on a demo phone Sanyo 8400 and it was Slick! I tried it on the razr and krzr and the App is not listed when you go to downloads/get new content/applications the Geocaching Navigator only appears on the sanyo phone. :)

I am going to buy a used Sanyo MM 7400 so I don't have to sign another 2year agreement and sell my smartphone.

This single solution will be much better than walking around with my old palm m505 with gps, my garmin rino 110, my samsung sp-i600 smartphone with Internet explorer and Ms Streets and Trips (too many gadgets for urban caching).

Someone may want to verify or see if they can pull the geocache navigator application to their razr. It would be nice if the smart phones had the app, but they don't get the sprint wap apps.

Cluemasterz - Metro Detroit Michigan

I just pulled up a RAZR today and it is on the deck. From the phone:

1) Select My Content

2) Select Applications

3) Select Get New

4) On the sprint deck choose option 3 GPS, Navigation, Search & More

5) Select Fitness & Activity GPS

Please let me know if you have any issues.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)\

Are there going to be any other phones on the AT&T network that will work with this program?

Unfortunately, AT&T does not have any standard handsets that have built-in GPS. We are only supporting the Blackberry devices with GPS (which are quite good). Over time we hope the GSM carriers will integrate GPS into regular handsets, but at this point there is no timeframe.

Larry (Trimble OUtdoors)

Are there going to be any other phones on the AT&T network that will work with this program?

Unfortunately, AT&T does not have any standard handsets that have built-in GPS. We are only supporting the Blackberry devices with GPS (which are quite good). Over time we hope the GSM carriers will integrate GPS into regular handsets, but at this point there is no timeframe.

Larry (Trimble OUtdoors)

That's kind of what I figured. I'm definitely going with a blackberry. Thanks!

Any update on the "filter out finds" upgrade?

I've let my Boost phoen expire since I cache heavily in my home area and when I want to use this to grab a quick one it just pulls up everything that I've already found.

Filtered finds is the number 1 upgrade we are seeking to build into the next version. I don't have a firm date at this time for an upgrade though. I will keep eveyone posted once more is known.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

I sure am glad all you beta testers out there are working out the bugs for us Verizon slugs! By the time we get access to Geocaching by phone (or my two year plan finally runs out and I SWITCH CARRIERS!) this should be a nearly flawless system. Thanks for all your hard work, patience, and input.

Will GN work with the Blackberry Pearl & Curve from AT&T? I've just heard about this and am looking to get a BB and might as well go paperless with the caching so we might have some more trees to hide them behind. Also, wanted to say thanks to the Trimble folks for their hardwork in replying to all the posts and helping keeping us informed.

Will GN work with the Blackberry Pearl & Curve from AT&T? I've just heard about this and am looking to get a BB and might as well go paperless with the caching so we might have some more trees to hide them behind. Also, wanted to say thanks to the Trimble folks for their hardwork in replying to all the posts and helping keeping us informed.

Trimble supports the Curve from AT&T as the device has GPS built in. I have tried a Pearl without GPS and a bluetooth device. It appears to work but is not officially supported. I carry an AT&T Curve and I must say that I really like the device. Given that I try Geocaching with just about every phone possible, this one is at the top of my list.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Trimble supports the Curve from AT&T as the device has GPS built in. I have tried a Pearl without GPS and a bluetooth device. It appears to work but is not officially supported. I carry an AT&T Curve and I must say that I really like the device. Given that I try Geocaching with just about every phone possible, this one is at the top of my list.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Thanks Larry.

Ok, Next question....

The only companies in this area are Verison and Union. Union says they don't carry and don't plan to carry any GPS enabled phones. Verison doesn't support Geocache Navigator. I like union and I have a Razr v3. My contract is up and I'd like a PDA style smartphone or a Blackberry which they have neither of.

If I switch to Verison and get a pda style phone or blackberry will that phone be compatable with Geocach Navigator if Verison ever gets their act together?

Thats the question. I'm having a hard time justifying buying a new phone or switching companies even with Geocache Navigator but I'm asking the questions anyhow.

Jake81499

Edited by Jake81499

Ok, Next question....

The only companies in this area are Verison and Union. Union says they don't carry and don't plan to carry any GPS enabled phones. Verison doesn't support Geocache Navigator. I like union and I have a Razr v3. My contract is up and I'd like a PDA style smartphone or a Blackberry which they have neither of.

If I switch to Verison and get a pda style phone or blackberry will that phone be compatable with Geocach Navigator if Verison ever gets their act together?

Thats the question. I'm having a hard time justifying buying a new phone or switching companies even with Geocache Navigator but I'm asking the questions anyhow.

Jake81499

I think you have defined one of the real issues we face with wireless carriers throught the nation. If a carrier doesn't plan to have GPS enabled phones there is not much we can do. There are hybrid solutions we have tested but nothing has been productized. A hybrid requires you to carry a small bluetooth GPS reciever. It seems that the reception is warm to this idea.

Verizon is a very privacy-centric company. Although their Blackberry device is capable of GPS it is locked down. I can say that as a company we would like to be able to use the GPS but I cannot commit to any timeframe.

The industry is so dynamic and I must admit I never discuss future products as Trimble does not promote "vaporware." So, the long and short is that this is what we have to offer today. Keep your eyes on the forums though as I will announce the availability of any new products as soon as they become commercially available.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Any update on the "filter out finds" upgrade?

I've let my Boost phoen expire since I cache heavily in my home area and when I want to use this to grab a quick one it just pulls up everything that I've already found.

Filtered finds is the number 1 upgrade we are seeking to build into the next version. I don't have a firm date at this time for an upgrade though. I will keep eveyone posted once more is known.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

At this piont, that is what I wouold like to see changed too. So will current users be elligible for the upgrades? I just don't want to pay for a year and not get updates.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Just chiming in ... I have a Blackberry 8310 (Curve with GPSr) from AT&T (Cingular) running GN and it works like a champ!

I am up and running with Sprint Mogul rev 3.16 "A" and google maps is running real sweet, tracks my movements and seems to be really accurate and quick lock on satelites.

So keep in mind most Moguls are still locked down and not gps enabled at this point now to get the gps software...if only it were available.

Edited by rambrush

I added this app to my Nextel i870 this past Sunday for a quick cache before the all stars game. I love it! The only issue is if my battery is low or the sky is too cloudy for a GPS fix, then its tough to get my list of caches. It is really great to not have to plan my caches, just go! :lol: I have a Megellan (yup!) that my team, team Mjolnir, calls my 'big gold brick' which I love too, but having all the features of this software on my cell almost does away with 'the brick'. Has anyone used this to place a cache yet? If so how did you find your accuracy of your averages to be? I'm gearing up to place my first Georgia cache.

I have a Blackberry 8830 and I installed Geocache Navigator on it about 2 weeks ago. It seemed to work really good right off the bat, but now it is having serious issues getting a satellite signal. I am pretty sure it isn't my BB because I can use the Blackberry Maps application and that always seems to get a signal. As a matter of fact, the Maps application gets a signal in about 30 seconds every time. If I close it, and open GN in the exact same location (very clear sky area) it will sit for 5 minutes and not get even a weak signal at all.

I tried un-installing and re-installing the software on my BB. For the first 3 minutes it worked great again, then the GPS signal went totally dead again. I have sent an email to Trimble Support about my problem.

When it was working, I really liked it. It was great!