Geocaching with Mobile Phone (Geocache Navigator)

Jeremy

I have the samsung a900m, and sespite my calls and emails, I continue to get blown off. Alwhough It seemed close at one point, nothing has happened. My question is, I'm pretty sure the a900m has an open GPS library, unlike the a900, apparently, this is either incorrect, or someone is unaware. May I please beta a copy in any resolution, at this point, I want anything, I don't even care if it fills my screen! I just hate getting my phone and my friends GPS out together to read a cache log and update the GPS. Please, anything. I would gladly ay for this app if it were available to me. This is a good beta oportunity too, right? :anitongue:

-Landon

We have discussed the a900M with Sprint and they tell us that the 'M' version definitely does not fix the GPS problem that the original a900 had. The phone seems to get the first assisted GPS fix but cannot get any further GPS fixes in track mode. I'll see if we can prepare a test version for you to try next week. We definitely want the feedback. Keep in mind that this test version is likely to be pretty 'rough' around the edges but we are difinitely interested in if the GPS will work.

Thanks for the post! :anitongue:

Rich at Trimble

We have discussed the a900M with Sprint and they tell us that the 'M' version definitely does not fix the GPS problem that the original a900 had. The phone seems to get the first assisted GPS fix but cannot get any further GPS fixes in track mode. I'll see if we can prepare a test version for you to try next week. We definitely want the feedback. Keep in mind that this test version is likely to be pretty 'rough' around the edges but we are difinitely interested in if the GPS will work.

Thanks for the post! ;)

Rich at Trimble

Thank you for your reply and willingness to help! It's truly welcomed! So from what I read, the worst case scenario is the GPS will be innacurate, correct? I don't mind that, It's better than what I have to put up with currently! I may switch my phone out though, what is, in your opinion, your favorite GeoNav capable Sprint phone? My peeves on the a900m are the 160 character texting, and I prefer the RAZR (had one with tmobile) interface to T9. Other than that, the flash is much appreciated, and I like the swiveling camera and external display. I must have PowerVision though. I'll have to look into the V3m more, I wish they had a black one ;) the m610 is supposedly really nice, but the outer display is a huge turn-off to me. Thanks again! Hope to get some input!

-Landon

Thanks for the post! :anitongue:

Rich at Trimble

Thank you for your reply and willingness to help! It's truly welcomed! So from what I read, the worst case scenario is the GPS will be innacurate, correct? I don't mind that, It's better than what I have to put up with currently! I may switch my phone out though, what is, in your opinion, your favorite GeoNav capable Sprint phone? My peeves on the a900m are the 160 character texting, and I prefer the RAZR (had one with tmobile) interface to T9. Other than that, the flash is much appreciated, and I like the swiveling camera and external display. I must have PowerVision though. I'll have to look into the V3m more, I wish they had a black one ;) the m610 is supposedly really nice, but the outer display is a huge turn-off to me. Thanks again! Hope to get some input!

-Landon

I don't think the GPS accuracy on the a900 is the problem. You simply can only get one fix (the first one) so if you move the GPS position will not update. The RAZR is a great GPS phone. The new Motorola KRZR is also very slick. I would get the KRZR if you care about playing music on the phone and the RAZR if not. The Katana is also a great GPS phone and it has the 320 x 240 res display that the a900 does. The Katana is the most popular phone for Geocache Navigator right now. The Fusic is also a great GPS phone and it has an internal FM transmitter so the music in your phone can blast through your car stereo speakers. There are actually quite a few good GPS phone options now with both Sprint and Nextel.

I don't think the GPS accuracy on the a900 is the problem. You simply can only get one fix (the first one) so if you move the GPS position will not update. The RAZR is a great GPS phone. The new Motorola KRZR is also very slick. I would get the KRZR if you care about playing music on the phone and the RAZR if not. The Katana is also a great GPS phone and it has the 320 x 240 res display that the a900 does. The Katana is the most popular phone for Geocache Navigator right now. The Fusic is also a great GPS phone and it has an internal FM transmitter so the music in your phone can blast through your car stereo speakers. There are actually quite a few good GPS phone options now with both Sprint and Nextel.

I want a big screen for sure. From what I understand though, the Katana isn't powervision, so that won't do. Are the RAZR and KRZR lower resolution? that won't do either.. that's a bummer! lol. Too bad sprint has to BS third party developers, because I like my a900m a bit. Their Telenav works fine, turn by turn, it worked using versions from other phones for a while now. Not on the a900, but the a900m worked fine. It's pretty lame if you ask me.. I'll be glad to see how the test you provide me with works out. If nothing else, I can at least look up the cache on my phone and log and everything without wating for the site to load! Did they mention why it won't work? I mean, if I restart the app, will it read in new cordinates? If so, I'm assuming it would be because it closes the existing satellite link? could you loop it open and closed in a certain "tracking mode"? I've been programming for about four years, but I don't know anything about GPS links and the like, so sorry if I sound like i'm trying to fix a concept far out of my grasp.

for reference, Trimble Navigation Silver V.2.6.21 shows position change, although someone reported it doesn't stand still on their m9000, I was showing movement of about 100' or so while walking from front yard to back. It said acquiring satellites a couple times, but cnagged them pretty fast and updated, although it did seem to have a lag, it seemed to work. I'll go driving with it tomorrow and find out for sure.

for reference, Trimble Navigation Silver V.2.6.21 shows position change, although someone reported it doesn't stand still on their m9000, I was showing movement of about 100' or so while walking from front yard to back. It said acquiring satellites a couple times, but cnagged them pretty fast and updated, although it did seem to have a lag, it seemed to work. I'll go driving with it tomorrow and find out for sure.

If Trimble Outdoors or Telenav works then we can make Geocache Navigator work. I'm really intrigued now to have you check it out for us. You're right about the Katana - its only a Vision phone....not Power Vision. By the way, some of the new phones are 320x240 display res and Power Vision including the M1, M610, and 8400. The Sanyo 8400 is available with Geocache Navigator right now and we are working on getting the app to run on the M1 and M610 - should only be about three weeks before its released for the M1 and M610.

I just loaded the software to my new Nextel I 580 phone and it works great. My only question is there some way to filter out my finds when doing a cache search. In NH I have found many caches and do not always remember ( OK mostly always do not remember!!) the names and if I have already found them. In a new area this would not be important.

I just loaded the software to my new Nextel I 580 phone and it works great. My only question is there some way to filter out my finds when doing a cache search. In NH I have found many caches and do not always remember ( OK mostly always do not remember!!) the names and if I have already found them. In a new area this would not be important.

That particular feature seems to be the number 1 request. It is clear on our end that once we do an update, we will provide a new option to filter previous finds.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

That particular feature seems to be the number 1 request. It is clear on our end that once we do an update, we will provide a new option to filter previous finds.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

WooHoo, that would make me very happy. It already a great application, love using it on my Katana.

If Trimble Outdoors or Telenav works then we can make Geocache Navigator work. I'm really intrigued now to have you check it out for us. You're right about the Katana - its only a Vision phone....not Power Vision. By the way, some of the new phones are 320x240 display res and Power Vision including the M1, M610, and 8400. The Sanyo 8400 is available with Geocache Navigator right now and we are working on getting the app to run on the M1 and M610 - should only be about three weeks before its released for the M1 and M610.

Yeah, the M610 has that.. bland outer display though. I dunno, just not as flashy. lol. The 8400 is a bit large for my taste, as is the M1. The m1 sounds pretty nice though, I want to get a hands-on look at it, no shops around here have it yet though :unsure:. Does te M610 have a memory slot? That'd be nice.

Yeah, the M610 has that.. bland outer display though. I dunno, just not as flashy. lol. The 8400 is a bit large for my taste, as is the M1. The m1 sounds pretty nice though, I want to get a hands-on look at it, no shops around here have it yet though :rolleyes:. Does te M610 have a memory slot? That'd be nice.

I just got an M610 and we are loading a test version of Geocache Navigator on it now. Yes it does have a memory slot. Just a side bar here, I don't care for the small outer display but it is really very readable at night. The primary display is quite incredible. If I were using this device as a phone only, I really like it.

Assuming all goes well with testing we will submit it for certification soon.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

Nextel just came out with a new hybrid phone that seems cool I hope the geo nav will work with it because it is one cool phone it uses the sprint network for phone voice/web and the nextel network for direct connect, it is "the blend ic402 powersource" and "the buzz ic502 powersource" cool stuff.

Are Boost and Nextel the same company? I want to start shopping for a compatible phone, and I do not follow this market. I have a plan with Nextel so I guess it would be easiest to buy a new phone and stay with them.

Anyways, the chart on compatible models says that the listed Boost "Nextel" models will work with this application. I want to have the right list of phones with me when I go to the mall and talk to the gum-chewing teenager in the kiosk.

Just loaded and used it with my Sanyo Katana today and couldn't be happier. Great resolution, lightning fast hook-up, and I love not having to leave the house with a folder full of paper! It would be nice to be able to filter out finds, but that's a minor complaint. Another cool feature is if you close the phone, the navigator arrow and distance are displayed on the sub-LCD screen. Walked side-by-side with my wife who had the Garmin and it was dead on. I would definitely recommend this.

It's also nice to have topo maps and aerials available, too.

Just loaded and used it with my Sanyo Katana today and couldn't be happier. Great resolution, lightning fast hook-up, and I love not having to leave the house with a folder full of paper! It would be nice to be able to filter out finds, but that's a minor complaint. Another cool feature is if you close the phone, the navigator arrow and distance are displayed on the sub-LCD screen. Walked side-by-side with my wife who had the Garmin and it was dead on. I would definitely recommend this.

It's also nice to have topo maps and aerials available, too.

i'm super stoked now! can't wait to get my trial going!

Been using this application more and more. If you are looking for suggestions for improvement here are two:

1.Would like to see the phone logs listed in order in which they were marked as found.

OR

2. Would love to see a time stamp added to the phone logs list.

I log my geocaches in order visited. This works fine on my Garmin 60CSX GPSr because I can look at the track log and remember my journey. I am a very visual person and this helps me remember caches even if I am with a group and find 50+ in a day. Unfortunately when I use my phone to cache, no track log exists and there is no time stamp. I just found 9 earlier today and without the track listing or time, I forgot the order in which they were found.

Thanks for consdering this! Otherwise the application works great! I even like the fact that it does not filter out finds!

LSUMonica

Hey, just letting you know I'm still waiting! I'd really like to get this app, it's been two weeks, I'm getting very anxious. lol.

Sorry for the delay - we are trying this on the a900M ourselves to see what happens. Hope to have some results to share (and something for you to try out) next week. :blink:

Rich at Trimble

Hey, just letting you know I'm still waiting! I'd really like to get this app, it's been two weeks, I'm getting very anxious. lol.

Quick update on the m610. It appears there are some minor issues with the phone that we will need to address. For the most part everything works fine but putting out anything that doesn't meet our full internal testing can't happen.

--Larry (Trimble Outdoors)

OK I use and love it on my i870... Now I am using my Treo 700p alot... I use telnav on it with a bluetooth GPS puck. Any thougths on going with a Treo version?

From what I understand one would have to install a JVM on the Treo and then our app (after we bluetooth enabled it). Conceptually it would be nice to be on the Palm devices. Unfortunatley there isn't a plan at this time to move forward.

OK I use and love it on my i870... Now I am using my Treo 700p alot... I use telnav on it with a bluetooth GPS puck. Any thougths on going with a Treo version?

From what I understand one would have to install a JVM on the Treo and then our app (after we bluetooth enabled it). Conceptually it would be nice to be on the Palm devices. Unfortunatley there isn't a plan at this time to move forward.

I agree - I think they would benefit greatly by having a program available for Palm Treo phones - I'd use it.

I gave this program a decent workout while on my current vacation. One issue I ran into: if I accidently mark a cache found (or log it in anyway from the phone), how can I remove it from my log list? The only way I could get them off the list was to log them online thru the link and then delete the log.

I gave this program a decent workout while on my current vacation. One issue I ran into: if I accidently mark a cache found (or log it in anyway from the phone), how can I remove it from my log list? The only way I could get them off the list was to log them online thru the link and then delete the log.

I noticed that, as well. When I first was playing with the application, I marked a couple as found. Later, after I'd already logged them online, I synced the phone account with my online account.

I did the same thing and logged again, then deleted the duplicate. It would be good to have an option to delete from the list without logging.

Any timeline yet on the ability to filter out caches already found?

Anniebananie

Clearly filtering caches is the number one change that will go out in the next release. Unfortunately there is no easy way to release minor product upgrades. We are trying to collect a complete feature set for the next release. When the existing phones go into recertification, I will post a notice.

The press release says this is for Boost too? It's definately not on the Boost Apps list (http://booststore.cellmania.com/boostwebapp/applications.do). Even though Boost has the same network and phones as Nextel, there's currently no way to get this app on my phone, which is a real bummer, because my phone is my only geocaching device.

Up until now I've actually found caches by making my phone spit out GPS coordinates and use a handheld compass to figure out which direction I need to go... needless to say I would really LOVE to have this app.

I shot an e-mail to the developers early today, but still no response. This looks really great--please get it on Boost soon!

The press release says this is for Boost too? It's definately not on the Boost Apps list (http://booststore.cellmania.com/boostwebapp/applications.do). Even though Boost has the same network and phones as Nextel, there's currently no way to get this app on my phone, which is a real bummer, because my phone is my only geocaching device.

Up until now I've actually found caches by making my phone spit out GPS coordinates and use a handheld compass to figure out which direction I need to go... needless to say I would really LOVE to have this app.

I shot an e-mail to the developers early today, but still no response. This looks really great--please get it on Boost soon!

The Geocache Navigator application has been submitted to boost. It is just taking a long time to get it pushed onto the deck. Trimble will announce once it becomes available.

My company just bought be a Blackberry Pearl (Cingular), and with the color screen, GPS, and Maps I can't tell you how frustrated I am to not have GN on it!

Given that I can download applications straight to the phone, is there any chance of a version of GN that doesn't require carrier billing? Can we either buy a perpetual license or could Trimble bill directly?

I know I'd pay to be able to get it...

Any word on if GN works with the new hybrid phones from nextel?? ic402 & ic502

Trimble actively seeks to port the Geocache Navigator application to every phone that is capable of running Geocache Navigator. Some phones present more challenges than others. As a matter of course we do not announce any new phones until they have passed certification as Trimble does not want to potential users to have unmet expectations. A few days ago we released on the i710 and the i880. I will personally post when any new phone has passed certification in addition to the Geocache Navigator web site.

So about 6 weeks ago I email and asked about the Samsung M500. I got back a very nice email explaining that they where currently testing it and should know if they where rolling with it with in 2 weeks. I thought great....I let 3 weeks go by and emailed back the lady that had responded to me to see how testing went. After no responce in one week I emailed again. Still todate 3 weeks after second inquire I still have had no responce from GC. Does anyone on here know a status on M500.

So about 6 weeks ago I email and asked about the Samsung M500. I got back a very nice email explaining that they where currently testing it and should know if they where rolling with it with in 2 weeks. I thought great....I let 3 weeks go by and emailed back the lady that had responded to me to see how testing went. After no responce in one week I emailed again. Still todate 3 weeks after second inquire I still have had no responce from GC. Does anyone on here know a status on M500.

The m500 had some issues that have been difficult to resolve. I can say this, we are actively working on this phone right now. I appreciate your patience and understanding as there are times when a particular phone model poses certain technical issues.

I just moved to West Texas and I'm searching for a new wireless provider as Verizon does not service this area. I've decided to go with Cingulair since everyone in my office is using them and their coverage is really good in the area....an important issue since I'm a nurse that travels around seeing patients all over Gods creation.

Anyway, my question.....should I get a phone that is GPS compatible in hopes that Cingulair will offer the GeoNav service in the future. And if so, how do I know which phone to pick.....if a Motorola Razor from Sprint is GPS ready, does it work the same for Cingulair?

Thank folks.....

Unfortunately Cingular and T-Mobile (the GSM carriers) do not have GPS phones yet. A RAZR from Sprint is actually different than a RAZR from Cingular. The GSM carriers are still playing catch-up when it comes to GPS because of technical issues. When the GSM carriers rectify this situation, we will look to have Geocache Navigator available as soon as practical.

Larry, I notice this post was approximtaely 4 months ago; has there been any change? Do the GSM carriers allow GPS yet? I have to purchase a GSM phone for travelling out of the states and would like to get the GPS service for geocaching too.

Thank you,

Mike

Geocache Navigator really justified itself for me over the weekend. I had pocket queries loaded for literally thousands of caches in an area I was visiting, several hundred miles from home. So, sure enough... where did my aimless travels take me? Just outside the range of those pocket queries! No problem... I used my cellphone to keep on hunting caches, scoring finds in some new counties. I've come to think of Navigator as a nice emergency backup. It isn't a Garmin 60CSX, but if I don't have a waypoint loaded into that GPS, it's useless. I got the info. from the phone and plugged it into the Garmin.

Side note: It would be nice if Geocache Navigator followed the same format as the Geocaching.com cache pages. I am glad I noticed the coordinates were in decimal degrees when I was working with them on that tiny screen.

I just moved to West Texas and I'm searching for a new wireless provider as Verizon does not service this area. I've decided to go with Cingulair since everyone in my office is using them and their coverage is really good in the area....an important issue since I'm a nurse that travels around seeing patients all over Gods creation.

Anyway, my question.....should I get a phone that is GPS compatible in hopes that Cingulair will offer the GeoNav service in the future. And if so, how do I know which phone to pick.....if a Motorola Razor from Sprint is GPS ready, does it work the same for Cingulair?

Thank folks.....

Unfortunately Cingular and T-Mobile (the GSM carriers) do not have GPS phones yet. A RAZR from Sprint is actually different than a RAZR from Cingular. The GSM carriers are still playing catch-up when it comes to GPS because of technical issues. When the GSM carriers rectify this situation, we will look to have Geocache Navigator available as soon as practical.

Larry, I notice this post was approximtaely 4 months ago; has there been any change? Do the GSM carriers allow GPS yet? I have to purchase a GSM phone for travelling out of the states and would like to get the GPS service for geocaching too.

Thank you,

Mike

Mike, GSM carriers are way behind with having anything other than an off-board solution. By off-board I mean an external GPS device that operates through bluetooth. There is viability to this option. However, I would say that at this point GSM is at the end of the year before they are near ready with built-in GPS.

Okay so I used this app on a recent trip and it works wonderfully on a MotoRazr w/ Sprint. However I phone logged a few caches multiple times and now I have no way of getting rid of the extra phone logs short of logging each cache more than once from my computer. Any suggestions?

I reported this issue earlier, too. The only work-around I could find was to log a "note" and delete it afterwards.

I'm not sure where the responsibility for this part of the Geocaching Navigator system falls...the "My Phone Logs" webpage is on the geocaching.com domain. Is GC responsible for improvements/fixes with this functionality?

Mike, GSM carriers are way behind with having anything other than an off-board solution. By off-board I mean an external GPS device that operates through bluetooth. There is viability to this option. However, I would say that at this point GSM is at the end of the year before they are near ready with built-in GPS.

Since there is ' viability' to this option... How about a beta trial?

Since there is ' viability' to this option... How about a beta trial?

Once viability turns into code we will look into a potential beta.

The Fusic is a nice phone but I really like the M1 even better. GPS performance is very good on the M1 and it has a very high res screen that looks really good with topo, aerial, and street maps. By the way, the new Sanyo 7050 is on sale now. It is the first Sprint phone to have GPS availability outside of the Sprint network. It basically works like a regular GPSr. The Nextel phones all work out of the network too but that does not help Sprint folks. However, most cool features of Geocache Navigator require network access. For example, to get caches around you or to read logs require you to be in the network to get to the cache servers. But if you have the cache coordinates when in the network you can navigate to the cache even when out of the Sprint network. Geocache Navigator will be out on the 7050 soon - it's in Sprint certification now. BTW - the Sanyo 7050 has a great high res 320 x 240 display like the M1 and it's rugged. Not quite as sexy as a Fusic or M1 but tough as nails.

On the a900M - sorry folks....this has been taking a lot longer than we had hoped. We have too many new GPS phones coming out that require our engineers to get running. And the a900M is proving to be difficult. I don't know if we can get it to work in the end but we'll keep trying as time permits. :rolleyes:

Rich at Trimble

Looked at the specs of the LG Fusic, think I'm going to get one in the next few days :laughing:

The Geocache Navigator application has been submitted to boost. It is just taking a long time to get it pushed onto the deck. Trimble will announce once it becomes available.

Geocache Navigator is finally on Boost! Listed below are the phone models that are supported:

i275

i415

i425

i450

i455

i560

i670

i730

i830 (Roxy)

i833

i835

i855

i860

i875

i885

You can go to the Boost Mobile web site http://booststore.cellmania.com/boostwebapp/applications.do and search for "geocache" to find it.