Another London Event in January

Pharisee

In response to Firth of Forth's recent request, I'll arrange an event in London for the evening of Friday 26th January.... if there is sufficient interest. Probably at the Cittie of York, if I can get it but maybe at the 16th Century pub as an alternative.

So... can I have a show of hands, please? Quick as you like and no dawdling at the back there ;)

In response to Firth of Forth's recent request, I'll arrange an event in London for the evening of Friday 26th January.... if there is sufficient interest. Probably at the Cittie of York, if I can get it but maybe at the 16th Century pub as an alternative.

So... can I have a show of hands, please? Quick as you like and no dawdling at the back there :blink:

I really enjoy a days caching in London (the ale & company have been exemplar) :laughing: , all I need is a friendly cacher who'll let me kip at their drum for the night (maybe the night before too) and I'll be there :laughing: Shame bhodisatva won't be there though, he's been like a piece of furniture at the previous events :laughing:

I really enjoy a days caching in London (the ale & company have been exemplar) :( , all I need is a friendly cacher who'll let me kip at their drum for the night (maybe the night before too) and I'll be there :sad: Shame bhodisatva won't be there though, he's been like a piece of furniture at the previous events :cry:

Mi casa es su casa :cry:

"Huston. We have a problem."

Plan 'A'....

I've spoken to the manager at the Cittie of York and as Friday is his busiest day, he's not prepared to give us exclusive use of his 'front' bar unless we can guarantee a minimum spend of £500. With the best will in the world, I can't drink that much ale :(

Plan 'B'....

I then spoke the the manager of Ye Olde Mitre (the 16th Century Pub) and as Friday is their busiest day, they weren't prepared to take a booking at all.

Plan 'C'.... I don't have a Plan 'C' :huh:

So... We can meet at either of the two pubs above but only as general customers. Ye Olde Mitre is tiny and I suspect you'll be drinking in the alley and fighting for bar space. The Cittie of York is huge and boasts the longest bar in London and maybe the whole of the UK but I suspect it'll still be crowded.

Or.... Is anyone else with local London knowledge able to take on the organisation of an event at a different venue?

Or.... Give up and forget it :(

That's going to be a common problem with London city centre pubs on a Friday. Holborn is a ghost town on a Saturday, so that's why we are welcomed to the CoY with open arms then. I would suggest we still go for it and as long as we have a few people who will get there nice and early, we should be able to elbow ourselves enough room. A lot of the 'suits' are in only there for a couple of hours after work and then return home to Surrey.

Problem sorted!!

OK.... The event is ON

Venue : The Butcher's Hook & Cleaver, Smithfield

Date & Time : Friday 26th January 2007 from 6:30 ish onwards

This is an excellent 'Fullers' pub with lots of fine ale including some seasonal 'specials'. They're reserving the upstairs area for us. It's a big spiral staircase to an area that overlooks the main bar so while not exactly wheelchair friendly, it will be possible with a few willing hands.

Food will be available until about 21:00

Full details will be published as the usual Event Cache

Problem sorted!!

OK.... The event is ON

This is an excellent 'Fullers' pub with lots of fine ale including some seasonal 'specials'. They're reserving the upstairs area for us. It's a big spiral staircase to an area that overlooks the main bar so while not exactly wheelchair friendly, it will be possible with a few willing hands.

That's great! Thanks so much Pharisee.

I look forward to it!

<snip> It's a big spiral staircase to an area that overlooks the main bar so while not exactly wheelchair friendly, it will be possible with a few willing hands.

Hands??? It's willing legs I need, rotfl!

Seriously though, no worries on my account, (and yes, I know I am not the only w/c user in the village) :( it's a bit too late in January for me to attend, I shall be drinking in the bar here that night! :huh:

<snip> It's a big spiral staircase to an area that overlooks the main bar so while not exactly wheelchair friendly, it will be possible with a few willing hands.

Hands??? It's willing legs I need, rotfl!

Seriously though, no worries on my account, (and yes, I know I am not the only w/c user in the village) :anicute: it's a bit too late in January for me to attend, I shall be drinking in the bar here that night! :laughing:

I seem to remember your wheelchair being manoeuvred up the very narrow stairs at Ye Olde Mitre a while back. This should be easy by comparison so you can't use that as an excuse :ph34r::ph34r:

Aye, I remember, but I have had extensive arm surgery since then :ph34r: and have even had to resort to an electric w/c at times this year (that was until I crashed it into a lamp post and several bits fell off) :anicute:

I really do have to claim prior engagement though, although I would have liked to attend! I'm afraid the Board meetings and conferences have been on the calendar for a year or so! At least I get new ground to cache in before and after, I mean, it would be rude to go all that way and not to, wouldn't it? :laughing:

Problem sorted!!

OK.... The event is ON

Great stuff - I well remember the Red Fox last time we were there John :P