GeoCaching wedding proposal

Macsels

I would like to propose to my girlfriend during a visit to London next month.

As we're sort of GeoCaching fans (caching in Holland) I thought it would a nice and original idea to go looking for a GeoCache which then contains a 'proposal item' of some sort (don't know exactly what).

Does anyone know of any good locations where to place a temporary (maybe even fictional) GeoCache?

If so I'd like to go fly to London (and back the same day) several days to place the cache.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

(ps, I hope she doesn't accidentally read this topic but I don't think she will ;) )

Edited by Macsels

What a unique and extremely nice way to propose, but also expensive flying over and back again before you arrive. You probably live closer to London than what I do, but I wonder if someone will volunteer to place a fictional or real cache for you? That way it will save you the expense of flights and searching for a location?

Obviously you would need explicit instructions on how to find it, so that you didn't end up with a DNF!

How sweet. But rather than create a new cache why not pick a cache that you would

like to visit and contact the owner to ask if they would help you.

You could then write a note to your girlfriend that would be addressed to her only.

You could then post the letter to the cache owner and they could then place it on your behalf.

The note could be a final clue which would say something like,

look in the pocket of the one you love.

She could then reach in and find the ring etc.

How sweet. But rather than create a new cache why not pick a cache that you would

like to visit and contact the owner to ask if they would help you.

You could then write a note to your girlfriend that would be addressed to her only.

You could then post the letter to the cache owner and they could then place it on your behalf.

The note could be a final clue which would say something like,

look in the pocket of the one you love.

She could then reach in and find the ring etc.

You old romantic, you.

Oss!

when you come over why not have a word with the people at the London eye about placing one on the just before you get the with your girlfriend. they can say which car or pod. then you can find it just as you get to the top. they can only say yes or no we wish you well from all of us and Chester woof woof to you both ;)

What a unique and extremely nice way to propose, but also expensive flying over and back again before you arrive. You probably live closer to London than what I do, but I wonder if someone will volunteer to place a fictional or real cache for you? That way it will save you the expense of flights and searching for a location?

Obviously you would need explicit instructions on how to find it, so that you didn't end up with a DNF!

Well actually the flight isn't that expensive, it's only 30 euro's (!) with Ryanair flying to Stansted. After that there will be some minor bus and tube costs.

It would indeed be real nice if someone could place a GeoCache, especially because I'm not familiair with the rules and regulations concerning placement in the UK (permission owner, etc). But as I said it isn't that much of a burden to fly over to do it myself. The main thing is that I don't know any spots (preferably nice spots) in the London area where I could place such a cache (and not finding an empty hole on the 'moment supreme' ;) ).

I do have a more serious suggestion.

You and your intended are enjoying a nice stroll around our fabulous capital, perhaps walking along the river. You announce "well, we're here, can you see anything"

"nope" says she

"what about over there?" says you

you point across the river where it seems unusually busy. You make the secret signal, then suddenly, each person holds a letter up, which reads

PLESAE DO ME THE SIGNURAL HONOUR OF BECOMING MY FIWE

after a bit of shuffling around, all becomes clear, your intended is bowled over by your gesture, and we convene at a pub to toast your future happiness.

You see? An event cache. I'd be happy help organise that!

I would like to propose to my girlfriend during a visit to London next month.

As we're sort of GeoCaching fans (caching in Holland) I thought it would a nice and original idea to go looking for a GeoCache which then contains a 'proposal item' of some sort (don't know exactly what).

Does anyone know of any good locations where to place a temporary (maybe even fictional) GeoCache?

If so I'd like to go fly to London (and back the same day) several days to place the cache.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

(ps, I hope she doesn't accidentally read this topic but I don't think she will ;) )

...another fine mess I have made with the preivous message!

Goldpot here, the head gardener of Regent's Park, London. I have a cache in our secret garden (not so secret to the cachers though!) If you want I could place a engagement ring in the cache for you!!! Now that would be romantic ;)

regards, goldpot

A little slight of hand with a ring and some tape when she's not looking could place something to find under a bench on the London Eye. I'd also be happy to help out with LordElph's idea (well, I say his idea - I've seen it done in a film just as he describes it. Might have been Meet The Parents?) given a bit of notice. I hope she says yes, by the way ;)

I do have a more serious suggestion.

You and your intended are enjoying a nice stroll around our fabulous capital, perhaps walking along the river. You announce "well, we're here, can you see anything"

"nope" says she

"what about over there?" says you

you point across the river where it seems unusually busy. You make the secret signal, then suddenly, each person holds a letter up, which reads

PLESAE DO ME THE SIGNURAL HONOUR OF BECOMING MY FIWE

after a bit of shuffling around, all becomes clear, your intended is bowled over by your gesture, and we convene at a pub to toast your future happiness.

You see? An event cache. I'd be happy help organise that!

Cool idea LordE!! Ya big softy!

Thanks for all the great replies and suggestions. I actually wasn't expecting that much response! So thanks!

I really like the bit more 'simple' idea of placing an item in a cache, I thought of a teddy bear wearing a t-shirt with a text on it, like "Will you marry me?" (or in Dutch: "Wil je met me trouwen?"). While she is reading the text I will ask her for real.

I think the 'holding up letters'-idea would be more as an 'extra' to the finding the cache thing (if that would possible). And it should also mean there should be 15 people holding the letters up (for the English text). And after that we could indeed grap a pint at a pub!

Regent's Park looks like a nice spot to place such an item and with some help of the head gardener this should definitely work.

One more thing is that currently she doesn't know that we're going to London, I'm not sure yet if I want it to be a surprise (waking up and tell her to pack her bags) or that I should bring up the idea like "Wouldn't it be nice to go to London next month?"

Thanks,

Macsels

(ps. apologies for the possible slow answering, I think I should mainly reply when at work so I don't run the risk that she suddenly walks in the room or something)

If there's anything I can do to help (such as ignoring the Temporary cache rule, or setting up an event at short notice etc. :laughing: ) please drop me an e-mail through my profile and I'll see what can be arranged.

Thanks for the support! If things start to take shape and I need some help I will contact you.

I think this is a lovely idea. I think I would ask Goldpot (or other volunteer) to place a special one-off cache just for you to find, because I would hate the idea of somebody else finding the cache beforehand and nicking the ring. London caches get lots of visits at weekends!

I already PM'ed goldpot :laughing:

I will try to keep you all posted.

The idea is to create a cache (metal ammobox and preferably a multi) in Regent's Park that contains a bear wearing a printed t-shirt. As soon as she opens the cache the bear should popup. In the "Huh, what' this and what's going on?"-moment I will hold the box with the ring in my hand. After that I hope it will be a "yes" :blink: (no doubt there).

Maybe after the find is all over the cache can be published as a 'real' cache as I intend to leave the cache unpublished at first (also to prevent discovery by her).

This bear with printed t-shirt at Shirtcity.com (23cm tall):

teddyteddy30vorne.jpg

I'm sorry for the silence the last few days. It is because my girlfriend planned something else in the period I had in mind.

So I'm doing my best to have the other thing cancelled :rolleyes:

I hope you don't mean that you are having your other half cancelled! Mind you, in the long run it would be cheaper!

:):rolleyes:

No, that's not what I meant :anicute:

But I already thought this could be a problem (her arranging stuff in the planned period) especially in a busy month like December.

Wow - just took a look at the photos and we've been caching in that very area this afternoon - some lovely wildlife and stunning scenery - the views of the Pacific Ocean on one side and San Diego on the other are to die for :huh:.

For audio reports from someone who has done this before, see www.podcacher.com, specifically listen to programs 20 (http://www.podcacher.com/?p=114) and 21 (http://www.podcacher.com/?p=116). There are also some photos at http://www.podcacher.com/proposal/

Wow - just took a look at the photos and we've been caching in that very area this afternoon - some lovely wildlife and stunning scenery - the views of the Pacific Ocean on one side and San Diego on the other are to die for :huh:.

Look great, too bad the weather (probably) isn't as good as in San Diego.

From the pictures I saw on several websites, Regent's Park looks very nice (at least in summertime). Never been in the park on my previous visits to London.

...she said YES!

Everything went really well, especially due to the help of goldpot! We just returned from London yesterday evening.

Due to the rain goldpot's "Very Secret Pot" wasn't available so he placed the bear in "Cara's College Cache" which is closeby.

This Log is my report on how things went down...we released this TB to commemorate the event. It's currently in the hands of goldpot.

After this happening we went to a pub to get a pint and let things 'settle'. After that we went to a restaurant for a (semi-)romantic dinner which I prebooked online. The rest of the weekend (until Monday) we went caching 'round London which is really nice and takes you to spots where you'd not come normally.

The wedding isn't planned yet but we always thought of having the wedding somewhere abroad, preferably Ireland. The major challenge is to get all those people there :)

Thanks for all your help here in the forum, when there is any news about the wedding plans, I'll let you know.

Thanks, Macsels.

Edited by Macsels