More Geo-Terminology

Team Merlin

Does anyone know when the Geo community adopted the term "muggle"? I myself do no use the term "muggle". I just can't bring myself to use it. I don't know why, because I like Harry Potter. I prefer to "steal" from the TV show "LOST" & use the term "Others" when referring to non Cachers. Anyone else have issues with this term? Or am I just off my rocker? ;)

Muggle (disambiguation)

From Wikipedia, .

A muggle is a person without magical abilities in J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter fantasy books and films.

Muggle can also refer to:

Muggle, a slang term for marijuana, mostly used in the 1920s and 1930s and associated with the American jazz scene

Muggles (recording), a 1928 recording by Louis Armstrong and His Orchestra, derived from the above usage

The Legend of Rah and the Muggles, a children's book by Nancy Stouffer, who unsuccessfully sued J.K. Rowling for alleged infringement which included use of the name "Muggle"

Does anyone know when the Geo community adopted the term "muggle"? I myself do no use the term "muggle". I just can't bring myself to use it. I don't know why, because I like Harry Potter. I prefer to "steal" from the TV show "LOST" & use the term "Others" when referring to non Cachers. Anyone else have issues with this term? Or am I just off my rocker? ;)

Muggle (disambiguation)

From Wikipedia, .

A muggle is a person without magical abilities in J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter fantasy books and films.

Muggle, a slang term for marijuana, mostly used in the 1920s and 1930s and associated with the American jazz scene

Muggles (recording), a 1928 recording by Louis Armstrong and His Orchestra, derived from the above usage

The Legend of Rah and the Muggles, a children's book by Nancy Stouffer, who unsuccessfully sued J.K. Rowling for alleged infringement which included use of the name "Muggle"

My oxford dictionary defines "muggle" as:

muggle |?m?g?l| (also Muggle) noun informal an unimaginative or boring person : this video game won't appeal to muggles.

since members could also be termed:

affiliate, associate, belonger, brother, card-carrier, card-carrying member, cardholder, charter member, colleague, comrade, dues-paying member, enlistee, enrollee, fellow, fraternity man, guildsman, honorary member, initiate, insider, joiner, life member, one of us, pledge, sister.

then muggles could also be called:

outsider, alien, barbarian, crackpot, crank, displaced person, eccentric, emigre, exile, foreign devil, foreigner, gatecrasher, gringo, guest, hermit, hobo, interloper, intruder, invader, know-nothing, kook, lone wolf, loner, newcomer, nonconformist, nut, odd fellow, oddball, oddity, out-group, outcast, outlander, outlaw, pariah, persona non grata, queer duck, queer fish, queer specimen, refugee, screwball, solitary, squatter, stranger, tramp, trespasser, visitor

but muggle is simple and currently accepted - although a bit juvenile. IMHO

non-member? nutjob? ;)

The problem with using something other than muggle is that you have to use a lot of words to replace it.

When I'm at work I'm not surrounded by muggles, they are co-workers, or my fellow galley slaves. Whichever fits.

Muggles are non cachers but only as they specificly relate to a cache. That's a mouth ful. "The cache was found accidently by a non cacher who upon finding the cache didn't become a cacher and instead took it." aka "The Cache was muggled".

Ditto on muggle. "The Cache was surrounded by muggles" vs. The cache was surrounded by non cachers" Simpler than the first example, but still more typing.

I don't care for muggle either and rarely use it. I know Flask likes it though. A lot.

She also like it when we use lots of :D:D:D;)

I think muggle is just fine for use among ourselves, but not with muggles. First they would not understand, then would get offended when it was explained to them. I prefer the term 'unaware.'

I've also seen mugglers used in areas nearby. That's an incorrect usage, but still kind of appropriate when you are referring to an MIA cache. (muggle+burgler/mugger=muggler.)

edited to add a :D since I see flask has noticed the thread. :D

Edited by wimseyguy

Muggle (disambiguation)

From Wikipedia, .

My oxford dictionary defines "muggle" as:

muggle |?m?g?l| (also Muggle) noun informal an unimaginative or boring person : this video game won't appeal to muggles.

Very interesting. I use muggle when talking with my close geocaching friends, my 8 year old daughter & on the forums. I like it but I agree it may be just a smidgen corny. I must say though, I also like the "others"!

Muggle: A person not associated with a particular group.

At least, that is the definition I have always used for the term. I feel this way since the term is used in several different groups that I know of and all mean the same. Plus, when we are searching for a cache and mumble "watch out for the muggler", my family knows what I mean and if over heard, the other person just thinks we are Harry Potter fans so don't pay us as much attention.

It is kind of corny and when I first used it out loud, my 10 year old laughed and teased me about it. He now uses it as sort of an inside joke for a lot of things. Come to think of it, isn't geocaching sort of an inside joke?

While on the subject of odd terms, I used the word "dungarees" to refer to my son's jeans the other night and he looked at me like I had two heads. My wife promptly informed him that dungaree is a word that old people use... "Hey, look at the muggle wearing dungarees."

i call 'em auslanders, which isn't very accutrate and yet when i say it i don't feel as if key bits of my brain have been removed. there is a cute-free zone for ten yards around me and violations include the addlepated use of "muggle" outside a harry potter context as well as those horrid little smilies that the mentally deficient also seem to like.

i call 'em auslanders, which isn't very accutrate and yet when i say it i don't feel as if key bits of my brain have been removed. there is a cute-free zone for ten yards around me and violations include the addlepated use of "muggle" outside a harry potter context as well as those horrid little smilies that the mentally deficient also seem to like.

A woman after my own heart. Good thing I didn't meet you when I was younger. I might of become twitterpated and then you would have had to kill me for being silly in your serious zone. I still like muggle though. ;)

Edited by Renegade Knight
Perhaps it's easier for those people who haven't been exposed to Harry Potter.

I like Muggles because it is a funny word like the following:

Nozzle

any SQ word squish, squirt, sqeeze....etc.

You think me funny? Well just say them out loud and think of how they feel in your mouth when you say them!!! Muggle fits there too and is adopted as a forever term....just like:

GOONIES NEVER SAY DIE! Meaning...I might not find your cache this time...but I will never surrender until it is found!!! ;)

Michelle

*refuses to grow up....EVER!*

Some non-geocachers will get all fired up (fuming mad) if they find you referring to them as a "muggle".

I would think it is mostly because the first Harry Potter movie's usage of the term muggle was as close to being a slur as any other I can think of and it depicted the first family we encounter in the movie as being boorish and adamant about not mixing it up with "those" people.

I like "muggle". My kids love to whisper, "Watch out for those muggles", at which point they generally break out into loud laughter, calling attention to ourselves (of course). Anyway, the term is here to say, so we might as well use it. Just like the term "dog" to refer to your friend is an annoying slang for many people, it doesn't seem to be giong away either.

Am I rambling yet?

A woman after my own heart. Good thing I didn't meet you when I was younger. I might of become twitterpated and then you would have had to kill me for being silly in your serious zone. I still like muggle though. :laughing:

aw, that's sweet.

... drat. blast. bad. now i have to go have myself removed from the cute-free zone.

if you quote me saying stuff like that i will deny under oath that i said it.

and while we're at it, there are a number of other things that i did not, would not, could not have done.

so don't even ask.

i have worked very hard since my early childhood years to maintain a harsh and curmudgeonly persona. unlike the fun-and-cute persona, it is one that ages well.

and somehow they kept making me teach kindergarten for something approaching fourteen years. WHAT did i do to deserve THAT?!?!?

i have worked very hard since my early childhood years to maintain a harsh and curmudgeonly persona. unlike the fun-and-cute persona, it is one that ages well.

and somehow they kept making me teach kindergarten for something approaching fourteen years. WHAT did i do to deserve THAT?!?!?

It was done to preserve cosmic balance.

What about Mundanes?

Already taken. This term, as you may know is reserved for those who attend renaissance faires in street clothes and don't dress in the garb of the historical period represented.

Anyway I really don't care for labeling folks, although I must admit I have used the term. Hey, some of my best friends are muggles. :laughing:

What about Mundanes?
Already taken. This term, as you may know is reserved for those who attend renaissance faires in street clothes and don't dress in the garb of the historical period represented ....
I'd like to take this time to go on record with the fact that I have never attended a renaissance fair.

Well it is cloudy and yucky here in New England today, just like the past 3 or 4 days :blink: (that was for flask) and I just have to thank you all for making me laugh so much about something as mundane as the term muggle. And to think I could have just gone caching and would have missed all the fun! Last I checked weather.com this is the best weather day we're going to get this week and two of the junior stars have fevers. So it looks like we'll have to forgo any serious cache runs today.

As for the muggle term, I generally try to avoid it. I think it makes a log more interesting when the person is described.

Some examples:

man walking his dog

woman jogging

guy sitting in his car staring at us

I also admit I liked all the thesaurus generated terms for muggle. I just might use gringo the next time I need to descibed a non-cacher. I met a cacher who went by The Outlaw so I really laughed when I saw that one. :laughing:

What about Mundanes?
Already taken. This term, as you may know is reserved for those who attend renaissance faires in street clothes and don't dress in the garb of the historical period represented ....
I'd like to take this time to go on record with the fact that I have never attended a renaissance fair.

So what would you call a person who does not cache & does not dress in period garb at ren fests? :blink:

I tried to popularize CLAMS or Cache Less and Unaware Members of Society. It caught on like pig roasts in Mecca.

i liked that one, brian.

and i also liked DPM; i have a few logs out there that say it isn't quite midnight, but the clams have spoken to the choreographer and they're not feeling so well.

What about Mundanes?

So what would you call a person who does not cache & does not dress in period garb at ren fests? :blink:

a Mungler?

a Muglane?

We refer to those not in garb as Nekid :laughing:

yes, we cache and dress in garb at renfaires, so does that make us rennie cachers?

I absolutely despise the word 'muggle'. It just sounds so... stupid to try to say it in public, or hell, even to myself. Maybe it's because I'm not really a fan of the whole Harry Potter stuff, but yeah... I generally hate the term.

Hence, in any log I've ever posted for a cache, I've always used some other term (non-geocacher, bystander, random people, etc) when describing bystanders.

since members could also be termed:

affiliate, associate, belonger, brother, card-carrier, card-carrying member, cardholder, charter member, colleague, comrade, dues-paying member, enlistee, enrollee, fellow, fraternity man, guildsman, honorary member, initiate, insider, joiner, life member, one of us, pledge, sister.

then muggles could also be called:

outsider, alien, barbarian, crackpot, crank, displaced person, eccentric, emigre, exile, foreign devil, foreigner, gatecrasher, gringo, guest, hermit, hobo, interloper, intruder, invader, know-nothing, kook, lone wolf, loner, newcomer, nonconformist, nut, odd fellow, oddball, oddity, out-group, outcast, outlander, outlaw, pariah, persona non grata, queer duck, queer fish, queer specimen, refugee, screwball, solitary, squatter, stranger, tramp, trespasser, visitor

but muggle is simple and currently accepted - although a bit juvenile. IMHO

non-member? nutjob? :huh:

i figured i'd look thru both lists and pick out a name i'd use for each, but every single one of them is so funny, i can't decide.