beginner gps

ouchu

Hello!

I'd like to have a bit of info as to what i should get for my first gps?

It will be used mainly for geocach & orientaring! I was dead set on the explorist 210 @ $140-150

But after reading another site people were pushing more for the garmin unit, Outdoor magazine gave good rating to magellan!

Im lost a little bit, or is trying to get the best out of everything looses you. What im looking for is a unit that I'll be able to have fun with it for a little while at a reasonnable price.

Tks ahead

The eXplorist 210 is a good unit in that price range, but the Garmin Venture CX is about the same price with the current rebate and has expandible memory (210 doesn't) and a color display (210 doesn't). They both are capable of autorouting, but Garmin software is far superior to Magellan's in that respect.

With the Venture CX you can use it out of the box to have fun with and you can also add features (more memory and mapping) down the road as you see a need.

The Garmins also have a more intuiative, easy to learn icon based interface.

I am currently using a 210 and it works well. It does everything you need for geocaching (at least the basics) and it also has dedicated geocaching "information page" that you can view unlike my older Meridian. My one complaint is the joinstick you have to use to navigate through the menus and enter remarks/coordinates can be a pain.. especially if you have large fingers. However, I am looking to upgrade to a GPSr that has a little bit larger screen and color. But if you want cheap... the 210 is a great GPSr. Good luck.

JTA

Oups, I learning how to use a forum!

I am currently using a 210 and it works well. It does everything you need for geocaching (at least the basics) and it also has dedicated geocaching "information page" that you can view unlike my older Meridian. My one complaint is the joinstick you have to use to navigate through the menus and enter remarks/coordinates can be a pain.. especially if you have large fingers. However, I am looking to upgrade to a GPSr that has a little bit larger screen and color. But if you want cheap... the 210 is a great GPSr. Good luck.

JTA

Edited by ouchu