Other things to do with your GPSr

Apart from Geocaching & Trigpointing (and Groundspeak's Benchmarking & Waymarking etc.) I've been wondering what else we can take part in with our GPSr.

So far I've found:

Anyone got anything else to add to the list?

I leave mine on when going to different places on foot, car or best still by plane (though you need a window seat and a sympathetic airline).

I then download the tracks to EasyGPS http://www.easygps.com/ and save as a gpx file. Now, using GPS Visualiser http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map?form=googleearth, convert the gpx file to a kml to see the results in Google Earth. You can zoom in and see where you went around roundabouts , etc. If climbing hills or flying use the tilt function and see your rise & falls. ;)

Sad or what?!!!! :D

we hired a boat on the broads this year, speed limit signs everywhere but no speedometer on the boat ;) , luckily we were geocaching and had our gps with us which proved very handy when the river authority boat kept following us :D

thoough we did get pulled over when trying to get on the bank to find a cache :D oops

I always waymark the hotel when I'm travelling. Last night I suucessfully routed 3 of us back to the hotel in Central Munich as either the food or the drink had left us a little light headed ;). so we walked back. It's also useful to make sure the taxis take you the short way and not the long one.

Fell walking - the whole reason I bought GPS in the first place. I was once helping out at a long distance walking event during the night when somebody was taken ill. The guy who was with me had one of the very first GPSr - no mapping, just an OS grid position. After climbing a hill to get a mobile phone signal, we got through to 999. We were in the middle of the fells far from any roads and the ambulance guys found us so quickly because of a good OS Ref, it probably saved the guys life.

Now I enjoy fell walking with caching, walking 10 miles to get just one cache does not increase your total caches very quickly, but sure is a good day out.

Also:

Getting to places when working overseas or out drinking in big cities

Pushing the speed limit - so I can set the cruise control to GPS speed instead of cars speedo.

Anyone heard of Artfield Fell Wind Farm? I was a Project Manager on the logistics team for the transport of the turbines from Ayr Port to site near Stranraer. As part of the road route planning I was required to identify suitable temporary stopping locations for up to three vehicles at over 20m each (trucks with either blades or tower sections). When surveying laybys I would stand at one end and get a GPS mark, then instruct the GPS to goto the mark so walking to the other end of the layby would give me the distance/length of the layby! Calculating obstacles such as road curvatures, street furniture, bridges, etc require more precise methods using tape measures and/or lasers but for a rough calculation such as with the laybys using the GPS was a precise enough!

Every day I have to find an on-street parking place near work, and frequently by the time I've suffered a day at work I can't remember where I left the van! Now I have the answer to my memory problems- waypoint the van before getting out, then when leaving work, just follow the gps! Before I got this wonderful toy, I would often be found wandering about aimlessly looking for my van (now I just wander about looking for tupperware! :D )