New Series : Geocaching Around the Planet

Ellandel

Yes, I know, it's a crazy project, but here I go anyway :

I will issue a Geocoin for each country where I have found or placed a cache, and I intend to visit all 192 of them. You will find all the details about this project on my website :

http://www.ellandel.com

And the first Geocoin is ready for presale. The first country I visited for this project is China : so get your coin at

http://www.my-geocoin.com/gb/loc_capchina.html

And let me know what you think. This is only the beginning... All suggestions welcome !

Ellandel

Details for the coin

Size : 1.75" (44mm)

Date of Availablity : Mid-December

Finishes : Nickel (130), Gold (60) Matte Gun (60)

Trackablity : Yes

Icon : Yes

Price : 8.5$ (nickel) 9.0$ (others)

Shipping : Mid-December

capchina%20maxi.jpg

Edited by Ellandel

This is a perfect example where it would be really helpful to post all the stats on the coin in the thread. I had to dig through several pages to finally figure out pricing and all the other details. Be nice if you could edit your post to include the following:

Size:

Date of Availablity:

Finishs:

Number being Made:

Trackablity:

Icon:

Price:

Shipping:

Thanks

You should put your geocaching name on the coin. Unless you are collaborating with the geocaching community in China then this this a personal project and therefore should be a personal geocoin.

I am sure you would not want to mislead potential purchasers with a coin being something that it is not?

Excellent suggestion - but my geocaching name is written on the coin - try to find it (no, it's not written in Chinese)

Cheers

Ellandel

This is a perfect example where it would be really helpful to post all the stats on the coin in the thread. I had to dig through several pages to finally figure out pricing and all the other details. Be nice if you could edit your post to include the following:

Size:

Date of Availablity:

Finishs:

Number being Made:

Trackablity:

Icon:

Price:

Shipping:

Thanks

Your suggestion is welcome - the post was edited

Thanks

Ellandel

Yes, I know, it's a crazy project...

I won't argue with you! Yeah, it's crazy, but I like it :ph34r: Have to agree that it would be nice to actually have something on the coin that states that this is part of a large project, and that you have been to the country named. You could not only have your handle on it, but also the date and waypoint of the first geocache that you found in the country. This would make it something more interesting than just a "generic" image of a country. For example, if this was our project, our first coin would be Switzerland (I suppose that we would save the USA for last, or for a special event), and you would see:

chaosmanor

GCJECK

25 September, 2005

No idea if you can get the coin re-designed, but as you asked for comments... :laughing:

BTW: yes, I found your name: clever :laughing: However, that isn't quite enough to make this the presonal geocoin which this should be.

Edited by chaosmanor

Yes, I know, it's a crazy project...

I won't argue with you! Yeah, it's crazy, but I like it :ph34r: Have to agree that it would be nice to actually have something on the coin that states that this is part of a large project, and that you have been to the country named. You could not only have your handle on it, but also the date and waypoint of the first geocache that you found in the country. This would make it something more interesting than just a "generic" image of a country. For example, if this was our project, our first coin would be Switzerland (I suppose that we would save the USA for last, or for a special event), and you would see:

chaosmanor

GCJECK

25 September, 2005

No idea if you can get the coin re-designed, but as you asked for comments... :laughing:

BTW: yes, I found your name: clever :laughing: However, that isn't quite enough to make this the presonal geocoin which this should be.

Excellent suggestions, and I'll implement them in the next coin, since this one seems to be selling fast !

Thanks

Ellandel

There are actually more than 192, there are 193, unless Taiwan gets recognized, then there are 194, but on the home page of geocaching.com, there used to be a count, and it had gone up to 221 if I recall correctly, probably counting some others because there are dozens of territories and colonies that are sometimes erroneously called "countries" but don't count at all - they're governed by other countries. Places commonly confused as being countries include Puerto Rico, Bermuda, Greenland, Palestine, Western Sahara, and even the components of the United Kingdom (such as Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England - sorry folks, they're not countries, states, or nation-states). (Info found at: http://geography.about.com/cs/countries/a/...ercountries.htm )

And yes, you ought to make it a more personal coin, so as not to upset the natives. Try reading past threads when someone posted they wanted to make a coin for places they were not from.

I love your idea & I have already signed up for 4 coins. :laughing: Will you be e-mailing those of us who buy your first country when your next countries come out? I'd hate to start the collection & then miss out on some of the coins. :laughing:

That's a definite YES. I will give all my first-coin supporters the privilege of a preview before the next presales start. You will be on the mailing list

Thanks for your support - and if there are countries you want to see on a coin soon, let me know. I might have been there already

Thanks

Ellandel

(such as Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England - sorry folks, they're not countries, states, or nation-states).

Try telling a Scot or a Welshman that!

If you go by the Traveler's Century Club then there are 315 listed with "country status" :laughing: Mostly due to this rule:

Continental land areas having a common government or administration but which are geographically discontinuous either by reason of being separated by foreign land not under their control, by being located on separate continents, or by being separated by a natural body of water shall be considered as separate countries provided their population exceeds 100,000

Any idea what the next 4-5 countries will be?

PS- can you give me a clue where your name is on the coin, I think I know. :laughing:

Ok, I opened this thread thinking it was a joke.

As Mauison said - be ready for comments.

Along those lines, let me be the first to please ask that you NOT make a coin representing the USA. If you want to make PERSONAL coins that are CLEARLY personal coins representing where you have cached, more power to you and good luck with the sale(s).

But, as it stands, the China coin looks to be misleading. It loooks like a coin representing China, which IMO should be left to those who live in China (or are from China), but not somebody who visited/cached in China.

That doesn't look like die-ready art, so you should have plenty of time to adjust the coin to include your caching name and something like "countires I've cached in" You said your name is on it, but it's hard to find - seems misleading to me. If that's not your intention you should be able to make those changes now.

Again, don't take this personally, a lot of us just don't like other people making coins for our areas.

Edited by kealia

The government of Yimerica has contacted the UN, and officially declares it's full opposition to the production of any currency or coins bearing any association to it's fine and fruity republic.

Be it known that any attempt to produce such counterfeit materials and/or inauthentic merchandise will be taken as a hostile act by the country of Belgium, and considered an act of war. We have issued a nationwide "Yemon Alert", and now stand ready to deploy teams of Citrus Retaliatory Assault Personnel (C.R.A.P.) to specifically target Brussels.

This is one highly-trained elite force of rogues and mercenaries intent on stopping your unwanted advancements upon Yimerica...so believe me...you don't want a piece of C.R.A.P. We highly recommend you stand down.

Y. Yime

Il Duce di Yimerica

There are actually more than 192, there are 193, unless Taiwan gets recognized, then there are 194, but on the home page of geocaching.com, there used to be a count, and it had gone up to 221 if I recall correctly.

And yes, you ought to make it a more personal coin, so as not to upset the natives. Try reading past threads when someone posted they wanted to make a coin for places they were not from.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Some comments :

I wanted to avoid any controversial elements in the series, so I took the number of countries officially recognized by the United Nations (192). The debate about the number of countries - and what is a country, or nation, or state - has been going on for decades, and I don't want to fuel that debate here.

And I certainly will make it a personal coin in the future by adding 'Ellandel visited XXX', with the CGXXXX of the first cache I found or hid in that country.

I also promise I will never issue a coin for the fruity republic of Yimerica. I don't want to upset the natives, as YemonYime has very aptly stated.

Ellandel stands for L & L (as Cornerstone discovered).

Again, thanks for all the very sensible suggestions. I'm listening and I'll try to change the first coin to make sure I don't offend anyone

Cheers

Ellandel

, and even the components of the United Kingdom (such as Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England - sorry folks, they're not countries, states, or nation-states). (Info found at: http://geography.about.com/cs/countries/a/...ercountries.htm )

Please be aware each of the above have their own assemblies ( parliaments) and are recognised by many as seperate countries - including many sporting bodies :D - also why in the same breathe mention United Kingdom if they are not kingdoms :D are there no states in the United States

So don't believe all you read or we'll come looking for 230 years back rent!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D;)

Tee Hee

Bob

This is indeed a huge project but I like the idea. I also like that you have placed the series name on the coin which makes its specific to your series. Will it really take 14+ years to mint all of the coins? Geez, that is a very long time.... ;)

Thanks for the opportunity to acquire such an interesting coin. Ordered 2! :D

Continental land areas having a common government or administration but which are geographically discontinuous either by reason of being separated by foreign land not under their control, by being located on separate continents, or by being separated by a natural body of water shall be considered as separate countries provided their population exceeds 100,000

Hmmm

Does that mean that we on Vancouver Island get our own coin as we meet the above standard??

The government of Yimerica has contacted the UN, and officially declares it's full opposition to the production of any currency or coins bearing any association to it's fine and fruity republic.

Be it known that any attempt to produce such counterfeit materials and/or inauthentic merchandise will be taken as a hostile act by the country of Belgium, and considered an act of war. We have issued a nationwide "Yemon Alert", and now stand ready to deploy teams of Citrus Retaliatory Assault Personnel (C.R.A.P.) to specifically target Brussels.

This is one highly-trained elite force of rogues and mercenaries intent on stopping your unwanted advancements upon Yimerica...so believe me...you don't want a piece of C.R.A.P. We highly recommend you stand down.

Y. Yime

Il Duce di Yimerica

Funniest post ever. ;)

~

Good luck with the series. I'm anxiously awaiting the Suriname, Nauru, and San Marino editions.

Hmmm

Does that mean that we on Vancouver Island get our own coin as we meet the above standard??

Not according to the Travelers' Century Club list. Although Prince Edward Island is considered a seperate country.

Although reviewing their rules I'm not sure why Vancouver Island wouldn't be considered its own country.

On Topic... great idea... can't wait to see your other coins.

I promised I would listen to all suggestions, so here I go :

I was able to get the layout changed, and the coin now says clearly:

'Ellandel visited China'

see here

I don't have enough space on this layout for the date of the first cache find, but that will be for the next coin. Any more suggestions ?

Cheers

Ellandel

Edited by Ellandel

This is indeed a huge project but I like the idea. I also like that you have placed the series name on the coin which makes its specific to your series. Will it really take 14+ years to mint all of the coins? Geez, that is a very long time.... :D

Thanks for the opportunity to acquire such an interesting coin. Ordered 2! ;)

hey Princegussy !

thanks for the positive comments ! I have made the series even more specific (see the amended original post)

Just think of this : most people still have still 14 years to live - so why not go for this project, right ?

And there might be some months with more than one coin. With the volumes, I want to drive down prices, so get on the bandwagon now !

Cheers

Ellandel

I promised I would listen to all suggestions, so here I go :

I was able to get the layout changed, and the coin now says clearly:

'Ellandel visited China'

see here

I don't have enough space on this layout for the date of the first cache find, but that will be for the next coin. Any more suggestions ?

Cheers

Ellandel

Actually, you could make 'Ellandel visited China' in a larger bold font , put the date and the cache below a smaller chinese flag.

WIth the Chinese flag so large it looks to be a Country coin.

Just a suggestion.

, and even the components of the United Kingdom (such as Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England - sorry folks, they're not countries, states, or nation-states). (Info found at: http://geography.about.com/cs/countries/a/...ercountries.htm )

Please be aware each of the above have their own assemblies ( parliaments) and are recognised by many as seperate countries - including many sporting bodies :) - also why in the same breathe mention United Kingdom if they are not kingdoms :laughing: are there no states in the United States

So don't believe all you read or we'll come looking for 230 years back rent!!!!! B):unsure::P:ph34r::)B)

Tee Hee

Bob

LOL! Saves me adding my tuppence (or 2c if you prefer) worth to that discussion. The article made for interesting reading though

Hope you enjoy your project though, its certainly ambitious

Edited by freespirit1402

Funniest post ever. :blink:

~

Good luck with the series. I'm anxiously awaiting the Suriname, Nauru, and San Marino editions.

Hey, Suriname and San Marino should not be a problem, but I agree that Nauru will be a challenge. There are no caches there, so I'll have to hide one. It will be tough finding a spot, since the island is only 8.1 sq miles (or 21 sq km) and there's only one flight per week (if and when it operates).

But I love a challenge. So, one day.....

Cheers

Ellandel

There are actually more than 192, there are 193, unless Taiwan gets recognized, then there are 194, but on the home page of geocaching.com, there used to be a count, and it had gone up to 221 if I recall correctly, probably counting some others because there are dozens of territories and colonies that are sometimes erroneously called "countries" but don't count at all - they're governed by other countries.

Hey, the Geocoin Club's November coin (which I just received) says 'there are over 250,000 caches in over 200 countries...'

Eartha, you should go and give them a lecture.... You said 193 countries only

Cheers

Ellandel

Edited by Ellandel

Hmmm

Although reviewing their rules I'm not sure why Vancouver Island wouldn't be considered its own country.

Sure sounds like Vancouver Island qualifies as being its own country... we already have the capital city here so we just need to make the declaration to all the mainlanders :huh: . Instead of the Strait of Georgia we could rename it the Moat of Georgia :huh: !

When you come to Finland contact us and we'll do some serious caching :(

I'll be in Helsinki on Nov 29 for business meetings and will be geocaching at lunchtime and in the evening. So, just one day, but I'll be back for a longer period in Jan 2007. Any good caches in Finland ?

Thanks

Ellandel

Since you are also taking orders for the Spanish one, have these been shipped yet? :laughing:

edit: wording and grammar

Shipping information will be available from My-Geocoin in mid-december. I'll send an e-mail to all customers and post a final date in the forum.

Which wording and grammar did you edit ? I'm happy to learn...

Cheers

Ellandel