what to buy for xmas

cheffy

One of my boys has really gotten into this crazy game! I think I created a monster! Now family wants to know what toget him for Xmas. Any goecacheing ideas would be great. And no don't suggest a new GPS. He already has that. Try to keep the cost under $50.

Thanks

Some ideas.

An inexpensive PDA

A few ready made caches. Perhaps a few painted ammo cans complete with logbooks and trade items (my wife gave me a few of these for Christmas last year).

A decent compass (Silva Ranger is around $40)

A good flashlight like a Princeton Tec 40

A decent trekking poles makes an excellent addition for anyone going caching in rural areas.

As a recent convert to Trekking poles, I agree. For steep, crumbling, slippery trails, both up and down, its like turning on 4-wheel drive. Think mountain goat ability. I resisted trying these, but now that I have, I am hooked.

A decent trekking poles makes an excellent addition for anyone going caching in rural areas.

About 6 mos. ago I found some treakking poles at my local Target store.

They have held up very will and do the job.

I looked at some at REI for 89+$... the ones at Target were $15.00.

I am sure the REI poles are stronger, but..89 bux??? :laughing:

Nick

One of my boys has really gotten into this crazy game! I think I created a monster! Now family wants to know what toget him for Xmas. Any goecacheing ideas would be great.

I've got just the thing - I just bought one for myself. A head lamp. I got a 3-in-1 Rayovac model. Two red LEDs (surprisingly bright), 1 white LED (less bright, but probably plenty good once your eyes adjust) and one Krypton bulb for shining a bright beam a bit more distance.

Price? Ten bucks on sale at the local Meijer store.

Sure, I look like a total goof wearing it, but having wrestled with a conventional flashlight while caching at night this past weekend, this should be a big improvement.

Besides, I look like a total goof no matter what I'm wearing!

When my mom first got into it (after we introduced her) we got her a big ammo can and filled it with all kinds of geocaching stuff to hide her own caches with. We used the "this is a geocache" stickers, travel bug tags, logbooks, pencils, a decon container, some trade items, a couple of micro containers. You can put quite a bit of stuff in an ammo can.

Then we hid the whole thing in the field out back, and just gave her an envelope with a set of coordinates as her gift.

Edited by ThePropers

When my mom first got into it (after we introduced her) we got her a big ammo can and filled it with all kinds of geocaching stuff to hide her own caches with. We used the "this is a geocache" stickers, travel bug tags, logbooks, pencils, a decon container, some trade items, a couple of micro containers. You can put quite a bit of stuff in an ammo can.

Then we hid the whole thing in the field out back, and just gave her an envelope with a set of coordinates as her gift.

Awesome. Absolutely great idea!

I have been thinking the same for my boyfriend and father, both of them are very much into geocaching. I was going to give my boyfriend a upgrade on his account for geocaching.com. However for some odd reason I can not figure out how to do this. Or is it not possible?

I was thinking about getting something from the geocaching store as my dad already has an upgrade on his account.

I have been thinking the same for my boyfriend and father, both of them are very much into geocaching. I was going to give my boyfriend a upgrade on his account for geocaching.com. However for some odd reason I can not figure out how to do this. Or is it not possible?

I was thinking about getting something from the geocaching store as my dad already has an upgrade on his account.

Sure you can. Just go here Subscribe and it will ask you which user name you are upgrading.

El Diablo