Security Measures for Coins? Let's Discuss!

Moosiegirl

I thought those of you who have been selling/minting coins for a while could give us who are just starting out some tips and tricks, if you have them, for keeping "your" coins out of the wrong hands. This comes to mind after reading the thread about the person having trouble getting an activation code for an APE coin. I suggested that obtaining codes on line can keep coins more secure, if the page is set up to capture info about the requestor.

I've had eBay sellers ask for my geocaching.com ID (if I didn't already volunteer it), which I think could be another good measure. I tend to look to see how active the cacher is before I purchase something from them.

What other ideas do you have?

Happy Trails!

Have them tell you the tracking number so that you can check to see if it is an activated geocoin with a mission...

if it is already activated, then don't trade/buy the geocoin...it's stolen

if it is not already activated, then feel free to trade/buy...it's not stolen

Jamie - NFA

Have them tell you the tracking number so that you can check to see if it is an activated geocoin with a mission...

Jamie - NFA

Ownership of Tracking and Ownership of the Coin are two different things. Moun10bike for example retains the tracking on his coins even if he gives away or trades his coins to others. Some others do the same.

Also unactivated coins can be stolen. Bad trade etc.

Jamie - NFA

Ownership of Tracking and Ownership of the Coin are two different things. Moun10bike for example retains the tracking on his coins even if he gives away or trades his coins to others. Some others do the same.

In the majority of cases, accessing the tracking number would be effective, and it is much easier than a registry to implement...

Jamie - NFA

In the majority of cases, accessing the tracking number would be effective, and it is much easier than a registry to implement...

Yes and no. It's not one stop shopping since you have half a dozen tracking sites to look at, and you still have to cross check just in case someone has retained the tracking but given up owning the coin.

KISS. That's the solution needed.