Computerless and Paperless w/Treo 700p...Is it possible?

WowSam

While I have a few macs and an old PC am wondering if I can dispense with computers and somehow download gpx files to a registered geocaching.com account to the treo and then get the data from the treo to the GPS?...in this case a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx. I know I'll need Cachemate on the treo....but is this possible...what other software and hardware (cables) would be necessary...assuming this is even possible.

I have a sprint Treo 700p and theoretically would not even need a computer to get the data...question is how to get to the GPS from the Treo. Not sure if there is a special cable to connect the treo and the 60Csx?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.....my Gps is on its way this week!

I've got a Treo 650 and I have used cachemate with .loc files and it is fairly easy to use with the hotsync cable. I've also used the WAP site. I've also cut and pasted to the memos area. I've also sent an email with the info so there are many ways to get the info to the phone. Just threw the dog a bone after 2 years so in a few days I'll get to play with the .gpx files. If I can get the info to the phone anyone can. Take your time, read and follow the directions.

Just make sure that you have all the factory software installed and you should not have any problems. I have not played with any other programs so I can offer no information on them.

as for the GPS all I use is the factory software and download the .loc file then open the mapping software and load the .loc file and then click on send to GPS, again this is using the factory software and provided USB cable.

Edited by bogleman

I'm not sure about the garmin unit, but I can do completely paperless with only my treo 700w and explorist 500 via the SD card.

I have the pq's sent directly to my phone without being zipped. I then save to main memory. I use cachemate to export to .gs file for the explorist. Then I just insert the SD card from the explorist into the treo and copy the files over.

I'm pretty sure that cachemate has an export plugin for garmin as well. The question in your case is whether or not you can connect via serial interface. I don't know the answer to that.

I had just seen a listing for http://www.pc-mobile.net/ which carries PDA to GPSr cables, so that you can load info directly from your PDA to GPSr without PC. so, as long as you can get the data into your PDA, you can move it to your GPSr. or if you have cachemate's cacheNav plugin, you don't need to move anything into the GPSr, it will relay the NMEA data to your PDA and show you where the cache is.

Im also wondering somthing along the same lines.... only instead of a treo 700 my question is with a treo 90.... any help here?

I was thinking about trying to use a gps with my dads old treo 90. I have had no luck with finding software for that thing.... its a pre-smartphone treo

Edited by wolfbait

Ok I have installed cachemate.

I have imported the .pdb files.

I have a bluetooth GPS (Holux slim 236).

I have tried cachenav. I also read there is a plugin for the garmin gps.

Is there a way to integrate this into someother Mapping software on the palm (like mapopolis)????

Hope you u understand my reply...