downtimes from geocaching.com

D-Buddi

Well, it seems that the dreaded Server Too Busy error has reared his ugly head. It's one of those beasts that, like a bad horror movie, seems to jump up again right when the heroine of the tale is sure that it is finally dead.

Unfortunately it's also one of those issues that has been hard to sort out. We believe it may have to do with how memory for the web servers are handling cache data, but nothing has been proven. Ultimately we tweaked the server several times today which has been causing additional delay times, but it seems to be up and fine now.

We'll continue to monitor the site over the next few days and see what else we can do to alleviate the issue. Thanks for your patience during this process.

the time is coming i have to renew my Premium Membership. So i want to know how long it will run like the last month, when i start my browser its a chance of 50% that geocaching.com ist down... i thing geocaching.com is a fine site but i will not pay for a site most time down when i want to use it, then its better to change to another site...

greetings, Joerg

Joerg

The site really isn't down that much. Granted on those few occasions when it is down, it always seems to be the worst possible time. But there is a problem with your solution of "then its better to change to another site..."

What other site could you possibly have in mind? Please share! You can't find another GPS Treasure Hunt site that is half as good for ten times the money. It just doesn't exist. Do what you have to do, but you really don't have any other comparable option. I hope you were just venting frustration and feel better now.

It may be your browser rather than GC.com. I was having the same problem as you. About 50% of the time when I was trying to connect through AOL I was getting the "Page cannot be displayed" error. However if I went through IE I had no problems what so ever. Try clearing everything out like cookies, temp files etc..and see if that helps.

El Diablo

Maybe I was trying at different times than you, but I only remember problems on 2 days that lasted for about 3 hours each.

perhabs other times, also can see in www.geo-forum.de, the german forum, there are an own thread for this problems running over month...

greetings Joerg

Good Luck finding anything even close to geocaching.com. You'll be back soon...

I agree with briansnat, there were only a couple of times that I found it unavailable.

its a little bit stupid my english is not so good to say it better... i dont know why everyone be angry... i only want to know if there is a real chance that it becomes better in time because i have no fun to pay for bad solutions... Why should i come back soon, opencaching.de comes better an better... since now i use gc.com an i like it but in the last month it is very often down most in the time when i use it (GERMAN time).

Jörg

Edited by D-Buddi

I don't think they have had their morning coffee yet. :) Seriously, though, you can choose to not renew, but still keep using the site for free, and wait and see if the problems you are having go away. Briansnat is right, though, there were only two days I really saw site problems. Maybe it's linked to something on your end?

and today was down again... Server too busy...

Greetings Jörg

It happened to me too, but I hit refresh and it fine after that. It didn't seem to be a prolonged problem. There are spikes in website usage that can cause these temporary problems.

Edited by briansnat

I just had it not come up for me a few minutes ago so i tried another website and what do you know, it didnt come up either. Doesn't happen very often but when it does, i just close the AOL (i know, aol is badddddd), then restart and it usually comes up fine. There are a few times when the server is busy or that GC.com is actually having problems but i havn't see this too often.

[the time is coming i have to renew my Premium Membership. So i want to know how long it will run like the last month, when i start my browser its a chance of 50% that geocaching.com ist down... i thing geocaching.com is a fine site but i will not pay for a site most time down when i want to use it, then its better to change to another site...

greetings, Joerg

There IS no other site that offers what geocaching.com does!

Geocaching.com (Groundspeak) depends on Premium Memberships to support itself. It has growing pains and budget limitations like all startups, and computer problems like any IT service company.

Taking your money out by dropping your Premium Membership only hurts all of us.

a chance of 50% that geocaching.com ist down

Really? I think this supports the saying that 85% of statistics are made up!

You may have connection issues, but I assure you that this site is not down 50% of the time, or even 5%.

Hang in there, support them with Premium Membership so they can continue to grow, and try to get someone to help with connection issues... they aren't Groundspeak's problem but I bet they'd help you if you asked.

Ed

Opencaching.de does a good job for Germany. But it has free GPX files, so I guess you can say it doesn't offer what Groundspeak offers.

[Groundspeak] has growing pains and budget limitations like all startups ...

Startup?!? Groundspeak was founded in 2000. That's practically mesozoic in internet time! :huh:

Edited by Yellow ants

[the time is coming i have to renew my Premium Membership. So i want to know how long it will run like the last month, when i start my browser its a chance of 50% that geocaching.com ist down... i thing geocaching.com is a fine site but i will not pay for a site most time down when i want to use it, then its better to change to another site...

greetings, Joerg

Geocaching.com (Groundspeak) depends on Premium Memberships to support itself. It has growing pains and budget limitations like all startups, and computer problems like any IT service company.

Taking your money out by dropping your Premium Membership only hurts all of us.

a chance of 50% that geocaching.com ist down

Really? I think this supports the saying that 85% of statistics are made up!

You may have connection issues, but I assure you that this site is not down 50% of the time, or even 5%.

Hang in there, support them with Premium Membership so they can continue to grow, and try to get someone to help with connection issues... they aren't Groundspeak's problem but I bet they'd help you if you asked.

Ed

This thing's about 5 years old now. Should be well enough established not to have these problems. I can see the guy's point, but I'm in it for the longhaul. Can't say I've ever had a problem accessing the site in the year plus that I've been a member.

Sunday, round about 16.00 PM, and again... not only me, ALL German, can see in www.geo-club.de...

Server Too Busy

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server Too Busy

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Server Too Busy]

System.Web.HttpRuntime.RejectRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +146

MfG Jörg