Pre-Pre-Orders

Rubiconlwb

Is it just me or are more and more coins being placed on the forums with basically no information associated? It seems to me like there are a number of coins being announced on this forum where the only thing we get as possible buyers is a graphic. Nothing about price, size, thickness, metal, finish, shipping rates. Will it be trackable? Will there be an icon? When will it be available? Apparently I am being nit-picky but I refuse to commit to a coin unless I think I will actually follow-through with payment and I only know that when I have the information that I have listed. I suppose I could say 'sign me up for one' just because I like the graphic and then wait to see what the details are before I actually follow-through with a purchase. I will not do that because I don't think it is fair to say I will buy a coin and then back out because of a detail later on. Maybe I am out of touch but I prefer that coin creators wait until they have all the details before they list their coin on the forum. I even like it if there is a photo of a proof because I often cannot visualize what the coin will look like from a graphic. What do others think?

I have sold one coin so for but working with another cacher on a second. In both cases I have chosen to do the following:

1. Post an add with all the information that you asked for.

2. Take pre-orders

3. Post picture of production samples. (shows commitment to make the coin seeing as when you get the samples you have to already pay for the mold approx $250 in total cost)

4. Invoice pre-sales and place order with mint. (14-17 days delivery time to me)

5. Get coins and ship with 3-4 days.

I believe the artwork I have gotten is very realistic, making it easier to visualize the coin.

geocoin-gold.jpg

How can you commit to something with rough artwork, unless you are just trying to get feedback on the design. I know I have done that on the second coin. I haven't been here that long and don't know all the coins. Posted the second idea for feedback and also to find out if there are other coins like it already. Didn't can it pre-sales, called it looking for feedback.

I have noticed it too. And I'm glad you brought it up. I think people are trying to gauge the market before they actually proceed. I'm not sure this is what these forums are for either. It was supposed to be kept as non-commercial as possible. And coins have become quite a big business! I've often wondered if anyone has been stuck with a lot of unsold coins?

It's simple, if you want to post a pre-sale, try to have your information as complete as possible. Inquiring minds will want to know. How many threads like that have you seen opened where the next few posts ask questions like "How many will you mint?" "What metals?" "How much?" "How Big?" "How much for shipping, or is it included?" How much for shipping overseas" "Will you be willing to trade for one of my personals" "Can I have number#?"

Get all your ducks in a row first, and then post your pre-sale.

"How many will you mint?" "What metals?" "How much?" "How Big?" "How much for shipping, or is it included?" How much for shipping overseas" "Will you be willing to trade for one of my personals" "Can I have number#?"

Is there a template out there for us who are new. If not maybe someone should develope and have it pinned? Would be willing to help. Think I have put something nice together.

I'll take 2 of each metal

2 of what?

It was a joke aimed at hair-trigger geocoin addicts who jump at these threads, and make possible the sale of solely commercial, poorly deigned, and poor quality geocoins...never mind...

Jamie

No problem. I like it. There are alot of those people out there. I am glad geocaching is my addiction and not coins. The cost difference is considerable.

I think the reason you see that is because they are not well thought out nor ideas that relate to caching.

You rarely see those type of posts for a coin that is directly related to caching, a state coin, etc. These seem to usually be the ones that "stretch" the connection IMO.

In the past, people made coins because they knew they would sell. Now, it's just not the case anymore and people aren't willing to invest in the coin and take the chance.

But I agree with Eartha. It's rare to see a non-commerical thread in here these days.

Now if somebody will just move my coins around, I cna bump my traveling coins thread. :)

I have 100 or so Meades Ranch coins that did not sell, but they are going fine on EBAY. The E Market is much more profitable than the forums, but the ability to share the history of the mark with those collectors that were truly interested was great and I would not want to change that at all.

There seems to be a trend towards multiple coins being produced by a few in quick succession. The scary problem for all of us is if they decide to walk off with the pre paid money and not produce the coin. Are we each going to file a small claims suit for ten to thirty bucks, nope, we would just lose while they walk away with several thousand. I missed the Wyoming coin mess, but it is a case that we all fear, shipment is claimed and coins are not arriving. Glen

I'll take 2 of each metal

2 of what?

It was a joke aimed at hair-trigger geocoin addicts who jump at these threads, and make possible the sale of solely commercial, poorly deigned, and poor quality geocoins...never mind...

Jamie

There is a hair-trigger geocoin?

I'll take 2 :)

As a newbie, I thought this forum was ONLY for the sale of new coins.

Can I post a question like: "I'm try to find an 'I found it!' coin

to move along, no need to buy it, (though, if anyone has one....)

how can I do a search for this?"

Would this be the right place for this question?

BTW I really am looking to have this question answered. :)

Edited by nooks

BTW I really am looking to have this question answered. :)

Here or the other trave lbug forum. Either one for that question.

Never mind the details of who, what, and how much... do you want some of these yet to be minted coins or not?? :)

I agree with what Eartha said about people trying to gauge interest. Which is of course kinda screwy because some (many?) people won't commit until they get various details. In some cases the design even seems to change a little bit before the coin gets done... always makes me wonder why some people ask for 'two of each metal' without the details being at least mostly firm :).

G'day

As one who seems to often ask at least one question, e.g., international shipping I agree.

I have also got to the point where I will not order and pay for coins that are not available for shipping within a week or so. Having had to wait often over a month for a coin to ship after payment has turned me off. I am not a bank.

Andrew

I'm just an observer here, but it seems like this forum is often a no-win situation

Some people list a completed, ready-to-go coin, and get taken to task because they did not seek the opinion of the "community"

Others ask for input, and are admonished for not providing enough detail

I am interested in playing this game, but sometimes I have a hard time understanding the rules . . .

I'm just an observer here, but it seems like this forum is often a no-win situation

Some people list a completed, ready-to-go coin, and get taken to task because they did not seek the opinion of the "community"

Others ask for input, and are admonished for not providing enough detail

I am interested in playing this game, but sometimes I have a hard time understanding the rules . . .

Generally speaking, if it's your own personal coin (which means your name is on it) then nobody expects you to look for feedback. This is where it gets annoying when there aren't enough details regarding the coin.

The other coins that don't fall into this category just fall into a big ole' mess category.

I'll bite! I have a hair trigger. I've been known to buy the swamp land because someone said it was a geocoin. :laughing: It started because I missed out on some coins I really wanted, because I wasn't fast enough. I'm trying to get control. I never thought about someone actually selling coins that don't exist. Has anyone started a 12 step program? :laughing: I'm going to try to take a deep breath & count to 10 before I click my mouse. I'm trying. I really, really am........... Now where was that swamp land coin? I don't have it yet. :ph34r:

I dream of the day when there is more discussion about coins and their travels (like in the Travel Bug forum threads), and less about new coin sales. If only! There are new coins literally every day. It's to the point where we're getting duplicate ideas, even triplicate. You may post to talk about cool coins any time you wish. :laughing:

BTW I really am looking to have this question answered. :laughing:

I agree Eartha, the way it used to be. Ahhh the good old days! I really think that TPTB need to split the geocoin forums in two. We need a gecoin sales forum and a "let's talk coins" (no sales allowed) forum, that way the actual dialog about coins doesn't end up quickly on page 5. I would love to come in and hear about travels and such without wading through all the sales. What are we averaging like 3 new sales a day (at least!)?

I agree Eartha, the way it used to be. Ahhh the good old days! I really think that TPTB need to split the geocoin forums in two. We need a gecoin sales forum and a "let's talk coins" (no sales allowed) forum, that way the actual dialog about coins doesn't end up quickly on page 5. I would love to come in and hear about travels and such without wading through all the sales. What are we averaging like 3 new sales a day (at least!)?

I wasn't around for the good ol' days, but I would appreciate a coins discussion section seperate from new coin sales/input. I know it would save me money.

Now If I could just....not.....press....the...button. Dooh! I just bought two more ;)