Who has logged the most finds?

Jeepster++

...duck and cover...

jeepster104,

You seem to be a newer member with few posts so I'll explain. The question that you ask has been asked before and debated heavil in the past. Several times. It usually turns into a personal attack thread that results in someone getting banned from from the forums. Pull up a chair. This could be a long thread. Or, it could get shut down by the mods before it gets good. Either way, it should be interesting.

Edited by hikergps

EDIT:

Team Alamo CCCooperagency

:rolleyes:

I can't find the profile for Team Alamo for some reason.

El Diablo

Probably because I put a space in there, I think is supposed to be TeamAlamo.

Anyway here is the link El D:

TeamAlamo

And for the OP, I'm getting my info here: Cacher stats website.

Actually CCCooperagency is at 17460. There are only 33 caches seperating the two. At the rate they cache that can change within the hour.

El Diablo

Who has logged the most finds? I’ve seen some pretty high numbers so I’m wondering who has the most? Is there a scoreboard somewhere? What about hides?

Since you signed up with GC.com on June 11, 2006, I'm not sure if you are asking a "newbie question." In any case, I'll ignore the number of finds you have, but will consider your 6 hides. :ph34r:

As with any hobby/sport, newbies are eager to find out how an activity measures achievement. For example, "how high does it fly, how fast does it go" for model airplanes, "what's his batting average, how many homeruns has he hit" for baseball, and "how many finds has he logged, how many hides does he have" for Geocaching.

It's just a number. The beauty of most human activities is that there are many ways to have fun. :rolleyes:

I have met all of the cachers with 10,000 finds or more except CCCooperAgency. If anything, the number of finds measure their dedication to Geocaching. I'm surprised they aren't sick of it yet. Even these "Mega Cachers" have their own ways to measure fun and achievements other than the number of finds they have, as you will find out if you ever meet any of them in person.

As for TeamAlamo, no need to start a flame war here. Locals keep their eyes on him, mostly in a good-natured way. :rolleyes:

I don’t spend much time in the forums but I have nothing better to do on this rainy day.

While poking around I noticed someone who has close to 7,000 finds and I wondered if anyone has more. I can’t believe people have over 17,000 finds, when do they find time to sleep?

The numbers aren’t important to me (although it is kind of cool to hit a milestone). I would prefer to go after a 7 part multi that takes me all around the woods and shows me things I’ve never seen before than go after 7 caches hidden next to each other behind a strip of stores.

Didn’t mean to start any wars, guess I’ll duck back into the woods now, thanks for the link Airmapper.

If you've ever met and cached with CCCooperAgency, you'd know that she's just one step shy of having Starbucks hooked up on an IV drip (why else do you think she has a cache at just about every Starbucks in the local area) and that when out caching, sleep is an optional luxury.

And budd-rdc ... I suspect if you'd extend an invite to her, she might just be crazy enough to show and go caching with you all. (I know she just got back from a couple weeks in Germany doing, what else?, caching).

Edited by Lasagna
Actually CCCooperagency is at 17460. There are only 33 caches seperating the two. At the rate they cache that can change within the hour.

Since the cacherstats page was last updated, CCCooperagency has closed the lead from 55 caches to 32. I suspect that this lead probably bounces back and forth depending on how quickly either party logs his/her finds.

BAM!

(otherwise known as my obligatory post everytime this comes up)

(also known as a "useful statistic" as opposed to the "completely meaningless to everyone but that particular cacher statistic" that is used now)

uniques.jpg

EDIT: My 666th post! Evil Monkey is pleased.

Edited by ThePropers

People have asked in the past about how many people are on the team for CCCooper Agency, and folks that know Lynn all swear she's finding and logging all the caches by herself.

The other leader, Team Alamo, also has a name that suggests more than one person is on the team.

I don't know either team, but the great thing is... no matter how many of their finds are legit, faked, whatever, it won't make a difference to anyone except them. And my numbers won't matter to anyone except me. :)

I love my numbers, but I don't expect anyone else to.

People have asked in the past about how many people are on the team for CCCooper Agency, and folks that know Lynn all swear she's finding and logging all the caches by herself.

Like many cachers, myself included, CCCA is actually a family. It's Lynn, her husband, her young daughter, and teenage son. She has another daughter, SBUX who herself was a major cacher back in the day, but she is no longer active.

Lynn is who most people refer to as the CCCA, as she does the majority of the caching by herself. If she is not by herself, I am guessing she is along for 99.9999% (give or take) of the cache finds. I do know of 2 caches where Lynn was not along for the find, but who cares?

I do know Lynn, and she is a super-nice person, and although she doesn't visit the forums (that I know of) she'd probably be hurt to hear all the disrespect people dish out here (both to her and other people whom they've never met). For all the talk about "numbers don't matter" that go on, apparently they do when you're CCCA or TeamAlamo, I guess.

I love my numbers, but I don't expect anyone else to.

I love your numbers too. I love them long time. And the 8 is my favorite...all those curves. Mmmm....Wait, did I say that out loud?

I do know Lynn, and she is a super-nice person, and although she doesn't visit the forums (that I know of) she'd probably be hurt to hear all the disrespect people dish out here (both to her and other people whom they've never met). For all the talk about "numbers don't matter" that go on, apparently they do when you're CCCA or TeamAlamo, I guess.

Actually, numbers DO matter. The controversy is in HOW they matter to each person.

I think the "Mega Cachers" are aware of how they are held up to a higher standard. I don't think we need to force them to cache solo, just because they have logged a lot of finds. :D Caching in a group DOES significantly cut the search time, but it also depends on who you cache with. I've gone caching with 5 of the 8 people in the cacherstats.com leaderboard, and their experience shows - they can find caches in a matter of seconds, even the difficult ones. I've yet to see any of them just sit back and wait for others to search then just sign the log.

So... go caching with a friend! It's a bonus for being social. If you "cheat" then there's a conspiracy (we all love that :) ), and if you break up with your friend, a witness to the "crime." :)

Actually, numbers DO matter. The controversy is in HOW they matter to each person.

I think the "Mega Cachers" are aware of how they are held up to a higher standard.

The "Mega Cachers" may be aware that they are held to a higher standard in these forums, but it probably doen't matter a frog's :laughing: to them. The reason is that all of the "Mega Cachers" understand that geocaching is a fun game and not a serious competition where you need referees to ensure that rules are being followed. To them, its all about having fun. If they were not having fun they would have quit geocaching long before they got to such high numbers. The purtitans can post all they want here about how the statistics are now worthless because everyone doesn't apply the same standards. Some people are having to much fun to care what the puritans think.

El Diablo

Don't you mean "At the rate they post smileys?" :laughing:

No...That's not what I meant. I said at the rate they cache. I don't understand how you could misunderstand what I said. :laughing:

Everytime this comes up there has to be someone that wants to question wether the finds are legit or not. Both of those cachers could wipe off several thousand finds each and still be heads and shoulders above the rest of the pack.

El Diablo

CCCA will log a ‘find’ on caches that are no longer in existence, if the cache owner allows such untruthfulness. Most of the community considers it an abomination to log Found It when there’s nothing there to find, thus the numbers become apples vs. oranges. Regardless of your position on the matter, the numbers are incomparable.

CCCA will log a ‘find’ on caches that are no longer in existence...

...thus the numbers become apples vs. oranges. Regardless of your position on the matter, the numbers are incomparable.

Hello jeepster104. This logic is always presented when this topic comes up but it needs to be tempered by the facts. Many will make these blanket statements as if you could write off someone's integrity entirely because they have loged some questionable finds. To make it apples to apples you would need to know how many questionable finds have been logged and then subtract them from the total.

I suspect that nearly all cachers have some questionable finds but it is hard for me to imagine that anyone with over 1000 finds has more than 1 to 3% questionable finds. During day to day caching you just don't come across the opportunity to log more than about 3% questionable finds, unless you are logging finds for caches that are missing. If you logged evey cache you didn't find as if you did find them you would still have no more than 10% inappropriate finds. Not likely that anyone logs all their no finds as if they found them.

So if we adjust 17500 finds,

17500 minus 1% = 17325

17500 minus 3% = 16975

and for my worst case example,

17500 minus 10% = 15750

we get a pretty damned substantial amount of geocaching done by that team.

Most of the community considers it an abomination to log Found It when there’s nothing there to find

I'm not sure I would use the word abomination but I agree that it is totally inappropriate.

With over 100 caches placed over a five year period, though, I have only found 2 or 3 of these and I did delete them. I just don't think this is happening in any great numbers. No one has presented any evidence here that I have read that shows this is prevelant or that when someone does it that it is more than 1 to 3% of their find total.

I find it silly to use the "even if x% of mega cacher's finds are questionable they still have more than you" argument. My suspicion is that the mega-cachers claim finds that some find questionable because they feel they have accomplished something that they think deserves a smiley. The most commonly cited examples are logging events multiple times because they found a temporary event cache and logging find when they were with the cache owner (or perhaps called the owner for a lifeline) and the cache was confirmed missing and then replaced the missing cache. Each person will have to make their own judgment as to whether they would log these and some other cases like forgetting a pen or pencil or the log book being to wet to sign. It doesn't make sense to rank people based on either the number of caches they found or the number of found logs they have entered. Still it may be interesting to know who has the most just out of curiosity.

Most of the community considers it an abomination to log Found It when there’s nothing there to find, thus the numbers become apples vs. oranges.

Is it any wonder I refer to them as puritans? :laughing: Edited by tozainamboku

How can you equate a guy that has hiked up 30 mountains to find 50 caches with someone who has lifted up 500 roadside lamp post covers?

You could compare their smilies.

Or their bellies :ph34r: .
:laughing: Imagine how different the record would be if we earned one smiley for each calorie we burned while finding a cache! :laughing: The typical mountain would be worth 500-1000 smileys! Who would have the record if they did it that way!? Edited by TrailGators

How can you equate a guy that has hiked up 30 mountains to find 50 caches with someone who has lifted up 500 roadside lamp post covers?

I've hiked 12 miles with Criminal to bag three smilies. That day ROCKED. A picture from that day is on my profile page. We had fun.

I've hiked 12 miles with CCCooperAgency to bag one smiley. She had already found the cache, but since I was in town and wanted to find it, she was happy to tag along for a repeat trip. We had fun, except for the part where we got stuck on top of the mountain after dark, and had but one penlight to guide us back down to the car.

I've spent an evening with Criminal at a fine drinkng establishment, forsaking the dozens of nearby Tacoma caches because at that particular time, having a beer with Criminal was more fun for both of us. Criminal doesn't go much for numbers runs.

I've spent evenings with CCCooperAgency running up find counts like 30 or 50, forsaking many nearby taverns because at that particular time, finding park and grabs with CCCooperAgency was more fun for both of us. She doesn't go much for taverns.

So there, it is pretty darn easy to equate the two. Next question?

Or their bellies :ph34r: .
:laughing: Imagine how different the record would be if we earned one smiley for each calorie we burned while finding a cache! :laughing: The typical mountain would be worth 500-1000 smileys! Who would have the record if they did it that way!?

They could still be comparable. After all, you still get to choose where you park.

I've hiked 12 miles with Criminal to bag three smilies. That day ROCKED. A picture from that day is on my profile page. We had fun.

I've hiked 12 miles with CCCooperAgency to bag one smiley. She had already found the cache, but since I was in town and wanted to find it, she was happy to tag along for a repeat trip. We had fun, except for the part where we got stuck on top of the mountain after dark, and had but one penlight to guide us back down to the car.

I've spent an evening with Criminal at a fine drinkng establishment, forsaking the dozens of nearby Tacoma caches because at that particular time, having a beer with Criminal was more fun for both of us. Criminal doesn't go much for numbers runs.

I've spent evenings with CCCooperAgency running up find counts like 30 or 50, forsaking many nearby taverns because at that particular time, finding park and grabs with CCCooperAgency was more fun for both of us. She doesn't go much for taverns.

I think I got it:

12 miles for one mountain top cache + no beer =

12 miles for three mountain top caches + beer =

30-50 urban caches + no beer

:laughing:

I have to agree with what tailGators says.

If you only do lamp post micros you can rack up hundreds of finds. Also with Florida having well over 10000 and California having well over 30000 active caches. it is not hard to rack up mega finds.

lamp post micros have there place and they are sometimes welcome after a long day of hiking. But I have to draw the line went you are able to spend 10 hrs and be able to find 105 caches (and 90% of them lamp posts)

I think it may be time to just say no to any more lamp post micros, and focus on quality rather than quantity.

I have to agree with what tailGators says.

If you only do lamp post micros you can rack up hundreds of finds. Also with Florida having well over 10000 and California having well over 30000 active caches. it is not hard to rack up mega finds.

lamp post micros have there place and they are sometimes welcome after a long day of hiking. But I have to draw the line went you are able to spend 10 hrs and be able to find 105 caches (and 90% of them lamp posts)

I think it may be time to just say no to any more lamp post micros, and focus on quality rather than quantity.

On the other hand, who cares?

I don't really care about the numbers, stats, or the who's who of caching. I am just in it to get out and explore some interesting places.

I would rather hike 15 kms to find one cache than do 40 parking lot micros.

I think caches should be based more on quailty and unique containers in interesting areas rather than a parking lot at a mall.

Rest stop caches can be interesting, and a nice way to break up a long drive. I have done a few that were well done interesting containers and others that have been a waste of time.

I think I got it:

I wanted to correct your math just a bit.

12 mile mountain top cache + 30/50 caches = 12 mile mountian top cache + beer

Therefore 30/50 caches = beer

I think I got it:

I wanted to correct your math just a bit.

12 mile mountain top cache + 30/50 caches = 12 mile mountian top cache + beer

Therefore 30/50 caches = beer

We can log beer?! :P Then I better get logging! I could have the record! :ph34r: Can we log 100 caches for a good microbrew? :P The funny thing is that we were talking about logging slices of pizza at events in our local thread. Since we heard that other people were logging 50-100 pocket caches at events; we thought pizza would be much better! :P But how many slices of pizza do think think should equal a cache? Is one OK? :P

Edited by TrailGators