It's Time Again!

Team Rampant Lion

Believe it or not, another year has gone by and it is time for the Third Annual Caching Through The Snow Event get together. The event will be held Sunday, December 10th at 12:00 (noon) and, as usual, the event will be held at Krogh's in Sparta, NJ. The event page will eventually be listed here.

For those of you interested in a pre-event cache competition, hold the morning open as well. We will meet at 9:00 AM at a location to be determined. I will work to re-populate a few areas close by that we can hunt. It may include a group race format but that will be determined by whether I get permissions for a few areas.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Edited by Team Rampant Lion

Looking forward to another snowy event. Thanks Kev. :laughing:

Dude - if you drive, you better have heat. I almost died on the way home last year. You must have read my mind about the date, Kev, I couldn't make the 2nd and was worried you would have made it earlier this year. Looking forward to this one again.

With any luck there will be coins for the event!

There will be a special gold coin available to attendees only (limit 1 per geocacher attending until we see who wants them - only 50 available) and a black nickel version that will be more widely available. Cost will be $8 per coin or $15 for a set of one each. Proceeds will all go to NNJC to fund the awards for the "Best of NNJC" annual event.

Please drop me an email with your interests. Here is the design:

6ddd7816-a647-44a8-8d1a-60d929e787cb.jpg

Ok - for those of you who have been asking here are the details for the morning hunt. We will meet at 9:00 AM at the following coordinates - N41 02.355 W074 37.122 which is in the Sparta Glen park area.

I placed six new caches today that we will use for our hike. This year, to break up the size of the group, we will be breaking into 2 or 3 teams to have a little competition. I will have a different route for each team. Bring your good climbing knees, cameras (the bears are still out and about), and plenty of hydration.

A few of you were asking about appropriateness for kids. There are some challenging areas and I won't expect a very young child would enjoy the challenge. There are some significant climbs, a lot of trees down in the area following the wind last week and thorn bushes. My kids (age 10 and up) have all done the routes and with good hiking boots, find it very doable.

Looking forward to a great day!

This where I am with the Caching Through The Snow III coin orders, please drop me an email if I missed your order or have you down for the wrong amount:

Cacher

geobnrd 1 gold/1 black nickel

viking66 1 gold/1 black nickel

macatac 1 gold/1 black nickel

Squealy 1 gold/1 black nickel

CAZRAY 1 gold/1 black nickel

ACE2090 1 gold/1 black nickel

Pink Panther 1 gold/1 black nickel

Conman 1 gold/1 black nickel

Quoddy 1 gold/1 black nickel

PBS 1 gold/3 black nickel

vanm 1 gold/1 black nickel

accbd 1 gold/ 1 black nickel

Walkin Ed 1 gold/1 black nickel

dhenninger 1 gold/1 black nickel

klizich 1 gold

3bunts 1 gold

Edited by Team Rampant Lion

As of today, I have heard from about 39 cachers who plan to participate in the pre-event hike and a few more who will join us at the restaurant. The weather forecast does not include snow :ph34r: . But it is a great forecast for a hike (47 degrees, sunny) and the views should be great so bring cameras. :ph34r:

I will be archiving the old caches to make way for the new ones so if you haven't logged Sparta Glen Trailhead; Sparta Glen Rest Stop; Morris Lake Overlook, Ridge Trail; or Mountain Greenway get them soon as they will come down by Saturday.

Everything is looking good!

This where I am with the Caching Through The Snow III coin orders, please drop me an email if I missed your order or have you down for the wrong amount:

Cacher

geobnrd 1 gold/1 black nickel

viking66 1 gold/1 black nickel

macatac 1 gold/1 black nickel

Squealy 1 gold/1 black nickel

CAZRAY 1 gold/1 black nickel

ACE2090 1 gold/1 black nickel

Pink Panther 1 gold/1 black nickel

Conman 1 gold/1 black nickel

Quoddy 1 gold/1 black nickel

PBS 1 gold/3 black nickel

vanm 1 gold/1 black nickel

accbd 1 gold/ 1 black nickel

Walkin Ed 1 gold/1 black nickel

dhenninger 1 gold/1 black nickel

klizich 1 gold

3bunts 1 gold

UPDATE:

Here are the changes/new additions:

klizich 1 gold/1 black nickel

3 bunts 1 gold/1 black nickel

Lakelady 1 gold/1 black nickel

Old Navy 1 gold/1 black nickel

Ramsey LtD 1 gold/1 black nickel

Redtailfalconer 1 gold/2 black nickel

Tiffany's Slaves 1 gold/1 black nickel

The weather forecast does not include snow :huh: . But it is a great forecast for a hike (47 degrees, sunny) and the views should be great so bring cameras. B)

Last years snow made up for the lack of it the first year. That was an impressive hunt with 30+ cachers single filing it up the hill. Hopefully Skigirl will be there again to help with those particularly tricky TRL hides. <_<

26052d1f-e32c-4698-8e35-b5b874ebc6b8.jpg

The weather forecast does not include snow :D . But it is a great forecast for a hike (47 degrees, sunny) and the views should be great so bring cameras. :D

Last years snow made up for the lack of it the first year. That was an impressive hunt with 30+ cachers single filing it up the hill. Hopefully Skigirl will be there again to help with those particularly tricky TRL hides. :D

26052d1f-e32c-4698-8e35-b5b874ebc6b8.jpg

I thought it was call Caching Through the Snow, not Caching IN the Snow (and Under a Boulder) :laughing:

Good to see Brian giving a helping hand! :D

Whew! The coins made it, I was getting worried.

Group hikers - try to get to the parking area by 8:45 AM so we can launch by 9:00 AM. The turn in entrance to the Glen area is at N41 02.454 W074 37.455. We'll be in two groups, maybe three to break up our group size a bit.

For the Event group, try to get there as close to 12:00 (noon) as possible. There will likely be more people than spots as it is a relatively small restaurant. We have about 90% of the table reserved for us. Beer is great as always.

Should be fun!

Tomorrow is the big day! YAHOO – Caching Through The Snow III

I thought it would be worthwhile to share some details about the pre-event hike if you are planning to join us. First, please try to get to the parking location between 8:45 and 9:00 AM. We need to get going as soon as possible to make our reservations at the event restaurant.

Sparta is located off Route 15 (exit 34B off Route 80). Take that north to the CR-517 Sparta/Franklin (second Sparta exit). From there, take a right at the light, then a right at the next light and a left at the next light. Aim for N41 02.454 W074 37.455 to turn into the Sparta Glen area.

This will be a multi-group hike meaning that I have set up several routes to keep our groups a little smaller than last year. If you have not been to this area, please let me know as if we have enough folks in this category, I can add another couple routes. There are lots of travel bugs up in the caches, please help get them off the mountain and drop a few new ones in.

Here are some important notes and recommendations for the hike:

Wear good hiking boots (especially for kids). The area is fairly challenging as it has been the victim of a historic flood and now a hemlock decline so there is a lot of displaced rocks and dead trees. Also, the leaves are down and there are some steep pitches along the routes, this can make it seem a bit slick whether or not there is snow. Gym shoes are not a good idea. There will be some bushwhacking requirements.

Bring good hydration as you will need it. Bottom to top along the various routes will climb about 700 feet. Even though the whether is cool, it is a good idea to keep yourself hydrated to prevent cramping. Gatoraid is a good idea as well.

Pay attention to your surroundings. As mentioned above, while this is a beautiful area, you will see the remains of a lot of devastation. Unfortunately, there remains some dangerous conditions. While looking for the hide spots, I found myself underneath an enormous tree part hanging on a very small branch. May trees will fall over if you push on them. Please watch out for yourself and others.

Wear glasses and gloves. Sunglasses or regular glasses will keep you from getting a branch in the eye and in spots there are a lot of them. There were a lot of sticker bushes on the east side of the mountain, gloves make it a bit easier to get by.

There are bears. Four to be exact make this area home. The routes I have designed will keep you away from the known den areas. However, with the warmer temps predicted for Sunday (52 degrees) they will likely be up and about. It is likely that with our group sizes and noise they will avoid us but please review tips on what to do if you have an encounter as panic can lead to a bad encounter. If you know what to do (and have your cameras ready), it is a rare and fantastic experience to see a bear.

Hopefully, these recommendations don’t scare anyone off but I do want you well informed as it will make your morning much more enjoyable.

The cache coordinates will likely not be posted for you to enter in advance as I asked for the new caches not to be posted until tomorrow so one of you can be first to find. I will hand out sheets with the new information tomorrow morning. Since these are big groups there will be no clues. These hides are moderate difficulty and are very achievable. If some of you bring walkie talkies you can reach me if you get stuck.

For those of you who ordered coins, I would like to deliver those to you before the hike. Please bring cash for the coins you ordered. A single coin is $8.00 (gold LE or black nickel); a set is $15.00; each subsequent coin is $7.00. These coins are at a bit of a premium as I am donating all profit to NNJC to support their annual awards event.

The Scottish Toast on this year’s coin is “Lang may ye’re lum reek wi’ ither folks coal!” This translates to “Long may your fireplace smell of other folks coal!” This is a reference to having lots of friends. In Scotland, it is a tradition to bring a piece of coal when visiting a friends homes – sharing warmth and kinship. The spirit of this event is to bring us all together to celebrate our friendships before the holidays.

The weather forecast looks great! Sunny and 52 degrees. Likely a little cooler for our start but I have you on the sunny side of the mountain all morning. :huh:

You will be helping me celebrate my 100th hide once these caches are published and I can’t think of a better way to do that. Looking forward to a great day!

All the best!

Team Rampant Lion

Great day today, here was the line-up for the RED Team:

1. Sparta Glen Rest Stop [GCQZGX]
  2. Ridge Trail Cache [GCQZK7]
  3. The Motherload [GCVRMK]
  4. Mountain Top Greenway [GCQZKR]
  5. Sparta Valley View [GCQZMF]
  6. Morris Lake Overlook [GCQZM9]

Will post the other teams' lineups soon.

I created a bookmark for the event. It's called "Caching Through The Snow III" and can be found on any of the caches from the day. Hope you find it helpful. the order of the three teams is in the bookmark.

Perhaps this link will work

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...59-91a4fbc96048