GSAK and Garmin 60CSx on the Mac

FlagMan

After considerable pressure from my brother and son, I took the leap of faith and made the transition from PC to MAC. Many compatibility issues along the way, mostly with hardware rather than software. Seems many of my devices do not have drivers for the Mac. One of the most widespread issues is using GSAK and Garmins with a Mac. But I am happy to report that I have found a work-around for both issues. I have a MacBook Pro and am running Windows XP under Parallels, so GSAK is loaded under XP in the Parallels window. The USB cable does not work directly (Garmin promises to fix this soon), but a serial connection does work. Since the Mac does not have a serial port, I had to use a USB-to-Serial cable. That cable is plugged into the USB port on the Mac and the other end is connected to the serial cable for the Garmin. That connection now works swimmingly, although much slower than the direct USB connection on my PC. Anyway, I thought I would share this with anyone out there with the same issues as I faced with getting all my existing GSAK data to work with my Garmin 60CSx on the Mac...

Edited by FlagMan

Wrong place for this tread - but appeciated regardless. I've been addicted to Mac since well before PC's became so Mac-Like. :rolleyes: The only thing I need my PC for (in managing my 60csx) is updating the detailed mapping. Otherwise, it's a wonderful world without doing windows. :ph34r:

[

:ph34r: Control/Alt/Delete should be the command to trash your harddrive... not turn it on! :rolleyes: ]

That connection now works swimmingly, although much slower than the direct USB connection on my PC.

If you call going back in time 5 years swimmingly. :)

Sorry Tom - No Mac fan here but glad to hear it is working out for you anyway. RM

What's next, are you going to get a Magellan? :)

Nick

Don't be silly, he got a Mac 'cause it works swimmingly BETTER than Windows :) .

Yep.. and you can still run Windows software ! Awesome!

If there were a current mac app a PC user wanted to run, no way they'd be able to do it. But on a recent mac just fire up Parallels or boot right into XP. Awesome!

I have been considering getting a mac notebook but I love GSAK and cachemate as a combo for paperless caching. I had heard that it is possible to run windows on a mac, but I would guess that running windows would open your notebook up to viruses. Has anyone had issues with this? Any easy ways to paperless cache with a mac?

Thanks

Don't be silly, he got a Mac 'cause it works swimmingly BETTER than Windows :laughing: .

If there were a current mac app a PC user wanted to run, no way they'd be able to do it. But on a recent mac just fire up Parallels or boot right into XP. Awesome!

so you get a MAC to get away from Windows and then you load Windows on it?? :laughing:

Don't be silly, he got a Mac 'cause it works swimmingly BETTER than Windows :laughing: .

so you get a MAC to get away from Windows and then you load Windows on it?? :laughing:

Mac for seesies.

That's what they call "Mac Logic" :ph34r::P

I'm running GSAK happily on XP under Paralells on my MacBook here. The USB cable works great with my 60CSx and my PPC happily runs via the same cable so I can upload maps to it etc etc.

I only ever user GSAK and a mapping program (Memory Map) under XP and so am more happy about viruses although I do run anti-virus software on the XP side just in case.

I know Mac's are not for everyone but for those that love them, this is a great way of using GSAK as it only runs under Windows.

I know Mac's are not for everyone but for those that love them, this is a great way of using GSAK as it only runs under Windows.

Some people just arent happy unless they constantly have to "fix" something, and those of us who use macs know we don't have to do that.

geez people the ppc vs intel war is finally over, apple gave up. and they still do better with the intel chips than windows ever will. :laughing:

Some people just arent happy unless they constantly have to "fix" something, and those of us who use macs know we don't have to do that.

geez people the ppc vs intel war is finally over, apple gave up. and they still do better with the intel chips than windows ever will. :laughing:

I have never had to "fix" so many things as when I tried to switch over to the Mac. So, no, I would not recommend it to anyone. The Mac is a great machine if you have never had a PC and want to spend about 3x the dollars. But if you have been a PC user for any length of time, the learning curve switching to the Mac is long and steep. Just about everything important to me needed some sort of work-around that I had to spend considerable time (and money) researching and implementing. None of my devices just "plugged and played" like they do on a PC. All printers, Palms, and other devices needed extra software, drivers and/or cables or something else to work on the Mac. I don't think I ever would have spent 3x the money to buy a MacBook if I knew all this. So am I happy? Not really. More like exhausted with the process. Do I think most Mac users are a little bit arrogant? Yes.

Edited by FlagMan

I have never had to "fix" so many things as when I tried to switch over to the Mac. So, no, I would not recommend it to anyone. The Mac is a great machine if you have never had a PC and want to spend about 3x the dollars. But if you have been a PC user for any length of time, the learning curve switching to the Mac is long and steep. Just about everything important to me needed some sort of work-around that I had to spend considerable time (and money) researching and implementing. None of my devices just "plugged and played" like they do on a PC. All printers, Palms, and other devices needed extra software, drivers and/or cables or something else to work on the Mac. I don't think I ever would have spent 3x the money to buy a MacBook if I knew all this. So am I happy? Not really. More like exhausted with the process. Do I think most Mac users are a little bit arrogant? Yes.

I have to say i've never had that experience. i've used macs for many years now, and I'll admit that the old mac os (os 7-9) crashed often and had many issues, but were still more pleasant to use than windows.

Since OS 10, The OS has been extremely stable and i've had no issues at all, if i buy a new device i simply plug it in and it works. printer, palm. whatever. for my gps a usb to serial adaptor and i was set.

i've also had no problem with cards, i have a older G4 tower and I've bought extra USB cards and even HD controllers and popped them in and they just work! so it surprises me you say you have had so much trouble. I have not had any experience with the new intel macs though.

You also mention the learning curve, that may very well be your problem, and i'd possibly have similar issues with pc's since i've not used them. I went from apple 2's to commodore 64/128 then amiga straight to macs.

good luck with your mac, they work well and can do pretty much anything you want them to do, just dont expect them to work the same way as your pc or use the same software. with the new intel mac and bootcamp you should be happy with both worlds.

geez people the ppc vs intel war is finally over, apple gave up. and they still do better with the intel chips than windows ever will. :P

I have to say i've never had that experience. i've used macs for many years now, and I'll admit that the old mac os (os 7-9) crashed often and had many issues, but were still more pleasant to use than windows.

Since OS 10, The OS has been extremely stable and i've had no issues at all, if i buy a new device i simply plug it in and it works. printer, palm. whatever. for my gps a usb to serial adaptor and i was set.

i've also had no problem with cards, i have a older G4 tower and I've bought extra USB cards and even HD controllers and popped them in and they just work! so it surprises me you say you have had so much trouble. I have not had any experience with the new intel macs though.

You also mention the learning curve, that may very well be your problem, and i'd possibly have similar issues with pc's since i've not used them. I went from apple 2's to commodore 64/128 then amiga straight to macs.

good luck with your mac, they work well and can do pretty much anything you want them to do, just dont expect them to work the same way as your pc or use the same software. with the new intel mac and bootcamp you should be happy with both worlds.

You must not have a Konica high speed copier/printer/scanner;

or a Palm Treo

or an HP2100 parallel port printer

or a Brother All-In-One printer/scanner/copier/fax

or a Garmin 60CSx

or GSAK

or ExpertGPS

or Adobe Photoshop

or Adobe Acrobat (full version)

or Quickbooks

etc., etc., etc.

All of these things needed work-arounds to get them to work on the Mac. Some still only work in Parallels or on the Mac side but not both. All cost money, time and frustration to get to work. For instance, I had to buy both versions of the Adobe products (one for Mac and one for Parallels) if I want to be able to print from these application on all the printers since some of the printers simply do not work on the Mac side.

Granted, if you never owned a PC and just bought a Mac, and didn't work in an office environment with PC devices that you needed to connect to, all would probably come up roses. But that has not been my experience.

geez people the ppc vs intel war is finally over, apple gave up. and they still do better with the intel chips than windows ever will. :D

or a Palm Treo

or a Garmin 60CSx

or GSAK

or ExpertGPS

or Adobe Photoshop

or Quickbooks

etc., etc., etc.

All of these things needed work-arounds to get them to work on the Mac. Some still only work in Parallels or on the Mac side but not both. All cost money, time and frustration to get to work. For instance, I had to buy both versions of the Adobe products (one for Mac and one for Parallels) if I want to be able to print from these application on all the printers since some of the printers simply do not work on the Mac side.

Granted, if you never owned a PC and just bought a Mac, and didn't work in an office environment with PC devices that you needed to connect to, all would probably come up roses. But that has not been my experience.

:D:PAnd you changed to a MAC because why????? Good thing you like puzzles....

I "switched" in March 2003 and have never looked back! Would not dream of getting another PC. The learning curve is not all that bad, took me a month to get used to it. the main obstacle was my windoze mentality that it couldn't be that easy. As for plug and play, you are right, legacy devices like parallel printers don't play nice but then again, its tough to find parts for those Model T's too. My Palm syncs just fine (600, 650 & 700P). The Garmin inconvenience is an issue that I work around with MacGPS Pro & MacCM Convert for CacheMate. I can't wait for Garmin to finally get their head on straight and release Mac compatible software. Anyway, you play with windoze, I'll play with Macs. How you like dem Apples? LOL

This is copied and pasted straight from the Garmin Website:

Q. Is the iQue 3000/3200/3600 compatible with Apple Macintosh computers?

A. Garmin now offers a Palm Desktop for the Mac that is compatible with Mac OS X and above. This is a basic Palm desktop application only. Garmin MapSource options are only available in a Windows format. In the future, Garmin will offer a solution so Mac computers can work with Garmin devices in 2007.

geez people the ppc vs intel war is finally over, apple gave up. and they still do better with the intel chips than windows ever will. :grin:

or a Palm Treo

or a Garmin 60CSx

or GSAK

or ExpertGPS

or Adobe Photoshop

or Quickbooks

etc., etc., etc.

Some of you have me rolling on the floor. Adobe Photoshop is made for both Mac and PC as is Acrobat! So if you think it doesn't work with a Mac, then you obviously are ill informed. I used a PC for many years then switched when I couldn't get video editing to work on a PC. The switch to a Mac was painless. If a guy is using a PC for centuries then switches to a Mac of course there will be some transition, but probably less than when Windows 95 users switched to Windows 2000 and couldn't get their drivers and HW to work (I know because I was one of them). And I can't say that I've seen any computer shops advertising "We deinstall Leopard," such as I've seen with Windows Vista (your Mac like clone, BTW). I logged on to this thread to find a simple answer and about GSAK and Mac compatibility, not whether a PC is better than a Mac. Come on guys, get with the program here.

I wish they did advertise how to deinstall Leopard. It hosed several critical programs on my Mac, including the ability to create pdfs with the full version of Acrobat. A fix is supposed to be out soon, but I never would have bought and installed it if I knew it was going to hose that program. The only advantage to it that I have experienced is Time Machine (which is a great program). I would have preferred to just have Time Machine as an add-on since there was nothing else helpful to me and lots of things that Leopard broke.

Also, there are lots and lots of programs that won't run on a Mac (GSAK is one example). They only run on Windows. If you want to use them on a Mac, you need to run Windows as a virtual machine on the Mac. To do that, it takes tons of memory, slows everything down, and it is completely impractical to run both side by side all the time. I find myself having to constantly boot up Windows to do some small task, then shutting it down again so that I can work effectively on the Mac side.

Overall I am generally pleased with the Mac, but it is not the wonder machine that the mostly arrogant Mac users claim it is.

Edited by FlagMan

My neighbor just got a new Mac and that machine is really impressive. The whole computer is inside the wide-screen monitor. I also thought that super-thin keyboard was very, very cool. :o

A friend just had to get a new PC when the motherboard died in her old one.

Difference in price between the two machines was only $1000 . . . :)

For any mac people out there, take a look at the garmin site now. They just released everything you need at MacWorld last week.

http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/

Took a minutes to find the link, it appears to be nicely hidden on their website.

So now I can sell that PC that I bought (to load detailed maps). That should transfer a couple bucks into the gasoline fund. :D

Funny that my new Mac (with Windows XP) may already load the maps anyway. Has anyone done so yet? ;)

This thread is funny. I have been a PC user and developer for 12 years. I work for a shop that has mixed platforms and I finally decided to switch to a MacBook Pro with Parallels. Everything I used before is still usable on the Windows side and now I have access to the Mac world. It truly is the best of both worlds.

Anyone who wants to be dogmatic about PC just doesn't get it, doesn't want to get it and certainly is not being open minded. Mark my word... Mac is on a roll and I really think we are watching the demise of the PC in slow motion. I have had my share of Blue Screen of Death, hardware conflicts and driver failures. I'm not saying Mac does not have problems. Anything has problems, but when a company makes it possible for their competition's products to be used with their own products, you gotta respect that. It makes perfect marketing sense too.

I love computers and gadgets in general! I have always sneered at the Mac world myself (outside of graphics and media development, any goober know Mac has that down pat), but as of today, I am seeing things in an entirely new light and it is quite refreshing. If you have not tried it, don't knock it. In fact... don't knock it at all. Forums are for people to help people, not to look down on them.

Cache in Peace!

This thread is funny. I have been a PC user and developer for 12 years. I work for a shop that has mixed platforms and I finally decided to switch to a MacBook Pro with Parallels. Everything I used before is still usable on the Windows side and now I have access to the Mac world. It truly is the best of both worlds.

Anyone who wants to be dogmatic about PC just doesn't get it, doesn't want to get it and certainly is not being open minded. Mark my word... Mac is on a roll and I really think we are watching the demise of the PC in slow motion. I have had my share of Blue Screen of Death, hardware conflicts and driver failures. I'm not saying Mac does not have problems. Anything has problems, but when a company makes it possible for their competition's products to be used with their own products, you gotta respect that. It makes perfect marketing sense too.

I love computers and gadgets in general! I have always sneered at the Mac world myself (outside of graphics and media development, any goober know Mac has that down pat), but as of today, I am seeing things in an entirely new light and it is quite refreshing. If you have not tried it, don't knock it. In fact... don't knock it at all. Forums are for people to help people, not to look down on them.

Cache in Peace!

As much as I'd like to be a mac fanboy... (ok, not really... as I've said "my lips aren't afixed to Steve Jobs a**") I have to laugh at your response. You say that "when a company makes it possible for their competition's products to be used with their own products, you gotta respect that." That would be Microsoft. Apple has locked down their OS, and only allows their OS on Apple branded machines. Microsoft has allowed their product to run on their competitors' products, not the other way around.

As for how well Apple is doing, my iphone 3G is sucking a**, and I'm highly disappointed all around in the lack of smooth operations in it. The battery life sucks a**. My 4 year old Treo lasted DAYS longer than the iphone. The apps constantly crash, e-mail doesn't push to the phone as it's supposed to.

I've also had driver issues with the mac. We have a networked printer at work, which fails to print when I send a job to it. It registers the print job, however says 0 pages printed. I also purchased a scanner to use and am unable to use it with the Mac. It won't even work in Parallels. It does NOT work with the Mac hardware.

As for their most recent launch, I (along with a LOT of the electronics world) are less than impressed. ImmobileME, their 4+ hour dead zone during launch time, the OS for the iphone (they come with 345 and you have to do a restore to get the (slightly) more stable 347.

Apple has said jack squat about all the problems they've had. They gave everyone a free month for the immobileMe screw up... But I've yet to see or hear anything as for the iphone screw ups.

I've been using a Mac for over a year now exclusively, and I have to say I've had just as many problems (if not more) than with the PC. The mac freezes, bogs down and runs slowly, has connection issues, and doesn't play nicely at times. Programs crash. The same thing happens no matter what platform you're on. It's just when you become a Mac fanboy you lose sight of reality.

I agree that technology is fun and i also love gadgets, but when people are so biased one way or the other, and completely ignore the problems that their favorite has, it's just too much.

-Anyone who wants to be dogmatic about Apple just doesn't get it, doesn't want to get it and certainly is not being open minded.

-Anything has problems, but when a company(Microsoft) makes it possible for their competition's products (Macintosh) to be used with their own products (Windows), you gotta respect that.

Well, I made the switch last Xmas from PC to Mac, and it was a HUGE transition. Now, after a lil' over 7 months of using it - I am more than happy I switched. I agree wholeheartedly about having to spend more money to get things up n' running. I was using a Magellan at the time, and that presented it's own problems for reasons most of you already probably can imagine. My recollection, tho, is that my PC had it's quirks too ... which is why I kept getting the strong urge to toss it out the window. I haven't missed my PC, not once.

My Mac has never frozen up on me. I've never had a problem sending a fax, making a copy, or printing. I can't think of one problem I've had with it. My iPhone has been equally enjoyable. Last weekend, before running out the door, I downloaded the GeopherLite App and actually found some caches with it. Is it the ideal App? No, it really isn't yet ... but it certainly had it's plus side. The battery life on the iPhone IS awful, no doubt about that! So I went out and purchased (LOL) a car phone charger. I suspect those of us without iPhones had to buy cell phone chargers for our car too tho, right?

Onto the GSAK topic: I'd love to use GSAK! That costs money tho, doesn't it? :(

Onto the GSAK topic: I'd love to use GSAK! That costs money tho, doesn't it? :)

If you are cheap, you can use it for free (with a bunch of nagging) but it costs so little and do so much. It'd be a bargain at twice the price. It's worth every penny and since you can use it for planning your caching day, it could save you that much in gas in less than a couple of months of use.

Wow! a cognitive-dissonance thread. What next, Dodge versus Ford?

Actually, I think an argument over whether it's "Dodge vs. Ford" or "Chevy vs. Ford" is next up... :lol:

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
Onto the GSAK topic: I'd love to use GSAK! That costs money tho, doesn't it? :lol:

If you are cheap, you can use it for free (with a bunch of nagging) but it costs so little and do so much. It'd be a bargain at twice the price. It's worth every penny and since you can use it for planning your caching day, it could save you that much in gas in less than a couple of months of use.

Nah, I'm not cheap ... afterall, I own a Mac. I think the nagging would get to me, but I thought GSAK still wasn't available for Mac users. Now I'm starting to think I should check it out via the PC in halftrack guy's room, since he's about to ship off in a few hours. Yeah, I'm tired of bein' in the dark re: GSAK, and I need to save gas so I'll have more money to spend on keeping these computers up n' running!! :)

Don't be silly, he got a Mac 'cause it works swimmingly BETTER than Windows :rolleyes: .

You DO realize this isnt an issue, i hope.........