Which is better for gpx/loc files?

Right now I am using Easy GPS for loading the waypoints into my 60CX. I have never used GSAK. What is the difference and is one better that the other? I know that with the GSAK there can be a price to pay so you don't get the nag message and Easy GPS is free. Besides that is there a difference?
GSAK let's you do a variety of filtering. It also let's you customize what you load into your GPS and Palm. I modify the GC names to tell me the type of cache, the container type and the terrain rating (%typ1%con1%drop2 %ter1). This makes it easy to decide whether or not to stop if I'm driving by a cache. It also let's you put the hints into the notes section. It's worth 20 bucks if you cache a lot! :rolleyes:

EasyGPS is a very basic utility where you get the coords and name plus just a little other information. GSAK gives you a lot more, the ability to filter, sort, maintain different databases in a single file, move/copy between databases, write custom macros, opens PQs without unzipping and the ability to see the cache page off line (perfect for laptops), not to mention write the necessary files for a PDA if you go wireless.

I've used GPS for about five months and downloaded GSAK just to try. Within 15 minutes, I was back on the GSAK web site to pay for it since I thought it was such a good program. IMHO, if you are a premium member, you are missing so much data and ease of use if you aren't using GSAK.

My suggestion would be to download the free GSAK and if you like what you see, then pay for the registration. Nothing to loose but a few minutes of time.

Right now I am using Easy GPS for loading the waypoints into my 60CX. I have never used GSAK. What is the difference and is one better that the other? I know that with the GSAK there can be a price to pay so you don't get the nag message and Easy GPS is free. Besides that is there a difference?

Broadly speaking EasyGPS is for generic waypoint management and GSAK is for geocache management. Here are the benefits of using GSAK:

http://www.gsak.net/help/hs1000.htm

I use EasyGPS to move waypoints in/out of my gps receivers, and gpx2html to generate .html files for the paperless fun that awaits.

http://www.fizzymagic.net/Geocaching/gpx2html/gpx2html.html

Warning: GSAK-bashing follows. Members of the Cult of GSAK are forewarned to avert their eyes. :-)

GSAK is well-loved, and many people have registered it. I found the GSAK interface maddening, completely counterintuitive and bizarre. I kept coming back to it, seeing if more saddle time helped. It didn't so I uninstalled it. I wouldn't use it if they paid *me* $20 to use it. I'm serious.

I tell you this because if you install GSAK and immediately start beating your head against the wall, it's not you. It's GSAK. But don't let me scare you off it; many people are very happy with it.

Warning: GSAK-bashing follows. Members of the Cult of GSAK are forewarned to avert their eyes. :-)

GSAK is well-loved, and many people have registered it. I found the GSAK interface maddening, completely counterintuitive and bizarre. I kept coming back to it, seeing if more saddle time helped. It didn't so I uninstalled it. I wouldn't use it if they paid *me* $20 to use it. I'm serious.

I tell you this because if you install GSAK and immediately start beating your head against the wall, it's not you. It's GSAK. But don't let me scare you off it; many people are very happy with it.

One of my goals with GeoBuddy is offer the same powerful geocache searching and filtering tools that GSAK provides, but with an easy-to-use interface, ala EasyGPS (cut and paste, multiple selections, print preview, undo, etc). Maybe you'll find it a more suitable option.

One of my goals with GeoBuddy is offer the same powerful geocache searching and filtering tools that GSAK provides, but with an easy-to-use interface, ala EasyGPS (cut and paste, multiple selections, print preview, undo, etc). Maybe you'll find it a more suitable option.

If your work with EasyGPS is any indicator, I am sure it will be an excellent product. Your interfaces are clean, predictable, and efficient.

Competition is good for the health of the herd. :-)

Well, speaking as one of the nerd herd, I had no trouble using GSAK at all. I guess what is intuitive to one person, is not necesarily so intuitive to another. I actually like GSAK. I guess that's life in the nerd herd.

Oh, and I used and liked EasyGPS before GSAK. Can't speak to Geobuddy, never saw it.

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama

EasyGPS is very good at loading waypoints into your GPS. GSAK can do that aslo but it's also a database and it keeps older waypoints. You have to muck around with the database to get the points you want. Thats handy if all you want are specific caches that came in your pocket query. It's not at all handy if you just want to load your pocket query into your GPS. Then EasyGPS wins hands down.

Which is better depends on what you want to do.

RK:

Yes, of course. Always depends on what you want to do.

I also should have added that I'm usually downloading big chuks of caches and / or benchmarks directly to the SD card pulled out of my Magellan Meridian. 20 - 30 files on it, each 400 - 500 waypoints. Love that Meridian! Transfer time is a couple seconds for 400 to 500 waypoints. Then I just stick it back in my Meridian. Very efficient. GSAK also makes nice pdb files to hotlink over to my palm for Cachemate.

Those are nice features.

I use to use EasyGPS but this is the process I just went to.

Start at the Geocache page by selecting the caches you want to down load by putting checkmarks in the boxes on the right side of the screen.

At the bottom of the page select the Download Waypoints.

Next I convert the file that I just downloaded from loc to gdb using GPS Babel. This utility is located at

GPS Babel

You can also download this utility for free.

Now open the converted file in Mapsource, walla - there are the waypoints!

From here you just add the waypoints to your GPS.

If you look at the waypoint properties you will see that there is a URL to the cache page.

I keep a Geocache.gdb file to manage my “to find” and “found” caches. By having two Mapsource sessions open I just cut and paste to add new caches to my Geocache.gdb file. I also use two categories to help manage the found and unfound caches.

In text it might seem like a lot of steps but it actually works pretty nice and its all free!