Magellan eXplorist MapSend Topo 3D offer

dthurk

Hello all-

I just purchased and received a Magellan eXplorist 500 at a very good price. This unit did not come with the MapSend Topo 3D offer for $9.99. Is there a way that I can get on board with this offer? Is there a way to get the disc and enable it after the fact? How about getting the unlock code and borrowing a disc from someone to load in my computer and unlock it there?

I have not yet registered the unit, so I don't know at this point if I can buy the unlock code upon registration. I also don't know if I will be offered the Topo product at some time during the registration. So, I guess I'm looking at appealing to those who might have gone through this process to let me know if there is a way to get in on this offer.

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

Hello all-

I just purchased and received a Magellan eXplorist 500 at a very good price. This unit did not come with the MapSend Topo 3D offer for $9.99. Is there a way that I can get on board with this offer? Is there a way to get the disc and enable it after the fact? How about getting the unlock code and borrowing a disc from someone to load in my computer and unlock it there?

I have not yet registered the unit, so I don't know at this point if I can buy the unlock code upon registration. I also don't know if I will be offered the Topo product at some time during the registration. So, I guess I'm looking at appealing to those who might have gone through this process to let me know if there is a way to get in on this offer.

I don't think so. I think you only get that deal if it comes with the package you buy. I called customer service to see if I could get it and they said no. The Costco package comes with the TOPO unlock, while the Crutchfield deal comes with free DirectRoute.

Thanks for the help. We already have a Lowrance GPS navigator for the car with detail turn by turn mapping onboard the unit, so we don't really need detail mapping in another unit. We bought the Magellan for geocaching, paid $165 for it including shipping. This unit is still boxed, brand new, unused, unregistered, waiting for Christmas...but if I could somehow get in on the deal, of course I'd go for it. I think I'll keep what I've got and be happy. The Crutchfield deal is enticing, but probably not worth the effort of returning or selling what we've got for the priviledge of spending $65 (plus shipping) more for something that might be of marginal interest to us

Edited by dthurk

If it's of any help in your decision, the DirectRoute software included in the Crutchfield package provides only very basic autorouting (see this thread for a detailed contrast of Garmin vs Magellan autorouting...I don't know how Lowrance stacks up in that). If you are able to find the Topo3D packaged with the Explorist, you might find that worth some logistical effort.

We've got a Lowrance iWay 350, with detailed mapping of USA, Canada and (I believe) Mexico. It works very well at getting us to where we want to be. We have used it in the US and Canada and did well for us in both countries. I don't think we'd be happy with a basic turn by turn after that, and we probably wouldn't be happy with having to load all information onto SD cards. The Lowrance does have all maps on it's own internal harddrive. So, it sounds like DirectRoute wouldn't be something we'd be happy with.

The Topo does seem to be a better match for what we might use it for. I understand Topo also includes detailed streets. But even so, I guess we can do without it if the deal doesn't work for us.

Thanks for your help.

Hello all-

I purchased a couple of Explorist 500's from different sellers....one packge was bundled with DirectRoute NA v3 and the other was just the 500 GPSr from a local retailer. The retailer had a Magellan display ad on the counter offering the 3D Topo software for $9.99 to Expolrist purchasers, but when I got home the box did not have the DVD or coupon code. I called Magellan customer service and they gave me a fax number to fax my purchase receipt to. A few days later I recieved the DVD and coupon code from Magellan...I now have the Topo 3D installed.