New Mapsource TOPO program?

dhoenich

I have a brand new US TOPO 3-disc set if anyone is interested. It covers the West, East, Alaska and Hawaii.

Garmin was generous to me on the repair of my 60CSX last week. They sent me the software and I already had my own. I could let it go for $50? Just let me know.

Yep, they did the same thing for me when I repaired my 60CSx after cracking off a couple buttons in a fall when brand new. Even though I admitted it was my fault, they fixed the GPS for free and added the free swag of the Topo maps, a carry case (so it wouldn't happen again), another SD card,... What a company!

I also already had the Topo maps, so I gave them to a friend. Considering they're $68 new on Amazon, and not protected so you can copy from a friend at will (if you're willing to break the law), you may not be able to get a $50 price. We'll see.

That Garmin is giving out so many Topo maps for free, I suspect something much better and new is coming soon (with a copy protect this time). The Topo has not been updated in many years, with data that's decades old. It's only useful because the mountains, streams, and lakes don't move too fast. But the 160' contour resolution and trail and name accuracy could use some major improvement. I'd buy a new improved version in an instant.

I believe they're the same program, get the cheaper price, if they're both new.

OK, here's what I got. Looks like it is TOPO 3.02 discs. The package from Garmin does have the -12 part number though and the Mapsource version was 4.09. Don't know why it's a new number, but it is cheaper.

I'm not as happy with the program as I thought I'd be though. Doesn't appear that you can see the detailed maps unless you put them on the GPSr. Just has a general base map of major roads even though all the info is on the discs. (Well, on the hard drive now...) I knew it didn't auto route, but I was hoping for a little more than most of the roads being named road. It should be great for hiking, and I use my Delorme SA hooked up to the GPSr for times I need to navigate in the city, so it's not so bad.

Doesn't appear that you can see the detailed maps unless you put them on the GPSr. Just has a general base map of major roads even though all the info is on the discs.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. You can see the detailed maps on your GPS or desktop PC. The road maps are very detailed (although sometimes out of date).

Doesn't appear that you can see the detailed maps unless you put them on the GPSr. Just has a general base map of major roads even though all the info is on the discs.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. You can see the detailed maps on your GPS or desktop PC. The road maps are very detailed (although sometimes out of date).

I found the problem with that. I needed to select View GPS map detail to see it all on the PC. It would download the maps and they were on the GPSr but I couldn't see them in the mapsource screen. When I used that option running from disc, I only saw the ones I had downloaded. But, when I installed it all to my hard drive and changed the registry, they all show up fine.

Thanks,

dhoenich

I know the difference. The first link is sold by Amazon. The second link is sold by Beach Audio from Amazon's "Marketplace"

With Amazon, you have to REALLY watchout for this type of thing since the text is so small and usually overlooked. I suspect a godd percentage of people think that they are buying something from Amazon when they are not.

That seems to be the case now, but last week, they were both Amazon products. They must have sold out in their store. But they are still different part numbers. The -02 number is the one on the Garmin website and I got a Garmin packaged -12 part number. Seem to be the same product though.

Thanks,

dhoenich