Billy Twigger's recovery

Billy Twigger was one of the first active cachers in Scotland. He has set caches all over Scotland, but more recently has concentrated on placing caches on the Isle of Bute, where his family has a house. These are some of the best caches in Scotland.

He played host when we held the Scootish Geocachers' Weekend event on Bute in April 2004, and has been an active event attender ever since. Ewan achieved his 1000th cache on the top of the Empire State building in New York this summer.

After the death early this year of another much loved Scottish cacher, Bill of Team Ullium, Ewan (Billy Twigger's real name) organised a remembrance event so that Bill's wife, Angela, could be accompanied to the top of one of Bill's favourite Munros - Schiehallion, in order to spread Bill's ashes. It was also Angela's first Munro. Unfortunately, shortly after his return from America, Ewan feel ill. Although he had returned to work, he wasn't well enough to be able to attend his own event. Two days later, Ewan was placing a new cache on Bute near a cliff, and fell. He was seriously injured.

Ewan spent several months in intensive care, but he has recently been transferred to the spinal injuries unit at the Southern General Hospital in Glasgow. The outlook at the start appeared to be very bleak, but he has gradually made a recovery. The most recent news from his wife, Lorna, is that he will be wheechair bound, but has suffered no damage to his personality. Anyone who knows Ewan would describe him, as Allieballie once did as "possibly the nicest man I have ever met". He is a soft-spoken man, who makes people immediately feel at ease, and he has a great sense of humour. Ewan has two grown sons, Fraser and Callum.

At the forthcoming Hogmanay Hang-Out event in Edinburgh on December 30th, any money raised through the raffle will be donated to the spinal injuries unit, which is his family's chosen recipient. Crazy Druid is organising the raffle and will be glad of any items, especially geocaching-related ones. A good number of people have already donated various geocoins.

Ewan's mobility problems have brought into focus the need to be conscious of being able to easily identify those caches which are suitable for wheelchair users, as I hope that he will want to continue with his hobby in the future.

Edited by Firth of Forth

Really great news about Billy Twigger, I hope the recovery continues - best wishes Ewan!

Perhaps, on the back of this thread, all readers will pro-actively consider whether some of the caches they set could be made wheelchair accessible. I've found many myself that could, with a bit of thought by the setter, be made accessible. If you think of it caching is a great sport for those challenged with mobility problems. It also can make setting a cache more challenging and fun - finding a place that is accessible but yet hidden from muggles can really stretch one's mind.

Here's to you Ewan.

Edited by FollowMeChaps

I was heartened, after following the previous update thread, to hear of Billy's further recovery here.

I think it is a timely reminder to mention cache access constraints for wheelchairs and it's definately something I will consider going forward. I'm not sure that I con contribute directly to the raffle, but is there any other method by which one could donate to the spinal injuries unit?

Best wishes to all, and to Billy for a speedy continued recovery.

James & Sara

Edited by Team 'James W'

Yes, Best Wishes Ewan - We hope you make a speedy recovery. :rolleyes:

Perhaps, on the back of this thread, all readers will pro-actively consider whether some of the caches they set could be made wheelchair accessible. I've found many myself that could, with a bit of thought by the setter, be made accessible. If you think of it caching is a great sport for those challenged with mobility problems. It also can make setting a cache more challenging and fun - finding a place that is accessible but yet hidden from muggles can really stretch one's mind.

Good idea - We will bear this in mind for one of our next caches.

Could someone advise on what are the main points be considered when planning a good wheelchair accessable cache? I'm thinking of the ones that wouldn't be immediately obvious and we that we may miss.

Yes, Best Wishes Ewan - We hope you make a speedy recovery. :rolleyes:

Good idea - We will bear this in mind for one of our next caches.

Could someone advise on what are the main points be considered when planning a good wheelchair accessable cache? I'm thinking of the ones that wouldn't be immediately obvious and we that we may miss.

- Nearby parking or access to wheelchair-accessible public transportation

- Less than five feet off the ground

- No stairs, heavily rutted paths, steep banks or logs to cross

- No strolls along the railroad tracks

- Common sense: Walk the path from the parking to the cache, could a person in a chair actually roll to the cache? Keep in mind, some handi-cachers do it all and cannot count on a walking partner to push/carry them over obstacles, reach into high places, or otherwise find the cache for them.

- Nearby parking or access to wheelchair-accessible public transportation

- Less than five feet off the ground

- No stairs, heavily rutted paths, steep banks or logs to cross

- No strolls along the railroad tracks

- Common sense: Walk the path from the parking to the cache, could a person in a chair actually roll to the cache? Keep in mind, some handi-cachers do it all and cannot count on a walking partner to push/carry them over obstacles, reach into high places, or otherwise find the cache for them.

My latest micro fits all of these, except that I have to check the height. It will be nice to be able to click the wheelchair-friendly attribute again. My first wheelchair-friendly cache is actually easier to find in a wheelchair than standing up: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...54-224cc2041660

Ewan and his Family continue to be held in our thoughts.

Thanks for keeping us up to date with his present condition and progress.

Please continue to provide updates as and when you are able, they are much appreciated by many cachers.

Good wishes for the Event, a bit to far from Cardiff for a day out caching, although we noticed Forth of Firth did have a brief excursion into South Wales recently!

This sounds like a excuse to plant some caches on, near and about Bute. Wheelchair friendly of-course. I'm sure BigRab and I, will be able to organise some. If anyone else wants to join in just let us know, maybe put some of Ewan's tricks into play, too.

Ewan, good to hear your continuing to improve. Hopefully you be able to do some caching in the future.

Aye,

Ken.

J33P KN.

Ewan's Dad contacted me at the end of November. He is extremely grateful and impressed by the response from the geocaching community.

Ewan is, mercifully, sharp mentally and quite philosophical about his new circumstances. The family will, however, need to move house to accomodate his needs. He is learning how to use a wheelchair and has come on immeasurably since the accident.

Oh - and it's worth pointing out that the funds raised for Spinal Injuries Scotland stand now at £230, not counting what Mandy has raised through the sale of the geocaching calendar. The Hogmanay Hang Out event in Edinburgh on December 30th will also likely raise a good sum of money which will be donated to the spinal injuries unit where Ewan is currently receiving help.

Edited by Firth of Forth

Oh - and it's worth pointing out that the funds raised for Spinal Injuries Scotland stand now at £230, not counting what Mandy has raised through the sale of the geocaching calendar. The Hogmanay Hang Out event in Edinburgh on December 30th will also likely raise a good sum of money which will be donated to the spinal injuries unit where Ewan is currently receiving help.

That's £280 thanks to everyone who donated at the North East Christmas bash, which has just been donated at the site - it's much appreciated!

Ewan's family received their geocaching calendar, courtesy of Us 4 and Jess and are very grateful! Ewan knows all about the Hogmanay bash and has asked to thank everybody involved.

There have been ups and downs. He has struggled with terrible pain and most recently a nasty bout of pneumonia. However, he has improved a lot in the last few days, but he still has a long way to go before he can return home.

Ewan hopes that some of his Geocaching pals will be able to visit him next year. His wife wants to thank the Geocaching community for their kind wishes, letters and messages. She and his sons are very touched by everyone's kindness.

Edited by Firth of Forth

I have had some email correspondence with Ewan's Dad.

Unfortunately, Ewan's recovery hasn't been a smooth one in recent months. He had to have an operation in March and several times it was touch and go whether he would pull through. However, he is now back to focusing on recovery and getting used to using a wheelchair. Despite these setbacks, Ewan manages to keep in good spirits.

I'm sure that everyone here will join me in sending our sincere wishes for continued progress.

For new cachers who may not know Ewan (aka Billy Twigger), he fell off a cliff on the Isle of Bute at the end of the summer last year, while placing a cache. He suffered major injuries, and was in intensive care for a prolonged period, moving onto the Spinal Injuries unit in Glasgow towards the end of last year. BT as we like to call him is a cacher-setter extraodinaire and made many friends in the geocaching community.

Edited by Firth of Forth

I have had some email correspondence with Ewan's Dad.

Unfortunately, Ewan's recovery hasn't been a smooth one in recent months. He had to have an operation in March and several times it was touch and go whether he would pull through. However, he is now back to focusing on recovery and getting used to using a wheelchair. Despite these setbacks, Ewan manages to keep in good spirits.

I'm sure that everyone here will join me in sending our sincere wishes for continued progress.

For new cachers who may not know Ewan (aka Billy Twigger), he fell off a cliff on the Isle of Bute at the end of the summer last year, while placing a cache. He suffered major injuries, and was in intensive care for a prolonged period, moving onto the Spinal Injuries unit in Glasgow towards the end of last year. BT as we like to call him is a cacher-setter extraodinaire and made many friends in the geocaching community.

Thank for the update, I'm sure everyone joins me in wishing Billy a continued and hopefully speedy recovery.

i'm pretty sure BT visited a few of my old caches before they were archived and placed a little pebble inukshuk in one of them that i suspect he made himself. i swapped it out and still have it on the window ledge in my front room. i think of billy and me and my son's visit to bute everytime i look at it :ph34r:

good luck and best wishes Billy

Gary

Edited by Inukshuk

Glad to hear that BT is making progress, even if it is slow and difficult, at least it's going in the right direction over a period of time. Against early expectations, this is good news.

I was thinking of Billy just last weekend when I came across his card in a cache in the Forest of Dean. All best wishes from all of us for his continued recovery.

More news from Ewan's Dad:

He now has a wheelchair that is fitted to his body shape and is therefore much more comfortable. He is spending up to 5 hours a day in it, but it's pretty exhausting work. Ewan's thinking remains positive and he recently enjoyed watching all of the televised football in the day-room.

He can also access a computer with some aids. Ewan's sister ran the Womens 10k in Glasgow and raised £650 for Spinal Injuries Scotland.

He has had family members to visit and a few work colleagues. He would be pleased to see any geocacher who would care to visit. If you would like to do so, please get in touch with me and I can pass on a contact number to telephone his wife to arrange the best time.

B):DB)

Really sorry to hear about the accident. I live on Bute and it was through Eric (obviously) that I took up the interest, due to a change in my personal circumstances I was off line for a few months. Really pleased to hear he is making good progress. Though I don't think we have met he has given a great deal of pleasure to myself and others. Please pass om my thoughts

I live on Bute and it was through Eric (obviously) that I took up the interest,

:D:blink::)B):o:)B):DB)

Why am I laughing? Well his name is Ewan not Eric. Still not funny? Well I thought for over a year that his name was Eric due to his email address. Ewan is far to polite to actually correct you, or he is to mean and enjoys having a laugh. :P

Really sorry to hear about the accident. I live on Bute and it was through Eric (obviously) that I took up the interest, due to a change in my personal circumstances I was off line for a few months. Really pleased to hear he is making good progress. Though I don't think we have met he has given a great deal of pleasure to myself and others. Please pass om my thoughts

I once threatened to place a cache on Bute in revenge for "Whose fault is it" and told Ewan that I would get "Nightfeeder" to maintain it...

Repy was that I'd have hundreds of complaints if the only Bute Joiner was fixing caches instead of doors... :)

Might be a chance to keep an eye on his Bute caches for a wee while Robert....

At the SGDO, several people asked about Ewan, but I didn't have any more news at that time.

However, I received an email from Ewan's Dad just yesterday, and this is what he says:

"Ewan continues to do well with no appreciable set-backs from when I last wrote. He is still in the Spinal Injuries Unit at the Southern General but the staff there are working towards getting him ready to go into a Care Home for a few months. That should happen some time this month but there's no fixed date yet.

He has had three 'outings'. The first was to the RSPB centre at Lochwinnoch, the second to Kelvingrove Art Gallery and the third, yesterday, to PC World at Finneston - all well organised and accompanied by a nurse and an occupational therapist.

Ewan has been doing great things with a computer. He has a very good tutor who has got him on to voice recognition software and this has opened up whole new possibilities. He has even been surfing the net and a session in the computer room is a tremendous fillip for him."

So, good news! Visits from some of the cachers who know him may be appreciated in the not too distant future.

PS It's almost a year since BT's accident. It's been a long slow road for him since then with a lot of setbacks, but things are looking much brighter for him now. His resilience, fortitude and positive outlook have been amazing

Edited by Firth of Forth

More news from Ewan's Dad:

"The move to a care home hasn't happened yet; it's a matter of a place becoming available and the arranging of training for their staff regarding Ewan's special needs. The move should take place this month, we hope.

I've spoken to Ewan and Lorna about visits from fellow cachers and they'd both be very pleased to see people.

Probably the best approach is for you or your friends to liaise directly with Lorna or with Fraser (Ewan's son). The best times are probably late afternoons i.e. from about 3.15/3.30pm - he's often in the computer room until then. By the way, he has now bought his own lap-top - a declaration of intent if ever there was one!"

I can supply phone numbers for Lorna or Fraser if anyone wishes to contact me. I think it would be great if a few cachers could go to visit Ewan.

For those of you who would like to know how Ewan is doing:

I've had a nice email from Ewan's Dad. There continue to be ups and downs for Ewan. He has suffered from episodes of high temperature caused by various infections over the last few months, which have been a setback for him. He is due to have an operation to remove kidney stones which may be at the root of these infections. It has been postponed on at least one occasion due to his temperature, but will hopefully happen soon. All this has meant longer periods in bed, less access to physiotherapy and less computer practice.

His family have been able to sell their house and find a bungalow nearby, which when altered will accommodate his wheelchair.