Custom Icons

Grasscatcher

Pardon my ignorance, but I JUST posted something about custom waypoint symbols. Sorry to repeat myself, but how do you get those symbols into the "Custom" portion of your GPSr and when you download to MapSource, do they move also? I have xImage and can't figure it out. I'm not actually stupid, just un-knowing.

Thanks.

Heres my Attempt at it:

185132cf-e630-4c53-9558-fe858cee20bf.jpg

Got GPS,

Do you still have these Icons ? More? and would you be willing to post them?

Pardon my ignorance, but I JUST posted something about custom waypoint symbols. Sorry to repeat myself, but how do you get those symbols into the "Custom" portion of your GPSr and when you download to MapSource, do they move also? I have xImage and can't figure it out. I'm not actually stupid, just un-knowing.

Thanks.

Heres my Attempt at it:

185132cf-e630-4c53-9558-fe858cee20bf.jpg

Got GPS,

Do you still have these Icons ? More? and would you be willing to post them?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=2560582

This link helped me get started , and I'm slowly creating a few in Adobe Photoshop Elements

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Thank you Grasscatcher for the link and ThePropers for the wonderful, detailed information found here.

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I wasn't having trouble creating the symbols, but getting them into the GPSr and back into MapSource. I am now on my way (and HAPPY).

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

(LOVE this forum!)

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=2560582

This link helped me get started , and I'm slowly creating a few in Adobe Photoshop Elements

Sputnik 57,

Note: link doesn't work .....

Thanks, I had already found that one and was looking more for non GC specific icons. Just something unique for marking different classes of Custom POIs.

Also, maybe some more unique Benchmarking ones. I've only seen three so far and couldn't identify specifically what they were.

I've created 4-5 and modified several others. When I do a few more I'll post them. In order to do that , do I just capture a xImage screen shot ,convert it to a jpg and attach it to a "post"?

With lots of artistic minds out there, it would be interesting to see other, more imaginative creations than mine.

OK, I have another question regarding waypoint symbols...

MapSource has a whole bunch of symbols that aren't in the GPSr, and vice-versa, and therefore don't display the same when one does an upload/download from PC to unit. Is there anyway to get each to display what the other has?

I have a GPSmap 60CSx and MapSource 6.10.2.

Thanks.

Go to Garmin site and update (free) to latest ver of Mapsource (6.11.5).

In Mapsource, be sure that you have the correct (your model) GPS selected.

Mapsource and GPS should then agree, and upload/download symbols should transfer correctly.

At the time of the transfer( either way) any symbol that is not duplicated in the receiving unit (like maybe custom made symbols) will be assigned the default symbol. (whatever the receiving unit is set on at the time). (Or in the case of Mapsource on your PC, the little black square)

I upgraded to 6.11.5. But there are many symbols in MapSource that aren't listed in the unit, which are then defaulted to the blue flag. How can I get the symbols I designate in MapSource to show in my GPSr, short of creating a custom symbol?

Mapsource and GPS should then agree, and upload/download symbols should transfer correctly.

At the time of the transfer( either way) any symbol that is not duplicated in the receiving unit (like maybe custom made symbols) will be assigned the default symbol. (whatever the receiving unit is set on at the time). (Or in the case of Mapsource on your PC, the little black square)

I upgraded to 6.11.5. But there are many symbols in MapSource that aren't listed in the unit, which are then defaulted to the blue flag. How can I get the symbols I designate in MapSource to show in my GPSr, short of creating a custom symbol?

Set Mapsource on YOUR model, and it will only show what symbols are compatible to YOUR GPS.

The only reason points sent from Mapsource to your unit defaulted to the blue flag is because that is what symbol YOU had selected in your unit WHEN THE POINTS WERE TRANSFERRED.

Re-read and understand the last paragraph in the quote above.

Set Mapsource on YOUR model, and it will only show what symbols are compatible to YOUR GPS.

The only reason points sent from Mapsource to your unit defaulted to the blue flag is because that is what symbol YOU had selected in your unit WHEN THE POINTS WERE TRANSFERRED.

Re-read and understand the last paragraph in the quote above.

I DID read and understand your last paragraph: my GPS model is correctly selected (Utilities >> Get Unit ID, and it shows GPSMap60CSX in the Device drop down, with no other choices and I can't find any other way to change it). But MapSource shows MORE symbols than what are compatible to MY GPS, (as well as having more, some just aren't the same): MS has 211, including letters, numbers, "contacts" plus the 24 custom ones My GPSr has 162 plus custom, and, coincidently, the only "little black square" is the one I created in the "custom" section (on the unit)! I don't think I'm missing anything. And I understand the "blue flag" issue.

One reason I'm being so particular is that I'm color blind and have trouble seeing many of the symbols in both MS and GPSr, against various backgrounds, and would like the ones I select to transfer to the unit - except they don't appear in the unit!

Thanks for putting up with me. :)

I DID read and understand your last paragraph: my GPS model is correctly selected (Utilities >> Get Unit ID, and it shows GPSMap60CSX in the Device drop down, with no other choices and I can't find any other way to change it). But MapSource shows MORE symbols than what are compatible to MY GPS, (as well as having more, some just aren't the same): MS has 211, including letters, numbers, "contacts" plus the 24 custom ones My GPSr has 162 plus custom, and, coincidently, the only "little black square" is the one I created in the "custom" section (on the unit)! I don't think I'm missing anything. And I understand the "blue flag" issue.

One reason I'm being so particular is that I'm color blind and have trouble seeing many of the symbols in both MS and GPSr, against various backgrounds, and would like the ones I select to transfer to the unit - except they don't appear in the unit!

Thanks for putting up with me. :sad:

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I just bought this unit and I am going through the same issues. Seems stupid that my symbols don't match and there doesnt seem to be a way to tell MS I am using a specific unit.

I have also been trying to figure out a way to send the additional icons that MapSource has to my VistaC but I haven't gotten anywhere. It seems odd that they would have them in MapSource and not let you use them in the GPS. I'll be watching this post. Hope someone can get to the bottom of this!