Digital camera in cache

Rainwater

OK, here is an idea. I have one of those small el-cheapo digital cameras, the ones that dont even have a display of what you took, just a couple of menu items and a display to show how many pictures you have taken. Anyhow I was thinking of a way to attach this to the inside of a cache that would be about head high. You couldnt move the cache but when you opened the lid, it would take a picture of your face. Then I could once a certain number of people find the cache go download the camera and post the pictures on the cache page. How many people would do this knowing it would take a picture of thier mug?

Not everyone wants thier picture taken...

Well, I would state that the picture would be take as soon as the cache was opened up. I was going to rig it up so that it would come on when the door is opened and then snap the picture like 2 seconds later...i guess I could put a "warning" light so someone could duck right before the picture was taken.

Use a biggish battery for the camera. Most of the cheapies use SDRAM to store the photos, and that means that they'll be lost if the battery goes flat!

If you run wires out to a couple of D-cell alkalines you should get a few month's backup time, for when the find frequency goes down.

Use a biggish battery for the camera. Most of the cheapies use SDRAM to store the photos, and that means that they'll be lost if the battery goes flat!

If you run wires out to a couple of D-cell alkalines you should get a few month's backup time, for when the find frequency goes down.

I was thinking more like 4 D-cells (2 sets of 2 wired in parallel) for the longevity of power. Also will have to wire a circuit up to power everything up when the cache is opened, turn the camera on, wait 2 secs then activate the shutter, this circuit could be powered by either the same d-cells or maybe even a separate 9 volt. It turns itself off after about 30 secs so powering down is not a problem. I am thinking a large ammo box mounted about head level. I think the whole thing excluding the batteries would take up no more room then a large altoids can.

I would use a regular film camera...that way you don't have to worry about batteries going flat or loosing photos (deleting ones taken).

As far as an auto-trigger and opt-in/out. Just put the camera in the cache with instructions telling them to take their own photo...knowing that doing so...you will publish the photos. If they don't want their photos posted...then don't take your photo.

KE4MUR

I think any cache can be a good idea! Just the way you list it can make the difference. Would be fun to know that when you open a cache a picture is being taken! It might even discourage coin stealers and cachers that dont log any finds. And Im sure you may end up with a few photos that are unexpected...lol. Go for it and make it fun! Thats what counts.

I have the cheap throw-away cameras in a few of my caches. Some finders take pictures, some don't. I find that some want to take a picture of their "cache puppy", some their kids. How can they do that with your set up?

When the camera is exhausted, I go and have "negatives only" processing and I go home and scan the negatives to post online. Much cheaper than getting prints or cd's. (unless you don't have a scanner).

Something to consider.

Can you say........MUGGLED CAMERA?

Again.........M-U-G-G-L-E-D CAMERA.

Now.........one more time with lots of emphasis on the "muggled" part.......................

......................."MUGGLED Camera!!"

There! Ya got it!!

Chuckwagon :rolleyes:

I am not sure I understand your rather bellicose post, but are you saying don't put a $3. disposable camera in a cache because it might get muggled (stolen, I think you mean)?

Does that logic extend to all items? Only put cheap stuff in 'em bacause it might get taken?

Ed

Without an opt out on the picture taking and posting, I think this would be a violation of the terms of use of the site. Use of publishing tools and forums:

(k) Collect or store personal data about other Site users.

I think it would fly if on your cache page you put something like:

IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR PICTURE TAKEN DO NOT LOOK FOR THIS CACHE

[quote name='TheAlabamaRambler' date='Nov 10 2006, 04:40 PM' post='2562542'

What does all your rigamarole add to that simple solution beside cost, complexity and frustration??

Ed

Cost=$0.00 I have all the parts to do this. I am an electronics tech so I have TONS of junk in my shed

Complexity= wont be complex...at least for me. I think a couple of simple one shot timer circuits will be all it needs to make it work.

Frustration=Fun! I like to make things. Especially when it involves electronics so I dont think it will be frustrating to me...a simple challenge but not frustrating

Now.........one more time with lots of emphasis on the "muggled" part.......................

I was thinking like a locked box containing the camera attached to the inside of a large ammo box attached to a tree or a post. This way they cant take either one. The camera would be permenatly attched to the ammo box. All I would have to do is take my laptop out and download the pictures off the camera and maybe check/change batteries. Besides if someone did muggle the cache, then it would take a picture of them...LOL...then I could print the picture and put up a wanted sign...LOL

Edited by Rainwater

Without an opt out on the picture taking and posting, I think this would be a violation of the terms of use of the site. Use of publishing tools and forums:

I think it would fly if on your cache page you put something like:

IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR PICTURE TAKEN DO NOT LOOK FOR THIS CACHE

I agree. I would for sure put the info in the cache page, that is what I was thinking the cache to be more so about then anything else.

I was thinking like a locked box containing the camera attached to the inside of a large ammo box attached to a tree or a post. This way they cant take either one. The camera would be permenatly attched to the ammo box. All I would have to do is take my laptop out and download the pictures off the camera and maybe check/change batteries. Besides if someone did muggle the cache, then it would take a picture of them...LOL...then I could print the picture and put up a wanted sign...LOL

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

***NEWS FLASH!***

CAMERA MUGGLED! Details below.

Along with the camera, there was stolen:

*an ammo box

*a larger locked box

*and one (1) tree

:ph34r:

:)

***NEWS FLASH!***

CAMERA MUGGLED! Details below.

Along with the camera, there was stolen:

*an ammo box

*a larger locked box

*and one (1) tree

:)

LOL...nooo...this little camera is only worth about as much as a couple of those throw away cameras...its not a large deal if it got stolen.

Agreed, IK .

Nothing personal, but a pic taken by someone when I am sweat soaked and grime covered and have spiderwebs all over my face would make me want to muggle your camera, even though it is not in my nature to do so.

A simple inexpensive disposable Kodak left in the cache in a nice ziplock will ensure that you have voluntary pics taken for those who don't mind. Most folks I know will gladly do this of their own volition.