Do you actually have to use a GPS? (Brand new, please be gentle!)

Amanita_d

Tried my hand at my first ever cache today, a multi which I didn't have time to finish, but will come back to at the weekend. I plotted the co-ordinates on a map and printed it, and used that to find the places, but it only occurred to me afterwards that maybe the GPS part of it was obligatory?

I know this is probably the sort of question where the answer is really obvious to everyone reading this, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking any rules before I claimed a cache 'found'. So, is it ok to do it the way I have done, or do I actually have to have a unit in my hand for it to count?

Tried my hand at my first ever cache today, a multi which I didn't have time to finish, but will come back to at the weekend. I plotted the co-ordinates on a map and printed it, and used that to find the places, but it only occurred to me afterwards that maybe the GPS part of it was obligatory?

I know this is probably the sort of question where the answer is really obvious to everyone reading this, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking any rules before I claimed a cache 'found'. So, is it ok to do it the way I have done, or do I actually have to have a unit in my hand for it to count?

cool! congrats.. keep going.. no gps required. it just makes it a lot easier :unsure:

There are a few very experienced Geocachers who do NOT use a GPS to find caches. But when hiding Caches they often have someone check the coords for them before publication, or fine tune them after publication. If you can find them without a GPS, your orienteering skill will be respected and you will be welcomed to the club.

Seeking, no GPS required.

Hiding, yes:

Cache Listing Requirements, Guidelines that Apply to all Cache Types

You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS. If time allows take several reading at different times over a few days and average the results. This will help you achieve greater accuracy on your coordinates. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

intersting typo: "If time allows take several reading at different"

Edited by Markwell

What maps did you use? I'm waiting to get my GPS for Christmas and I just can't wait to start!!

For seeking a cache, you only need to be able to find it. If you use the by gosh and by golly method, or use the force to guide you, or maybe you can just read maps reall well...it's all a find.

When listing a cache this site has made it clear that the use of a GPS should be part of the hunt for caches. As for using one to obtain coordinates for the cache you have listed, the goal is accuracy. Not the use of a GPS.

So, is it ok to do it the way I have done, or do I actually have to have a unit in my hand for it to count?

I am glad that someone else asked this. I have been antsy the past few days, because I want to go find some caches, but my husband wants to wait for his next paycheck before buying a GPS. Now I can go and find the one up the road. It is a simple one, or it looks that way. I guess I will find out! :laughing:

So, is it ok to do it the way I have done, or do I actually have to have a unit in my hand for it to count?

I am glad that someone else asked this. I have been antsy the past few days, because I want to go find some caches, but my husband wants to wait for his next paycheck before buying a GPS. Now I can go and find the one up the road. It is a simple one, or it looks that way. I guess I will find out! :laughing:

Go for it!

I actually get to guide my daughter to caches every so often when she's out without her gps and I'm at home with google earth. It's fun for me! And I've hunted a few that way. One of my sons does too.

Go for it!

I actually get to guide my daughter to caches every so often when she's out without her gps and I'm at home with google earth. It's fun for me! And I've hunted a few that way. One of my sons does too.

I have actually listed I think 60r 8 finds with out a GPS. All of them have been in the city. have two I have gone back to a couple of times to look and not found. haveing a blast looking though.

What maps did you use? I'm waiting to get my GPS for Christmas and I just can't wait to start!!

I used maps.google.co.uk to find the places marked by the co-ordinates. Because of the particular type of cache it was, all the co-ordinates were listed for the intermediate places, so I then marked them all with pushpins on local.live.com and printed out a map with pushpins. Maybe it was a puzzle rather than a multi... I'm not sure :blink: gotta get the hang of this lingo!

It's probably not the best way of doing it, but it saves investing a fair chunk of money in a hobby before I've even tried it (been there, done that, would rather avoid it in future!) and at least here (Central London) the co-ordinates and map seem to match up pretty closely, so I had no trouble finding the 5 locations I did yesterday, anyway.

I used maps.google.co.uk to find the places marked by the co-ordinates. Because of the particular type of cache it was, all the co-ordinates were listed for the intermediate places, so I then marked them all with pushpins on local.live.com and printed out a map with pushpins. Maybe it was a puzzle rather than a multi... I'm not sure :rolleyes: gotta get the hang of this lingo!

It's probably not the best way of doing it, but it saves investing a fair chunk of money in a hobby before I've even tried it (been there, done that, would rather avoid it in future!) and at least here (Central London) the co-ordinates and map seem to match up pretty closely, so I had no trouble finding the 5 locations I did yesterday, anyway.

Ah, another London cacher! Well done on finding your first caches, now I'd recommend you log the caches (to keep track of what you've done) and then maybe pay a visit to the UK section of the forums to say hi!

By no means is it required to use a GPS to find a cache, I found my first 20 or so caches with just an image from Google Earth and Google Maps. I still cache with a GPS in conjunction with an Ordnance Survey map though, you just can't beat them!

Seeking, no GPS required.

Hiding, yes:

Cache Listing Requirements, Guidelines that Apply to all Cache Types

You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS. If time allows take several reading at different times over a few days and average the results. This will help you achieve greater accuracy on your coordinates. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

intersting typo: "If time allows take several reading at different"

actually for hiding you may want to try letterboxing similiar to geocaching without the gps

This guy has found most of his finds without a GPS.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....8a-e9b0414bcd55

I use both a map and GPSr to find caches. Maps don't care about cloud cover.

I suggest using USGS 7.5 minute maps. You can get tools online to help you plot UTM and Lat/Lon coordinates on these maps, and the maps show you a great deal of detail. Of course get yourself a compass.

It takes some practice to use a USGS map correctly and accurately. I learned my map reading and land nav skills in the military, and the US Army map reading manual is on-line (for free; don't buy Amazons!). It explains the basics of UTM map reading. I also suggest you visit maptools.com for protractors and an online tutorial as well.

I suppose you could use google earth, but I think using a real USGS map, protractor, and compass requires skill. I repect the ability of a GPSr-less cacher who can do it with a real map alone.

I suggest using USGS 7.5 minute maps. You can get tools online to help you plot UTM and Lat/Lon coordinates on these maps, and the maps show you a great deal of detail. Of course get yourself a compass.

That sounds interesting, but from what I've been able to find out from my brief research this morning, that is a US-only solution? Is there an equivalent in the UK that I could use?

I've always been interested in mapreading, and I loved orienteering since I was a kid, so I wouldn't be shy of trying that kind of challenge :laughing: